movita’s veggie patch

Our first veggie patch has been planted. I’d like to say that I have lots of inspirational photos of the event to post, but it was so freakin’ cold that I couldn’t hold the camera still enough to get proper photos. Just look at that blurry photo above – that was the best one of the day. Do you see the blur of a shivering hand? My fingers were purple. My nose was runny. I could barely manage to hold the teeny-weeny little carrot seeds for sowing. Yah, that’s right. I sowed stuff. It. Was. Awesome. I felt like a real farmer.

2.0 tilled the garden on Saturday, and added loads of organic, mushroom and seaweed compost to the soil. And on Sunday, the Beaucoups joined us for a veggie planting bonanza. We planted mesclun and bibb lettuce, onions, beets, carrots, radishes, peas and chives. All cool-weather veggies. We’ll be adding zucchini and tomatoes when the weather warms up. I’m thinking that you people have really boring lives (thus your frequent visits to my blog), so you’ll probably interested in frequent updates and photos of sprouts and crap.

Update #1:

I checked the garden this morning, and nothing has grown yet, but I’m not discouraged. I’ll check again after work.

10 Responses to movita’s veggie patch

1. Marsha Sefcik Interiors May 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

You crack me up. I wanted to get out and sow some seeds as well but, it’s freakishly cold so I am put it off. I know, I’m a wimp.

• movita May 2, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Uh, haven’t you been busy with a kitchen reno? That is very, very important. I mean, what’s the point in harvesting veggies if you don’t have a pretty kitchen to prepare them in?

2. maudiemaudie May 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

Ha! you will soon be a veggie bore just like the rest of us! We had a huge hail storm at the weekend to pay us back for the lovely weather we’ve had – we rushed out as soon as we could avoid injury to check the veggies. Husband, with a look of horror on his face, ‘look at the beans, look at the beans!’ really they just had a couple of leaves beaten off. Our onions are about 10 inches high so we’re a bit ahead of you. Waiting with baited breath to hear when they’re up!
    PS did you notice I avoided your cookie recipe? Actually I didn’t but I’m pretending I haven’t seen it.

• movita May 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

1. I’m thinking 2.0 might be a lot like your husband.
      2. Make the cookies.
      3. Eat all of the cookies.

3. Lynne May 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Well, count me in as one who has a really boring life – and yes, I love your update crap!! In addition, you are making me feel guilty for not planting anything – yet. Recently moved fr an apt where I had lots of land to plant, and an annoying (translated: entitled rich) landlord who was constantly at me (translated: lived w/in pointing distance, so the nagging ruined all my inspiration) about the gardening. Now I’m in a smaller apt. w/a little, tiny spot to garden, in a much better locale, w/a landlord who is tres nice (translated: actually, really nice – AND overseas).

So I need to get off my butt & plant. Stuff. Lots of Stuff.

If you can do it…. 😀 …. Movita is my motivation, haha!!

• movita May 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Truly – if I can do it, a monkey could do it. You’re obviously a gardener that has been kept reined in for far too long. Go forth and plant! (But leave time for checking in on the Cat Farm.)

4. emmalina73 May 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

I can’t wait to see all the recipes you will cook with your masses of produce. So let’s see plant on Sunday…harvest on Saturday? Wow this gardening thing takes patience!

I’m jealous of your planting skills, we are still in the clearing phase but we’re hoping to get some stuff in the earth this year. Gardening rocks!

• movita May 2, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Well, if it weren’t for Rosie Beaucoup, our gardens would look like crud. I can’t even be bothered to goole anymore – I just call Beaucoup Headquarters. Perhaps we could start loaning her out…

Gardening really does rock.

5. Lorrie May 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Good luck. You will find this a very gratifying activity!

6. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 11:37 am #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in May 2011. Thanks for stopping by!