fancy pants pancakes

fancy pants pancakes | movita beaucoup

Do you love breakfast? If you’ve been here before, you probably know that I’m really into breakfast. Mostly because it’s a meal that can be consumed in bed without judgment. Pheasant under glass? Probably not socially acceptable bed-fare. Pancakes? Totally acceptable. Probably encouraged. I mean, think of all those commercials with grubby children bringing their parents breakfast in bed. Surprise! We made you breakfast with our dirty kid-hands! And we’re going to stand here and watch you eat them. Go ahead… Eat. Them. (That’s just another reason I don’t have children. I don’t want to eat anything they’ve made.)

fancy pants pancakes | movita beaucoup

When visiting the Ocean Family recently, I came across The Martha Cookbook. It’s a collection of recipes from the Sisters of St. Martha. The cookbook was published ages and ages ago, but had some real gems in it. And thought to myself: myself, you could develop some of these recipes into something that just might rock the planet. Not in a god-like way or anything. Just good eats.

The original name of these pancakes was Rich Pancakes. Which I then started calling Rich People Pancakes. But then I thought you’d think there was gold or something in there, so I changed the name to Fancy Pants Pancakes. And just to be clear, you don’t have to be wearing fancy pants when you eat them. In fact, you should be wearing floofy pyjama pants. And a t-shirt with stains on it.

fancy pants pancakes | movita beaucoup

Now I’m not going to tell you that these pancakes are miraculous. I’ll leave that sort of stuff to the Sisters. But they are really, really good. Light and airy, yet filling. I ate some for breakfast, and then wasn’t hungry again until late afternoon. And in my world, that’s an almost-miracle. Pour some maple syrup all over these babies, and you’ll know things are right in the world.

fancy pants pancakes | movita beaucoup

I’d like to suggest that you eat breakfast in bed this weekend. You know the holidays are just around the corner right? You know you’re going to be all stressed out, right? It’s going to be okay. Breathe. And eat pancakes.

Fancy Pants Pancakes

recipe: inspired by a recipe found in The Martha Cookbook (a selection of recipes from the Sisters of St. Martha)

print, make and eat in bed

Yields about 12 pancakes.

• 1  1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1  1/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup margarine, melted and cooled

Begin by sifting the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar together. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly with a whisk. Stir in the milk, and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, and set aside.

Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture a bit at a time, blending until smooth after each addition. Stir in the melted margarine. Fold in the egg whites.

Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Brush pan with some butter or canola oil, and pour 1/4 cup measures of the batter into the skillet, allowing plenty of room for spreading. Cook until the top of each pancake is speckled with bubbles and some bubbles have popped open, and then flip and cook until the underside is lightly browned.

Notes:

Let your melted margarine cool before you add it to your wet ingredients – hot margarine will make the eggs cook in the batter. Bleck.

You want your skillet to be well heated – start pre-heating as you are mixing your batter. I like to keep the heat medium-low, for slow, even cooking. The second side of the pancake will take less time to cook than the first side. Ideally, you only want one flip.

If not serving immediately, keep the pancakes warm by placing a plate on a baking sheet, and warming in a 200°F oven. As the pancakes come out of the skillet, place them on the plate in the oven. I keep my pancakes in there until they are all cooked and then serve immediately.

Warm your plates before serving – it will keep the pancakes from getting chilled when they come out of the skillet/oven.

24 Responses to fancy pants pancakes

1. Tina@flourtrader November 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

Nothing like light and fluffy pancakes! Sometimes the older the recipe the better and this one looks like a treasure. I may even let someone bring me these with grubby hands as long as they weren’t the cooks! Have a great day.

2. Emmalina November 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Even if mykids rubbed bogies on those pancakes I would still scoff them down whilst wearing my flannel Santa stocking pants and a Tshirt I’ve owned for 12 years. Don’t judge me.

• movita beaucoup November 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

This makes me both happy and nauseated.

• Emmalina November 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

I hear that a lot.

3. Savory Simple November 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I love these photos, especially the action shots.

4. Anonymous November 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

what a delightful person you must be!!!
    thank you, sister!!!!

yours in Oregon

5. cardsbymo November 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

I have never made pancakes that didn’t pour out of an Aunt Jemima box before. But these look so good that I am going to try it! Do you think I could use butter instead of margarine?

• movita beaucoup November 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Absolutely! Butter would be amazing!

6. Anonymous November 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Amazing action shots. So much talent.

7. Ann November 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

oh myyyy yum… breakfast is definitely my favorite meal… besides dessert 🙂

8. Isa November 16, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Looks so delicious!!

9. Eggton November 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

I think you just promised us that you’re going to make pheasant under glass at some point. Just so we have OPTIONS, you know, for eating in bed. Also, please ask Emmalina where I can get Santa pants.

• movita beaucoup November 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

EMMALINA! WHERE CAN WE GET SANTA PANTS?

10. latetedelegumes November 17, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Right now my breakfast is going to be an apple… sigh. Wishing I had a couple of those glorious babies with syrup to eat!

11. auntie November 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

movita, I always try to remember to check back the “next day” because I love to read the comments from all the (other) terrific people who read and comment on your blog.
    You have certainly created a great community with your fantastic grub, amazing photos and bestest turn of phrase!!

• movita beaucoup November 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

I must say, I’ve got high calibre fans! I wouldn’t have it any other way.

(You are, of course, one of my most favourite readers…)

12. Julia November 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

I really wish you had told us we don’t need to wear fancy pants to eat these at the beginning of the post, before I ran upstairs and rifled all through my wardrobe to find my pair. Hmph.

Pancakes are my favourite breakfast! And these ones look yum yum yum delicious, all thick and soft and ready for my face. At the moment I am on good-for-you porridge. I know it’s good for me, because it tastes like ass. But I shall reward myself at the weekend with these pancakes. In bed. Without any grubby child hands, either. Hurray!

Look, I’ve written you an essay, I hope you enjoyed it!

• movita beaucoup November 17, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

I must apologize for the mix up. Honestly, I assumed that none of my readers would actually have fancy pants. I imagine that all of you wear grey elastic cuffed pants with white sports socks. How was I to know that you’d go rummaging through your closet for something you probably tucked away back in 1993? Still, I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

I truly enjoyed your essay. And I hope you will enjoy some ass-less pancakes on the weekend. And think of me.

13. Ashley - Baker by Nature November 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

Pour that syrup, girl! Pancakes are the perfect weekend breakfast, although I’d freak if I had stains on my jammies – I’m OCD like that.

14. Vanilla Moment November 20, 2011 at 6:04 am #

That’s really something to wake me up in the morning 🙂

15. Indi November 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

Hi, we nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, check my blog to see what to do 🙂 Indrea

16. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:15 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in November 2011. Happy baking!