granola bars

A couple of months ago, 2.0 and I bought a huge box of granola bars from Costco. As in, we consumed about 80 granola bars in just over two months. You see, we’re a lot like Olivia Newton John: we like to get physical. Our jobs are physically demanding, so we need to fill our bellies when we are at work. And though the Costco bars were good, I’m not going to lie to you: I never want to eat one again. At least, not one of that particular brand.

But these here homemade granola bars? I’d happily scarf one down. They are tasty and kinda crunchy-chewy, and they fill you up right good like.

You can adjust these bars to your own taste. I hate raisins – they make me want to gag. But you might like them, so you could add some to your bars. It would be totally and completely wrong, but you could do it. And maybe you don’t like cashews (because, like all of 2.0’s family, you claim that they make you gassy). So you don’t add cashews. Look, I’m not here to judge you.

When you pull one of these outta your lunch bag, you’re going to look like a superstar. People will feel pathetic and inadequate around you. And that’s the point. You’re eating well and making other people feel like crap. It’s win-win.

Granola Bars – adapted slightly from Alton Brown – download and print

• 2 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds, shelled
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of dried fruit and nuts – I use dried cranberries, cashews and pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips to mix in the granola bar (optional)
  • 1/2 – 1 cup chocolate chips to top the bars (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 inch pan.

Spread the oats, seeds and nuts onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir occasionally to toast evenly. (Do not toast the dried fruit, if you’re using it. That would be silly.)

Meanwhile, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar is completely dissolved.

When the oat/nut mixture is done toasting, reduce the heat of the oven to 300°F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the sugar mixture from the saucepan (I combine them in a large mixing bowl). Add the dried fruit (if using) and flaxseed, and stir well to completely coat everything in the honey sugar mixture.  Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Mix gently to combine – the chocolate chips might melt a little. Press the mixture into the 9×9 pan, and pat down flat.

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle 1/2 – 1 cup of chocolate chips over the top. Let them sit for a few minutes until they have started to melt, and then spread the melted chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Allow to cool and then refrigerate for a couple of hours until the chocolate hardens. When the chocolate has hardened remove the bars from the pan and cut into squares – this is a messy, crumbly process. You’ll get over it.

I store our bars in the refrigerator, but you could also keep them on the counter in an airtight container for up to a week.

8 Responses to granola bars

1. lifecoachabby June 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

Yum, those look great. I love pumpkin seeds.

2. maudiemaudie June 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Divine!

3. emmalina73 June 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

We are dried fruit hating twins my friend! I mean what is with the raisin obsession? They are shriveled grapes people. Not yummy. And as for using them in replacement of chocolate, I think you know my opinions on that.

Having just parked the third empty granola bars box in the recycling bin I am super inclined to make my own and these look just the ticket. Plus they have chocolate on the top which is a proper ingredient, not some rubbish past-sell-by fruit the french totally palmed off on us while laughing all the way to the bank. Where they probably all sat around making scornful comments and eating croissant. Well I’m not fooled, in your face dried fruit!

Ahem. Too much? To summarise, good recipe, can’t wait to try it.

• movita June 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

I think we should start a campaign. A campaign to make people understand that raisins are just grapes gone wrong. Basically, they are garbage. But people see that garbage in a nice package and they think: yum. Maybe I should put some of my compost in a bag and call it Movita’s Dried and Super Nutritious Snack Food. It would probably sell like hotcakes…

• emmalina73 June 3, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

I’m all for an anti raisin campaign, those puppies just get me going good style. I mean they’re not properly dry or properly plump, just a horrid half way house so you bite in and it takes 5 times as long to eat as you expect but tastes all old and brown. I’m pretty sure if you put rabbit droppings in a nice jar and named them something french with a cute label you could make a fortune. Le Movita Bon Drops or something like that.

World domination is within our grasp. First order of business, raisins are off the menu!

4. glutenfreezen June 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Hi! Just made a version of your granola bars. They are delicious of course! Also gave you a shout out on my blog. 🙂

5. movita beaucoup May 12, 2015 at 8:41 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in June 2011. Happy baking!

1. Granola Bars – Movita Style « gluten free zen - June 15, 2011

[…] recipe is adapted from Movita’s blog, which she adapted from Alton Brown. First of all, if you don’t have Movita’s blog […]