self-frosting chocolate cupcakes

self-frosting chocolate cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Alright, I need you to to be realistic. When I say self-frosting cupcakes, I need you to understand that we’re not talking about a buttercream frosting here. That would be redonkulous. Honestly, how is a cupcake going to cream the butter and pipe icing onto itself? Use your heads. But these cupcakes do have a lovely little topping of chocolate chips and marshmallows which eliminate the need for frosting. It makes the little buggers easier to pack in your lunch kit. And it makes them easier to freeze.

self-frosting chocolate cupcakes | movita beaucoup

These are not the prettiest cupcakes on earth. Nope. But sometimes things that are not traditionally pretty or functioning as intended are still totally awesome. For example, I might be a little sick. This is hard to admit because I never, ever get sick. It’s my claim to fame. And frankly, when I see someone suffering with a cold or the flu, I don’t generally feel any sympathy for them. I mean, sure, I’ll say, “oh you poor thing, you poor, poor thing,” and fake a look of empathy, but really I’m thinking: you are weak. You are pathetic and weak. But yesterday, things spiralled out of control at work. My throat was on fire. I could hardly swallow. It made yelling at my students much less enjoyable. And then a co-worker told me that I sounded like a dude. That is not, in my mind, a compliment.

self-frosting chocolate cupcakes | movita beaucoup

And this morning, when I woke up, things were bad. I could hardly speak at all. I tried singing All By Myself really loud (to get my vocal chords warmed up), but only squeaks came out. When I tried to speak to a salesperson at a bakery downtown, I could barely utter the words, “I want to marry those cookies.” And I’m not going to lie to you: things are happening with my face and hair today that aren’t good.

self-frosting chocolate cupcakes | movita beaucoup

So sure, these cupcakes might not be as pretty as the other cupcakes. And sure, they might be a little rough around the edges. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t perfectly lovely. The marshmallow gets all toasted and gooey on top. The chocolate chips get sort of melty and sink into the cupcake. And the cupcake itself is chocolatey, soft and oh, so tasty.

And just because someone arrives at work looking like crud and speaking with a dude voice doesn’t mean she isn’t still basically awesome. And, truth be told, I don’t think I’m actually sick. Because I am not weak and pathetic. I think this is stress. Important people get stress. Unimportant people get the flu.

Right?

self-frosting chocolate cupcakes | movita beaucoup

(Sniff.)

Self-Frosting Chocolate Cupcakes

recipe: adapted from Canadian Living’s Everyday Cookbook Special (1984)

print and bake

• pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup sour cream

Line 24 muffin wells with paper liners. Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).

In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients (marshmallows, chocolate chips and lightly beaten egg) and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter (about 3 minutes). Then beat in the sugar (about 3 minutes). Then beat in the egg (about 1 minute).

In a small bowl, stir the baking soda into the sour cream and set aside.

On low speed, mix 1/3 of the sifted flour mixture into the butter mixture (until just combined). Add 1/2 of the sour cream mixture and mix until just combined. Then add half of the remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Mix in all of the remaining sour cream mixture, and then the remaining flour mixture, mixing each addition until just combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl between additions.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling no more than 3/4 full. Spoon topping onto each cupcake.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. (The topping will be very sticky until the cupcakes cool).

25 Responses to self-frosting chocolate cupcakes

1. Mama's Gotta Bake December 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Yum! Chocolate & marshmallows! Doesn’t get any better.

2. ediblesubstance December 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Looks lovely!

3. IamSimplyTia December 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

This cupcakes sound very tasty and the pics are so inviting. Will try this very soon!

4. emmalina73 December 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

You’ve probably got an ulcer. Or a stress ulcer. Or PLAGUE. No ordinary flu for Movita. OK, it might kill you but at least you’re different and that is all that really matters.

Surface imperfections but gooey on the inside? I’m on it.

5. cardsbymo December 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

This post made me laugh out loud! I too rarely get sick (although I had a cold for the first time in two years over Thanksgiving) and I secretly pat myself on the back for having such an awesome immune system. I hope you feel “less stressed” soon.

6. fiercelyfresh December 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

These look amazing! I’m more of a cupcake (rather than frosting) girl myself, so I can’t wait to make these.

7. Beth December 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I just found your blog and find your writing style totally hilarious. The cupcakes look great too, but you made me laugh smack in the middle of an annoying work day and that was much appreciated. But seriously, could you get on the self-frosting buttercream cupcakes? because I think that would be an invention well worth patenting. 🙂

8. Sydney Jones December 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

Hey, never being sick is my claim to fame, you can’t steal my thunder Movita. I am sniffy and sick too. I hope you feel better soon. I love this idea of self frosting cupcakes 🙂

Load up on the vitamin C, hot lemon tea straight up!

9. Ann December 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

“it made yelling at my students much less enjoyable.” Hahaha!!

Also, these cupcakes are bomb-looking. I don’t know what you mean about them not being pretty, b/c they look pretty darn gorgeous to me! i love chocolate chunk desserts 🙂

10. Ann December 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Also, I really hope you get better soon!!! It’s definitely no fun feeling like that. I am sick right now as well, and drinking a lot of asian remedy teas, crossing my fingers.

11. Broma bakery December 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

Oh man, these look pretty irresistible. Bookmarking this recipe now!

12. glutenfreezen December 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

What? Self frosting cupcakes…you’re a genius! And I happen to think they are gorgeous!

13. Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen December 11, 2011 at 9:18 am #

That’s definitely stress!! Because you don’t suck like those people who get flu! 🙂 hope you get well soon! and whoever said these cupcakes are ugly, they suck! just saying!

14. emma schultz December 11, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

Aw man, I am the weakest seed out there. If not for modern medicine I’d be a goner like twelve times over. Lame.

&I’m confused, cause I think these look quite pretty. That’s just the voice of the lame talking though, isn’t it.

15. movita beaucoup December 13, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Dear friends,

1. I am still sick. How is this possible?
    2. I’m glad you think the cupcakes aren’t terribly ugly.
    3. I’m glad that when I’m sick I can read your comments and almost feel like I might actually live to make another batch of these not-so-ugly treats.

Sincerely,
    movita beaucoup

16. fattydumpling December 16, 2011 at 10:30 am #

You ARE awesome, man. HARHARHAR, see what I did there?

17. AUNTIE JOJO December 17, 2011 at 12:33 am #

OH MY GOD YOUR ME!!! I so get the hair when I’m sick or feeling low my hair will NOT cooperate. What?

• movita beaucoup December 17, 2011 at 7:10 am #

That’s because when you’re sick, you can’t defend yourself from rats. That’s just science.

18. AUNTIE JOJO December 17, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Oh and I’m so making these tomorrow

19. AUNTIE JOJO December 17, 2011 at 12:34 am #

PSS I posted and commented you on Pioneer Women Cooks

• movita beaucoup December 17, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Thanks, Auntie JoJo! You’re the best. Even if you do get rat head when you’re sick…

20. M. G. Frederic January 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

lol…you’re hilarious…and these look great 🙂

21. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) January 25, 2012 at 11:21 am #

*foodgasm

22. Cupcake Fanatic October 7, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Thank you for making me laugh! Someone once told me…ugly still tastes good. Words to live by lol

23. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:35 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in December 2011. Happy baking!