pumpkin cheesecake muffins

Did you have a happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends? 2.0 and I did. We spent Thanksgiving Sunday with The Beaucoups, and Thanksgiving Monday with The Ocean Family. We ate a lot. And guess what? Nope. Guess again. Nope. Guess again! No! What’s wrong with you? Okay, I’ll just tell you. I’ve been doing some thinking, and I’ve decided to get smart. Like, really smart. And I’m going to give you a gift. The gift of movita’s genius. I know. You just peed your pants a little.

In the beginning, most of the recipes I posted on this here blog were adapted from other sources, with a smattering of movita gems in between. A lot of bloggers do this – and don’t get me wrong, it’s totally awesome. Taking a recipe and then making it a little more… you. This entire blog started with a smattering of ideas that had no real direction, but recently has developed into something a little more… me. (Read: food obsessed.) And now we’ve got this little thing going on where I tell you all about what we eat here at the Cat Farm, and you keep pretending to find it interesting. And sure, I could tell you to get off the damn computer and live a real life, but how would that benefit me?

This blog has become something of a love affair. I think about it – and you – all of the time. I picture you eating my recipes in your pyjamas. Oops! You just dribbled some sauce down your chin. Oh no! You got some on your Huey Lewis t-shirt. Yah, that’s right, let the dog lick it off…

I spend a lot of time searching for recipes that I think we’ll all like. Then I test them out, and tweak when I feel it’s necessary. And then I take about 150 photos, sit in front of the computer sobbing, and choose a couple to slap up on the world wide web. And all of this photographing and testing of recipes has left me wanting to give you a little more. Because I love you. Don’t feel awkward. Come here, you! Embrace me.

In recent months, I’ve become more and more excited about cooking and most especially, baking. I’m really into the how-tos, the science of, and the art of developing recipes. Basically, I’m falling deeper and deeper into the pit of loserdom that is me. I have started doing some research into the science of baking and cooking. Are you pickin’ up what I’m puttin’ down? I’m basically my own culinary school. Books, people! I’m reading books. And taking classes. And perusing what other geniuses are posting on the interweb. Oh, and I’m learning a little more about photography. Have you noticed that the photos are actually in focus now, and most are actually of the intended subject? That’s what edumication will do for you. And sure, there will be loads of people out there who will always know way more than me, but that’s okay. I don’t know them personally.

Wondering how this affects you? Well, I’m gunna lay it out for ya. I have inherited a large number of recipes, mostly from family, that are basically a list of ingredients with absolutely no cooking/baking instructions. 2.0′s mother, Jackie, is a great source of what are essentially shopping lists with no other procedural information. She’ll hand me a card with a recipe for, say, whoopie pies. It will have a list of ingredients and quantities. I will flip the card over. There is nothing else written. I will ask for the rest of the recipe. Jackie will stare blankly at me. I will then ask her about the procedure, and she’ll say things like, “yah, sure, you could cream the butter,” or, “I dunno, I guess you could combine the dry ingredients first.” But she says it like I’m crazy. And you’ve gotta believe me, you want some of these recipes – these shopping lists that are passed onto me. But if you’re like me, you’ll probably want to know exactly what to do with that list to create a little magic. Correction: a lot of magic.

So, because a mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright laws, and certainly doesn’t constitute a recipe or procedure, I’m going to develop some of these shopping lists into… well, actual recipes. movita tested recipes. Exciting, right? And I’m going to try my hand at developing some recipes from scratch. Total scratch, yo. movita originals, if you will. And because a recipe’s directions and added instructions become copywrited by law, I will basically own your asses these recipes, thus ensuring that I am indeed a legend when I die/get assassinated. (Because famous people are assassinated.)

So, I’ve started testing recipes. Fun,right? And you can try the recipes and let me know if you like them. And if you don’t, you can jam it. (Kidding.) (Sort of.) (Not really.)

So, let’s begin, shall we? These pumpkin cheesecake muffins are perfectly delightful! And the recipe was handed down to me (with half-assed instructions) by Rosie Beaucoup. She’s my mummy. And sure, there are lots of pumpkin muffin recipes out there, but this one has a sweet cream cheese filling in the centre. So it’s better than the other recipes out there. And it’s movita tested! The recipes yields about 2 dozen muffins, so you can put some in the freezer. If you have extra batter, and not enough filling, just make a few plain pumpkin muffins for the jerk in your family who says he doesn’t like cream cheese.

Okay. That’s enough. Your eyes are sore. We’ll talk again later this week. I’m outtie.

UPDATE: I’M GOING TO BAKING SCHOOL IN SEPTEMBER 2012! Sometimes dreams do come true…

Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins - adapted from a recipe handed down by Rosie Beaucoup - print and bake

Yields about 24 muffins.

• 1 3/4 cups pureed pumpkin

For the filling:

• 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar

For the topping (optional):

• brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line 24 muffin wells (2 standard size muffin pans).

Begin by making the filling. Cream together the cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Set aside.

Next, make the muffin batter. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl, and set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the eggs lightly on medium speed (you could also do this with a hand mixer or by hand). Then add 2 cups of sugar, oil, and the pumpkin puree. Beat well on medium speed (1-2 minutes).

Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, and blend well.

To assemble the muffins, fill muffin wells halfway with batter. Add a dollop of filling (about a teaspoon) and top with remaining batter. Sprinkle brown sugar lightly over top of muffins (if using).

Bake 15-20 minutes, until a golden brown hue appears and muffins are springy to the touch.

36 Responses to pumpkin cheesecake muffins

1. grahamsherrie@yahoo.ca October 11, 2011 at 11:50 am #

They look delicious. If you haven’t read it, In the Sweet Kitchen would totally rock your world. Every detail about baking that you could ever wish to know. :)

• movita beaucoup October 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

I’m on in – thanks for the lead! You’re an honorary member of team movita. (There are only 3 members right now, but I’m pretty sure it’s gunna catch on.)

• Sherrie October 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

You will love it, I promise. Do a test run through the library – I have one in the living room right now. :)

2. emmalina73 October 11, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Ok, that was pretty long so I’m just going to check I got all the salient details:

1 – You love me. I so knew it.
    2 – You want me to spend all of my time baking and you have done tons of research to allow me to do this. Check.
    3 – This recipe makes 2 dozen muffins which allows me to eat 1 dozen and share the other 4 with some friends. That’s maths that is.
    4 – Some people don’t eat cream cheese icing. That I didn’t know.
    5 – Soon I will be able to say “Oh yes I knew Movita way before she had her 15 cook books out, we are totally friends don’t you know”.

Cover it? I’m also hearing that I will be able to enjoy your blog way more frequently giving me a chance to escape from all that other ‘life’ stuff that can so clutter up ones schedule. Looking forward to it.

• movita beaucoup October 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

1. Yes. I love you. Very much. But not in a “stranger danger” kind of way. In a “mutual-love-of-icing” kind of way.
      2. Yes. Baking = awesome. Baking also = no time for other chores, so what’s the point in trying?
      3. Cut one friend, and then you can eat another muffin. Why do you need so many friends anyway? You’ve got me.
      4. Weird, right? Cream cheese anything is AWESOME. (Yes. I yelled that.)
      5. I’m going to buy a photocopier and self-publish book 1. Tomorrow.

Love from,
      movita

3. Lynne October 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

Love it!! All of it. (I’m going to go all “lol” on you… messing up your blog, you know..)

My mom did the same with her recipes. What I discovered (only have a few, as she always made her standard ones) was that many (like 3 out of her 6) were on the net. Even found the original cover for the teeny cookbook which had one of her recipes. I copied it, reduced it in Photoshop & printed it up in color. Later I put it together with the recipe when my daughters asked me for it.

They do not appreciate my talent at ALL. Hardly even noticed. Personally, just between you & me, I think they were switched at birth.

Ah, but I take comfort in knowing that there is someone equally as nuts – I mean dedicated – as moi.

Can’t wait to try the cheescake pumpkin muffins. With *just* a few changes… of course…if that’s OK with you. [like you'd know, anyway, har, har, har]

• movita beaucoup October 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I trust you to adjust it in a movita appropriate way – loads of fat and sugar are always a sure bet!

One day the world will appreciate us. One day.

• Lynne October 12, 2011 at 12:35 am #

Will you ban me from your blog if I use nonfat cream cheese? Maybe half sugar substitute…?

Not saying I *will* use those… just wondering…

• movita beaucoup October 12, 2011 at 6:50 am #

You know what, Lynne? I’ll let you use both. Because I love you. (But dude, get that sugar and fat in ya!)

• Lynne October 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

Well, you see – I’m trying to do the opposite. Get many, many years of sugar and fat OFF of me, hahaha.

So many baked goods have been attached to these hips… (now that’s a strange picture..)

4. Kirsten Hudson October 12, 2011 at 10:17 am #

It’s nice to see that other bloggers can lose direction and then find it again! Lately I haven’t liked my other blog, it’s a fashion blog, at everydaythreads.wordpress.com and I just don’t know how to move forward. Good for you for creating/reworking your own recipes. I’m impressed!

• movita beaucoup October 12, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I guess it’s a hazard with geniuses like us… And I suppose, when you’re like me, and have the attention span of a fruit fly, you’ve eventually got to narrow a focus. Here’s hoping I can stay on track. Hey! What’s that over there?

• Lynne October 13, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Yes!! I knew it – I’m a genius. Thanks, Movita, once again… I have a couple of blogs, one more recent one I just let…. well… die. Been thinking of trying to resuscitate it…

5. P.Kitty October 12, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

Basically, I think you are the shiz-nit jean-yous of all time. Just sayin’…..because only shiz-nit jean-yousses can pry recipes out of RosieBeaucoup’s hands….how’d you do it?? you got her drunk, didn’t you…..xo PK

6. hello lisanne October 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

these are so cute! love the cheesecake filling. beautiful photography btw :)

• movita beaucoup October 13, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Thanks! There’s nothing like a little cheesecake filling to make everything all right…

7. Gina October 13, 2011 at 3:50 am #

Your pictures and writing are beautiful :)

• movita beaucoup October 13, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Thank you. I love you. Let’s get married. (Too much?)

8. Jules October 13, 2011 at 9:05 am #

Delicious looking muffins. I love cheesecake with pumpkin/carrot cakes. I think it makes them.

• movita beaucoup October 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

That’s because cream cheese makes almost anything good…

9. Brenna October 14, 2011 at 11:09 am #

These look amazing! I love the idea of putting cream cheese on the inside so I can transport them in my lunch more easily :) Bookmark!

10. Anonymous October 21, 2011 at 11:44 am #

Great recipe! I used apple sauce instead of oil (my attempt to make them “healthier”) and they still turned out well.

• movita beaucoup October 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Great to hear – I replace oil with applesauce on occasion, and I must say, I’m never disappointed! Always glad to hear when someone has tried one of my recipes… thanks so much for taking the time to give me a wee update!

11. Abbi October 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

My six-year old and I made these this afternoon for her birthday. They are WONDERFUL!! She was especially delighted with extra-steps and procedures because she adores baking and cooking and basically getting messy and coated with sweet things. :) I also whipped up a little bit of cream cheese icing to put on a few for her so she thinks they are “cupcakes” for her birthday. But otherwise, I prefer the creamcheese on the inside! Thanks!

• movita beaucoup October 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

This is wonderful to hear! Thanks for stopping by to tell me about the success – and happy birthday to your daughter!

12. Jenni Ferris October 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

These look delicious! Now I have yet another recipe to try before this pumpkin craze is over! Deelicious Sweets sent me!

• movita beaucoup October 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

Wait… is the pumpkin craze going to end? Let’s not let it…

13. Dee at Deelicious Sweets October 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

These look awesome! Thanks for linking up to my blog hop :) We call my mama Rosie too! She passes on “recipes” in the exact same way as yours are written. What’s the deal with that? Maybe we share the same mom?

• movita beaucoup October 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

Well, this is possible, but it’s weird that we haven’t met at any mandatory family events… Rosie, is after all, very convincing.

14. Ann October 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Holy moly, these look jaw-droppingly good!! LOVE itttt! I’ve got to try these :D

• movita beaucoup October 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

They are so, so wonderful. And they freeze well, so you can pull a couple out and munch on them whenever you like!

15. Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

I’ve made a variation of this muffin but with a little grated lemon peel in the cream cheese mixture. It’s delightful :0)

16. Indi November 6, 2011 at 1:06 am #

Love the blog. Loved the recipe and as for the pics…well lets just say i almost bit into my monitor. I am so making these for Thanksgiving -four day weekend for me, the kids and the hubbs. Thank

• movita beaucoup November 6, 2011 at 7:15 am #

1. You know I won’t pay for a new monitor, right?
      2. I’m so glad you’re going to try these. Also, they freeze well. So then you can take one out on a Wednesday morning, slap in in your kids’ lunchbox and be the best mother ever.
      3. Happy Almost Thanksgiving, American friend.

1. Celebrate This: Pumpkin Cheesecake Day | Life of the Party - October 21, 2011

[...] solve 'em all. This time around muffins are up and autumn with this irresistible recipe from Movita Beucoup for Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins. In this recipe an unassuming pumpkin muffin hides folds of sweet [...]