chocolate cake cookies

Guess who’s only just starting to feel less sick? Guess who hasn’t finished her shopping, baking, and wrapping? Guess who doesn’t have a Christmas tree yet? Hasn’t constructed her gingerbread house? Guess who’s freaking out?

I haven’t cancelled a single class at work, which has been quite a feat, but everything else has been put on hold. I guess this is what happens when you don’t get sick for, like, eighteen years. A super-virus will come for you. It will take your sick to the next level. It will take your voice. It will take any colour you had in your cheeks and poof your glands in ways you never thought possible. It will make your hair look like rats have been sucking on it. It. Will. Own. You.

On the plus side, I’m learning to appreciate the small things in life. Like breathing though both nostrils. And I haven’t lost my appetite. That’s my worst case scenerio. And because I’m not feeling sick in my tummy, and because you can’t hear my disturbing voice, I will tell you a little about these cookies.

These cookies are like portable cakes. Sure, cupcakes do that too, but cupcakes are tall and won’t fit into your jacket pocket. These cookies are big and soft. And they are caky. Big, soft and caky. Oh, and chocolatey. These cookies might – might – cure illness. But I haven’t tested that theory yet, so don’t start your article for The New England Journal of Medicine yet. If I were a kid, I’d want one of these in my lunchbox. I’d be less likely to commit crimes as an adult. And I certainly wouldn’t rob my parents for drug money. I’m kidding. They’ll still rob you.

Today I’m going to make up for some lost time. I will shop. I will make the best shortbread bars ever – they have white chocolate and toasted coconut in them, and yes, I will give you the recipe. I will make sugar cookies. I will start decorating my gingerbread house. I will overcome.

Watch for me on the news. I’m basically going to rock the time-space continuum and go ape-sh*t on the holidays. Word.

Chocolate Cake Cookies

recipe: inspired by Jackie Huskins and Charlene Freeman

print and bake

Yields approximately 30 cookies.

For the cookies:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt. Set aside.

Using a stand mixer and a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). If using a hand mixer, this may take just a couple of minutes more. Beat in the egg yolks, until well combined.

Combine the milk and vanilla in a bowl or glass measuring cup (I find using a glass measuring cup makes pouring easy and allows me to divide my additions evenly). Set aside.

Reduce mixer speed to low, and add in about 1/3 of the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Add half of milk-vanilla mixture, mixing until combined. Then add half of the remaining flour mixture, and then the remainder of milk mixture, mixing well after each addition. Finally, add the last of the flour mixture, mixing until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Use an ice cream scoop (mine holds about 1.5 tablespoons) to drop dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches between each mound (they spread a lot). Top each mound with a sprinkling of pecans, pressing them in slightly with your fingertips.

Bake for about 12 minutes, until slightly firm (they should spring back to the touch). Let cool completely on racks.

16 Responses to chocolate cake cookies

1. glutenfreezen December 15, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Sometimes…seriously, I think we’re soul sisters. Weird, I know and even somewhat freaky and stalker “esk”. I too have been ill, am so far behind that it’s keeping me awake at night, and also plan to conquer the Christmas world today. Wish I had some of your chocolate cake cookies to hide in my pocket to sustain me!

Feel better soon! ~April

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Hope you’re feeling better – I feel like I’ve rounded the icky corner today. And, I kicked Christmas ass yesterday. And then, we it was back on its feet today? I kicked its ass again. Festive!!

2. Eunice December 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

Did you say chocolate cake and cookies in the same sentence? I think I must have been transported to some serious foodie love harem. Sighs…one more delicious item to add to the Christmas cookie list.

That aside, I’m glad you are on the mend and ready to kick some galactic butt. Just give it a few grande battements and you should be totally ready to go 🙂

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

You are my first commenter to use ballet terminology. Like, ever. That means you are a genius. And you should eat some chocolate to celebrate…

3. Savory Simple December 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

these look dynamite!

4. Ann December 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

I LOVE cake cookies! i discovered this on accident when I had leftover batter, no more cake pans, but i did have a cookie sheet… 🙂 these look amazing!

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Right? I mean cake? In cookie form? Awesome!

5. frugalfeeding December 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Oh wow, Movita. You’ve done it again, they look incredible!

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Thank you, sir. You are the wind beneath my wings.

6. Chocolate Dessert Recipes December 16, 2011 at 4:22 am #

Really it is a nice blog, I would like to tell you that you have given me much knowledge about it. Thanks for everything.

7. fattydumpling December 16, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Woah. I want to see your rat-hair.

Goodness gracious, I didn’t recognize your website! So pretty (not that your old one’s ugly)! So then, I went onto your old website and remembered it—and then watched that “murray 4 mayor” video. Ack, that’s funny. I got a bigger kick when I recognized my city—you’re in Nova Scotia, but it’s stilll a giddy feeling when you meet someone over the internet from your parts.

Anyways, HI and GREAT COOKIE CAKES!

• movita beaucoup December 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

No. You do not want to see my rat hair. Too many people have suffered this week already.

I’m glad you like this here blog’s new look. I do it all for you, you know. All for you.

xox

8. Julia December 20, 2011 at 8:43 am #

I have been ill too! It was rubbish. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. These chocolate cake cookies look and sound like exactly what you need! I wouldn’t mind a few either.

9. Eggton December 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

I made these cookies last night and took them to a party and people loved them!

• movita beaucoup December 9, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

WOOT!! I think I need to make a batch asap…

10. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 12:19 pm #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in December 2011. Thanks for stopping by!