slow cooker chicken stew

slow cooker chicken stew

Are you getting stressed out yet? You know… about the holidays? I’m not. I’m refusing. Just like I’m refusing to turn 40 this year. That’s right. I’m refusing. I’ll be sticking at 39, thank you very much. Do I have my Christmas shopping done? Nope. Have I filled the freezer with wonderful treats? Nope, not a one. Have I started decorating the Cat Farm? No. Not a single glittery object has been retrieved from the holiday boxes. Am I worried? No, because I’m refusing to worry.

I’ve been visiting with Pussycat this week. By the time you read this, I’ll be winging my way back to Halifax. I didn’t tell you exactly when I’d be visiting with Pussycat because I was worried you’d rob my house. I mean, I like you ‘n stuff, but I really didn’t want to find out you’d been sleeping in my bed or wearing my underwear or anything. I get that you’d like to be exactly like me, but I’ve gotta draw the line somewhere. I guess that line is underwear.

slow cooker chicken stew

I’ve had a perfectly lovely few days in the Toronto area. And as Pussycat and I trolled bakeries and yogafied ourselves, I was thinking about you. The image of you in my underwear kind of haunted me, but then I was all, who wouldn’t want to be living’ the movita lifestyle? You know, because I’m so cool and stuff. And then thought I might suggest that if you really want to be like movita, you could just get your slow cooker out this weekend. You could make yourself a nice, restorative stew. You could make yourself a stew that will help you to forget that there’s no way you can possibly get even a fraction of the stuff on your to-do list crossed off in the coming weeks. (Not that you’d be worried about that.)

slow cooker chicken stew

This is a lovely stew. I threw some nice veggies in there to make you smart and stuff, chicken to make you jump high (trust me), and tasty broth to make your throat feel good. It warms the belly and and soothes the soul.

Here’s another suggestion: maybe you should get in touch with an old friend this weekend. Trust me, it’ll make you forget all of your problems for a little while…

Slow Cooker Chicken Stew

print, make and soothe your soul

Yields 6-8 servings.

• 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (or breasts), trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 medium sized onions, chopped into large pieces
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 1/2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth, divided
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Place the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and potatoes in the well of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the thyme over the vegetables and then add the chicken. Pour 3 cups of the chicken broth over the chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, stir in the peas and corn (no need to defrost first) and pepper. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth, until no lumps remain. Stir the flour mixture into the stew. Replace the slow cooker cover and cook until thickened (about 15-20 minutes).

20 Responses to slow cooker chicken stew

1. emmalina73 December 2, 2011 at 10:30 am #

This is so weird because I was thinking about chicken stew in bed last night (everyone does that right?) and thinking I really want to make a slow cooker stew with chicken thighs because they are so much cheaper and…voila! You read my hungry mind. I knew I could rely on you. Thanks for the recipe and the holiday reassurance, I’m glad it’s not just me who hasn’t started yet!

P.S. I’m kind of disappointed about the underwear though, I had dibs on Tuesday pants. Don’t judge me, I’m still using my maternity undies, anything is better than that.

2. Ann December 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

this looks heavenlyyyy! I think it may make a good pot pie filling, too! 🙂

3. Eggton December 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

Oh my gosh you have SNOW falling across your page. Magical. Also problematic, because now I am mesmerized. And beginning to think you are trying to distract me from fabricating a winning gingerbread house. You’re suspect, movita. Suspect.

4. Just A Smidgen December 3, 2011 at 1:47 am #

Movita, you gave me a good laugh tonight! And a great recipe.. perfect for this winter!

5. EveryBookandCranny December 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Looks fabulous!

Chicken soups, chicken stews, chicken n’ dumplings, chicken pie – all of those are mainstays of my winter eating.

6. Alli December 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

This is exactly what I have been looking for!!! Thanks! I am also looking forward to the peppermint pattie recipe! 🙂

7. leaf (the indolent cook) December 5, 2011 at 9:14 am #

I used to have a slow cooker. This post of yours makes me want one again…

8. emmalina73 December 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

I made this yesterday, the stew alone was good but I used it as a filling for pot pies, perfect for a Sunday evening!

9. Mary Ann Stewart February 21, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Just found this recipe on Pinterest and am going to give it a whirl today – not Sunday, but what the heck. Thanks, movita. Stay happy.

10. Anonymous August 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

This might be a silly question……but…..do you bake the chicken ahead of time, or put it into the slow cooker raw?

• movita beaucoup August 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Not a silly question at all! Though I promise I would have mentioned cooking it beforehand if necessary! So, throw the chicken in raw – it’ll be cooking for 6-8 hours, which will be plenty of time to cook it through.

11. Renee September 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

I chose this recipe off Pinterest because it was very appealing to my eye. I chopped all the vegis and and garlic, added the chicken and followed the directions. It smelled heavenly after about 4 hours. After adding the final touch, I let it rest for a while and “walla” it was in my bowl. The first taste was disappointing. Now I know if a recipe does not have salt or seasonings to add my own. I also like a thicker gravy for stew. It was more like a soup consistency.

However, I added a few seasonings before I put it in the fridge. Today it was great! I will definitely do this again, but with salt and seasonings and 3/4 cup flour added to the last step to make it thicker.

Thanks so much for a great recipe!

• movita beaucoup September 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

Renee, you are most welcome. I generally cook my stew for the full 8 hours in my crock pot, which may make mine a little thicker without adjusting the flour (as the liquid cooks off a bit). I also add the flour a good 20 minutes before serving (with the heat still on) and that thickens it up nicely – though you may have done the same! So much about flavour depends on the components in the stew – the quality of chicken, the veggies, the broth – sometimes I just seem to get better tasting veggies at the store, or one brand of broth tastes better than another. Thus the stew always tastes a little different!

I always think soups and stews are better the second day. I’m so glad that you adjusted the stew to your tastes, as preferences are so individual. Thanks for stopping by to let me know how you made out…

12. Danielle October 31, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Hi! What size crock pot are you using for this?

• movita beaucoup October 31, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Ours is huge – probably 6 quarts!

13. Blair January 27, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Hi! I’m the editor of a slow cooker recipe site, AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com. I’d love to talk with about linking to recipes like this one on our site, which will drive traffic back to your blog. Please contact me via our customer service (http://www.allfreeslowcookerrecipes.com/index.php/hct/contact_us_page) if you’re interested! Thanks! Blair

14. movita beaucoup October 29, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in December 2011. Happy cooking!

1. Snow Day #47,892 « The Plucky Knitter - February 1, 2014

[…] shelved and there is a run on the beer and wine at the grocery store. I feel like a pot of this or this or this may be in order today… with a batch of these for good […]

2. Weekly Wrap-Up: Double digit runs! | A Little More Each Day - August 30, 2014

[…] not a fan, so I’ll be having ratatouille instead), pork loin with kale and tomatoes, and slow cooker chicken stew. My back pocket recipe, for when I’ve forgotten to thaw something, is going to be our […]

3. Chicken Pot Pie Soup – Three Plates Full - March 17, 2016

[…] temperatures drop again. This is a wonderful recipe I found through Pinterest on a food blog called Movita Beaucoup. I only made a couple of small changes to the original, because it was just about perfect for me as […]