Pumpkin Carve-Off 2011 – The Final Vote…

… and a last minute entry.

The Rutherfords. What can I say? In typical Rutherford form, they sent their Pumpkin Carve-Off entry in at 4:05 pm, Sunday afternoon. 16 hours late, and five minutes after the final grouping was posted. And at first I was all like, too late, Rutherfords – you can suck it. But people, when I saw their photos I thought you needed to see them too. Because 1) their pumpkin amazing, and 2) there are some seriously creepy kid hands in the bottom right-hand corner of the second photo. Creepy Rutherford child hands. There’s nothing more chilling than that. So, I leave it to you. You can vote for them if you like their pumpkin. Or if you think: too bad, Rutherfords, you should have sent your photos on time like the rest of us bloody well did? Then don’t vote for them. That’s reasonably fair, right?

So, here are the finalists plus the eleventh-hour Rutherfords. Now is the time to call in your favours. If you want to win, you’re going to have to get out there and force people to vote for you. Please visit the original posts for Group 1 and Group 2 if you’d like some additional information/photos of our finalists’ pumpkins. And remember, a vote for The Rutherfords is a vote for creepy child hands.

PUMPKIN 1 – winner, Group 1 – Haddy’s Butternut, The Long Goodnight

PUMPKIN 2 – winner, Group 2  – Bill Beaucoup’s Cat Farm Shout Out

PUMPKIN 3 – runner-up, Group 1 – 2.0’s Spooky Tree

PUMPKIN 4 – runner-up, Group 2 – Michelle’s Grim Reaper

PUMPKIN 5 – losers late entry – The Rutherfords’ Extra Late Extra-Terrestrial

Also, I would just like to say that my pumpkin received fewer votes than any other pumpkin in round one. But I won’t think of you as jerks. I’ll think of you as people with bad taste.

Now, go forth and cast your votes!

Voting will close at 11 pm (Atlantic/Halifax, NS time), Monday, October 31st. Happy Halloween!

Oh, and guess what? Ginger 2011 is just around the corner. Start planning your gingerbread houses!

17 Responses to Pumpkin Carve-Off 2011 – The Final Vote…

1. Tina@flourtrader October 31, 2011 at 8:17 am #

Awesome carving-wish I had this kind of talent but I would most likely end up with a cut finger and ruin the whole thing. Love the ET-unusual and stunning details.

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2011 at 8:20 am #

1) If you don’t slice open a finger, you’re probably doing it wrong.
      2) You can’t like the ET. It belongs to The Rutherfords.

2. Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

BB and I are getting clobbered. Why did I tell people I don’t want their pity votes in the final round???

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

I say: a vote for 2.0 is a vote for the Cat Farm! Vote 2.0!

3. Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

I think they’re all great! Yesterday, I voted for BB’s Cat Farm Shout Out. Now, I can’t decide. By the way, my three-year-old says that The Long Goodnight is not a pumpkin. It’s a gourd.

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Your three-year-old is very wise. It’s a butternut squash. I guess they don’t have pumpkins in Toronto, so Haddy was forced to use a gourd…

4. Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

I hope not to be impartial, but ET call home is amazing!!
    They are all pretty great though. Happy Hallowe’en!!

5. Chip Zdarsky October 31, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

I have voted with my heart, and out of fear.

6. Chip Zdarsky October 31, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

ALSO, google image search “ET pumpkin.”

The Rutherfords make me sick.

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

Oh. My. God. I hate them even more now.

• Chip Zdarsky November 1, 2011 at 11:11 am #

I think they should be DISQUALIFIED and BANNED from entering in the future.
        WHO’S WITH ME?

• movita beaucoup November 1, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

But I’m going to beat them. I am. Soon. I promise. You believe in me, right?

7. heatherjay October 31, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Maybe next year you should have 2 categories: 1) Traced from a template printed off the interweb, and 2) painstakingly designed and handcarved from pure inspiration.
    (Just kidding – Haddy’s gourd rocks! Although I would have voted for Bill Beaucoup’s likeness in finals!)

• Movita's Sister October 31, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

I loved BB’s likeness and the sheep. It was cruel to put them in the same round.

8. Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

While all the finalists’ pumpkins (gourds) are very artistic and well crafted, I have to say that I find Dee’s son’s the most frightening. It has a bland but menacing corporate look about it which reminds me of the computer in “2001, A Space Odyssey”. Absolutely terrifying!

• movita beaucoup November 1, 2011 at 8:38 am #

I’ve gotta agree. It’s kinda smiling. Like it knows something. Creepy.

9. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 11:56 am #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in October 2011. Thanks for stopping by!