happy father’s day

People who know me will tell you I’m organized. The obsessive compulsive, anal retentive kind. I like everything to be in its spot. A friend of mine used to call my apartment The Museum. And when you don’t do things my way, I’m most likely thinking there’s something wrong with you. In fact, a good part of my real job is organizing. Organizing people who don’t really seem to want to be organized. I’m working on being more patient, as I’ve been on the verge of a stroke for the better part of the past four months. But it’s hard to develop patience when you just want to rip that thing out of someone’s hand to do it right because they are either a) too slow to do so, or b) too dumb. 2.0 assures me that soon everyone will succumb to my correct ways, but that in the meantime I’m just going to have to accept the imperfections of the average human being.

We like to tease my sister because she has real trouble remembering when Bill Beaucoup’s birthday is. She, too, is super organized, and she is one of the most thoughtful people you could ever meet. She lives in fear of missing our dear father’s birthday because it happened once. A few years ago she called him two days early to wish him a happy birthday. She was convinced she had the right day, and was pretty dang happy that she had managed remember the bloody date after so many near misses. Now she calls me to confirm before making the Birthday Call, as she never wants to hear Bill Beaucoup utter the words, “thank you dear, but my birthday’s not for two days,” again.

So, when I was planning an upcoming weekend away, I was very sure to consider Father’s Day. I didn’t want to leave Bill Beaucoup sans child on his big day. I made calls, requested that brunches be moved, booked plane tickets accordingly. I actually rescheduled a trip for him. I’m a great child. Then I planned a kick ass barbecue for him. Homemade coleslaw and lemonade. Meat and fire. A basket of goodies to munch on as a take-home prize (all the stuff he’s not allowed to eat). We had a great time yesterday.

If only yesterday had been Father’s Day. If only I hadn’t told Bill Beaucoup that he was barking mad when he mentioned that Father’s Day isn’t until next week. If only I hadn’t told him that he was clearly senile for thinking so. If only I hadn’t insisted that Father’s Day is, and always has been, on the second Sunday of the month. If only Bill Beaucoup weren’t going to be totally alone next weekend.

I guess every winning streak has to end.

19 Responses to happy father’s day

1. Betsy June 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Ok in a weird way this brought tears to my eyes. I miss my Dad. It would be nice to celebrate Father’s Day with him even on the wrong day. It was your sweet thoughtfulness that made it special, I’m sure.

• movita June 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Bill Beaucoup is a pretty forgiving sort of guy – thank goodness! 2.0 has lost his dad as well, and I didn’t ever get to meet him. It’s strange to think, but I miss him despite never having the pleasure of spending time with him. I’m sure this is mostly because I wish 2.0 still had him around. I’m always glad to have Bill Beaucoup to share with him – and sometimes, when my dad refers to 2.0 in passing as “my son,” I get a little choked up.

Plus, aside from calling Bill Beaucoup senile, we had a pretty great day!

2. Ignorant Bystander June 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Since my own rotten kids aren’t likely to do anything for me next weekend, I propose to come over and allow you to assuage your guilt by serving up some more of that Fête des pères goodness.

It’s the least I can do.

3. Anonymous June 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

And you had ME thinking it was Father’s Day too, until I happened to see a reference to the real date online. So now I’m going to have to double-check Father’s Day AND his birthday every bloody year for the rest of my life! Oh wait. How old is he again?

4. Lynne June 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

Hahahaha – oh, you made me laugh!! That would be something I’d do (except for the organization part – wanna come over & organize my place? I wouldn’t even mind when you started to think that *I’m* dumb – just help!!!).

My dad passed away in ’89, so I also felt those pangs, Betsy. My mom, and all of their siblings, too. Been finding myself yearning for the big get-togethers we only had when I was little. Everyone started to go their own way years before. Now that my kids are also older, I find I bake & cook way, way too much on holidays, with not enough people around to share!

Maybe I should just start inviting Movita fans over??

• movita June 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Yes. Invite Movita fans over. And I’ll tell everyone exactly what to do and how to do it!

• Lynne June 13, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

Hahahaha – sounds like my mom!! No wonder I like you. (You wouldn’t tell me that the clothes I’m wearing look good – and you’re surprised something like that would look nice on someone fat… would you??)

• Betsy June 15, 2011 at 10:03 am #

It would be worth you telling us what to do, to have some of your Good Cooling!

• Betsy June 15, 2011 at 10:06 am #

oops “Cooking”

5. Lynne June 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

BTW – I think it was great, what you did for your dad – and even gave him a story to tell everyone. Everyone. For the rest of time.

Honestly, few kids go to all that trouble. 😀 Way to go, Movita!! You can be proud – that was really nice.

• movita June 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

He did seem awfully content with that full belly on his way back home!

• Lynne June 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm #

Aw – I bet he was!!

6. sherrieg June 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

It’s so sweet that you did all of that anyway! After reading your first paragraph about being a bit obsessive, I thought of this, that I saw earlier today. Heh heh. http://pinterest.com/pin/38057401/

• movita June 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

That pic sums up everything I think when 2.0 is sitting at the computer…

• Lynne June 13, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

Oh, sherrieg – that is so funny!! I guess I am a bit obsessive, too – I could SO relate. Hahahaha.

Oh wait – I almost forgot. I was the one who was commenting a few months ago how I actually put all my decorative dinnerware (mostly chipped, all unmatched – something I used to make me proud) away after I bought (super Ikea sale, of course) 4 matching sets of white everyday dinnerware, 4 sets of blue glasses (heavy of course, to ward off the broken-glass gods) and a double set of matching black handled silverware.

Then for about a week – or two – or three – I’d have to look inside the cabinets,*every time I went into the kitchen* to glory in the matching organization.

Sigh… happiness!!

7. emmalina73 June 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

When I saw the title of your post I literally nearly had a cardiac. I totally suck at getting my dad’s stuff to him on time, usually get there by the skin of my teeth. When we were kids me and my sister forgot his birthday once. Worst day ever, my mum totally made us feel terrible and we are haunted by it.

Throwing a party on the wrong day is still looking pretty good to me : )

8. movita June 14, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I’ve decided to tell people that I am so awesome that I gave my dad a special day ahead of all the other dads. Because he’s awesome too.

Now, I’ve just gotta sell it…

9. Adopamop June 18, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Apparently you got the right day, just in the wrong country. Belgium celebrated Father’s Day the same day as you…

10. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 11:40 am #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in June 2011. Thanks for stopping by!