haddy’s shrimp pasta

I’ve noticed that every blogger who cares about food in the least is presenting you with wonderful holiday treats these days. I’ve spent part of the morning reading about cookies, cakes, loaves, and candies. Beautiful photos of sparkly bits and bobs. Tales of holidays past. So, I present to you: shrimp pasta. Festive, right? Well, if you don’t like it, you can bugger off. It’s got red and green in it for cripes sake, what more do you want?

2.0 doesn’t like shrimp. I know. It’s a wonder we’ve managed to stay together as long as we have, because I love shrimp. I’d throw myself in front of a car for it. Now, there’s a part of me that questions 2.0’s apparent distain for this perfect little crustacean. For a long time, he said he hated lobster. Fine by me – more for my belly. But guess who likes lobster now? Very inconvenient. Now I have to protect my lobster. Eat it with my arms warding off potential theft. Swatting at the air and growling when approached.

My sister, Haddy, gave me this recipe years ago. I make it when 2.0 is travelling for work. Mostly because he says he doesn’t like shrimp. But also so I can eat it all by myself. The original recipe had snap peas in it, but I prefer the addition of edamame. I also swapped in some balsamic vinegar. Because I like balsamic vinegar. It’s festive. Peanut butter gives the dish a smooth vibe, and the shrimp are all sweet and tasty like when you chomp into them.

When you make this for someone, they will love you extra. They will say, “thank you for making me this wonderful holiday treat. It is way better than a pretty sugar cookie. And I don’t even like stuff with crushed candy canes on top. No, I like this pasta way better.”

It could happen.

Haddy’s Shrimp Pasta – inspired by Haddy Beaucoup (movita’s sister), original source unknown – print and make

Yields 4-6 servings.

• 12 oz. whole wheat linguine (I use one 375 gram package)
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soya sauce
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 lb. cooked, deveined shrimp (if using frozen, defrost first)
  • 1 large red pepper cut into thin strips about 1/4-1/2 inch wide x 2 inches long
  • 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame, defrosted

Cook the pasta according to package instructions, drain and then cover and set aside.

In a large skillet, over medium-low heat, cook the green onion, chicken broth, sesame oil, peanut butter, soya sauce, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes until thickened slightly (about 5 minutes). Add in the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is heated through (about 2-3 minutes).

Toss the cooked linguine, red pepper, edamame and sauce together and serve.

18 Responses to haddy’s shrimp pasta

1. Karen December 5, 2011 at 9:44 am #

The bright red and green does look like a Christmas pasta dish. I bet it was good.

2. Sammy Namss December 5, 2011 at 9:46 am #

OooOooo… This looks good. Must try. Lucky for me, my 2.0 is allergic to Shrimp. 🙂

3. Just A Smidgen December 5, 2011 at 10:35 am #

And I do like this pasta way better! Beautiful photos and I think I have a sugar hang-over anyway… bring on the pasta!

4. DLCS Management December 5, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Looks supertatsy!

5. kydel December 5, 2011 at 11:07 am #

I might be being completely thick here (more than likely) but Shrimp = Prawns right? I kinda like prawns. We have a love hate relationship. Sometimes they are great. Other times I feed them all to Terry. But this looks tasty! And I like the change from Christmas theme. You’re brave to be different Beaucoup!

• movita beaucoup December 6, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Yes, shrimp = prawns.
      And, yes, I am terribly brave.

6. IamSimplyTia December 5, 2011 at 11:09 am #

This looks and sounds marvelous!!!!

7. Ann December 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Sounds like peanut butter is a surprising but amazing ingredient in this recipe! Looks so tasty, movita 🙂 props

8. Cayla December 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

looks tasty… and healthy!

9. Natashia@foodonpaper December 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

Oh, if only my other half didn’t like shrimps (we call them prawns down under). Every time I cook pasta with prawns I make enough for lunch-leftovers, but he eats that too…

10. Eggton December 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

These photos make me love you a little extra, too. I have also been dealing with a 2.0-like shrimp aversion for years so I never cook them which IS BONKERS. We went to an all-you-can-eat brunch in Tennessee recently and everyone looked at me like “who is that crazy girl with the eight-inch tall pile of shrimp on her plate?” But I got through it because all-you-can-eat brunches tend to have a $7 all-you-can-drink mimosa add-on.

• movita beaucoup December 6, 2011 at 10:07 am #

I think I know what you’re saying: you want me to move to Tennessee.

I’m on it.

11. pencilkitchen December 6, 2011 at 12:46 am #

The snow bits is following my cursor!!! (just pointing it out) I love this! I’ll take it! it’s got red and green! Just put some bells and nobody will complain :p

• movita beaucoup December 6, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I hadn’t noticed the snow/cursor thing! Man oh man. It just keeps getting better!

Also, I am going to buy some tiny bells for my shrimp this week…

12. emmalina73 December 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Like the way you are setting the agenda here, not letting the season push you around. You are all like “Expecting gingerbread? Hells no! Here’s some pasta with some creatures that basically eat poo for a living!”

In your face Santa, and all your little elves too.

13. Anonymous December 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

I haven’t had this in at least a decade. I think I got it from a nice woman named Patricia, who may have got it from the Looney Spoons cookbook. Am totally making it again! x

14. emma schultz December 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

Who are all these fools who don’t love shrimps?! Fools don’t mess, y’all don’ even know!

I like shrimps:)

15. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:35 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in December 2011. Happy baking!