countdown to ginger 2011

Oh, hey. I just wanted to remind you that the deadline to enter Ginger 2011 (probably one of the most important competitive events on the planet) is next Monday. I mean, don’t freak out or anything, just think about getting started. Maybe take a day off work or something.

Now, because I’m basically a ginger genius, I’m going to offer you a little advice. For example, if you’re not sure how to get started on your house, consider picking a theme. Perhaps a colour scheme, or maybe a motif that can be carried throughout the design (such as Crack Chic or Abandoned Shanty). You can use a kit if you like, or use the recipe I use to bake your ginger house from scratch. Be sure to liberally flour your surface and rolling pin when rolling out your dough – like, mega flour. The recipe yields enough for a good-sized house. Also, baking from scratch gives you lots of opportunity to develop super-awesome house templates which you could later sell for millions of dollars on the interweb.

If you want to enter, you’ve gotta:

1. Create a super-awesome gingerbread house. It could even be a condo. I don’t like rules, so as long as it is a building zoned residential, agricultural and/or commercial, I’m happy. Slap up some sort of building, people.
  2. Send movita a picture (two maximum) of your super-awesome gingerbread house by Monday, December 19th @ midnight. In your time zone. Cripes, stop freaking out. Also, if you could downsize your photos to around 500k or less, that would be awesome. Please don’t crash my email.
  3. Watch for a picture of your super-awesome gingerbread house to appear on movita beaucoup. I figure only about four six of you will enter, so your odds of making it to the site are pretty darn good.
  4. Watch people vote for your super-awesome gingerbread house. The voting will take place Tuesday, December 20 to Thursday, December 22. Because competing is festive! The winner will be announced on Friday, December 23rd.
  5. Win the respect and admiration of many. And, wait for it… a prize.

The prize has been sponsored by yours truly – because ballet teachers are rich, I say, rich! The winner will receive: In the Sweet Kitchen (paperback) and The Gingerbread Architect (hardcover).

Oh, your photos shouldn’t include you/your kids/your pets. We just wanna see your ginger creation, and have very little interest in your Holly Hobbie themed holiday vest. Be sure to send your name, email and any other information you might want included with your entry. That’s right – I’ll post some lame-ass story you tell me about your super-awesome sugar shack on the interweb.

If you’d like some additional information on Ginger 2011, click here. And if you’d like to see what happened last year, click here and scroll.

Now stop staring at your computer and get your ginger on.

16 Responses to countdown to ginger 2011

1. Sydney Jones December 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Oh, this is getting serious! I am really excited about this 🙂 hehe!! I hope you are feeling better, it’s important that you are 100% when creating your gingerbread house.

• movita beaucoup December 13, 2011 at 10:58 am #

I think your entry is going to be a serious contender. As in: I’m really scared.

2. emma schultz December 12, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

I am intrigued. I am interested. I am not intimidated. But I don’t know at this time if I’ll be able to enter.

I’m defending my thesis on Thursday, and I would say that despite the apparent merits of ginger 2011, I for some reason feel that thesis defending takes precedence. Backwards, I know. Confusing, I know.

If I can get some shwanky goodies this week, I’ll consider it my weekend, potentially-successful-defense, reward to make a gingerbread house. If not, I might cry a sad tune and wish I was a ginger4lyfe.

• movita beaucoup December 13, 2011 at 11:00 am #

1. Defend that thesis like mad! Best wishes – I’m sure you’ll be spectacular!
      2. Everybody knows that making gingerbread houses are to be built post-defense. Everybody. It is the STANDARD reward for finishing big edumicational things.

3. Ann December 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

I hope that this baking/constructing activity will be a Saturday in-house date for the BF and me. 🙂 Thanks for the generous prizes too! This was such a great idea!

• movita beaucoup December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am #

I’m mega excited to receive your entry in my inbox. MEGA!

4. Natashia@foodonpaper December 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

Oh this is a great idea! I would love to enter but I’m struggling to find the time to make gingerbread cookies which I plan to give out as presents! Eeeek 12 days til Christmas… oh wow, I just realised it’s 12 days til Christmas. Should sing that song.. 🙂

• movita beaucoup December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am #

I’m feeling the same way – I’m way behind on things. BUT, I will construct my house because my fans are depending on me. I’m very important.

5. Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen December 13, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Cant even make gingerbread man… won’t make their house… Can’t wait to see yours though! please take lots of pictures!!!!

• movita beaucoup December 13, 2011 at 11:02 am #

You’re going to be wowed by some of the entries. WOWED, I say!

6. The Neighbour December 14, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Whooooo Hooooo – countdown is on – here’s hoping I don’t break the darn thing before exquisite photos are taken!!

• movita beaucoup December 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

I can’t wait to see your entry. If your gingerbread skillz are anything like your pumpkin talents, we’re in big trouble…

• The Neighbour December 15, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Oh stop, now I’m blushing….thanks for the compliment 😉

7. Sherrie December 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Oooh, I don’t know if I’m going to make the deadline! I will try, though. I have a gorgeous idea…

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2011 at 8:53 am #

Do it! Do it! Lock yourself in a bedroom if you have to…

8. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 12:19 pm #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in December 2011. Thanks for stopping by!