ruffled wreath

I saw the tutorial for this wreath last year via Kristen at Domestifluff. I’ve been dying to make it ever since. Ain’t it right pretty like?

You’re going to need a lot of felt circles. I used at least 200, about 3 inches in diameter. I made a template out of sturdy paper, folded big pieces of felt in half and then cut them out two at a time. It was time consuming, but easy as pie. Actually, it didn’t take that long. Maybe a couple of hours in front of the television. But I plan to tell people it took me four days of straight cutting.

The tutorial over at Domestifluff is very straight forward. Basically, you make little felt rosettes out of the circles and then pin them into a wreath form. I used a white styrofoam form, and white felt. You could use any colour combination you like. I pinned the rosettes fairly close together, and changed their rotation as I was pinning to create variety. I also found it easiest to work around the wreath in rows – filling the spaces in from the centre of the wreath out to the edges, but that’s just me.

Basically, a monkey could make this wreath. (Provided it didn’t get its fur all over the white felt.) And if a monkey could do it, you probably could too.

7 Responses to ruffled wreath

1. emmalina73 November 9, 2010 at 11:32 am #

I hate it when monkey’s get all up in your crafts. Mess everywhere, fingers in inappropriate places, no appreciation for the fine details of colour co-ordination and working to an ordered plan. Of course the same can be said about my children but they are related to me (by blood) so I am obliged to indulge them. Monkey’s? No way Jose.

Good wreath by the way and only 200 circles of felt to cut out you say….I think I’ll be content to simply appreciate a job well done on this occasion ; )

• movita November 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

Suggestion: use your children as a child labour force. Get ‘em cutting felt circles. Make ‘em earn their keep.

• emmalina73 November 10, 2010 at 11:11 am #

I would if I didn’t think I would end up with circles cut out of my furniture and a wreath made out of my own hair. They are unreliable that way…need to work on that.

2. Rosie Beaucoup November 11, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

Sweet, sweet wreath. Know what would look charming below it on the sideboard? A tin mould of steamed cranberry pudding!

• movita November 11, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

If you like the wreath, wait until I reveal my felt ruffled snowballs! I made one this afternoon! I’m going to have several hanging in the front window for the holidays.

(And I’m choosing to ignore that comment about the cranberry pudding.)

3. P.Kitty November 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm #

What about a Monkey jumping? could a jumping monkey do this craft?

• movita November 15, 2010 at 8:57 am #

Only if the monkey was wearing a hairnet. That fur would really get all over the felt if the monkey were sans hairnet.