olive oil and fleur de sel crispie treats

movita's crispie treats

The inspiration for these little crispie treats came from three people: Pussycat, Carol, and 2.0. When I was visiting Pussycat last month, she described her hardcore belief that swapping out the butter for olive oil and fleur de del in this recipe was very bourgeoisie. (You could probably leave the couch for a minute to look that up in a dictionary.)

movita's olive oil & fleur de sel crispie treats

Pussycat said that when she made a version of these in NYC it rocked her world or changed her life, or something. Then a colleague, Carol, gave me some amazing olive oil that was begging to be tested in a few recipes, so that’s what I’ve been doing this week. And since 2.0 refuses to say “fleur de sel,” and yells, “SALT,” every time I say it, I plan to make as many things as possible in the coming months with fleur de sel.

olive oil & fleur de sel crispie treats

Now, I’m not going to mislead you here. You aren’t going to make these treats and find that they are completely and totally different than the cripsie treats you’ve been eating for years. I didn’t throw fairy dust in there. But I am confident that you will like them. Swapping the butter for olive oil gives a subtle change to the flavour, and the addition of fleur de sel cuts the sweetness a little. Just a tiny, tiny bit. You’re going to add some into the melted marshmallows, and then you’ll sprinkle some on top at the end. That way you’ll get in on some of that salty-sweet action that’s all the rage nowadays. That’s almost a reason to put on real pants and walk away from TLC for a few hours.

Also, I wanted to tell you about the olive oil I used in this recipe. I got it from my oil pusher, Carol. She’s a ballet teacher, and pretty damn funny if you ask me. Anyhoo, she and her husband import olive oil here in Halifax. And this olive oil is the bomb. It’s from Tunisia, and it’s all light and tasty like. Apparently, it’s cold pressed, which means it has more nutrients. That’s probably why I’ve been feeling extra smart these days. It might even explain my new found font fanaticism. Also, you should know that Carol didn’t pay me to say that. Not the font fanaticism thing, the part about how the olive oil is awesome. I just figured that you might want a lead on some tasty stuff. Click here to visit Carol’s website – and you can find Carol’s husband at the Halifax Seaport Farmer’s Market most weekends. Check ’em out!

olive oil

Olive Oil & Fleur de Sel Crispie Treats

recipe: inspired by Bobbie Marchand, adapted from The Original Treats (Kellogg’s Rice Krispies)

print, make and eat

Yields one 9 x 13 baking dish full of tasty treats.

• 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 package (10 oz. or about 40 marshmallows) regular marshmallows or 4 cups of mini marshmallows
  • heaping 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel, divided
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Grease a 9×13 baking dish and a spatula.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Stir in the marshmallows and continue stirring until completely melted and smooth. Don’t be tempted to raise the heat under your pot – slow and steady wins the race (and you don’t want to fry those lovely marshmallows).

Remove the pot from the heat and stir in a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of the fleur de sel and the cereal. Once combined, quickly spread into your prepared pan. Use the greased spatula to spread the crispie treats evenly into the pan, and press firmly down. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of fleur de sel (or more, to taste) over top of the treats.

Let cool, and cut into squares.

48 Responses to olive oil and fleur de sel crispie treats

1. renee January 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Look at you, making rice krispie cake all fancy pants. Love! You’re hilarious, by the way. First time reading your blog, now I’m going to scour the archives for more fun stuff. Cheers! Renee

• movita beaucoup January 2, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Dear Renee, you will find, as you cruise through this blog, that I have absolutely no standards when it comes to anything. Enjoy.

(Glad to have you here!)

2. frugalfeeding January 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

They are so pretty! I love the mass produced version of these, so I’d probably kill to eat one of these – I shall have to attempt. Loving the blog as ever, though I had been kicked off your following list- very odd indeed :(. Oh well, I’m now following again.

• movita beaucoup January 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Wow. You can get kicked off a follow list? What did you do to wordpress? Glad to have you back friend – I’ve enjoyed your blog so much in 2011, and can’t wait to follow along with you in this new year!

• frugalfeeding January 2, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I have no idea, but one minute I was following you, the next I wasn’t. The first part of that sentence just sounded creepy… Anyway, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my blogging – I’m looking forward to see what else you come up with too :D.

3. Melissa January 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Hi there, Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and to let you know we’ve added you to our Member Directory. Welcome aboard! Umm… I think this is kind of a cool idea – I might have to try them. And as a graphic designer who has an obsession with fonts and who works from home in yoga pants, I think I’m glad I found this blog 😉

• movita beaucoup January 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Dear Melissa,

I wear yoga pants to work every day. Obviously, we are MFEO (made for each other). Thanks for stopping by – think of me when you are fonting stuff tomorrow…

xox movita

4. Ann January 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

o dang, what an interesting twist on a classic treat. i love sweet/salty together 🙂

5. emmalina73 January 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Ah Movita, reading this recipe with it’s fancy ingredients all frenched up I realised I was quite right to ask The Queen to make you an honorary British person. The ability to take an idea, tweak it, then reintroduce it to the world while taking full credit is a very British trait. As is sitting around eating goodies in elasticated waists. In fact we invented that.

The Queen says S’up by the way. And Yo.

• movita beaucoup January 2, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

The Queen called me this evening. I guess she’s like the British welcome wagon or something. Anyhoo, turns out she wears yoga pants most days, and she’s really excited about Rob Schneider’s new show. (That part was very upsetting.) So, thanks for helping me become British. I really appreciate your support!

• emmalina73 January 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Don’t be too flattered she totally drunk dials. And who is Rob Schneider? I require an explanation that assumes I’m Amish and includes only small words with no reference to contemporary culture.

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Where to begin? Rob Schneider was on Saturday Night Live. He is wee, and I believe he had a salivary gland removed (no lie). He has performed in top notch films such as Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo and Grown Ups. You might not remember these movies. Not many people do. They did not win any awards. Currently, I am considering legal action against Mr. Schneider, as 2.0 and I somehow ended up watching Grown Ups after discovering a copy at the library. With all of the famous comedians in it, we figured it had to be good. It was the WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME. I am seeking compensation for just over two hours of life lost, and for mental anguish.

6. Lynne Knowlton January 3, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Ohhh how you make me laugh out loud. I got kicked off your follow list too. But I went searching for you …and alas…you were there…kicking cereal squares in the ass with fleur de sel…IMPRESSIVE! When we lived in Paris ( that sounded all snobby-ish, but I swear I am not .hahaha) I loved how they put their fleur de sel in a salt bowl and pinch it to sprinkle salt on their din din and stuff. FINGERS IN SALT ! Doesn’t that sound fun? In the sparkly stuff. YUM !
    Thanks for the laugh this am…you are a complete and total hoot ! Lynne xx

• movita beaucoup January 3, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Dear Lynne,

If I had lived in Paris I would never, ever stop bragging about it. NEVER. And I would eat fleur de sel all day.

xox movita

• Lynne Knowlton January 3, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Imagine how much fun we would have in Paris?! Dipping in all the fleur de sel every*single*day? BLISS. Parisian bliss. Well…then we would need to wash it down with some french wine. Just sayin’. Road trip !!!?!! haha

7. movita beaucoup January 3, 2012 at 10:32 am #

But, but… what? I can’t believe that I’m now so famous that wordpress is actually banning people from following me. Fight the power, people!

8. peasepudding January 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I like your fancy writing, I’ve been thinking about doing it for ages but a bit lazy to do it. I tried using the Ipad app I have but it’s not as fancy as yours, what do you use? Love the crispies.

• movita beaucoup January 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

I just fiddle around with picnik. It ain’t fancy, but I guess when you wear stretchy pants to work, it’s tough to complain. I mean, I’ve set the bar pretty low…

9. Sherrie January 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Love the fancy-pants job you did on the picture! It looks great. (The circly thing makes it especially awesome.) I’m off to watch some Jessica Fletcher now. Good night!

• movita beaucoup January 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Oh, Sherrie. Still with Jessica? Are you watching the seasons in order? My, oh my.

10. Savory Simple January 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

I loooooove using olive oil in sweet dishes. I think I’m in love.

• movita beaucoup January 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

I love olive oil almost as much as I love your blog. No lie.

11. mbnilsson January 4, 2012 at 10:37 am #

I found your blog through a FB post by Savory Simple. I love this idea. I was a rice krispies treat addict when I was pregnant with my first. This recipe has inspired me to rekindle my love with the treats, as well as fleur de sel. I’ve been without both for too long. Now I just have to hunt for rice krispies in Sweden.

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Well this is just another reason to love my friend over at Savory Simple!

Have you considered leaving Sweden? I mean… no Rice Krispies?

12. ringfingertanline January 4, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Mmmmm I love desserts with fleur de sel in them. That’s the same thing I used in my salted caramel. It makes such a difference! These look great, nice post!

13. Anything But Academia January 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Movita, These look delicious, as do all of your yummy creations! I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can find out more on my post: http://seasonalsunshine.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/versatile-blogger-award-part-1/
    Thanks for sharing your culinary wisdom and wit!
    Best, Sarah

• movita beaucoup January 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Dear Sarah,

You just made my day. No lie.

Love,
      movita

14. nancyc January 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Those crispie treats look really good–and the type on your photo looks great too! 🙂

15. Amy January 4, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

I love your blog. Your photos are gorgeous!

This recipe is such an interesting take on rice krispy treats! I think I’ll have to try it. So much easier than melting butter…

16. raquel January 5, 2012 at 2:39 am #

this recipe makes my kids killing me because when they saw the photo of the crispie they want me to make this right away …I told them ok…ok… I need to read it first. Your photos are perfect .

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:55 am #

Thanks, Raquel! (And, uh, I’m sorry that I’ve made your kids go insane.)

17. inherchucks January 5, 2012 at 3:30 am #

First of all, I absolutely love rice krispies treats. Probably one of my favorite desserts of all time. Secondly, I absolutely love your blog. I came upon it thanks to Sarah from Anything But Academia. Your words make me smile and your food makes my tummy jump for joy. I can’t wait to get cooking and try out some of your awesome recipes. Happy New Year!

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Well, that settles it. Obviously you and Sarah are my new best friends. Let’s get matching jogging pants!

Thanks so much for your kind words…

18. Anastasia January 5, 2012 at 4:46 am #

Beautiful (and I’m sure delicious)!

19. Eggton January 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

(1) I’m just saying that a rice crispie treat house competition wouldn’t kill anybody.
    (2) You should know that in the South, women wear bright coral-colored lipstick and yoga pants at the same time. Like, even if they are just going out to the driveway to water a plant, or get the mail or what have you. Just want to keep you in the loop– when the Queen visits, you have options.

20. The Smart Cookie Cook January 6, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Whoa…this is such a good idea! Makes me mad I didn’t think of it first! Haha. I bet these are so delicious. And I love the way you write…so witty!

21. Cara January 7, 2012 at 1:28 am #

I absolutely love the writing on the picture. Get ready, the camera crew is waiting at your doorstep–you made it! You are famous! 🙂 And what a fun twist to a childhood classic. Very sophisticated, indeed! xo

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Dear Cara,

Now that I am famous, I won’t forget you.

Sincerely,
      movita

22. mbnilsson January 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Even though we just recently met online, I think it’s fair to let you know that now I must curse you. I can’t stop eating these. And my children aren’t interested in them so that means now I will eat them all, probably by the end of the evening (and I only made them 3 hours ago). That means a double curse. My hips and thighs would also like to declare their own triple curse.

But my tastebuds are super happy and thank you infinitely.

• movita beaucoup January 13, 2012 at 8:51 am #

I am always happy to help out! I’m so glad that I inadvertantly found you a treat that you can eat without wee child hands grabbing at you…

23. Margie September 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

I just found your blog today. This Rice Krispy recipe is so interesting. Could you tell me what Fleur de sel is? Thank you for brightening my day with recipes and furniture distressing instructions.

m

24. Chocolate Chilli Mango® January 20, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

How did i miss this????????????????????????

Love fleur de sel and this recipe is gorgeous. Never been a fan of marshmallows but love them in krispy treats!! Beautiful, MB .. stunning recipe!!!

25. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:34 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in January 2012. Happy baking!

1. Crisp coconut cookies with fleur de sel | semiswede - February 5, 2012

[…] sprinkle fleur de sel sea salt over the tops just before baking. That inspiration came from the olive oil and fleur de sel crispie treats recipe posted by fellow blogger movita beaucoup. I can tell you those crispie treats are delicious […]

2. Seafood Chowder 2.0: Guest Post by Movita Beaucoup | Cravings of a Lunatic - May 4, 2013

[…] from her Taco Salad, to her Weekend Salmon, to her Lasagna, to her Caramilk Brownies, to her Olive Oil and Fleur de Sel Crispie Treats. Everything she makes has me slamming my head up against the screen to get a better look. Now […]