chocolate chip pancakes

chocolate chip pancakes Happy long weekend! I’ve made some plans for you. I think you might want to eat these. And I’m thinking you might wanna make ’em tomorrow morning. Because they’re good. Real good.

chocolate chips

I made these for 2.0 last weekend. As mentioned before, he’s really into chocolate chips (read: he keeps pillaging my baking cupboard). I had some extra buttermilk in the fridge, and some chocolate chips hidden away, so I figured I could head him off at the pass. Here’s hoping my baking supplies are safe for the next couple of weeks.

These here pancakes will fill your belly up right good like. Even 2.0 thought they were filling. And he’s never full. Plus, they’ve got whole wheat flour which basically cancels out the chocolate. That’s science, people.

chocolate chip pancakes

We’ll be spending a good portion of the weekend stuffing our faces with family and friends. Perfection, if you ask me. I hope the next few days hold the same for you…

Chocolate Chip Pancakes – adapted (barely) from The Recipe Girl – download

• 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 Tablespoons canola oil
  • chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir in dry ingredients and mix just until moistened (lumpy batter = good).

Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Brush pan with some butter or canola oil, and pour 1/4 cup measures of the batter into the skillet, allowing plenty of room for spreading. Drop several chocolate chips onto the pancake surface. When pancakes bubble and are lightly browned, flip and continue cooking until cooked through and lightly browned on the second side. Brush pan with butter/oil before each batch. Serve warm with maple syrup.

12 Responses to chocolate chip pancakes

1. emmalina73 April 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Forget adoption, marry me! If I eat an avocado at some point can I eat these for all three meals of the day and not gain weight? You are my science guru!

• movita April 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Yah. I’m your basic genius. (You’re welcome.)

2. brambleoak April 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

Those look delish!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think my youngins (plus hubby and I) will love these.

• movita April 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Chocolate chips for breakfast? You can’t lose!

3. lifecoachabby April 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

I looove pancakes we make our with gluten free flour, pumpkin, coconut milk, and dark chocolate chips.

• movita April 21, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

The pumpkin would most definitely cancel out the chocolate chips. And the gluten free flour? It would cancel out the syrup.

Well played.

4. maudiemaudie April 22, 2011 at 5:21 am #

Oh heaven, these look fantastic. I’m going to have to work out cup measurements in grams though, I’m sure it will tell me somewhere on the internet. Maybe if I work in grams, or even ounces, there won’t be any calories at all, perhaps they’re all hiding in the cups.

5. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) January 25, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Ahhhh I love chocolate chip pancakes!!! I like to spread pb on them 😀 I also wanted to thank you for the FoodBuzz FR, I look forward to reading more of your blog, and hope you’ll enjoy mine too!

• movita beaucoup January 25, 2012 at 10:42 am #

I’ve never thought of spreading peanut butter on pancakes! But it sounds genius…

6. movita beaucoup May 11, 2015 at 10:29 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in April 2011. Happy baking!