carrot and leek soup

carrot and leek soup | movita beaucoup

Let me preface this anecdote by telling you that my mother, Rosie Beaucoup, adores 2.0. Like, worships at the alter of his awesomeness. And she couldn’t be happier he has come into my her life. But for a time she worshipped at another alter. The alter of David Humphreys.

Growing up, I had a close-knit circle of friends. We did everything together. I spent a lot of my childhood in their homes. And it was in one of those homes that Rosie Beaucoup found David Humphreys. And Rosie decided that I should marry David Humphreys.

David Humprheys was the older brother of my friend Susan – he was two years ahead of us in school. I don’t know how it was when/where you grew up, but in my mind? Two years was the San Andreas Fault of divides. I would never have even considered talking to someone who was cool enough to have been born two years before me. NEVER. But David was the nicest boy on the planet, and treated all of Susan’s friends like they were real, live, human beings, despite the fact that he played sports. (Dudes who play sports in a small town high school are the next level of cool – they are untouchable.)

carrot and leek soup | movita beaucoup

I often think of the Humphreys clan at this time of year, as they invited me to their house each December to help decorate their Christmas tree. Because at my house, I wasn’t allowed to touch the tree. My mother was freakin’ Martha Stewart before Martha Stewart was. My mother invented frozen yogurt and pudding pops – she just didn’t get the credit for it. And my mother wasn’t gunna let her snot-nosed kids destroy her magazine-worthy tree. Nope. No way. But at the Humphreys’ house? Tinsel Town, baby. You could put ornaments wherever you wanted! You could layer on the garland and popsicle stick artwork. Branches were laden with glitter and lights, and no one cared about colour balance or themes.

Now, though Rosie Beaucoup understood the rules of pulling together the perfect Christmas tree, she did not understand the Rules of High School. And even if she did, she probably wouldn’t have played by them. Which is why one Christmas, I arrived at the Humprheys’ house for our annual tree decorating bonanza to find a photo of myself in a heart-shaped frame sitting on the coffee table. After some confusion and freaking out, I was told that my mother gifted David Humphreys that photo of me in a heart-shaped from for Christmas. Which meant that all of David’s cool, older-than-me high school friends would have seen it too. So, yes, the entire senior boys basketball team would have been staring at my SCHOOL PHOTO (in a heart-shaped frame) as they sat around doing cool, senior high things like deciding who to take to proms or the Annual Steer Barbecue. News flash: my jungle-themed school photo did nothing to improve my chances.

So I moved to Alaska and survived on this soup for the remainder of my teen years.

carrot and leek soup | movita beaucoup

This soup is the perfect soup for getting over a cold or high school travesty. It will warm your bones, it will heal you. It tastes of carrots and a hint of wine. It’s flavour is gentle, so it pairs well with any number of main dishes, or easily stands on it’s own. I’ve been making it for years and years, and I’ll never tire of it. Just like I’ll never tire of Rosie Beaucoup’s staunch belief that I deserve the best of everything in this life, and her desire to hand it to me in a heart shaped frame.

carrot and leek soup | movita beaucoup

Oh, and just so you know, David Humphreys is happily married and reproducing. I went to the wedding with 2.0.

Carrot and Leek Soup

recipe: adapted from a recipe handed on to me by Rosie Beaucoup

print and make

Serves 6-8 people.

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 medium to large sized leeks, sliced into thin rounds
  • 2 large sweet onions, diced or sliced
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 large, tart apple, peeled and diced
  • 5 cups chicken broth/stock
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup white wine
  • 1 can (370 ml) fat-free evaporated milk (or you could use another cream of your choice here)

*optional: sometimes I add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger into this soup for a little zing (especially when I’m fighting off a cold).

In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and then add the leeks and onion. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes. (*If using ginger, I stir it in once the leeks and onions are soft, and cook for 1 minute.)

Next, add the potatoes, carrots and apple and then cover with chicken broth. Add the salt, pepper and wine. Stir, cover loosely, and cook until the vegetables are tender – about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Blend the soup to a smooth, creamy texture using an immersion blender. (You could also use a blender or food processor. Be careful – hot liquids can spray and burn you – if using a blender or food processor, blend in small batches.)

Return the blended mixture to the stove over low heat, and stir in the evaporated milk (or cream if using). Allow to heat through before serving.

Note: this soup freezes well.

17 Responses to carrot and leek soup

1. plumquot December 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

I can’t wait to make this soup, thank you for sharing it with us! Pray tell, what did you sprinkle on as garnish?

2. Melissa@EyesBigger December 16, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

ah thank you for the chuckle. I recoiled in horror at the heart shaped frame… only mothers know how to inflict that level of embarrassment! I think I’d probably have gone to the south pole though…(Alaska is actually still pretty close to BC).

3. mellissa@ibreatheimhungry December 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

That soup looks awesome and I too was wondering what the garnish is. Can’t wait until I can embarrass my kid with heart shaped frames! There are worse things though, believe me! My mom sat me and Mr. Hungry down when we were young and newly engaged and wanted to talk about birth control with us to make sure we were informed as to all of the options. I was horrified and told her we had it covered but it was so embarrassing. Then she gave us “The Joy of Sex” as part of our wedding present. No lie. I still haven’t recovered and we’ll be celebrating our 20 year anniversary this year!

4. Juls December 17, 2012 at 1:43 am #

The infliction of that level of mortification can only be slyly deliberate! I bet she was just waiting for your reaction!

5. Juls December 17, 2012 at 1:45 am #

Also, my mother once half filled a stocking with condoms for me when I was eighteen. I can’t deny that I was a bit of a teenage hobag but she wasn’t supposed to know that!

• frugalfeeding December 17, 2012 at 5:23 am #

That’s very honest of you, Juls 😀 – I don’t think my mother has ever said the word ‘condom’ in front of me…

6. frugalfeeding December 17, 2012 at 5:24 am #

Oh mothers, you gotta love ’em. Mine threw a stool at me once. The dent (hole) it left in the door is still there as a reminder 😀 – she missed. She wasn’t abusive though :D. Delicious looking soup – glad you survived those years and that your friend is healthily reproducing…

7. annewoodman December 17, 2012 at 9:15 am #

OMG! I would have stolen the heart-shaped frame and run to Alaska THAT MINUTE. Ugh! I have told my kids that if they’re not nice to me, I will play “Super Naked World” videos for their friends when they are older.

I love carrots and I love leeks. I will have to try the soup. ; )

8. shannon December 17, 2012 at 9:28 am #

this is so embarrassing that I actually feel embarrassed.

9. emma December 17, 2012 at 9:40 am #

I’m embarrassed too. My face turned red while reading this, and all I could do was mutter “oh no she didn’t” over and over to lull myself into complacency.

Oh no she didn’t?……..?

10. Amy @ Elephant Eats December 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Oh my gosh, I would have been mortified!

You know, I so so want to involve my kids (when I have them) in our Christmas decorating, but I really truly fear that I will be like your mom. Maybe we could have two trees…one for kids and one for grownups? I guess I’ll have to see….

11. Lan | angry asian December 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

you tell the best high school stories.

12. musingmar December 17, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

This soup sounds awesome! I will definitely try it – I love leeks and am curious to see how they pair with carrots. As for your story, it’s brought to mind my own high school tribulations involving my mother and the first boy I dated. I went on my first date at age 17, with a boy whose parents owned a potato farm. Suddenly, my mother became a customer of these farmers. She seemed to need to buy potatoes all the time. Big burlap sacks of them. It was dreadfully embarrassing. Then came the day when I decided not to date this boy any more. Since we had forged a deep and lasting union of about two months, my mother was devastated. How could I ever find a husband if I had discarded this perfectly good boyfriend? And what would his parents think? I’m surprised I wasn’t assigned to potato peeling duty for months as penance!

But, just to be clear, my ordeal wasn’t anywhere near as traumatic as yours. I feel for you. In fact, we should probably both go have some of the good soup. Right now.

13. heatherjay December 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

The question is, Mini-Martha…do you let 2.0 get anywhere near the tree these days?

(BTW – I used to think you’d marry David Humphreys, too – although it may have been your mother’s unrelenting influence in that regard).

14. Eggton December 18, 2012 at 10:01 am #

What about Haddie? Did Rosie try to find a husband for Haddie, too? Or was it like in Jane Austen novels where second offspring get screwed by the inheritance laws so nobody cares about them and they’re left for spinsterhood?

Your pictures are awesome. I love the lighting on the black bowl and how its edge disappears into the darkness. Super hot. Like, David Humphries hot.

15. spree December 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

I loved the whole of this post Rachael and I loved this soup! Smiles all the way around! xx

16. movita beaucoup December 27, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in December 2012.