glazed orange breakfast rolls

glazed orange breakfast rolls | movita beaucoup

I’ve been super duper busy in recent months. That means I haven’t been around here very much, and I suck at keeping in touch with all of you. I’ve been feeling bad about that, so I’ve come up with a solution to get us through these last few months of baking school. A way for us to get a little closer, or at the very least, make you think I care about you. On occasion, I will be sharing some gems (stupid stories) from an old blog that I’m dismantling. Know that I’m here for you (sorta).

glazed orange breakfast rolls | movita beaucoup

Let’s begin. Here’s a tale from back in 2008. I was just getting to know 2.0, and hadn’t yet realized that conversations like this would become a part of my every day. 2.0 and ebony-the-cat were traveling home to visit family on Christmas Eve, when he called for my assistance on a wee matter.

the phone rings:

movita: Hello?

2.0: Hey. There’s a power outage in the North End of the city. Do you have power?

movita: Yup.

2.0: I figured it might be your Christmas tree causing the problem.

(I had about 4,000 twinkle lights on my tree that year, and several people informed me that my tree was so bright that they used its glow to navigate Halifax’s Common at night. It may have reduced crime in the area.)

movita: Very funny.

glazed orange breakfast rolls | movita beaucoup

2.0: Yah. So, I was calling to ask you a question.

movita: What’s up?

2.0: Well, is it normal for a cat to lay down in a bowl of water?

movita: (pausing) Aren’t you in the car right now?

2.0: Yes.

movita: And ebony is with you?

2.0: Yes. And she’s laying in a bowl of water.

movita: I’m not sure what’s happening here.

2.0: EBONY IS LAYING IN A BOWL OF WATER.

movita: Yes, I heard you. I’m just not sure why there is a bowl of water in the car.

2.0: I thought she might get thirsty. It’s an hour and a half drive. And now she’s laying in the bowl of water.

movita: So… where exactly is the bowl?

2.0: On the floor. In the back of the car.

movita: Well, I’m not sure that you needed to give her water for the ride. Especially since I’m assuming you don’t have a litter box on the back seat.

2.0: Oh no. I hadn’t thought of that… Anyway, I put the water on the floor, and at first she drank it, but now she’s kind of panting and laying in the bowl. Her stomach must be wet. Why would she do that?

movita: Maybe she’s confused. I’m sure she wasn’t expecting to find a bowl full of water there.

2.0: I guess. Seems strange though, right?

movita: Yes. I think we can agree that something very strange is happening here…

glazed orange breakfast rolls | movita beaucoup

Every day, people. Stuff like that goes down every day.

If you need some help coping with your… every day, you might want to consider bringin’ some awesome to your breakfast. These orange rolls are like cinnamon rolls, but with orange. That seems obvious, but I thought I’d spell it out for you just in case. (See? I’m showing you that I care.) There’s orange flavour infused in the dough, the filling and the glaze. Top notch! Also, they are easy to make. Even easier than convincing a cat not to lay in a bowl of water than has been placed on the floor of a car for her.

glazed orange breakfast rolls | movita beaucoup

glazed orange breakfast rolls | movita beaucoup

Glazed Orange Breakfast Rolls

recipe: adapted slightly from Canadian Living’s Special Baking Edition Holiday 2012

print and bake

• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

For the glaze:

• 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 8-inch square baking dish.

Begin by making the dough. Place the eggs and orange juice in a small bowl and beat with a whisk or fork until well combined. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Drizzle the egg/orange juice mixture over the crumbs, tossing with your fingers to moisten.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough – your rolls will be tough. Roll the dough out into a 20 cm (8 inch) square, making sure that the dough is the same thickness throughout.

Make the filling by mixing together the melted butter, sugar, orange zest and ground cloves. Spread the filling over the rolled out dough using a pallet knife or spatula, being sure to cover the dough evenly (right out to edges).

Roll up the dough, keeping the thickness of the roll even as you do so. (I like to roll toward myself, tugging the edge furthest from me up and over the filling, and then rolling up the dough, tightening the log as I go.)

Cut the roll into 9 slices – a very sharp serrated knife works well – let the knife do the work, don’t press on the dough excessively. Re-shape the roll slices if necessary, and then place the pieces in the greased baking dish. There may be a little space between the rolls. Bake until golden and puffed – about 30-35 minutes. Let cool for several minutes (until just warm), run a knife around the edges of the pan, and then flip onto a wire cooling rack to remove the rolls from the pan.

Whisk together the icing sugar and orange juice to make the glaze, and then drizzle over the warm (not hot) rolls.

34 Responses to glazed orange breakfast rolls

1. annewoodman February 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Movita, I’m glad you’ve found a way to bridge the gap so that we here in Blogland won’t feel neglected. Or overeat to make us feel better about you not being around. Yum. I will have to make these orange-y goodnesses. Thanks, I think.

• movita beaucoup February 18, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

I do what I can. I mean it’s one thing to neglect the houseplants, it’s another when it comes to neglecting bloggers…

2. Krysten S February 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

What would you use instead of orange juice if you don’t have any/ just don’t like orange?

• movita beaucoup February 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Dear Krysten,

This made me snort coffee outta my nose.

How about cinnamon rolls? They’ve got, like, no orange in ‘em.

xox movita

• frugalfeeding February 17, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Good observation. They don’t. Nice rolls, by the way :D. Odd cat…

• movita beaucoup February 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

Krysten goes to baking school with me. She likes to ask weird questions in order to try my patience…

3. emmalina73 February 17, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

Seeing the pictures of the orange rolls you made for me (and me alone) reassured me that you do indeed love and care for me deeply. Just me, as an individual, not part of a group or anything.

Plus I’ve never seen a cat lie in water! Of course I haven’t now either but I do have a mental picture of it that will keep me cosy and warm on the cold days of ice skating and roll eating to come. Everyone wins.

• movita beaucoup February 18, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

niles-the-cat SHOWERS WITH ME! No lie. That outta keep ya cosy and warm!

4. glutenfreezen February 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

They look wonderful and I think I could actually smell them when you were talking about them. Ha! Cats do weird stuff when you take them out of their comfort zone and put them in a car. We had ours in the car for about 400 miles of the 3,000 mile move across country. It was either put her in a crate in the camping trailer we were pulling after 400 miles or or sell her on the side of the street because her meowing was driving us over the brink of…I don’t know what. ;)

~April

• movita beaucoup February 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Oh, April, ebony likes to meow – no, howl – at her water before she drinks. It is a haunting (and surprisingly loud) ritual. She goes on and on. It really freaks people out when they come to visit, and it drives us over the brink of I-don’t-know-what too…

5. spree February 18, 2013 at 11:36 am #

I would be very content to curl on the couch in my jammies, turn on the tube and watch re-runs of “Movita The Baker and 2.0″. With a plate of buns like these, I think I could curl there til morning.

• movita beaucoup February 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

This sounds like the perfect plan. Provided you’re willing to share the couch with three cats…

6. wee eats February 18, 2013 at 11:57 am #

Haha! I love the ummm…. “unique” thought processes of our significant others….

7. wee eats February 18, 2013 at 11:57 am #

and also these rolls. I love these rolls.

8. jingersnaps February 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Those look amazing. One day I’ll wake up early enough to make and eat rolls for breakfast.

9. Emily Lynne @ The Best of this Life February 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Hahaha, “I think we both agree something strange is going on here” – love it! Those rolls are TOO tasty looking – I love orange glaze :)

10. lorrielorrieb February 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Makes me want to take the day off and hang around eating that all day!

11. emma February 19, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Eli always wants to leave out water for our cat in the car. His thoughts jump to her “well-being,” or something, while I’m thinking deep thoughts about her in-car avoidance of the litterbox.

She used to circle the perimeter of our car nonstop when we’d let her out of her cage, including across the dash and over your head, but she’s getting soft in her old age, and actually chilling out on a lap now and then these days. It’s pretty weird.

12. Amy @ Elephant Eats February 19, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Haha, 2.0 cracks me up. Sounds like a ridiculous convo I’d have with Nate. My cat isn’t quite sure what she thinks of water. Lately she’s taken to pawing at the water coming out of the faucet while I’m brushing my teeth. It’s so cute! Anyway, these orange rolls sound delicious, and also much better than cinammon rolls…the orange probably cuts the sweetness well.

13. Ashley Bee February 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Hehe, my cat loves water too. He’s a little weirdo. I do hope the cat didn’t pee in the car!

14. shannon February 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

whoa. hold up. you’re redoing things THINGS LOOK DIFFERENT i am SO NOT GOOD WITH CHAAAAAAANGE sometimes.

*but it looks so pretty!*

i’ll get used to it/get a grip. perhaps, if we’re lucky.

my favorite 2.0 stories are the sort when you ask him what he just said and he just turns on the caps lock and lets loose with the volume. it makes me giggle like nothing else. also, i’m working on an orange rolls (or rolls, sort of) recipe, and i’m just not nailing it. I think i’ll make myself these for some moral support

• movita beaucoup February 21, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I had a snow day this week. Rather than relax, I tried to teach myself stuff about blog design. Turns out you should go to school for that sort of thing. So, I guess next year I have to go to computer school…

15. musingmar February 19, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Oh, it’s always so nice to hear from you Movita! Love the story about 2.0 and the cat, and the rolls look so delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’d love to make it sometime when I have this cast off. I don’t think I’ll be doing much baking in my current one-handed condition. Enjoy the last few months of baking school!

16. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen February 20, 2013 at 2:39 am #

I loved reading your story, Movita, since I didn’t know you back then.. it’s a treat to learn more about 2.0:) And.. of course, I love your breakfast rolls! xx

17. Eggton February 20, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Please consider the fact that I would buy a coffee table book entitled WHY IS MY CAT LYING IN A BOWL OF WATER (And Other Metaphysical Questions).

To be honest, since Scott made our coffee table out of a cabinet door that he got from Habitat for Humanity and it’s so weak that it barely holds a cup of tea, it would actually be a book I’d put on the back of the toilet bowl so my guests have something awesome to read while they’re on the can.

I hope the prospect of my esteemed guests reading 2.0′s philosophical musings at odd hours will inspire you to contact your publisher immediately.

• movita beaucoup February 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Publisher has been contacted.

I’m so glad you think your guests would like to read my book whilst… pooping.

18. birchbarksoap February 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Hey, Rachael! In a weird connection of Maritime blog love, my friend Barb in Saint John did an interview with a molasses lady, and guess what her favourite blog is? Read it here: http://www.barbbarbbarb.com/2013/02/interview-with-bridget-oland-from-crosbys-molasses-a-giveaway/

• movita beaucoup February 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I FEEL LIKE I JUST WON AN OSCAR!! Thanks for sharing this link! I’m off to make new friends…

19. broma bakery February 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

want. want want want want want. making.

20. cravingsofalunatic February 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

I would have thought it was more odd if 2.0 had laid in the water with the cat. Or the cat called. This is normal life here too. Maybe 2.0 and hubs were separated at birth?

Orange glazed breakfast rolls…you are a genius.

21. gottagetbaked March 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

I’m glad you care about your readers enough to give us recycled material ;) omg I was laughing so hard reading that conversation. And these rolls – droooool… I’ve been wanting to make orange rolls for a long time and you’ve convinced me to do it ASAP.

22. themessybakerblog March 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

I could totally use help with my every day. I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who experiences weird happenings on a daily basis. It’s good to know that I’m not alone. Now, if only I could eat rolls everyday without my rump plumping.