baked tomato and egg goodness

Yesterday was a snow day at work. But it was my day off, so it was a total rip off. So now I’m sitting here thinking about breakfast. How are the two connected? They aren’t. I guess I’m on a breakfast kick. It could be worse. I could be into cocaine.

I could live on breakfast food. From sweet to savoury, light to full-meal deal, it’s all good, sister. Also, it’s socially acceptable to eat breakfast foods in bed. Spaghetti in bed? Frowned upon. But pancakes? Somehow that syrupy mess meets societal norms and standards.

Tomatoes and eggs. A perfect match. Throw some cheese in there and little dill? Yowza.

Baked Tomato and Egg Goodness – inspired by many – download some egg goodness

• olive oil
  • 1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
  • one small onion, diced
  • half of a small red pepper, diced (optional)
  • pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 2-3 tomatoes, diced (2 largish tomatoes or three small)
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano or italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup feta or goat cheese, chopped or crumbled
  • 1 teaspoon squeeze tube dill or a small handful of fresh
  • 2-3 eggs

Heat some olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) in a skillet over medium heat. Throw in the onion, garlic, red pepper and red pepper flakes. Saute until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, oregano or italian seasoning and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and mix in your cheese and dill. Remove from heat. Transfer tomato mixture to an oven-safe dish. Crack eggs on top of mixture (use a spoon to create a depression/well in the mixture for each egg). Bake at 425° until egg whites have set, about 15 minutes (check at 10 minutes).

8 Responses to baked tomato and egg goodness

1. emmalina73 January 28, 2011 at 11:15 am #

It’s like you are a breakfast magician. Which is much better than being, like, a lunch magician. Breakfast really is the only meal that counts, I too could live on breakfast food. It is only the pressure of others that makes me eat actual meals instead of breakfasty wonder all the time. Damn you society. Damn you.

2. peasepudding January 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

Perfect, I’m going to have this for breakfast after swimming, something tasty with protein and no carbs!

3. peasepudding January 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

It’s was truely delicious! Thanks

• movita January 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

Yay! I’m so glad you liked it. I’m assuming, of course, that you ate it in bed.

4. Michele, Movita's cousin February 21, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

There’s a long crazy animal story that leads up to what I’m going say-but I’m going to skip that and just say one thing that happened- the woman of the farm house gave me 2 FRESH EGGS from the chicken coup, just layed, by her hens! The first time in my life I had fresh eggs directly from happy chickens running around in a yard. OMG- they were the best eggs ever! (Well, not as good as eggs from Movita or Rosie), but soooo good. The brightest orange yolks I have ever seen! Wow! To think of those eggs with goat cheese—maybe some day!!

• movita February 22, 2011 at 6:08 am #

It’s hard to believe that fresh eggs can taste more “eggy,” but I think they do! It’s gotta be all that running around the farm they do. Maybe happy chickens produce better eggs?

So, when are you coming for that visit?

5. movita beaucoup May 11, 2015 at 10:16 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in January 2011. Happy baking!

1. Eggs! The miracle food! | One Chop shop - June 28, 2013