blueberry muffins {with toasted coconut}

blueberry muffins with toasted coconut | movita beaucoup

Guess what? 2.0 has admitted that it is possible that an iPhone isn’t the worst purchase I could ever make. That’s basically a stamp of approval in my books. AND he hardly rolled his eyes when he said it mumbled it. I think his change of heart has come about because:

1. I’ve talked about nothing but iPhones for six weeks straight,
  2. you have collectively applied more Apple-related peer pressure than I ever thought possible, and
  3. I have been speaking in a Siri voice for about eight days now.

I think the Siri voice was the kicker.

blueberry muffins with toasted coconut | movita beaucoup

So now, as I’m talking to myself in my automated Siri voice, I’m all: do I buy an iPhone now? Or do I wait until the iPhone 5 comes out? Do I get a white one? Or a black one? And what sort of protective case should I get? Because everyone gets a case. And then I think: what would Kanye do? But then I remember that Kanye has people. They just figure this stuff out for him so he can focus on tweeting about his Magic Company. And then I think: I need people. Which leads me to wonder: do I need an iPhone to get people? Aaaaaand then we’re back to where I started.

blueberry muffins with toasted coconut | movita beaucoup

And, people, I get that these are not real problems. I do. But I also get that I’m writing about sh*t like toasted coconut on this here blog, so iPhones share the same sort of relevance, don’t you think?

blueberry muffins with toasted coconut | movita beaucoup

So, as I ponder which iPhone to get (and when), and where to get myself some people, I give you these blueberry muffins. They are super yummy. And like all muffins, best served warm and slathered with butter. There’s a little lemon in there, and also: toasted coconut. Because almost everything tastes better with toasted coconut. I even put a little of the coconut on top, but you don’t have to. Oh, and uh, if you do, only put a few springs on top, and press ’em in to the batter so they don’t burn. Trust me.

Blueberry Muffins with Toasted Coconut

print and bake

• 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Begin by toasting the coconut: toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until golden. (Keep an eye on it, coconut burns easily.) Set aside and allow the coconut to cool completely.

Preheat oven to 375°F degrees. Grease or line muffin tins.

Whisk together the sugar, flours, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the lemon zest and toasted coconut. Place oil in a 1 cup measure, and then add the egg and enough milk to make one cup. Mix into the dry ingredients. Fold in the blueberries.

Fill muffin wells about 3/4 full and bake 20-25 minutes, until golden on top and a cake tester comes out clean.

59 Responses to blueberry muffins {with toasted coconut}

1. Susi February 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

The muffins look delicious. I’m a big fan of coconut. I can’t help you with the I phone choices because I use an Android!!!! 🙂

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 7:49 am #

My brother is all about the Android. He’s very sad that I’ve gone to the “dark side” (Apple)!

2. Tina@flourtrader February 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Well I am glad that you can create delicious things and obsess about IPhones at the same time! Getting a new gadget is great, but it is all the fast moving technology that makes my head spin when it comes to deciding.
    Your muffins look terrific and I do like fruit with coconut. Perfect for teatime or a snack for that matter!

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Baking makes you smart. That’s why I can mull over iPhone choices and toast coconut at the same time! Just another reason to fill our bellies with baked treats…

3. Dee at Deelicous Sweets February 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Oh yum! Blueberry muffins are our fav around here. I wish I had people to whip up me some blueberry muffins.

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Yes. We should get people. Imagine if you had people to force your body into yoga poses?! Awesome…

4. themessybakerblog February 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Movita, these muffins look so yummy. I like the addition of the toasted coconut.

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 7:52 am #

I would eat toasted coconut all day if I could…

5. Amrita February 22, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Picking your phone and accessories is serious research right there, it must NOT be taken lightly, nay! It is what your life will depend on in the future, so if you pick the wrong one, the cookie will crumble. Or in this case, the toasted coconut will burn! Have you ever tried toasting sweetened coconut? I love it more than the unsweetened kind and that’s what I’ll use to sprinkle in my blueberry muffins the next time around!

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 7:54 am #

You know, I’m a creature of habit. I should try toasting the sweetened stuff! I mean, what’s not to like about SWEET?!

6. Wendy@chezchloe February 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Those muffins look so good I just want to crawl right in one… And I’m straight!
    Love the addition of coconut- I just put some in my banana bread.
    Great pics 😉
    Love the wood under the muffins.
    I got my first iPhone this year and don’t know how I lived without one. You will love it and the romantic moments with your loved one in bed as you do iPhones together…

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 7:59 am #

Thanks, Wendy! I’m thinking the addition of the toasted coconut to your banana bread is pretty damn smart. Maybe we need to get Apple working on a toasted coconut app…

7. Nancy LeB February 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

your phone situation sounds like what kids refer to as ‘first world problems’ 🙂 muffins look yummy!

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Oh, Nancy! That was the exact phrase I was looking for yesterday! I kept thinking “modern world problems?” No, that’s not it… tee hee!

8. spree February 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Oh man! Those there muffins have pretty near everything in the world going for ’em…toasted shreds of coconut, blueberries bursting juicy, zesty bits of lemon, health food creds (whole wheat), slathered butter (that in no way diminishes their healthfulness), and a sexy little come-hither look that I’m such a sucker for! Move over Baking School, cuz here comes MOvITA!

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:05 am #

That’s right, sista! And I hadn’t thought of the health food creds. I mean, whole wheat basically cancels out butter. Like Diet Coke cancels out chips. That’s just science…

9. Jen @ Juanita's Cocina February 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Kudos for working Kanye into a post.

Maybe you should send him some muffins.

And send me some muffins as well…since you’ll be at the post office anyways when you send him his.

Fabby recipe, dahling. Fabby!

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:07 am #

I bet Kanye LOVES toasted coconut. Plus, his people probably peel the liners off his muffins for him. Money.

10. Elena February 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

oooh! I love this version. Coconut and blueberries = perfect marriage! Good going!

11. The Kitchen Boudoir February 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

I just recently had a (public) snit with my old phone (you know the kind you get for free with a contract) in that it wasn’t making or receiving calls. I was so mad when I walked into the Telus store that when the clerk suggested upgrading I decided on an entitled, snit-induced whim to upgrade to the (in my opinion) best and went with the new iPhone 4s. I can honestly say I haven’t looked back since. It is wonderful for a) being a phone that actually calls people b) being beautiful (mine is the black one with a matte black case) c) asking Siri inappropriate questions d) taking photographs e) feeling cool. I say go for it! Also, your muffins look mighty tasty.

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:11 am #

I love that you punished Telus by purchasing an iPhone. This is generally how I operate as well… and I’m thinking about paying them a visit today!

Your old phone sounds like the computer in our faculty lounge at work. It doesn’t actually compute anything. Also, it will show you a list of your emails, but it won’t let you read them. It makes you want to take a baseball bat to it.

Or buy an iPhone.

12. emmalina73 February 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

I know you were probably saying stuff about iphones but I was busy licking the screen and trying to inhale that picture of the blueberry muffin with extra butter. Not that I miss white flour baked products one bit. No, no, I’m all about the extra fibre these days.

Do you know any way of getting drool off a laptop screen?

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:17 am #

I’ve heard that white flour works… tee hee!

I guess we need to come up with an Emma-friendly version of this recipe. When I’m at baking school next year, we get to spend a considerable amount of time working on products for people with special dietary needs. I’ll be on the lookout for treats for you!

• emmalina73 February 23, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Well then I will definitely have to marry you!

13. Assia February 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

What a great idea – love both blueberries and coconut, so it does look like the perfect muffin for me! Thanks for sharing!

14. ceciliag February 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

let me know what you decide, I will get what you get, i have a new android thingymebob (it is red) and i have NO IDEA what i am doing! I think i just don’t use it enough having so few friends in this country and all. I am not a muffin person, but you always make me laugh. This is why i visit! maybe you could make apple muffins, i like apples..blueberries scare me.. you know why! c

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:33 am #

I’m hoping that Apple’s myriad of video tutorials will help me when I undoubtedly get confused by the iPhone! Like, really confused…

15. bellegroveatportconway February 22, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

What a great idea!! We are getting ready to open a bed and breakfast on a very historic property in Virginia. I was the birthplace of James Madison. So I am on the lookout for some really good ideas! Thanks for the great post!

16. fattydumpling February 22, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

From reading your blog post, I googled Siri and watched a bunch of silly videos about Siri–did you watch that Big Bang episode where Raj falls in love with Siri? So sad and so hilarious…Your muffins are a beaut ;]

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:37 am #

2.0 and I loved that episode!! Here’s hoping 2.0 doesn’t fall in love with Siri… it could all get so awkward.

17. Simply Tia February 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

I got my first iPhone in 2007. Let me tell you…..I went out and bought a Macbook right after. I’m on my second Macbook and have had every iPhone that has come out except the 4S…my hubby who hated iphones just got the 4s last month and jesus he is just about the most annoying thing I have ever come across. That Siri character is starting to irk me because all he does is talk to her. UGH.
    But….those phones are GREAT!! Get the 4S ASAP – Black!

By the way, those muffins are gorgeous!! Love the addition of the toasted coconut!

• movita beaucoup February 23, 2012 at 8:40 am #

We are a Mac household. Apple addicts. We will never, ever go back to PCs! So it only seems natural to add an iPhone to the collection. 2.0 is most excited about asking Siri if he will need an umbrella everyday. Like, really, really excited…

• Rembot February 24, 2012 at 11:10 am #

How does Siri know if he needs an umbrella? SHE CAN DO THAT? IS SIRI GOD?

Also if you get two Siris together in a room, will they talk to each other?

Eggton & I might have to BOTH get a 4S and experiment with this. We’ll get back to you.

• movita beaucoup February 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

I don’t know how Siri does what she does. I think it’s magic. Real, live magic.

18. Choc Chip Uru February 23, 2012 at 2:26 am #

These muffins are heaven on earth 😀
    And I love talking to Siri too – though I am sure people watch me with a quizzical expression – ILY smartphone 😉

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: 5 Min Wrap Pizza

19. thekalechronicles February 23, 2012 at 3:11 am #

What a good idea! I’m thinking raspberries and coconut.

• movita beaucoup March 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Raspberries would be perfect! (Aaaaaand now I want raspberry coconut muffins…)

20. whilehewasout February 23, 2012 at 8:59 am #

Very tempting combination of tastes!

21. Linda Vernon February 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

I’ve got an iphone ha ha! The only thing is that if you drop it you’re screwed. The protective cases don’t do any good at all. I had to take it to the apple store with an appointment that if I missed in my 5 minute window, I would have to make an appointment for another day. There were probably 200 people in the store the Sunday morning I went to my appointment. It took about 30 minutes of waiting for the guy to reset my phone. Anyway, if you have a tendency to drop things (like I do) don’t get one. Otherwise I LOVE my iphone! 🙂

• movita beaucoup February 27, 2012 at 7:44 am #

I promise never to drop my iPhone. Ever. EVER.

22. Eggton February 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Excuse me, did you say WHAT SORT OF PROTECTIVE CASE SHOULD I GET?

Get your head in the game, woman: Clearly, the Bieber case.

ps – I love the photo with the blueberry smudge on the paper muffin cup–it drew me into the picture.

• movita beaucoup February 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

I can’t believe I didn’t get a Justin Bieber case. I’m pretty sure I’m going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

23. frugalfeeding February 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I prefer android, but that’s because I’m very cool! :D. These look wonderful, Movita! A great combination of ingredients too 😀

24. Rock Salt February 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Perfect timing, I was just starting to look for an interesting blueberry muffin recipe, and here it is! I’m pondering a coconut streusel. You know, as you do.

25. Melissa@EyesBigger February 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

O. M. G. We are TOTALLY BFFs. I toasted coconut the other night for carrot cake and have the remaining waiting to make blueberry muffins. It’s like some kind of weird psychic connection.
    Also, toasted coconut is so awesome that it is totally on the same level as an iPhone.

• movita beaucoup March 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

I’ve been thinking: someone should make a toasted coconut iPhone case? RIGHT? It. Would. Be. Awesome.

26. glutenfreezen February 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

Muffins look fab! My opinion: wait for the new one, not white (hell no!), yes to a cool case, and we should petition to have a male Siri choice. 🙂

27. melfrommass February 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I read this post with Siri’s voice in my mind.

• movita beaucoup March 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

I now read EVERYTHING with Siri’s voice in my head.

28. Mama's Gotta Bake February 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

I was looking for a good blueberry muffin recipe, and I just found it! Thanks! These look so good!

29. Ann February 28, 2012 at 2:27 am #

The muffins look incredible and your photos are stunning! Congrats on your iPhone future purchase – I’m surprised you didn’t serve APPLE muffins!

• movita beaucoup March 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

FYI – this comment basically made me snort coffee outta my nose.

30. twistedsistersdesign March 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

These look very yummy! I will have to try them soon 🙂

31. cibusamare March 25, 2012 at 8:19 am #

these look great. I’m looking for lots of different cake recipes at the moment for my boyfriend’s birthday which is coming up in the next few weeks – this looks perfect! x

32. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:29 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in February 2012. Happy baking!

1. The Daring Bakers Challenge February 2012: Muffins and Other Quick Breads « Rock Salt - February 27, 2012

[…] streusel topping. These were also a combination of two recipes – blueberry muffins from Movita Beaucoup and the idea of a streusel topping from these carrot muffins. Needless to say, I did make a couple […]

2. Toasted Coconut Blueberry Muffins ~ April #CrazyCookingChallenge | Juanita's Cocina - April 7, 2012

[…] are so varied that we, as participants, were left wide open in our options!  I settled on this Toasted Coconut Blueberry Muffin from Movita Beaucoup.  If you have yet to visit Miss Movita’s blog, please make sure you do […]