the ballerina bakeshop: white swan cupcakes

white swan cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Have you been wondering what happens next in Swan Lake? (You know about google, right?) Well, sit yerself down and I’ll tell you. Oh, and if you can’t remember the first part of the story (at least, the way I tell it), you can click right here to get caught up.

When we last talked, there was a Royal Ball, and Prince Siegfried was supposed to be findin’ himself a wife. We’re hoping he’ll pledge eternal love to Odette so she won’t have to thrash around anymore. However, von Rothbart, the evil sorcerer, has given his daughter, Odile, a major makeover, so she looks just like Odette. His plan is to trick Siegfried into hookin’ up with the wrong gal. Remember?

white swan cupcakes | movita beaucoup

So, Odette (the white swan) is watching the Royal Ball from a window; watching Prince Siegfried gettin’ his jive on with Odile (the black swan), and probably thinking: what a dunce. She tries to warn Siegfried with flapping and such – hoping he’ll remain faithful to her – but then Siegfried is all: I love you, to Odile. Sigh. Because the doofus thinks she’s Odette. So, Odette basically throws her wings up in the air and heads back to the lake. After some time – and a bunch of dancing – Siegfried is all: wait… what? And von Rothbart is all: oh, yah, you just told Odile there that you’ll love her forever, so now you gots to marry her, and Odette is going to be a swan forever! And Siegfried is all: oh crap.

white swan cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Back at the lake, Odette and the other swans are all sad and stuff, because the the spell cast upon them can’t be broken now that doofus has pledged his eternal love to the wrong girl. Prince Siegfried finds the swans on the shore consoling one another. He’s all: Odette! Von Rothbart tricked me! And she’s all: okay, honest mistake. Because everyone in this ballet has the attention span of a fruit fly, and really wants to get married/not be a bird anymore. But then Odette tells Siegfried that she’ll be a swan forever – because of his huge-ass mistake.

white swan cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Von Rothbart and Odile show up, and von Rothbart tells Siegfried that he must marry Odile – because he stamped it red hot, black magic, no erasies and stuff. And, as all too often is the case, a fight breaks out. A ballet fight! Which is basically a lot of kicking, fake jabbing and the occasional pirouette.

Post-fight, Prince Siegfried tells von Rothbart that he would rather drop dead than marry Odile. And then Odette laments that death is the only way for her to be free from the spell, and truth be told, she’d rather croak than live without Siegfried. So, à la Thelma and Louise, Siegfried and Odette jump into the lake and die. Their sacrifice destroys von Rothbart’s powers, and frees the other girl-swans from the spell. And then? Those gals basically lose it, and drive von Rothbart and Odile into the water where they, too, drown. Oh, and then the spirits of Prince Siegfried and Odette ascend into the heavens above Swan Lake.

The end.

white swan cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Good story, huh? Are you wondering why von Rothbart cast the spell on Odette and the other swans in the first place? Join the club. No one seems to know. Dude be trippin’. Also, there are a lot of alternate endings – different people die, or don’t die, in each version. The ending I told you is just the ending I like.

If you’re feeling a little depressed about the death and stuff, you might want to shove a cupcake in your face. These here White Swan Cupcakes are of the orange-infused sort, and they are topped with a cream cheese frosting. A bitter-sweet combination – like the story of the white swan. She finds her prince, but they… you know… die. The cupcakes have a gentle orange flavour, and are very moist. The cream cheese frosting pairs perfectly with the citrus, and doesn’t need any fancy piping tools – just smear it on. These are my favourite cupcakes right now – seriously good. But this is just a concept. You see, you could make any sort of cupcake you like, and then top it with your favourite frosting. I’d go with something white(ish), but that’s just me.

Making the toppers is mega easy. As in: you could just take a look at the photos and figure it out. But I’ll be back soon with a tutorial on the easiest craft ever.

white swan cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Orange Cupcakes {White Swan Cupcakes}

recipe – adapted from Mary Margaret McBride’s Encyclopedia of Cooking 1958, Volume 3

print and bake

Yields about 18 cupcakes.

• 2 2/3 cups cake flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin wells with muffin liners.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.

In the large bowl of your stand mixer, on medium speed, beat the butter and orange rind together until light (about 3 minutes). Add the sugar gradually and continue to beat until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Mix the orange juice and evaporated milk together (I like to use a large measuring cup). Set aside.

Add the 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and mix to combine. Add 1/2 of the orange juice mixture, mixing to combine. Add another third of the flour mixture, mixing to combine. Add the remainder of the orange juice mixture, again mixing to combine. Finally, add the last of the flour mixture, mixing until fully incorporated. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with each addition of ingredients.

Fill muffin wells 2/3 full and bake for about 13 – 16 minutes – until golden and a cake tester inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting {White Swan Frosting}

print and frost

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 8 oz. (1 package) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use imitation clear if you want a lighter coloured frosting)
  • 2-3 cups sifted icing (confectioner’s) sugar

Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of your stand mixer, and mix at medium speed for about 3 minutes. The mixture should be very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

Add about 2 cups of the icing sugar and the vanilla extract. Mix on low speed (to avoid icing sugar clouds in your kitchen) and then increase the speed to medium, mixing until the frosting has a smooth consistency. Add more icing sugar – just a little at at time – until you get your desired consistency – this will also change the sweetness of the frosting.

Spread over top of cupcakes or a cake.

40 Responses to the ballerina bakeshop: white swan cupcakes

1. Chocolate Chilli Mango® August 21, 2012 at 6:32 am #

:))))))))) xo

2. kat August 21, 2012 at 8:02 am #

cutest cupcake topper i’ve ever seen!!

3. natashia@foodonpaper August 21, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Love these black and white cupcakes! And now I know what Swan Lake was about :)

4. mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry August 21, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Thanks a lot Movita! I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the end of the story and now you’ve ruined my entire frigging day! So depressed and can’t even have a cupcake… *sob*

• movita beaucoup August 22, 2012 at 7:26 am #

But they are in swan heaven! Probably munching on roots and tubers, layin’ eggs and stuff. Don’t you worry your pretty little head, okay? Now, go eat a cupcake…

5. Geraldine August 21, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Cute cupcakes, and you’re so funny!! :)

6. emmalina73 August 21, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Best. Ballet. EVER. You are now officially in charge of all ballet stories and have been officially voted in as director at the Snoop Dog School of Ballet and Dancing Stuff. Mazel tov!

7. Bonny August 21, 2012 at 9:57 am #

I love the way you tell this story! Now I want to hear your version of Giselle. That cupcake recipe looks delish!

8. Ellenberry August 21, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Are there cupcakes for every ballet??

• movita beaucoup August 21, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Well, there are baked goods for every ballet.

You’ll see…

9. thekalechronicles August 21, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Ah well — at least their spirits get together in heaven (I am in a romantic mood lately).

10. Averie @ Averie Cooks August 21, 2012 at 11:03 am #

they are gorgeous and I love the cake topper you found!

11. foodiestuntman August 21, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Thanks for finishing up the story because, quite frankly, I was too lazy last night to look up how it ended.

12. glutenfreezen August 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Cupcakes to cure depression…now if you could just make a cupcake in the form of a little capsule for all of those people who are addicted to taking meds…you’d be a gazillionare! ;) I’ll help you!

I love the look of the Black Swan Cupcakes, but I’m just freakishly anal enough not to want the frosting to make my mouth and teeth black. Enter the White Swan Cupcakes…Perfect!

~ April

13. bug_mommy August 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

I know the story and I couldn’t wait to see how YOU ended it! You always make me smile/laugh/hungry/drool/go bake yummy things – thanks!

14. Juls August 21, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I once watched ‘Romeo and Juliet’ the ballet on ice. I suppose it wasn’t technically ballet more than really intricate figure skating but it was to the ballet music. And the ballet and ice fights with swords managed to be both the most flamboyant and the most dangerous looking thing I have ever ever seen.

15. shannon August 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

it all clicked for me when i saw the black swan cupcakes: black swan = all black photo shoot. but i know the story, so i know (smart!) there’s a white swan too. which means, white swan counterpart cupcakes. which means…all white photo shoot.
    i dread those. i can’t get them right. like, ever.
    but you TOTALLY NAILED THE ALL WHITE PHOTO SHOOT. the whole thing looks absolutely perfect. now i’m going to sit and wait for you to tell me how to make my plastic ballerinas into something way more awesome than they already are.

16. Amy August 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I totally didn’t know the Swan Lake story and I must say that it’s quite dramatic and scary…do kids go to see that play??? Anyway, these cupcakes and the photos are absolutely gorgeous. And your version of Swan Lake was riveting :) Let me know when your bake shop opens…i’ll be there! ;)

17. Jennie August 22, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Love that I can come to your blog and read a bedtime story… A really good bedtime story. These cupcakes are beautiful, and I love how you artfully placed the feathers around the cupcakes- very chic. Love the toppers!

• movita beaucoup August 23, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Thanks, Jennie! I’m all about a good nighty-night story… especially one that involves jumping into a lake…

18. wendy@chezchloe August 22, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Ok – finally something I can work with. Now I will be a little more educated when this comes up in conversation at the next dinner party I’m at…. because I go to so many- yeah right.
    yummy black and white cupcakes. What a juxtaposition. (I like to throw that word around at the dinner parties too.)

• movita beaucoup August 23, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Actually, I believe that I exist in juxtaposition with cocktail parties. Side by side with contrasting effect? Yup. That sounds about right.

19. Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) August 22, 2012 at 11:44 am #

So happy to have found your blog! Your photography is stunning and I can’t wait to poke around a bit more :)

20. spree August 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

You must tell the very best bedtime stories. You sure do make the most delectable cupcakes. I think you must be any kid’s dream, Movita! Today’s version of the sugar plum fairy.

21. Liz August 23, 2012 at 10:26 am #

These are so beautiful!!! It’s like she’s dancing in the snow! And who could resist delicious cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting? Not me!

22. The Fig Tree August 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Thanks for your note on The Fig Tree today :)

These cupcakes are lovely! Awesome story telling too! I saw Swan Lake ballet as a kid. I enjoyed it a lot. But I remember my much younger sister laughing the whole time at boys in tights. *hah* So unsophisticated for a 6 year old (at the time). Beautiful photos!

23. Eggton August 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Odile reminds me of my French exchange student, who basically slutted it up with all the guys at my school who I had crushes on. I wanted to push her into the lake and drown her, but I wasn’t old enough to drive, and my mom would have caught on if–instead of asking her to take us to the mall– I had asked her to drive us to “a body of water” and to “come pick us up later.”

24. Faye September 2, 2012 at 11:19 am #

The Cupcakes are beautiful!

25. Doug June 21, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Have to say that I love the transformation of your column. There is nothing amiss with a bit of culture complementing your contribution to foodie-mania, or a lot of culture for that matter. You are welcome to cop a sit in the padded rocking chair next to the roaring fire, and share your stories with us anytime, Rachael.

• movita beaucoup June 21, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Doug, you just made my day. And the padded chair sounds rather inviting…

1. White Swan Cupcakes « The Cupcake Blog - August 22, 2012

[...] Swan Cupcakes Via Movita Beaucoup Share : Pin ItTweet Posted by Miss Cupcake in Themed Cupcakes and tagged with Ballerina, [...]

2. White Swan Cupcakes — Cupcake Pictures - August 23, 2012

[...] by admin Via Movita Beaucoup [...]

3. White Swan Cupcakes | The art of cupcake - August 23, 2012

[...] Via Movita Beaucoup [...]

4. White Swan cupcakes | Cupcake Lust - September 1, 2012

[...] movita beaucoup This entry was posted in Themed Cupcakes and tagged ballerina, cream cheese frosting, cupcake, [...]

5. Odile speed | Legoheart - September 1, 2012

[...] the ballerina bakeshop: white swan cupcakes « movita beaucoup [...]

6. Orange Cupcakes (White Swan Cupcakes) | Cupcake Recipes - May 19, 2013