movita’s veggie patch – progress report { 4 }

I’m alive. Despite the best efforts of about 300 dancers to induce a major stroke, I’m alive. I’ve survived another day of year-end shows. My deltoids are so sore from lugging costumes four blocks to the theatre yesterday, that I can barely lift my arms today. And all of that squatting to dress teeny-tiny dancers (and then to pick up, fold, and re-pack costumes), has resulted in inner thighs that are so sore that I can’t seem to get up and down stairs. Or walk. Or sit. And watching my absolutely exquisite advanced dancers on stage has resulted in a rather swollen heart – but I’m thinking that won’t kill me.

With only a week left in the regular dance season, I’m headed toward one awesome summer vacation. I picked up about 4,000 paint chips today – I’ve got furniture to paint, and walls to slather in brand new colour. I’m taking Rosie Beaucoup to Toronto to visit my sister and eat. (Yup, we’ll be doing lots of eating.) And I’ve got a million new recipes to try, along with some big gardening projects. People, it’s gunna be good.

On to business. It’s been a month since we planted our veggie patch, and it’s been the crappiest spring ever. Somehow we’ve got radishes – almost-ready-to-munch-on radishes. It’s very exciting for a first time gardener. The onions are looking good, the peas have started to branch out, and the beets look almost beet-like. We should be eating lettuce soon, and I think – just maybe – I see a couple of carrots that have survived the monsoon.

Tomorrow I’m going to transplant some zucchini. I’ve heard that zucchini is quite prolific, so if you find some squash on your doorstep… it was me.

13 Responses to movita’s veggie patch – progress report { 4 }

1. lorrielorrieb May 30, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Nice work!

2. heatherjay May 30, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

I’m very proud of you and your radishes…now if you could just tackle sweet potatoes (I’m going through withdrawal as we head into our 2nd summer without good slips to plant).

• movita May 31, 2011 at 8:09 am #

But… I don’t like sweet potatoes. (Are you still speaking to me?)

3. emmalina73 May 31, 2011 at 12:13 am #

Congrats for getting through another year and surviving! All that expended energy would kill a lesser woman, not to mention the poufy skirts…

But on to marvelous veggies, hurrah! This is the beginning of your adventure with a full summer of fun to come. Can’t wait to follow along!

• movita May 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I’ve got a lot of butter, sugar and paint coming your way…

4. maudiemaudie May 31, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Well, you certainly sound as if you deserve a holiday!
    See, I told you the carrots would make it. Your radishes will taste extra nice because they came from your garden and not a shop. And zuchinni (we call them courgettes in this part of the world) well, I hope you didn’t plant too many! One year people stopped coming to see us because we’d wouldn’t let them go unless they had a bag full of cougettes and cucumbers. Now we plant 3 in the hope that only 2 will come up. Trouble is you think, ‘oh I’ll pick that one tomorrow’, and by tomorrow it’s tripled in size. If you find a good recipe for the freezer let me know. I ended up cooking them until they were really concentrated and then adding them to tomato sauces.

• movita May 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Please send your mailing address. I think I’m going to have extra zucchini…

• maudiemaudie June 1, 2011 at 6:39 am #

Oh dear. You should make plans now – get ’em when they’re small, before they turn into monsters. Make some tempura batter and fry them when they’re tiny with the flowers still attached. Don’t bother trying to give them to cats, goats or cows – I tried, it didn’t work. If all else fails, get out your recipes for stuffed marrows and invite 100 people round for dinner.

5. Rosie Beaucoup May 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

The old timers used to joke that you could tell it was late summer in Nova Scotia when you came back to your unlocked car (ah, those were the days!) to find the back seat full of boxes of zucchini!

• movita June 1, 2011 at 11:26 am #

You’d better lock up your car, Rosie!

6. Michelle W May 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

I thought you may like this for upcoming DIY projects – coupon for free (yes free!) pints of paint via the Benjamin Moore facebook page….Just “like” them, and look down the left side for the coupon link.

My sister will tell you that I am starting to become a coupon queen!

• movita June 1, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Dear Coupon Queen,
      Thanks for the tip. Coupons have been printed. Day has been made.
      Sincerely,
      movita

7. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 11:36 am #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in May 2011. Thanks for stopping by!