slow cooker sunday – crockpot bbq beer chicken

Sundays have become… not fun. Well, they are partly fun. When I close the studio door and it’s just me and my dancers at rehearsal? Fun. But when a parent comes to me and says that the rehearsal schedule is impossible to follow because it has been printed on more than one page and she has to “flip the page over?” Not fun. Then I am filled with the rage of a million white hot suns. Is that wrong? Oh, cripes. I know it is. But I’m in that place right now, people. I’m in that place where a slow moving, spatially unaware person at the grocery store just might put me over the edge.

Oh my. That feels so much better. Thanks for listening, friends. Let me tell you what else made me feel better yesterday – Slow Cooker Sunday! Before heading to the studio yesterday, I made some Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken. I found the recipe on How Sweet It Is. You read that blog, right? (Because if you don’t, we probably shouldn’t keep going on like this.) And when I returned home after rehearsals, I was met with the smells of a dinner that had basically cooked itself. Did you hear that? It took care of itself. It didn’t need any hand-holding or special considerations. Nothin’. Easy as pie.

This here little ditty is a joy. It’s like a Sloppy Joe. Or, here at the Cat Farm, a Sloppy O. Get it? 2.0? We’re the O’s? Dude, that’s money!  Alright, back to it. You’re going to love this chicken. And what is easier than throwing eight ingredients in a pot and walking away? You might say it’s easier than turning the pages of a rehearsal schedule.

Now, I know what you’re doing. You’re glancing down to see where I’ve typed up the recipe for you. You want to hit download and print. But I’m not going to do that. Because you need to head on over to the source. Make it just the way Jessica did. Or add a few pieces of crisped, diced bacon like I did. And use Canadian beer. In fact use some Keith’s. I’m going to tell you to click here to get the recipe. Visit How Sweet It Is – forget your cares for a few minutes.

Um, and maybe we can keep this little rant filled post between just the two of us…

147 Responses to slow cooker sunday – crockpot bbq beer chicken

1. Savory Simple October 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I love the idea of beer and bbq! I will have to try this.

• movita beaucoup October 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

It really is good – I’ll be having some for supper in a few minutes! Yummy leftovers…

2. Dee at Deelicious Sweets October 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

I saw this recipe over at Jessica’s place. It sounded awesome! I love crock pot nights. Gone all day running like a mad woman and come home to a house filled with sweet sweet aroma’s. Lordy!

• movita beaucoup October 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Lordy indeed! Confession: I had some of the chicken over breakfast potatoes today. Is that wrong?

3. emmalina73 October 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

If it is any consolation when I found up the ‘water guy’ might have screwed up our move-in this week, I loudly said I was going to “pull off his arms and legs via his oesophagus.” Everyone on site started looking very busy after that.

• movita beaucoup October 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Okay. I feel better. Once again, a Brit saves the day!

(Also, tell that water guy that we need to get into that house this week. Because you have to get your pumpkin ready for Pumpkin Carve-Off 2011.)

4. kydel October 25, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Oh wow…chicken AND beer! Where is my slow cooker…

• movita beaucoup October 25, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Probably under a big pile of yarn… Maybe if you just drank the beer (copious quantities) that trapped nerve in your neck would… well, it would feel better, wouldn’t it?

• kydel October 27, 2011 at 7:54 am #

I think you might be right there…on all counts! Even if the trapped nerve didn’t feel better I definitely would care much 🙂

5. glutenfreezen October 25, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Love, love, love, my crock pot! My sister in law informed me recently that she doesn’t have one…with a slightly snobby attitude. (She’s a doctor and I guess she likes to make life harder than it should be after a long day of treating whiney complainers.) Me: “What? You don’t have a crock pot? Seriously, you’re joking, right? Wow.” Guess what she’s getting from me for Christmas. Anyhoo…can’t wait to try this, looks delish and as usual you gave me a chuckle. I might be apt to spread that schedule out over three pages next time… 😉

• movita beaucoup October 25, 2011 at 10:48 am #

I’m currently planning a ten-page outline of our next rehearsal. With flow charts and ratios. That’ll teach ’em!

I think your sister in law NEEDS a slow cooker. And a slow cooker recipe book! You must teach her our ways…

6. Kim Bee October 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

New follower sent over by Dee at Deelicious Sweets. Is it too early to say I love you? I can dial back the crazy till you get to know me a bit. Ah heck, why pretend. I adore this recipe. I must make it. Slow cookers are a way of life here. If I want to take my daughter to ride her horse every day and still eat something that didn’t come from a greasy sack then slow cookers are the way to go. I use plural as I have 4. I look forward to poking around here some more. Have a great day.

• movita beaucoup October 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

No. This is not awkward at all. We should probably be best friends. Also, I will start stalking you via the interweb. That’s what friends do, right?

I’m so glad we’ve found each other.

7. Kim Bee October 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

And I cannot stop laughing at your disclaimer.

• movita beaucoup October 25, 2011 at 11:10 pm #

I’m basically savin’ lives everyday.

8. sarahsjoys October 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

I can’t wait to try this!! I am in need of new crock pot recipes…thanks! You may like the Ginger Rum Shandies I posted on my blog. I find they are perfect for those days when a rant and a nice drink are in order. And hey, if you’ve got the beer on hand already from bbq beer chicken… 😉 sarahsjoys.wordpress.com It’s in the ‘drinks’ section!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

You are obviously very wise. I’ll be checking out the recipe!

9. Sham October 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

sounds delish! i might have to give this one a try 🙂

10. leighgoodstuff October 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Absolute perfection – and your pictures are wonderful, really wonderful. Great blog, great food.

11. Peas and Cougars October 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Wow, those look really good! I’m trying to find more uses for my crockpot, so I think I’m going to have to give these a try!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

I must say, my crockpot has been under-utilized. But that’s all changing! Long live the slow cooked meal!

12. notesfromrumbleycottage October 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

We did a crock pot pulled pork during the heat of the summer, which was great! Great food without heating up the kitchen.

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

You know, I never think to use the slow cooker in the summer, but you’re right! Your genius has been noted.

13. karyl33 October 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

yum – that looks GOOOOOD!

14. Jodine October 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Looks good. Everything tastes better with beer.

I have a simular recipe I hope you don’t mind me sharing it

Nice blog!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Thanks, Jodine! I’ll check it out!

15. Oh God, My Wife Is German October 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm #

Jeez I’m hungry now. Thanks a lot. 🙂

Great post! Will follow!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I just peed my pants a little. Because I was reading your blog. I’m your new super fan. And because I’m so damn smart, I have an excuse for looking the way I do. (Please thank your wife.)

16. ironwoodfarm October 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

My goodness…this beer-and-chickeny sloppy jo was on the front page of WordPress.com! You’re, like, famous (even if you didn’t invent the dish!) 🙂 heatherjay

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

I know. Do you think we can still be friends? You know, given that I’m so famous?

17. Eva McCane October 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

i can’t imagine there’s a man in the world that would turn down bbq beer chicken. sounds amazing! i MUST make this in the next few weeks. sounds like a good weekend comfort food. thanks for sharing!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

You’re welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

18. midnitechef October 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

your secret is safe with me, the rest of WP world is another story though 😉 Congrats!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

I’m sure they’ll keep it on the down-low…

19. Kat October 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Delightfully witty and perfect for dinner! I love crockpot recipes in the winter…coming home from a long, hard day of work to an already cooked meal. Perfection.

Kat

20. fireygoddess October 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

this is awesome. beer chicken is the best! i’m crazy about crock potting. I’m a married reformed feminist crock pot lover, but i’ll deny it. nice work.

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

Your secret’s safe with me. And anyone else who reads this comment…

21. Donkey Whisperer Farm October 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Looks really good especially now that we are into the cooler time of year. Congratulations!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

OH MY GOD! I’M OBSESSED WITH DONKEYS AND A DONKEY WHISPERER JUST COMMENTED ON MY BLOG. (I’m not yelling. I’m just very excited.) Best. Day. Ever.

22. wevelostcontrol October 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

looks so yummyyyyyy!! hmmm

23. Eggton October 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Hello! It is NOT WRONG to eat left-overs on breakfast potatoes. I just moved from NY to Alabama, and when you go to a bbq place here, you basically have no choice but to get a WHOLE CHICKEN, so I have been eating bbq-chicken-scrambled-eggs in a major way. It is not sustainable, but it is not wrong. Bravo, I say.

Also, I do not have a crock pot yet. I recently started a food blog, which in my view means I am entitled to extra food-related presents for Christmas. Any suggestions for the brand of crock pot I should ask for?

Gracias, and your blog is awesome,
    Katherine (www.eggton.com)

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Thanks for stopping by – good luck with your blog. It’s so wonderful to meet all sorts of invisible people…

As for slow cookers, we have a Cuisinart – and love it! (Almost as I’m loving your adorable dog!)

24. Brookie B. October 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

If only I had a crockpot 🙁 I’m on that poor college kid diet but it looks delicious! One day….. one day!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Dream big, Brookie B., dream big!

25. Aileen Torres October 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

Looks delish! (Kudos, by the way, on your well-designed site.)

26. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer October 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

After the summer of cooking beer-barbequed chicken from the Barbecue Bible, I’m all ready to start the fall with beer barbecue chicken.

Could the recipe be made with a heavy cast-iron pot for those of us who are crock-pot-less?

Ronnie

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

That’s a good question. I’m assuming so! I guess the most important part of the recipe is cooking slow, so I’d give it a try!

27. Angie Polizzi, Owner of Pink Beauty Basket October 26, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

That looks delicious!

28. aefountain October 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

Definitely a recipe I have to try. I make a BBQ pork pull with BBQ sauce and orange marmalade and my adult kids love it. Thanks for sharing.

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Oh, that sounds amazing! We were just talking about the merits of orange + meat yesterday at work… yum!

29. aparnanairphotography October 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

Wow, I’m a vegetarian and even I’m drooling. Fabulous! And so are the pictures! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on fp!

• movita beaucoup October 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Thank you! You, by the way, have a lovely blog!

30. eva626 October 27, 2011 at 12:29 am #

beer and bbq??? ,,,interesting and a first for me!! lol great post and pictures

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Oh, yes. They go together like peanut butter and jam!

31. Buy Battlefield October 27, 2011 at 12:41 am #

This is awesome!!! Very interesting, i’m trying it out tommorrow. =)

32. Air Jordan Heels October 27, 2011 at 1:38 am #

It looks delicious,but i’m lazy to cook by myself. Usually i prefer Mcdonald’s. Maybe when i have a gf, she may cook it for me. Dreaming….

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:36 am #

Ha! Well, yes. You could get someone to make it for you. It would be even EASIER than using a crockpot yourself!

33. Peauxetic Expressions October 27, 2011 at 1:49 am #

This looks and sounds really good. I love using the crockpot…..just turn it on and walk away, lol. I will try this out. Thanks for sharing.

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:37 am #

Thanks for stopping by! Hope your crockpot loves it…

34. Mimi Maita October 27, 2011 at 2:07 am #

YUMMY

• kydel October 27, 2011 at 8:18 am #

That is the best avatar I think I’ve ever seen. Fact.

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 8:24 am #

I was thinking that too. Look at that worldly bunny!

35. sunandclearpebbles October 27, 2011 at 2:13 am #

This looks really, really yummy. I think I might just have to make it for dinner. Oh, and you’re a dance teacher? Ever better. Consider me your new follower 🙂

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:38 am #

Thanks! (Dance teachers eat a lot. I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement of our contract.)

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:39 am #

Bah ha! I just checked out your blog – you teach dance too!

36. occupied party planning October 27, 2011 at 2:30 am #

Oh Gosh I’m hungry now… this is not South Beach friendly 😉

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Though someone up above pointed out that the slow cooker doesn’t heat up a kitchen… does that make it more South Beach friendly?

37. iamsarabjeet October 27, 2011 at 3:52 am #

Yummy 🙂

38. ladorable October 27, 2011 at 4:18 am #

looks amazing. great burger !

39. bebestyles October 27, 2011 at 4:43 am #

Yummm, that looks delicious. Should be better if you add some lettuces and tomatoes….but that’s just my choice. I’m gonna try this recipe this weekend now.

40. popkron October 27, 2011 at 5:24 am #

looks very yummy, and my tummy is now singing :3

popkron.com

41. intelcorei3 October 27, 2011 at 5:41 am #

hi i’m indonesian
    this is so brilliant and amazing

42. InCucinaDaME October 27, 2011 at 6:17 am #

yummy

43. movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:43 am #

Thanks so much for stopping by, everyone! I really appreciate the comments, and I’m thrilled that so many of you are new followers. Stay in touch!

44. Mikalee Byerman October 27, 2011 at 7:59 am #

I think I’m in love.

Crock pot recipe: Check.

Crock pot recipe involving beer: Check.

You have a 2.0: Super cool! (My blog is called “Me 2.0.”)

So glad you were Freshly Pressed! 🙂

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 8:38 am #

Thanks! I’ll have to check out your blog – version 2.0 of anything is usually awesome…

45. nilaytb October 27, 2011 at 8:20 am #

interesting actually. i love the idea.

46. rubyophelia October 27, 2011 at 8:48 am #

I’ve just eaten the biggest lunch ever.
    And now i’m hungry!

I don’t normally start planning the evening meal til ohhh… 3pm… but its 12.47pm and i already know what i’m gonna cook… wow. record broken!

Congrats on freshly pressed!
    Rubelle’s Moon

47. PrettyGee October 27, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Congrats on being FP! This post makes me hugry, lol

48. anipics October 27, 2011 at 10:11 am #

i´m so hungry 😉

49. Susan October 27, 2011 at 10:19 am #

This is EXACTLY what I want to eat right now. Love your writing, too.

50. klownboy October 27, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Mmmm, you’ve got a brotha’s mouth watering. Suddenly I am inspired to devour sloppy joes.

Enjoyed your post!

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

This comment made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that!

51. Carlie Chew October 27, 2011 at 11:10 am #

Yummm, this sounds incredible. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

52. Huffygirl October 27, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Sounds yummy. I haven’t had my crock pot out in a long time. I’m going to try it. Nice that you could be FP’d and your recipe source too – two for one!

53. abichica October 27, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Great, i didnt read that blog before, but i have to say that ill be subscribing to it because its awesome!! thanks for showing it to us who never saw it before.. 😀

54. Liz Benitez October 27, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Your pictures make me hungry. And yes i am going over to “How sweet it is” for the recipe. Grats on FP.

55. lgsmash October 27, 2011 at 11:56 am #

This looks delish! It’s not even lunchtime yet and my mouth is watering. BBQ, beer and crockpots are 3 of my favorite things – thanks for sharing! I’ll be trying my hand at crockpot BBQ this weekend.

56. megtrippin October 27, 2011 at 11:58 am #

You have just inspired me to get a crockpot!

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Crockpot manufacturers really owe me now…

57. gaycarboys October 27, 2011 at 11:58 am #

it sounds fabulous. I’ll give a new recipe a go. why not:)

58. Mike Staf October 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

I did this with bourbon and pre-crisped bacon. Now if the Giants lose, I don’t particularly care.

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Wow. That’s saying a lot for this recipe! (Um, go Giants!)

59. trialsinfood October 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

Looks good! Love recipes where u can just walk away……

60. johnhauge October 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

ok. i’m going to have to try this. sounds great.

61. spottedfootprints October 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Oh.my.gosh. I need to make this this weekend. Definitely a Sunday, football munchie goodness recipe. Can’t wait to taste this!

62. 3beaglesandawhitedog October 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

This should be included with amazing comfort foods. Love adding beer or wine to recipes. I just made a stew last night with an Austrian beer.

63. FutureFormerBoss October 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

So glad you got freshly pressed, and I have a new recipe to try! Looks fantastic.

64. Stephen Robinson October 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

This makes me miss the states.

65. Christine October 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Spacially unaware! It’s the worst and I am glad I am not the only one who has problems staying zen around it! BTW, every single Jessica/How Sweet recipe I’ve ever tried turned out amazingly well and was relatively easy to prepare (and make disappear).

66. Shelvasha October 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

This recipe has made my mouth water! I love everything about your site, the elegance, the simplicity and the recipes you have are amazing! I look forward to reading more!

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

Oh my! Thank you so much! You have a lovely blog, so I take your words as a great compliment. I’ve just subscribed to your blog – see you soon…

67. frugalfeeding October 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Sounds like an idiot parent to me! Probably shouldn’t say that though… this looks delicious as usual!

• movita beaucoup October 27, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Maybe, just maybe, when you have kids you’re too tired to be smart. (See that? I’m giving her the benefit of the doubt.)

• frugalfeeding October 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

You’re far less damning than I…

68. natasiarose October 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

mmm that chicken looks great, almost like pulled pork.

69. the Jilb October 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

I’m planning on making this for Halloween. Glad to see someone else liked it. And I love How Sweet It Is!

70. Corey October 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

A) I also love How Sweet It is!

and B) This looks amazing. I want it right now. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

71. kalafels October 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Sounds and looks good.

72. foodyrach October 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

I love letting something simmer or slow cook all day on Sunday. The aroma that fills the air creates such anticipation. And beer & bbq? I bet that smells delicious!

73. billywee October 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Wow, what a great post! I might just try it! Can you check out my blog? http://www.willbriantreviews.wordpress.com I am quite new to it all so any advice would be great! Thanks! Will

74. rachsmith October 30, 2011 at 5:29 am #

ooh…thank you for flagging this up – am always looking out for one-pot wonders…and one which involves beer and chicken – PHWOR! Thanks for the inspiration

75. gemmafraserphotography October 30, 2011 at 6:52 am #

looks amazing =]

check out my blog for everything photography!!

76. Thrift Shopping Buzz October 31, 2011 at 4:33 am #

Bravo! What a yummy post! I’ll be back for more!

77. Julia October 31, 2011 at 10:01 am #

I missed this post! How did I miss this post? What if I’d never seen it?! *hyperventilates* It doesn’t bear thinking about. Fortunately I have seen it now and shall be making this as soon as is physically possible.

P.S. slow moving, spatially unaware people at the grocery store are the worst kind of people.

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

Aren’t they though? And I’m sorry you missed this post. Next time, I’ll be sure to send smoke signals…

78. Carol October 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

My Lord! I made this yesterday and it was yummy yummy yummy. My husband thought he had died and gone to heaven. This is definitely a keeper!!

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I’m so glad you liked it! And thanks for taking the time to tell me about the success!

79. artisanfoodsinc October 31, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Beer, BBQ and crockpot, love it! ^.^~

80. michelleandelskitchen November 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Yes please! Thank you!

81. petitedecadence November 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

that looks insanely good for a late sunday lunch! Thanks for sending us to How seet it is, I’d missed this one!

82. petitedecadence November 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

that looks insanely good for a late sunday lunch! Thanks for sending us to How sweet it is, I’d missed this one!

83. liztesar November 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

YUMMM! Now I’m hungry!

84. April November 1, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

This recipe sounds awesome. I going to give it try soon!!

85. Indecisive Bite November 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Huge fan of this recipe but….have your ever have beer butt chicken or beer canned chicken?

• movita beaucoup November 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Oh, I surely have. And I love it! Beer + chicken = awesome!

86. dramachicky November 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

I got the recipe and made it to eat with friends this past Monday night; SO YUMMY! Definitely added to my list of quick favorite meals.

87. sportsglutton November 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Looks phenomenal to me and would definitely it the spot with another beer. cheers!

88. Emily December 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

Jodie’s gonna love this RMD! We love you.

89. Jen @ JuanitasCocina January 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

So, I found this will perusing your site. And it’s going to fit so nicely in my cocina.

And I just realized that in a weird way, cocina rhymes with movita.

I’ll let you know how it turns out!

• movita beaucoup February 1, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Yay! This is terribly exciting. Mostly because cocina kinda rhymes with movita, but also because we’ve found each other!

90. movita beaucoup October 29, 2014 at 8:22 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in October 2011. Happy cooking!

1. Crock❧Pot BBQ Beer Chicken « Cookpendium - October 27, 2011

[…] slow cooker sunday – crockpot bbq beer chicken (movitabeaucoup.com) […]

2. Beer BBQ and Football | What did you learn in school today? - November 1, 2011

[…] pictures of the Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken from movita beaucoup and over at how Sweet it is helped solidify our dinner plans for Saturday night. Smoked paprika = […]

3. BBQ Beer Chicken. « - November 1, 2011

[…] of weeks ago I was checking out the freshly pressed page and clicked on a blog entry about,  Crock Pot BBQ Beer Chicken by movita beaucoup.     I was so happy I did.  She posted about a slow cooker recipe that used a few simple ingredients, […]