slow cooker beef stew

slow cooker beef stew | movita beaucoup

Storm’s a comin’ to these here parts. Rain, and lots of it. Wind gusts of 80 kilometres per hour. (That’s like a million miles per hour for you Americans.) I’m betting Rosie Beaucoup will be on high alert. Some people rely on Environment Canada or the Canadian Hurricane Centre for weather updates. Not 2.0 and I – we’ve got Rosie Beaucoup. Since Hurricane Juan hit us in 2003, Rosie has become a storm tracker. A woman obsessed. She issues her own warnings, storm watches and weather related news. “Have you got water boiled and in thermoses? Have you got flashlights and an emergency radio?” Oh yes, Rosie Beaucoup, you bet we do.

slow cooker beef stew | movita beaucoup

For a while, I was worried that Rosie would trade in one or all of her children for Chris St. Clair. He works for The Weather Network here in Canada. Apparently, Rosie thinks he’s more dependable than her own kids, and generally more agreeable. She’ll often refer to him just as Chris, like he’s already joined our family or something, and we’re all on a first-name basis. “Chris says that the asteroid probably won’t hit us.” Like Chris knows anything about asteroids.

Anyhoo, you know what tastes good on a stormy day? Stew. Stew will warm your bones on a cold fall day. Stew will melt some of your stress away, and make you think things are going to be just fine – no matter what Rosie has told you the weather is going to do to you. I made this particular bone-warmer on the weekend, and then we ate the leftovers until Wednesday. It is a delightfully hearty and tasty stew, and it makes one huge honkin’ pot of awesomeness. (I wonder if Chris knows how to make stew?)

slow cooker beef stew | movita beaucoup

So this storm that’s a comin’? It will hit tomorrow, on Remembrance Day. Appropriate for the mood of the day, I suppose, but still, I hate to think of the Veterans being pelted with wind and rain. They’ve done enough. If I could bring each of those Veterans a big bowl of stew I would. Instead, I will stand with them in the wind and the rain. It’s the least we can do, wouldn’t you say?

Note: I have a BIG slow cooker (it holds 6 or 7 quarts), if you have a wee one, you may need to adjust the quantities.

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

recipe: inspired by many

print, make and warm your body from the inside out

• 2 lbs of stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 medium sized onions, chopped into large pieces
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • about 20 mini-potatoes, cut large ones in half, leave smallest ones as is (I like to use a mix of yellow, red and blue, no need to peel)
  • 1  28 oz. can whole tomatoes (I use plum tomatoes)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 3 cups sodium reduced beef broth, divided
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then lightly brown the meat in batches. Transfer browned beef to a plate and set aside.

Dump the tomatoes into the slow cooker (juice and all). Crush them with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. Add the onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the vegetables and then add the beef and any accumulated drippings. Pour 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth over the beef and vegetables. Give the mixture a quick stir. Add the bay leaves.

Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas (no need to defrost first), salt and pepper. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth, creating a smooth paste. Stir into the stew. Replace the slow cooker cover and cook until thickened (about 15-20 minutes).

Remove the bay leaves before serving.

170 Responses to slow cooker beef stew

1. Amrita November 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I love slow cooker beef stews, my husband made one a couple of weeks back and it’s perfect for fall and colder weather! Great recipe!

2. Ann November 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Wow that soup looks like it comes from a magazine! It’s freezing where I am, despite it being San Diego (or maybe i’m just a thin-skinned ninny), and this looks like the perfect lunch. Wish I could have it now instead of 8-10 hours later, but the long wait probably makes it that much better!

• movita beaucoup November 11, 2011 at 6:43 am #

It really is worth the wait. Plus, you can take it in your lunch box through the week and make your co-workers very, very jealous.

3. Biana | Simple and Tasty Recipes November 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

This stew looks great – so many wonderful ingredients!

4. Dee at Deelicous Sweets November 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Mmmm stew! This looks so good. My mama is my weather woman. Every freakin time she calls she talks about the weather. I mean really, aren’t we passed the small talk about weather? I’ve known her for 36 years! I love your little serving pots. Those are super cute.

• movita beaucoup November 11, 2011 at 6:46 am #

Those little serving pots belonged to my Aunt Marjorie and Uncle Cecil. My dear, sweet cousin Michele passed them on to me when my Uncle passed away several years ago. I adore them, and they have little lids too!

5. Ira Rodrigues November 11, 2011 at 1:55 am #

drop by and say hi, thx anyway for the recipe and i love it!

6. Emmalina November 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

I love stew like some people love religion and by that I mean with a scary devotion. And yes I would kill to defend my stew, ask anyone, it’s just who I am.

• movita beaucoup November 15, 2011 at 9:19 am #

I think if one isn’t willing to kill for stew, they probably don’t have great priorities. That’s just common sense.

7. fattydumpling November 16, 2011 at 4:24 am #

BE CAREFUL IN NOVA SCOTIA. Guelph’s been getting lots of rain lately too, but I just slap on my rainboots and hope that I don’t get too wet.

Mmm, I’ve actually been really craving beef stew for a while now. Must be because of all the cold weather, haha. I bought some pork a few days ago and was excited until I realized that pork is not beef.

• movita beaucoup November 16, 2011 at 8:01 am #

Bah! This made me laugh! Also, I will be VERY CAREFUL IN NOVA SCOTIA. Because I trust you implicitly.

8. Caroline November 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Looks tasty! Can’t wait to try this. I have to ask, where did you get thoose beautiul bowls? I need bowls like that! lol! Love them.

• movita beaucoup November 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

I inherited the bowls – and love them so, so much. Guess you’ll have to find a knock off!

Thanks for stopping by…

9. iamnsharin November 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

oh how I luv you!! these recipes are heaven sent and I for one can’t wait til the winter months in PA to make this delish recipe…along with the chocolate pudding(cake) and yummy cookies…oh it will be SWEET! Thank you so much for your blog I don’t know what i did without it.

10. Shelia Holcomb August 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Yum, thanks for sharing. I love beef stew, but I don’t usually
    add the spices. I’ll bet this is delicious!

11. elaine sabourin August 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Making this now except that I’m using elk meat! Already smells delicious…can’t wait for supper. I’m serving bannock with it :)

12. Christy September 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Is it necessary to brown the meat first? Can I just dump it all in the slow cooker and let it cook all day?

• movita beaucoup September 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

I’ve always browned it first – so I can’t recommend anything else personally, as I haven’t tried it. Browning the meat generally adds to flavouring and helps seal in moisture. I’m sure it wouldn’t be the end of the world if you skipped that step. If you try it without browning first, please let me know how it goes!

• movita beaucoup September 4, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Here are some additional tips: http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/2006/01/browning_meat_f.html

13. Christy September 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Thank you! I’ll definitely let you know. My mornings are always so hectic so just trying to avoid one more step. ;)

14. Ashtynne Hudson September 7, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

What kind of Italian seasoning do you use? I rarely cook but would love to try this recipe! Looks awesome!!

• movita beaucoup September 8, 2012 at 9:52 am #

It’s actually called Italian seasoning – you can find it in the spice section at many grocery stores. If you have any trouble finding it, let me know, and I’ll check out the ingredient list – you could probably make your own!

15. Anonymous September 8, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I added corn instead of peas.. delish!

• movita beaucoup September 8, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Corn would be awesome! I often throw what ever veggies I’ve got in there – I love the sweetness corn adds to soups and stews!

16. Erin September 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Made this and it was very yummy but I had some trouble with the carrots and potatoes being under cooked. I remedied this by boiling it all on the stove for 30 minutes.

• Anonymous January 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Put the potatoes on the bottom of the crock pot. They will cook better.

17. Jenna September 12, 2012 at 11:06 am #

This looks so very delicious. I love those bowls too, where did you get them? do they have a brand name on the bottom?

• movita beaucoup September 13, 2012 at 5:57 am #

I inherited them from a late Uncle – they are probably 40 or 50 years old! No brand on the bottom – just someone’s initials!

18. Amanda September 14, 2012 at 12:22 am #

So I just put this all in my crockpot to leave overnight. I’ve never made any stew before.. But felt like the broth wasn’t enough… All of my vegetables and meat were sticking out at the top. Is this how it should look? I was scared to add any extra. Thanks!

• movita beaucoup September 14, 2012 at 5:53 am #

Amanda – without seeing your situation, it’s hard to answer! You probably saw my note up above that I have a very large slow cooker – it holds a lot – and I recommended adjusting ingredients if your slow cooker isn’t holding everything. That said, I think some of my ingredients end up sticking up and out a bit, and then as they cook they shrink a little. I hope it turns out for you!

19. Jennifer September 15, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Do you have to use a slow cooker? Or could you use the simmer on the stove with a large stock pot? I dont have a slow cooker, but really, really want to make this!!

• movita beaucoup September 16, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Jennifer, I haven’t tried it on the stove, so I really can’t make a personal recommendation. That said, I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work on the stove! You’d have to keep an eye on the cook time, as I’m sure it would be different from the slow cooker method. If you try it, please let me know how it works out!!

20. Cathy Jones September 16, 2012 at 8:16 am #

I made this last night. Just tasted it and it is perfect, except for the stew meat. It seems dry to me. I think it may have been that I didn’t sear it well enough when browning. I did notice this morning that I had meat at the top of the pot, not covered in broth. Maybe that caused it to dry out? I think I had more like three lbs instead of two anyway. I will be more careful next time!

• movita beaucoup September 16, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Hi Cathy – thanks so much for the report! I guess I’ll stick to 2 lbs. of stew meat on your recommendation! My slow cooker is a big sucker, so it’s easier to keep the meat covered in broth. I do give it a good sear before I put it in, and that is supposed to keep the moisture in, but I’m no food scientist!! I also like to stir the stew on occasion, and I think that helps to make sure no meat gets stuck on top for the whole cooking time…

Thanks again for stopping by to give some feedback!

21. Camara September 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

I made this tonight. It was the best beef stew I’ve ever had, even my 3 year old loved it. Thank you.

• movita beaucoup September 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Yippie!! I’m so glad to hear this! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know – you’ve totally made my day!

22. Kate September 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

yumm! These bowls are really cute too :)

23. Anonymous September 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Can you cook this in less than 8 hours? Like if I put it on high how many hours should I do?

• movita beaucoup September 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

I haven’t tested it on high, so I can’t answer that for you – I’d hate to guess on something like that! I don’t recommend anything I haven’t tried personally.

24. Kim September 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Yumm yumm yumm!! Thanks for posting :)

25. Crystal September 21, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Tried this today, but I didn’t use a slow cooker. I don’t have one! :0 It was great though! I cooked my beef and then dumped everything in and let it simmer on the stove for about an hour and a half. Served with corn muffins, yum! The only thing I did differently was add a TBS of my homemade onion soup mix along with the Italian seasoning. Perfect stew to start off the fall season! Thanks!

26. riverofopportunities125 September 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

It’s already been cold here in the Rockies of Colorado. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe out very soon! Thanks for posting it! I think I will also include a splash of cooking sherry or brandy as well. Yum!

27. Nat in the Kitchen September 25, 2012 at 11:28 am #

I can’t wait to try this! About how many servings does it yield?

• movita beaucoup September 26, 2012 at 5:44 am #

My slow cooker is huge, and there are only two of us here, so I’d say that it easily serves 6-8! (When we make it, we get to eat it for a few meals…)

28. Dannee September 27, 2012 at 11:43 am #

That looks fabulous! Oh my gosh! I love beef stew and that sounds soooo good. My hubby won’t eat the veggies but he may just have to deal. Or, maybe I can wait until he is gone on business again so then it will be winter. I can just imagine this with a side of cornbread.

29. Carrie September 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I need to change it a tad to make it gluten free. Will it work out the same to use corn starch in place of flour? Fingers crossed!!! This looks delish!

• movita beaucoup September 28, 2012 at 7:37 am #

I’m sure cornstarch would be absolutely fine – it’s meant to thicken the broth, and many people use cornstarch for that purpose!

30. kristy September 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Making this now! My husband could eat stew every day of the year and he saw the picture and made his puppy dog eyes – how could I say no? I own the exact bowls that were once owned by my Mom. Thanks for sharing.

31. Lori October 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

It’s chilly and rainy here in NY today. My husband is out bow hunting and I thought this would be the perfect meal to warm him up when he gets home. The picture looks so delicious, I cannot wait! I just wish my husband didn’t loathe peas so much. I don’t dare put them in.

• movita beaucoup October 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

You know, I hate peas too! But somehow I don’t mind them in stews… I hope you like the stew – and that it warms you and your hubby from the inside out!

32. Karen October 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Hi! Just made this and it is delicious. Thanks for such a great recipe!!

33. Tiffany October 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Your stew looks delicious!! I have it in the slow cooker right now…. I hope cooking it on high for a shorter time will work though, as I started it kinda late. The only thing I did differently is add a pack of Lipton onion mushroom soup mix. (I still added all your recomended seasonings too) and I am going to add corn instead of peas.

• movita beaucoup October 19, 2012 at 5:51 am #

I think corn would be great in the stew – it adds such a nice sweetness to things. I hope it all came together!

34. Kathie ott October 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I made the the stew and I am not a very good cook or really cook that often but this was Delish !! I used a arm roast instead of stew meat and red potatoes… So good!! Thank you!!

35. Kristi October 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

This was absolutely delicious! It took a bit more time than I typically like to put into a crockpot meal but it was totally worth it! My family gave this a 10!

• movita beaucoup October 17, 2012 at 5:27 am #

Yay! I’m so glad! Thanks for stopping back to let me know…

36. Anonymous October 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

I made this last night and it was AMAZING! I have searched (Failed many times) to find a great beef stew recipe in the crock pot. My veggies and meat began to stick out occasionally, but I just stirred it a couple of times. Also, the potatoes and carrots were still slightly crunchy but not under cooked. I will cook the full 10 hours instead of the 9 I did. But it did help the veggies not get mushy when were ate it today for lunch! Thanks for the recipe!

37. Anonymous October 24, 2012 at 1:33 am #

I will be trying this on a day i have off. Thanks.

38. nancy October 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Hey where did you get those adorable bowls?! lol jk. can’t wait to try this recipe it looks amazing! =)

• Anonymous December 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

those bowls are actually for French onion soup…you place the soup inside and then after you add bread and cheese you bake it in the oven and serve…can find them at most kitchen stores

39. Marianne Kiehl October 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Making tis stew for the second time in six weeks! It is delicious! Don’t like peas so used frozen green beans instead. Worked fine.o

40. Anonymous October 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

I made it and it was delicious!!! Made it again later on in the week! Yummmy classic recipe

41. prince26155 November 1, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

I tried this recipe because I’ve not found anything close to my mother-in-law beef stew. This is one I could at least adapt. I made it the way you said, with one exceptions. My mother-in-law always thicken her beef stew with browned flour. So I used that as the thickening. It was pretty close and my husband loved it.

42. Jennifer November 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

I made your stew tonight, and it is amazing, however i made it in a pressure cooker in about 30 minutes and way yummmmm.

43. Michele November 7, 2012 at 4:16 am #

Yummy. I made it for my kids. And like most stews. The second day was even better. I added some sliced mushrooms and they were delicious in your stew. So easy to make. Thank you

44. lori ann larmand November 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

we made this during hurricane sandy (thankful we kept power throughout) and it was just simply classic. Exactly what beef stew should be. Timeless & thrilled we found it.

45. ortsofsorts November 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

The stew looks great – and the bowls look to be Hull or McCoy (most likely Hull)…

46. Emily November 12, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Do you just use regular Italian seasoning flakes or an actual Italian seasoning mixture seasoning?

• movita beaucoup November 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

I use Italian seasoning from the spice aisle at the grocery store – so easy!

47. designbytess November 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

wonderful recipe and AMAZING stew! I linked the post I did on this back to you. Have a great Sunday!

48. Becca November 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Just finished eating! Made mini focaccia to go with! Delicious!! Thanks so much

49. towles November 27, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

This was delicious. I used Trader Joe’s 21 Salute in place of Italian seasoning and cooked on high for 6 hours and it was great. Thanks!

50. Carmen December 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

I just seen two bowls like this at a thrift store we have here in town. I passed them up because I already have too many little thing like this in my kitchen but after reading how many people want thease i should have picked them up and passed them on…

51. Jen December 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

I must have done something horribly wrong. The meat is way overdone, the potatoes are hard as rocks, and the liquid is not thick at all. Ideas?

• movita beaucoup December 9, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Aw, no!! It’s really hard for me to guess at what might have happened, but here are some random thoughts: maybe your potato pieces were bigger than mine (took longer to cook), and maybe your beef cubes were smaller (making them cook faster)? Did you brown the beef? That helps keep the moisture in. Did you use all-purpose flour for thickening? Any substitutions or changes will give us different results (uh, I know this because I do it all of the time)!

52. brittany m. December 11, 2012 at 1:31 am #

Hi there! My kids were running around earlier so I was trying hurry up with this recipe earlier and didn’t realize the oil was only to be used for browning your meat first (if you chose to do so). I added it to the slow cooker with everything. Will this make the beef stew taste like oil? If so, how bad? Will it ruin the beef stew?

• movita beaucoup December 11, 2012 at 5:35 am #

Hi Brittany – I think a tablespoon of olive oil will be absolutely fine in the stew – it’s not very much, and let’s face it: olive oil is awesome! Now, I’ve never tried it, so I hope you’ll let us know how it turned out…

• brittany m. December 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

you couldn’t even taste the olive oil! I am eating this while I’m writing this and I have to say this beef stew is so delicious! such an excellent recipe :)! Being from south Louisiana, I ate it over some rice.. haha down here, rice with everything. My mom has always had the best beef stew, but I have to say this tops that in my opinion. I’ll definitely have to share your recipe! yum yum!!

• movita beaucoup December 13, 2012 at 5:35 am #

Yippie! Thanks for letting me know how you made out…

53. Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

I make this using left over roast.My family knows to expect stew after I cook a roast. Beats the heck out of roast beef sandwiches!!!

54. Alta December 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Easy, good recipe. I did find the tomato taste a little overwhelming. Any suggestions ?

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

I suppose you could reduce the tomatoes – but they do lend to the sauce and thickening. I never recommend anything I haven’t tried myself, and this is the only way I make my stew! So, I can’t make any personal recommendations. If you try anything, let me know – I love to hear about adjustments and successes!

55. vtaborrecipes December 20, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Reblogged this on recipes and All things yummy and commented:
    Looks SO yummy!

56. Anonymous December 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

It’s a blizzard where we live today. We love this stew, so I have it in the crockpot. Whole family loves it. Pray the electricity stays on!!

57. Amanda December 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

I like the snow…. took me a min, but i like it :)

58. kelly January 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

made this tonight, best beef stew I have ever had HANDS DOWN. Thank you!! Very hardy yummmmu

59. Kim January 6, 2013 at 10:52 am #

I’ve made a very similar recipe to this by putting all the ingredients in a dutch oven pot, and baking for 5 hours at 300 degrees. No need to brown the meat first this way. Thx!

60. Judy January 7, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

I made this yesterday and it is wonderful! I don’t love tomatoes so I used a 14oz can of crushed I had in the cabinet and added an extra cup of beef broth to make up for some of the lost liquid. I also took out the bay leaves after 4 hours because I didn’t like how they were making it smell. I love how thick and hearty it turned out, and since I’m only one person with nearly 5 quarts of stew, I’m going to try my first canning ever with this stew! (my parents can so I’ve seen it done and helped a little as a kid, but I’ve never done it myself)

61. Carmen January 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

I’m going to try this out to tomorrow and if its as good as it looks and sounds, then I was hoping to make it as a freezer dish for a friend of mine and her family while she commences cancer treatment. D you happen to know if it freezes well? Thanks!

• movita beaucoup January 10, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Carmen, I haven’t frozen this particular stew, but I’ve frozen almost every other soup and stew I’ve ever made! I really can’t imagine you’d have any trouble freezing this meal – and what a lovely thing to do for a friend in need. Best wishes for your friend…

62. Jodes January 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

I saw this on Pinterest the other day and made it today. DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing your recipe. :-) I’ll make cornbread tomw to go with it.

63. morehe January 15, 2013 at 1:41 am #

Just made this stew (my first time using a crockpot haha) and loved is so so much! Thanks for posting the recipe!

64. Abby January 15, 2013 at 8:26 am #

I’m currently living in China and it can be super hard to find American recipes of which I can find all the ingredients. I could EASILY get everything for this recipe (of course I never really know what kind of beef or what part of the cow I’m getting… dang my poor language skills!). This is definitely the best stew I’ve ever eaten… or made for that matter!!! LOVED IT!!! I added some mushrooms, because really, everything is better with some mushrooms… okay, maybe not everything, but a great many things are made better by mushrooms! ;) Thanks so much for this recipe!

65. Anonymous January 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Tried it and liked it !!

66. Theresa January 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Could you replace the peas with okra?? I can’t wait to try this.

• movita beaucoup January 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

I haven’t tried it with okra, so I can’t give a personal recommendation! I think most veggies do well in stew, but I don’t like to give advice on a recipe adjustment I haven’t tried.

67. Ems97q January 24, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Slightly disappointed. For everything that goes into this stew there isn’t much FLAVOR. It was a waste of food :(

• movita beaucoup January 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Sorry you feel this way. It would seem that other people have enjoyed this stew more than you – and it’s a favourite of mine. Good luck in your quest to find a stew more to your liking. Thanks for stopping by.

68. Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Just made the stew (and had guest over for super)…it was absolutely delicious!!! A hit with everyone…

Cooked it on high for 6hrs and was just perfect…thank you

• movita beaucoup January 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

So glad you liked it! Thanks for stopping by to say so!

69. Brooklyn January 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

A new favorite in Austin Texas!!

70. Anonymous January 31, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

This was a great recipe. My family went nuts over it! Thank you!

71. Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 7:53 am #

Love this recipe! It was so good! I used an arm roast instead of stew meat.

72. Anonymous February 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Made this with herb dumplings….OMG!!!!! It makes my mouth water just thinking about it again.

• movita beaucoup February 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

I adore dumplings – brilliant idea! I might have to throw some in the next time I make this…

73. vicky February 12, 2013 at 12:06 am #

Made this for my whole family tonight. Everyone loved it! It made so much and we still have a good amount of leftovers!

• movita beaucoup February 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

I’m so glad to hear that you liked it! Thanks so much for stopping by to say so…

74. Clary February 14, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Hi I’m thinking about making this, but I have a question. I only have 1 pound of meat and I was wondering if the cooking time would be less than if I use 2 pounds of meat like the recipe said? Thanks.

• movita beaucoup February 14, 2013 at 5:09 am #

I believe the cooking time would be about the same, as you want the meat to cook well, and it also takes a fair amount of time to cook the carrots and potatoes. Hope that helps!

75. Amanda March 6, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

This is cooking at home right now. Stopped by on my lunch break to check on it and it smelled amazing! I will admit I added a splash of red wine that we had lying around, but this is still a great recipe!

• movita beaucoup March 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Amanda: red wine makes everything awesome. Brilliant idea!

76. Anonymous March 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Just got this in the crock pot. Smells yummy already. Browned beef and deglazed with red wine. Love that smell! Can’t wait to eat it!

77. Anonymous May 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

I made this today for dinner. It is by far the best beef stew I’ve had/made yet! It was a little cooler in Buffalo today, so I decided to make one final cold weather dinner, even though it is May. I used 1/4 cup of corn starch instead of the 1/2 cup of flour which made this gluten free for me!

• movita beaucoup May 14, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

This is so nice to hear – and I’m thrilled that you could enjoy a gluten-free version. Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment!

78. Jason June 23, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Would it be bad to leave out the flour even though it is used to thicken the stew? If it is, could i use coconut flour instead?

• movita beaucoup June 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Hi, Jason! The answer depends on your desire for stew rather than soup. Leaving the flour out will just make the concoction less thick! I haven’t tried coconut flour, and never recommend anything I haven’t tried/tested personally. I suspect it would do the trick, as would something like corn starch (which I believe some of the commenters above have tried). Good luck!

79. mary September 19, 2013 at 2:44 am #

Making this for the second time this year! I live in Southern California, and up until yesterday it has been in the low 100′s and high 90′s for weeks. Suddenly, yesterday it was overcast and about 20-25 degrees cooler. So today, I swapped out all my summer clothes for my winter wardrobe, and decided to make stew!! :) It’s the in crockpot now for dinner tomorrow. I know it’s not *that* much work, but I really didn’t feel like chopping up veggies tonight…loving that Trader Joe’s has their “Mirepoix” mix of chopped carrots, celery, and onion–perfect! And their Fingerling Potatoes are the perfect size…don’t even have to chop them. Thanks for the recipe…I can’t wait to eat this stew again!

• movita beaucoup September 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

You are so welcome, Mary. I’m all about finding shortcuts – well done, lady!!

80. Jennie September 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

This stew is on my menu this week. I’m totes excited :)

81. suze September 29, 2013 at 3:11 am #

Just found this recipe on Pinterest and I can’t wait to try it! I’ve been craving beef stew and this looks like the perfect recipe.. It looks delish! Thanks! by the way, for people wanting those bowls, if they are vintage/passed down, they are most likely made by Hull pottery, they are called dripware. Look for them on Ebay. :)

82. Jennie October 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

This recipe is stewlicious, Movita. Squirrel and I loved it and will be making it again and again. Thank you for posting such a delicious recipe. Movita fans, dust off your slow cooker and make this stew.

• movita beaucoup October 2, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Aw, Jennie! Thanks for letting me know that you and Squirrel tried this stew! I’m totally gunna make a batch this weekend… xox

83. Kitty October 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

I made this beef stew tonight for my husband. It was absolutely delicious! I can’t believe what a difference the tomatoes make. My husband told me to “keep the recipe”.

• movita beaucoup October 14, 2013 at 7:49 am #

Wonderful to hear, Kitty! I love a hearty stew – it’s perfect for this time of year. So glad to hear your hubby would like to have it again! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and let me know how you made out…

84. dyspray October 23, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Thank you for sharing. I will be trying this tomorrow.

85. Anonymous November 14, 2013 at 3:12 am #

This looks like a wonderful recipe, but besides that I have to make it just because of the picture. My grandmother had those same bowls and I have not ever seen anymore like them. Will surely bring back wonderful memories of sitting around her big dining table and eating stew and cornbread. Thanks for helping me relive those memories!!

86. artimagica December 5, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Hi! I made this recipe yesterday with some spicy venison sausage I had. It was fantastic. Lots of leftovers for lunch or to freeze for a snowy evening. Yummers! Thanks!

• movita beaucoup December 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

You’re very welcome! A spicy sausage version sounds marvellous!!

87. Jaypeg December 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Tried this today and it was excellent, though next time I am definitely going to do more than half the little potatoes, because a good chunk of them were still very hard by the time I was done.

88. D. Franklin January 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Looks great. Thank you for putting recipe on one page! and without all the other space taking stuff that usually comes with.

89. Sam January 9, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

I’m making this now and I’ve never made stew before. I wish I would’ve known to not overcrowd the pan of meat… It ended up steaming instead of Browning and now I have a gray mess. Anyway to fix this?

• movita beaucoup January 9, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

I’m sure it will turn out just fine! Slow cooking makes everything tasty!

90. Cortney January 28, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

This recipe looks amazing! How many servings would you say it makes?

• Cortney January 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

Never mind- I just found my answer in one of your earlier comments :) Thanks!

91. artimagica February 20, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

This is a fantastic and delicious recipe. I have made it twice now. The first time I used hot,venison sausage. Last night I used hot Italian sausage. Wonderful!

• movita beaucoup February 20, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Thank you so much for stopping by to leave this lovely comment! I’m so glad you liked it…

92. jodes March 23, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

making this again today, i make it once every 3 months or so. love it. today we’ll eat it with white rice like how we ate stew growing up in Hawaii. thank you so much again for sharing this with us. have a lovely Sunday. <3

• movita beaucoup March 25, 2014 at 7:20 am #

This is so nice to hear! Thanks for taking the time to stop by… xox

93. Amanda April 1, 2014 at 10:02 am #

I made this before, it was delicious! I’m wondering if I could make it with mushrooms instead of beef, and if there is a difference in cooking time…?

• movita beaucoup April 1, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Hi Amanda! I really couldn’t say, as I’ve only tested the recipe as written. Even tiny adjustments to ingredients and/or method can have adverse/varied results, which is why I never make personal recommendations without testing. I wish I could be more helpful – thanks for stopping by!

1. Tasty Tuesday: CrockPot Specials | That Next Chapter… - September 11, 2012

[...] slow cooker beef stew [...]

2. Menu Plan Monday – October 8 | Welcome To Parenthood - October 8, 2012

[...] – Beef Stew, [...]

3. Weekly Menu / Freezer Cooking Plan ~ 10/29 - October 29, 2012

[...] Slow Cooker Beef Stew [...]

4. Beef Stew « designbytess - November 18, 2012

[...] ago I learned how to make Italian Stew ((amazing)) and then last month I found this recipe over at movita beaucoup.  She’s another [...]

5. Pinterest Roundup: Comfort Food Straight From the Crockpot | Daily Savings From All You Magazine - January 11, 2013

[...] Slow Cooker Beef Stew Beef stew is classic crockpot fare, but what would a good slow-cooker recipe roundup be without it? I’m not sure what’s better, the way it tastes or the way it makes your home smell after it’s been simmering all day, mmm… [...]

6. Tonight’s dinner « gabandkirby - January 21, 2013

[...] Beef Stew: [...]

7. Meal Plan Monday - 1/21/13 - January 22, 2013

[...] Beef Stew with honey wheat oatmeal rolls [...]

8. Menu Plan Monday – March 11 | Welcome To Parenthood - March 11, 2013

[...] – Breakfast – Crockpot Oatmeal – Dinner – Slow Cooker Beef Stew, biscuits, chocolate pudding dump [...]

9. March Menu | TwentyFourSeven-Mom - March 13, 2013

[...] 22 — Slow Cooker Beef Stew (Recipe here:http://movitabeaucoup.com/2011/11/10/slow-cooker-sunday-beef-stew/) [...]

10. Pinterest finds that I found, tried, and loved | Life Adventures with the Groggs - September 14, 2013

[…] For the pinterest recipe find that I tried, I thought I would share one that would be comforting and delicious for fall.  I am not a cook.  Justin gets about 2 burnt meals a week and we have been married for 5 years!  (No joke, I think I am scared of undercooking things:)  However, this is a recipe I could even make and it tasted good:  http://movitabeaucoup.com/2011/11/10/slow-cooker-sunday-beef-stew/ […]

11. 30 Before 30: #27 -Try out 30 new recipes | Quote the Rabon - October 18, 2013

[…] 8.Beef Stew – 10/25/12: A perfect recipe for a cold, snowy fall day. I was able to prep my veggies the night before (and a good thing too! I’m always running behind) . I even had enough leftovers to take some to a sick co-worker the next day to help her back to health. […]

12. Beef Stew | Bucket List Recipes - December 1, 2013

[…] Movita Beaucoup […]

13. Holiday Food | Pinning Summer - December 28, 2013

[…] right now (as I type) there is a Beef Stew sitting in my crock […]

14. What’s for dinner this week… | themamabeth's Blog - January 27, 2014

[…] Beef Stew […]

15. Secrets to Eating Healthy Post Baby — - February 20, 2014

[…] Leftover pot roast beef is perfect for this.  If you are lacking on the meat just make sure you have a steak in the fridge and you can use that to get some additional protein in there (you’ll just need to chop it into pieces and sauté it on the stovetop before throwing it in the crockpot).  Again, precut all your veggies, combine any spices beforehand.  This is another meal that provides us at least 2 if not 3 dinners so freeze the leftovers for another time.  Recipe here. […]

16. Slow Cooker Beef Stew | The Crafty Collaborative - March 14, 2014

[…] Movita Beaucoup has a great addition for your Irish feast that won’t interfere with your parade plans! Her Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a stick-to-your-bones recipe sure to please the meat and potato lovers in your life. […]

17. Slow Cooker Beef Stew | OneMommysThoughts - March 15, 2014