roasted cauliflower salad

2.0 turned 40 in September, and I’m supposed to turn 40 in May. I’m thinking that I might opt out. Mostly because if someone were to give me a box of Lucky Charms to dive into (no milk, thank you very much), I would. Once you turn 40, you aren’t supposed to think Lucky Charms are the greatest food invention ever. Once you’re 40, you are supposed to eat salad and drink scotch on the rocks and go to cocktail parties. And when you’re at that cocktail party you are supposed to offer to play a little tune on the piano. I know this because that was my mother’s argument for the piano lessons we took for years on end. You know, so I can play the Skater’s Waltz from Book 3 of the Leila Fletcher Piano Course at a badass cocktail party. Can I get a what what? Bounce wit me.

2.0 and I made a New Year’s resolution. We are going to make an effort to stay alive. It’s a real pain in the ass, because it means we have to eat healthier food. Like vegetables. But I’m taking the position that eating real food – stuff you’ve made yourself with easily identifiable ingredients – counts as eating better too. I say eat chocolate cake, but eat chocolate cake that you’ve baked yourself. Because you probably aren’t going to add any weird chemicals in there. Well, maybe you would. Cripes, you probably like Rob Schneider movies.

lemon and olive oil

So, back to the vegetables. I think you might like this little salad. It’s got roasted cauliflower and garlic in it, along with some olive oil and lemon juice. When you roast the cauliflower, there’s an awesome nutty thing that happens. Like, it tastes kind of nutty. And you’ll be throwin’ some toasted pine nuts in there too. Pine nuts are expensive, which means they are very adult and could be served at a cocktail party. Also, this salad has chopped parsley. So when you serve it to people at a cocktail party, there’s a good chance they’ll get some stuck in their teeth. That’s a side dish of fun, people.

The picture of the salad below was taken at night. At Rosie Beaucoup‘s. It wasn’t a cocktail party or anything, because The Beaucoups are in their 60’s. That means they’ve moved past cocktail parties and are now heading toward Murder She Wrote marathons. Anyhoo, it’s kind of a crap photo. But I’m sure you can use your pretty little head to picture the salad perfectly styled and properly exposed. Heck, you could just whip a batch of the salad up, see what it looks like for reals, and then send me a better picture.

roasted cauliflower salad

Oh, and I used some more of Carol’s super awesome olive oil for this recipe. It is super. And awesome.

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Salad – inspired by a Gourmet Magazine recipe (Ruth Cousineau), November 2004 – print, make and serve at a fancy cocktail party

Yields enough for 6-8 people.

•  2 small to medium sized heads of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch-wide florets
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
  • 2 shallots, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup loosely packed finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (more or less to taste)
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
  • juice from 1 lemon

Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Spread the cauliflower and garlic in a large, shallow baking pan. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil over top of the cauliflower and garlic, and then sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over top. Mix to combine and then spread evenly in the pan. Roast the cauliflower and garlic, turning over with tongs halfway through roasting, until tender and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Set the pan on a cooling rack, and allow the cauliflower and garlic to cool slightly. Transfer to large bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Then whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a slow stream, until emulsified. (Alternatively, shake the vinegar, shallots, salt, pepper and oil together in a mason jar to combine.)

Add the parsley and pine nuts to the cauliflower, cover with the dressing and toss to coat. Squeeze/pour the lemon juice over the mixture, and gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.

35 Responses to roasted cauliflower salad

1. melanied927 January 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

yuuummm

2. theunsweetie January 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

What a great idea! This looks really tasty!

3. kydel January 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Oh Beaucoup, I feel your pain. I am slipping over into the wrong side of the 30’s when I turn 36 in April and also trying to eat more veg to lose my Christmas fattage. I would never dream of a cauliflower salad though so you have opened my eyes there. It looks really tasty and I LOVE pine nuts.
    However, Terry, my other half who is going to be 28 in June, (Hate him with me!) hates cauliflower. There. Two reasons for hate…
    I will cook this when I am cooking for one.

P.S, if that picture is pants, think back, if you can, to my cheescake picture. Nuff said.

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Remembering your cheesecake photo almost made me blow tea out of my nose. Best. Ever.

4. msginge January 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I’m not usually a fan of cauliflower, but this certainly does look good. And since it’s all good and healthy like, a big piece of chocolate cake can certainly be justified!

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:17 am #

The cauliflower will actually CANCEL the calories of the chocolate cake. No lie. That’s science.

5. frugalfeeding January 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

I never used to be a fan of cauliflower and it still isn’t my best friend. However, as long as it is cooked properly, I’m game. This looks wonderful – I’d definitely give it a go.

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Roasted cauliflower. It’s the only way to go if you aren’t a fan. Like brussels sprouts – roasting them makes ’em yummy!

6. Melissa@EyesBigger January 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

I’m supposedly turning 40 in August. At first, this really upset me because I love my Converse sneakers and somehow I figured that once you’re 40 you have to turn them in. But over Christmas I read a book called Parisian Chic and the author says Parisian women adore Converse at all ages. So I figure if I can wear them till I’m 80, I might be ok with turning 40. Maybe. I’ll let you know.

7. The Culinary Chase January 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Roasted cauliflower is so delicious…your salad looks scrumptious! 🙂

8. Ann January 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Roasted cauliflower is all the rage nowadays. 🙂 you are on the cutting edge of food! And this sounds like such a great healthy recipe–even one that you could use as a substitute for your starchy carbohydrate side dish. Here’s to a healthy 2012! 😀

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:19 am #

I AM cutting edge, aren’t I? Finally! I’m finally cool! (Or something…)

9. cardsbymo January 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Forty, Schmorty! Cool doesn’t have an age. And from what I’ve seen and read on your blog you are indeed ageless!

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Well, I’m glad my immaturity is shining through! And you’re right, cool doesn’t really have an age. And if it does, it’s 40+.

10. Eggton January 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Alternatively, you could learn to play the harp. Once we move to France, I am sure we would get the harp lessons for free. And how bad can it sound if you don’t know what you’re doing but you just sort of pluck around on it? At worst it would sound like wee angel farts, right? Still charming.

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Um, I’m not sure what we’re doing to get the lessons for free. Or who. But you make a good point, we could pluck or STRUM, and sound very much like angel shit. (I’m already utilizing harp terms like strum, so I’m pretty sure we’re gonna make it.)

11. Rosie Beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

First of all, never have Scotch on the rocks. Ice and cold: the ruination of a fine single malt. Drink it straight or with water in order to appreciate the flavour and aroma.
    Secondly, your parents will NEVER watch Murder She Wrote, or mystery programs set in another era where there is a distinct possibility that Alfred Lord Tennyson or the Emperor Claudius will surface from yet another time zone. Geesh. Give us The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Stig Larsson’s movies (Swedish versions, please)…
    Also on the subject of aging, we can never understand why older people are expected to downsize to tiny rooms and give up all those things that have enhanced their lives and nutured their spirits, watch bland television, wince when they hear a curse, speak with muted voice, and lose the ability to have a really good laugh.
    And, finally, the cauliflower salad (as with everything Movita brings to the supper table) was a lovely addition to the meal and we heartily recommend it.
    Thank you for allowing this rant.
    xox

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

1. Scotch sucks donkey balls.
      2. Murder She Wrote doesn’t have any time travel. None. Just Jessica Fletcher rocking’ out the murder solvin’.
      3. I don’t think old people should downsize. Upsize! Get a bigger car (Cadillac), curse loudly in public, wear diapers, leave rants on their kids’ blogs…
      4. Of course my salad rocked. I learned from the best. (You.)

xox back at cha

12. Eggton January 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Your mom is awesome.

13. emmalina73 January 5, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

If you live in Paris you will be able to attend free harp classes that are held in the grounds of beautiful churches, you will be taught by willowy women in flowing robes who will hand around plates of cheese while you discuss philosophy and art. Sound good? Well in the very next churchyard (they are all built in a row in Paris) there will be a class teaching MIME! That’s right. That is why the french cannot be trusted. You’d be better off in London where, yes, you’ll be mugged and probably catch a disease but mime artists are legally stoned to death in the streets. That’s why it is call GREAT Britain.

P.S. I would totally attend a MSW marathon, as long as I could wear my slippers. And yoga pants. And a cardigan. So basically come as I am now.

• movita beaucoup January 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Here’s the thing: you have taught me so, so much about England, and now France? You are the smartest person I know. My mother (see rant above) has always felt that hell is inhabited by mimes, accordion players and real estate agents. Now, I loves me some accordion, and it was a real estate agent that found the Cat Farm for us, but mimes? GREAT Britain has got it right.

Also, Sherrie from twenty-two pleasant (http://twentytwopleasant.blogspot.com/) is really into MSW. Like, hardcore. She’ll probably want to get in on some marathon action. I say we get all of these lovelies above to purchase plane tickets, meet here at the Cat Farm, engage in MSW marathon activities and plan our move to France (and our second move to Great Britain).

I’ll do the baking.

14. ringfingertanline January 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Mmmm must try. I think starchy vegetables will be the perfect Sunday night dinner after too much fun Fri & Sat.

15. glutenfreezen January 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Ahhh…I’m always so excited to see your posts in my in box. Your humor and recipes never disappoint!

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:20 am #

I feel the same way when I see your posts in MY inbox!

16. raquel January 6, 2012 at 5:01 am #

another healthy recipe that I read from this blog…I think you are not running of ideas…great job.

17. Ashley - Baker by Nature January 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

This salad looks like it was just made for me… it was, wasn’t it?!

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:20 am #

Ashely, almost everything I do, I do for you.

18. Kim Bee January 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

I love this recipe but I love your mom even more. Lol!

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 8:21 am #

She is pretty cute… and feisty!

19. Paul aka the shoe dude January 8, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Another tasty treat from the Cat Farm. I love any vegetables roasted, well except turnips, blech. Don’t sweat forty, been there, it’s not so bad. I’m with you on the eating healthier. Chocolate cake you made yourself is way better for you than some random crap filled one out of the supermarket. See how easy eating better can be?
    Love the new look, and your Mom makes me laugh. Thankfully mine regularily forgets I have a blog. She’s too busy doing RL. What’s up with that?

• movita beaucoup January 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Dear Shoe Dude,

I am so glad that you are embracing your new name.

Also, I’m sorry your mother hasn’t embraced VBRL (virtually better than real life). Maybe if you win my next contest, she’ll be wooed…

Sincerely,
      movita

20. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:33 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in January 2012. Happy cooking!