leek and some other vegetable soup

Do you like soup? Of course you do. Because if you didn’t, I wouldn’t want to know you. When people say they don’t like soup it pretty much enrages me. Yup. I totally want to freak on them. It’s like saying you don’t like potatoes. What the? Who doesn’t like potatoes? Who doesn’t like soup?

This soup is no fail. A monkey could make it. As long as that monkey had access to a stove, some veggies and a hand blender. Oh, and a hair net.

Here at the Cat Farm it’s big pot season. When you’re as busy (and important) as I am, you have to make a big pot of something on Sunday and pray it keeps you going until Wednesday. Soups, stews, chilis, pastas and sauces. I eat the contents of the big pot for my lunches at the studio, and 2.0 eats the contents each night when he gets home from work.

With all of the talking I do at work, soup is the perfect restorative snack between classes. This week my throat feels like it has been lined with sandpaper. It could be the hours of yelling inspiring, or it could be the mould and dust I’m ingesting for several hours a day. Either way, I figured a big pot of Leek and Some Other Vegetable Soup might help.

There are several variations of this recipe – it depends on what type of veggies you want to throw into your big pot. I’ve listed a couple of options below, but I’m sure you’ll have some ideas of your own as well. It’s tasty, smooth and filling. Great as a starter, or a meal on its own.

Go forth. Eat soup.

Leek and Some Other Vegetable Soup – a recipe from Rosie Beaucoup – download soup recipe

• four leeks, diced
  • two onions, diced or sliced
  • two potatoes, peeled and diced
  • broccoli (small to medium head) OR four large carrots + one large tart apple OR one smallish squash + one large tart apple
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • two cups cream OR even better: one can Carnation fat-free evaporated skim milk
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup white wine
  • salt and pepper to taste

Slice or dice the onions and leeks. Sauté in olive oil or butter until soft but not too brown. Throw in your veggies of choice (options listed above) and diced potato. Cover with chicken broth. Add about a teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste). Add wine. Cover and cook until veggies are done – usually about 20  minutes. Cool slightly. Blend the soup to a smooth creamy texture. Stir in the cream and simmer for about 30 minutes.

12 Responses to leek and some other vegetable soup

1. movita's sister September 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Adam Icing didn’t like taters when he was a kid. That’s why, to this day, he can’t do simple math or roll his tongue.

2. movita's sister September 14, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

Oh wait. You’re the one who can’t do simple math or roll your tongue.

3. heatherjay September 14, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

I actually made a lovely leek and potato soup this weekend…twice. With all organic, delicious veggies from Ironwood Farm, right down to the herbs. And although it was extremely delectable (thus, I made it twice), it did not cure the scratchy throat and incessant cough…good luck with that.

• movitabeaucoup September 15, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Well, sadly, I didn’t have Ironwood veggies in my soup, so I may be doomed…

4. Marsha Sefcik Interiors September 17, 2010 at 10:01 am #

Since we have a rainy day, I’m going to whip up a pot of this soup for dinner tonight. I’m with you, I think soup is fab. It’s nice and warm in the tummy- pure comfort food. Are you heading out this weekend to the Open Farm Days?

• movitabeaucoup September 17, 2010 at 10:41 am #

I wish! I have to yell work all weekend!

I hope you enjoy the soup – let me know how it turns out!

5. Marsha Sefcik Interiors September 17, 2010 at 11:28 am #

well, i will have to make the soup tomorrow as there isn’t a leek to be bought on the Eastern Shore today. We have a sobeys and a superstore and neither of them has any leeks. What the heck?? I will p/up leeks when I come into town tomorrow to do my grocery shopping. Sad really, that with two big grocery stores out here, one must still drive to dartmouth for groceries. If you do not mind me asking, what/where do you twork/ yell ? lol .

• movitabeaucoup September 17, 2010 at 11:48 am #

I went to the Superstore two weeks ago (in Halifax) and couldn’t get a whole chicken. What? And then last week couldn’t get chicken thighs. Double what? So frustrating.

I am a full time ballet teacher. Thus the yelling inspiring.

6. Marsha Sefcik Interiors September 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

well, i made the soup today with veggies and even the leeks from our Taproot farms CSA and it was delish. We are a dairy free family due to some allergies so I subbed the cream with some unsweetened almond milk. The open farm days were awesome. Cooking up tons of apples this week. I see lots of baking in my future.

• movitabeaucoup September 22, 2010 at 8:34 am #

I’m glad the soup turned out! I’m hoping we’ll hit some apple orchards soon… maybe we’ll even do a u-pick. Yum!

7. movita beaucoup May 11, 2015 at 10:06 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in September 2010. Happy cooking!