gaspereau valley fibres

Yesterday, Bill and Rosie Beaucoup took me to Gaspereau Valley Fibres. I’ve been desperate to get some wool for felting, and Rosie promised that I would find everything I needed in Gaspereau (that’s in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia). The shop is very close to downtown Wolfville, and about a kilometre away from a couple of vineyards. So, you can get your fibres and then drink your face off, if you’re into that sort of thing.

They have a flock of Cotswold sheep that meet you stare at you as you come up the drive. The flock donates it’s fleece to the store in the form of yarn and fibre, which is quite generous if you ask me. The shop has a creaky planked floor and a woodstove to curl up in front of. An old clawfoot tub sits at the back of the shop brimming with wool roving in every colour you can imagine. Perfection!

There’s a lovely stray kitty that has moved into the shop. Wouldn’t you? The soft chair in front of the wood stove practically begs a cat to sleep on it. I got everything I needed for my felting projects and more. Gaspereau Valley Fibres has tons of yarn and natural fibre products, along with all the stuff you’ll need to turn them into crafty delights. They’ve got classes in things like knitting, spinning and felting, and a knitter’s group. That’s right – you can sit around with other people and knit all night. Fibre enthusiasts unite!

The shop ships worldwide, so if you don’t live in Nova Scotia, you can still get some of their goodies delivered to your door. They stock yarn and fibre from all over the place, but also stock Canadian, organic, local and hand-painted yarns and fibres. They’ve got books and dyes, needles and spinning equipment, trinkets and gifts.

So, if you’re looking for something to do next weekend, consider a little trip to the Annapolis Valley. You won’t be disappointed. Just wait until you see the wool I got…

Visit the Gaspereau Valley Fibre website by clicking here.

9 Responses to gaspereau valley fibres

1. bonnie March 14, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Heather and I had a great time at the workshop on Saturday. It is a great little place.

• movita March 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

I can’t believe we were so close, yet so far! xox

2. emmalina73 March 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Wish I was slightly nearer than a 14 hour drive, that place looks great! I love sheep, they are so mental yet so wooly, I miss seeing sheep at this time of year. In England they are everywhere! And of course in spring they produce…lambs! Super cute bouncy balls of fluff…wool is great.

• movita March 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

I’ve asked heatherjay to let me have one of the Ironwood lambs (to sleep with), but she seems reluctant to send one to me. Go figure…

3. Rosie Beaucoup March 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

For wool journeys, you can always count on Rosie Beaucoup.

4. heatherjay March 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

I’m looking forward to spending a little more time at GVF when I am more regularly in Wolfville next year, finishing my Masters…of course, my bank account probably won’t appreciate it, so I’ll have to start selling you more of my own fibres. See if you can be free June 4th, and we’ll head down to the Back-to-Back, where they go from shearing, to spinning, to knitting a sweater… in world-record time!

5. Kate Frego May 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I have it on my calendar that Gaspereau Valley Fibres is hosting felting seminar on the weekend of May 27. Is this true? If so do you have room for one more participant?
    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Kate

• movita May 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Uh, Kate? I don’t work for Gaspereau Valley Fibres. I just visited there once. And wrote about it. So, um, you might want to get in touch with them directly. Because… I don’t work there.

Good luck – I hope you manage to get into the workshop!

6. movita beaucoup September 7, 2015 at 7:41 am #

Comments are now closed on this post – it was published in 2011!