refrigerator cookies with lemony frosting

refrigerator cookies with lemo frosting | movita beaucoup

Last week, I went to an orientation for baking school. It was very fun for: me. It was not fun for: 2.0.

When I received the invitation for baking school orientation, I was very excited. The invitation for Get Started encouraged me to bring a loved one along. It suggested that I bring my parents and/or my significant other to Get Started. I asked 2.0 if he might like to come. Because I’m pretty terrified pumped about heading back to school next year, and I wanted to drag him down with me share the experience with him. And what self-respecting 40 year old brings her parents to school?

Though 2.0 attended the same college back in the day, it was for boring construction type things. I wanted him to see what a cool program looks like, and where I’d be spending my days next year. I figured he’d get to tour the kitchens with me, and meet my teachers. And just to be clear: I received two emails encouraging me to bring a loved one to the orientation. And because I want to be the best student ever, I obeyed.

When we arrived at the college, we were immediately told that we’d be attending separate information sessions. That is when I knew things were not going to work out well. That is when I realized that the college would be going to great efforts to ensure that those of us who brought loved ones along would be leaving with people who no longer want to have anything to do with us.

refrigerator cookies with lemo frosting | movita beaucoup

While I was in the culinary theatre learning about baking school, 2.0 was attending a lecture on how to best support his child in college. He was given information on financing his child’s education. And he was told that cooking meals for a college student is a nice, supportive thing to do. He was told that he should check on his child frequently. That he should ask how his child is doing at school, and if his child tells him that things are “good,” he should request some sort of proof. Because sometimes kids say things are “good” at school, but in reality they are flunking out.

While 2.0 was learning about how to best support his child’s educational endeavours, I was getting my inspiration on. Chefs talked about how my decision to attend culinary school is the best decision I have ever made. It was your basic high-five-fest. I toured kitchens. I learned about uniforms, ugly shoes and books. I was told that I’ll be learning how to make about 250 varieties of bread next year. Working in the campus bakery. Putting together business plans. Decorating cakes. Making pies. And constructing massive gingerbread houses for charity. It. Was. Awesome.

My orientation took 2 hours. 2.0′s lecture took 30 minutes. For a college, this math seemed way off.

refrigerator cookies with lemo frosting | movita beaucoup

These here cookies are the sort of thing you make to say: it wasn’t my fault, but I’m really sorry that it happened. They also say: I’m sorry you waited an hour an a half in the cafeteria for me. Now, if you want a cookie that says: it wasn’t my fault, and I’m only moderately sorry that it happened, don’t frost them. (FYI, soufflé is how you say it was totally my fault, and I’m really sorry about it.)

You can store these cookies, in unbaked log form, in your refrigerator for a couple of weeks. You can also freeze them. That means you can whip ‘em out and bake them at the last minute, which will, in turn, make you look like a genius. People will say, “how does she do it? When does she find the time?” And you will toss your hair and laugh a laugh that says: you should really get your act together.

These cookies are a basic tea cookie. I added some lemon zest to the dough, but you don’t have to. And then I put some tart, lemony frosting on them to make ‘em more awesome. 2.0 really likes the frosting, and feels that you should seriously consider frosting them too.

refrigerator cookies with lemo frosting | movita beaucoup

Also, when I was at baking school orientation, I forgot to ask about school supplies. Who forgets to ask about school supplies? And now I don’t know what kind of scribblers to buy and whether I’m going to need a protractor or not.

Only 104 days until school starts…

Refrigerator Cookies with Lemony Frosting

recipe: adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook (1979)

print and bake

Yields about 7 dozen cookies.

For the cookies:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

For the frosting:

• 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar
  • 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • lemon zest for garnish (optional)

Note: the above listed quantities for the frosting will yield enough frosting to decorate ONE of the logs of cookie dough (you will have three logs).

To make the cookies:

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, on medium speed, mix together the sugar, margarine, vanilla, eggs and lemon zest until well combined. Add the flour mixture, and mix until well combined.

Divide the dough into three equal parts. Shape each mound of dough into a log/roll (about 1.5 inches in diameter and 7 inches long). Wrap, and put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before baking. You can keep the dough in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

To bake the cookies:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut dough log into 1/4 inch slices, and place onto prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges start to turn golden. Allow to cool on cooling racks.

Note: the dough logs can be frozen. To bake, slice as above (from frozen) and add a little extra time onto your bake time.

To make the frosting:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, on low speed, combine the butter, icing sugar and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice, mixing until the icing sugar is combined. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and mix until no lumps of butter or icing sugar remain. If the icing is too thick, add a few drops of warm water at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.

Spread the icing onto the tops of cookies and garnish with lemon zest.

47 Responses to refrigerator cookies with lemony frosting

1. Savory Simple May 23, 2012 at 10:30 am #

These look so wonderful!

2. Juls May 23, 2012 at 10:31 am #

This past year I’ve been doing a (UK) college culinary course among 16 year olds and whilst, at 24, the age difference is not as great as yours will be, it’s still enough for there to be similar awkwardness! My partner doesn’t like coming into the building because he says he looks like a perv among all the teenage girls (to be fair, he does) and I thought I may as well ask my now-retired, 60 something year old, sun-following, 24 hour partying parents if they wanted to come to a parents evening. My mother looked horrified and said that “that shit was boring enough when you were seven” and told me she had a wine tasting under the Thames to go to anyway. I love my mother. I can’t wait to be retired.

• movita beaucoup May 25, 2012 at 7:39 am #

2.0 has never come to the Conservatory where I work. Because he thinks he’ll look like a perv with all those 16 year old dancers. And my parents don’t like to come to any performances because “that shit was boring enough when you were seven.” I guess some things are universal…

3. glutenfreezen May 23, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Poor 2.0…well, at least he knows he needs to cook dinner for his tired “child” now and the right questions to ask when you come home from school. ;)

The cookies are beautiful! I make a gluten-free version but have to keep them in the freezer or I would bake them every, single, day.

4. emma May 23, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Oh boy. Not sure where to start with this one… I don’t think I should start at all. Poor 2.0.

I’m terrified of your emerging gingerbread prowess due to these massive houses you’ll be constructing!

• movita beaucoup May 25, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Basically, I’m going to baking school just so I can win Ginger 2012.

• emma May 25, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Thought so!

5. thekalechronicles May 23, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Poor 2.0. What a rotten trick. He deserves cookies with frosting. I hope he had an iPad with him to while away the hour and a half.

• movita beaucoup May 25, 2012 at 7:41 am #

If only I had been smart enough to give him the car keys and my iPhone. Alas…

6. domesticateddilettante May 23, 2012 at 10:52 am #

I have the same circa version of BC’s book and your post made me giggle. Can’t wait to try the cookies – and good luck with school in 104 days!

7. lexy3587 May 23, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Ah, you must be so pumped about next year! It’ll be awesome, with or without protractor. And 2.0 can ask you leading and suspicious questions about your grades and cook you things : )

8. auntie May 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

I sincerely hope someone over at that college is reading your blogs about baking school, etc. They could use all this info to make things so much better for future 2.0s and others. I mean, why not give good experiences to everybody?

9. frugalfeeding May 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

I’ll definitely remember the two different way to serve them. That’s such a funny story – truly, this is the first post I’ve ever read that actually made me chuckle out loud (usually I chuckle inside). The part about him learning how to support his child got me good.

10. chefconnie May 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

This is getting book marked. Love a little lemon flavor in my cookies.

11. mbnilsson May 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I’m with FrugalFeeding. I literally laughed out loud when I read “While I was in the culinary theatre learning about baking school, 2.0 was attending a lecture on how to best support his child in college.” Thanks for the laugh. And the cookies look delicious. This is definitely one of my favorite posts I have read on your site. Good luck in baking school. If I didn’t hate touching flour I would be envious (truthfully, I’m envious anyway).

• movita beaucoup May 25, 2012 at 7:42 am #

I hate touching flour too. And wooden spoons. It’s major disgusting. And yet, I’m going to baking school…

12. biscuitsandbobbins May 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

I love that these are adapted from the betty crocker cookbook. It somehow says “I love you, like, oldschool.” Great story, been there… luckily my 2.0 had to work late on that night…funny how he could make it to all my finals where there were buffets and stuff though… Good luck with school, you will love it and knock everyone’s socks off I’m sure!

13. lorrielorrieb May 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Best of luck with culinary school. I think 2.0′s ordeal is a small price to pay for the years of being well fed to come!! And I’m sure he picked up some helpful tips that he will be able to apply to some part of life….somewhere…..for something.

14. emmalina73 May 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

That was a great story, I totally paid attention the whole way through. I especially paid note to the words ‘lemon’ and ‘frosting’. I also noted ‘cookie’ because I’m the scholarly type who pays attention and doesn’t miss a trick. In a memorising emergency I am totally your bearch. I think there was also something about waiting but I can’t be 100% sure because my brain was full at that stage.

Btw you are going to need coloured gel pens and a compass and possibly a dictionary. And maybe a wooden spoon? What with all the cooking and that. You are so welcome.

PS High five and whoop for the college lady!

15. mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry May 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

ha ha! Feel bad for 2.0 but what a good sport! I have to perfect my hair toss/laugh that says “you really need to get your act together!” Best line of the post – made me crack up, thanks! And I’m insanely jealous of your exciting adventures in baking school to come! Hope you’ll still have time to post about it and regale us with your hilarious stories!

16. spree May 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Oh Movita another giggle! Thank you! And something really useful too, like how to have an apology waiting in the freezer for when I need it cause I need it like all the time! (Oh, yeah, and in your little baker’s back pack of school supplies, don’t forget your hairnet! They make ‘em to match your Hair Color! Isn’t that awesome?!)) xoxo

• movita beaucoup May 25, 2012 at 7:45 am #

I noted that the students don’t wear hairnets. I suppose this should make me happy. But we have to wear hats. And hats do not work for me. Like, at all. So I’ll be spending the year looking like a total doofus. But at least my grey hairs will be covered!!

17. musingmar May 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Lovely! I haven’t made refrigerator cookies in ages. For me, they’re reminiscent of home ec and 4-H and the proper farm wives in the rural area where I grew up. I also appreciate how you didn’t go all Martha on us and tell us to use a ruler and a slide rule and other math stuff to measure each log to be precisely circular and of exactly equal size. That said, I really don’t think you’re going to need a protractor for cooking school (that would take the fun out of it, don’t you think?). And, if you do need a protractor, at least 2.0 now know it’s his responsibility to buy you one. (It seems to me your college hasn’t fully come to grips with the concept of the mature student!)

• movita beaucoup May 29, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Given that 2.0 measures stuff for a living, I’m thinking I can raid his truck and get all the fancy schmancy measuring equipment I could ever need for baking school. Aaaaand now I’m thinking I SHOULD have measured those logs more precisely…

18. Christina Hunter May 24, 2012 at 4:20 am #

these look so yummy!

19. wendy@chezchloe May 24, 2012 at 11:52 am #

You must be totally excited. Enjoy the anticipation because as great as it will be, it’s going to be hard work. Not knowing you, I can still imagine you squeezing every last drop out of this year. I think you will love it. Cheers to you.

20. mybakingempire May 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

What a laugh! Poor 2.0. I hope he’s still speaking to you/planning on making you dinner while you’re in school/checking up on you because sometimes you might say you’re good when you don’t mean it. These cookies sound like a good penance.

21. Vicki @ WITK May 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

That’s super exciting that you are going back to school and so funny that you both had different lectures :) Fabulous looking cookies, I love lemons in summer!

22. Abby May 25, 2012 at 10:16 am #

So funny! I love reading your posts. The cookies look terrific too.

23. Sherrie May 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

You’re awesome. And I can’t wait to read more about your school adventures, if you have time to blog about them. :)

24. Ra May 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

That’s hilarious! You’re awesome. Have a great time at school.

25. Maureen (@OrgasmicChef) May 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

I lolled at 2.0 learning how to support you at school.

Love the cookies and I think I bought one of those BC cookbooks the year it came out. :)

26. texydeb May 27, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Poor 2.0. I hope he is OK now.

27. Ashley - Baker by Nature May 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I’m so excited for you that you’re going back to school! And I’m sorry cookies are one of my favorite ways to receive and apology!

28. Abby May 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Hey there I nominated you for a Food Stories Award – Excellence in Storytelling. Here’s the details http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/

• movita beaucoup June 1, 2012 at 8:27 am #

WHAT?! This is so awesome! Thank you so, so much for the nomination!

29. Awkward Kitchenette May 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

This is hysterical. And I love the look of those cookies!

30. maudiemaudie June 1, 2012 at 4:19 am #

Delicious as always! I tried the print and bake link though and it doesn’t work – I have a nice little file now of your recipes and it would be nice to add this one:)

• movita beaucoup June 1, 2012 at 8:27 am #

It seems to be working now! But if you have any trouble, let me know and I’ll email you a copy!! (I’m so excited to be in a file!)

31. shannon June 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

poor 2.0; if mr. table ever had to sit through something like that, i’d never hear the end of it. he’d feel so awkward and out of place he wouldn’t know what to do with himself. except, of course, come home and stuff his face full of these cookies. which, by the way, he would love. he decided he loved lemony desserts a few years back when i began making lemon tarts.

tell 2.0 i’m sorry, but to perk up, because he has 1) these cookies and 2) a mate who will be a professional baker very shortly. he will be the envy of all his friends. probably already is. :)

32. Jeneva December 29, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Movita gurl, you should be writing sitcoms. Glad I’m the only one home right now, hubby would think I’ve lost it; howling like a hyena on the iPad. These cookies look wonderful.

1. What’s Been Happenin’ In The Cocina ~ 5/26/12 | Juanita's Cocina - May 26, 2012

[...] Refrigerator Cookies with Lemony Frosting from Movita Beaucoup [...]

2. Creative Kids: Sugar Cookie Mix Product Reviews | Create! - May 31, 2012

[...] refrigerator cookies with lemony frosting(movitabeaucoup.com) [...]

3. Iced Sugar Cookies | A HEALTHY LIFE - June 3, 2012

[...] refrigerator cookies with lemony frosting (movitabeaucoup.com) Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

4. What’s Been Happenin’ In The Cocina ~ 5/26/12 | Juanita's Cocina - August 3, 2013

[…] Refrigerator Cookies with Lemony Frosting from Movita Beaucoup […]