blueberry loaf

blueberry loaf | movita beaucoup

The other day, I caught 2.0 trying to plug a mouse into a cd drive. Not a real mouse, bozo. Our wireless computer mouse needed a battery recharge, so I suggested that he use an old-school tailed mouse to get by for a few hours. That’s when I caught him trying to use the cd drive as a USB port, which shouldn’t come as a surprise, because when I first started this here blog? There was a lot of confusion.

blueberry loaf | movita beaucoup

2.0: (looking at his computer screen) Well, your blog looks exactly the same to me.

movita:  That’s because you’re not on my new blog.

2.0: What? How am I supposed to find it?

movita: Um, click the link that takes you there.

2.0: Oh… (searching for the link) I can’t find the link. There’s no link!

movita: Right here. (clicking on the link)

2.0: Oh my god! This is totally different! (pausing) What’s this? What the…

movita: That’s the post that tells people not to freak out about the new blog format.

blueberry loaf | movita beaucoup

2.0: (after reading the post) I can’t find the comments!

movita: They are right there. At the top of the post.

2.0: Are those the ones for this writing? Or the writing below?

movita: This writing.

2.0: It won’t work! It doesn’t work!

movita: Just hover over it and click.

2.0: I am. I AM CLICKING A LOT. It’s not working.

movita: Over the blue number. Click the blue number.

2.0: Got it… Hey! Here are the comments! (pausing to read)

2.0: Wait. I can’t get back. I can’t get back!

movita: Well, you could just hit the “back” button. Or click on “home.” Or “movita beaucoup.”

2.0: It’s okay. I got back. (pausing to read some more)

blueberry loaf | movita beaucoup

2.0: Where’s your tutorial list? I can’t find it!

movita: Why don’t you try typing “tutorial” in the search box?

2.0: (typing “tutorial” into the URL address bar) Here?

movita: No. In the box where it says “search.”

2.0: Here? (typing)

movita: No. That’s google. For the love of…

2.0: Found it!

blueberry loaf | movita beaucoup

If you’re dealing with a… frustrating situation, you might want to make this blueberry loaf. It’s a lovely pound cake type deal – perfect for breakfast or snacking. It takes a long time to bake, which means you’ll have lots of time to teach someone how to use the interwebs whilst enjoying the smells coming from your oven. It’s very calming. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries in this loaf – don’t defrost the berries before adding them to the batter – that way they’ll streak less. I like to use huge Ironwood Farm blueberries – we stock our freezer at all times. If using frozen berries, your loaf might take longer to bake – mine took almost an hour and a half. Plenty of time to help 2.0 with the computer and vacuum up cat fur.

Also, just so you know, when we bought our iMac, 2.0 asked if we’d still be able to get Google on it. (It’s like he’s not even trying to learn about computers.)

Blueberry Loaf – adapted in the barest of ways from fine cooking 2001 (carolyn weil) – print and bake

Yields 1 loaf.

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (if using frozen, don’t defrost)

Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until pale and uniform in texture (3-5 minutes).

With the mixer still running, sprinkle in the sugar a little at a time, and beat until well incorporated, light and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until well blended before adding the next, and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl with each incorporation.

Add the flour mixture and vanilla, and mix on low speed until almost incorporated. Use a stiff rubber spatula and mix by hand until the batter is blended and smooth, taking care to scrape the bowl’s bottom and sides. Gently fold in the berries.

Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 60 to 65 minutes if using fresh berries, 75 to 90 minutes if using frozen. Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely on a rack before serving.

52 Responses to blueberry loaf

1. wendy@chezchloe March 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Yo Movita! Looks good this blueberry loaf And the site of course,. Both share simplicity and style. And what I’d really like to know is how you got your blueberries to suspend throughout the loaf. My tend to sink like a bag of kit…. oh that’s horrible and won’t type it. Well I typed it and erased it because I love kittens and have them.
    Anyhoos- Hope all is good your way. I’ve got 574 blog mails to catch up on but thought when I saw you pop up with the new little pop up screen of new mails flowing in (completely distracting but awesome)- I’d stop over.
    Cheers ma dear xx wendy

• movita beaucoup March 23, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Wendy, I love comments left that sound like an old friend just picking things up where they left off – you’re my kind of gal. I’m sure you’ve heard of dredging fruit in flour before putting it into cakes, etc. – we do that at school with pound cakes. However, I didn’t even think to do it with this loaf! I’m betting that because the batter is relatively thick, it sort of hugged the berries and held them in place… Alternatively, they were suspended by MAGIC.

• Chocolate Chilli Mango® January 27, 2014 at 12:26 am #

Yep, I’m usually too lazy to toss my berries/fruit in flour first. Don’t usually have a problem. A good batter will hold!

Love this simple recipe.

LOL’d very much re your intro … I probably would have doofed him on the back of the head by the end of that hahahaha

2. Eggton March 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Hm. When 2.0 builds houses, does he sometimes put the door where the window should be? Does he occasionally forget to put the house in a neighborhood that has electricity? Because it’s starting to sound like something he would do. I say this without any fear of offending 2.0 since he can’t possibly know how to read the comments on your blog.

Nice blueberry loaf.

• Rosie Beaucoup March 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Well, I can vouch for 2.0!
      Last year, we did a basement renovation, whick resulted in a large family room below stairs. So we got a large, LCD, LED, smart TV.
      One Saturday afternoon, while Movita was teaching ballet, 2.0 came and unpacked the very large television box and in a calm and logical manner, managed get the new fibre optic service up and running with all the right audio and video connections – even calling Movita to bring one of his own extra audio cables from home to complete the set up. He did it so much better and faster than we would have managed on our own.
      And he is awesome in construction. With computers,okay, maybe not so much…

• movita beaucoup March 23, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Oddly enough, Katherine, he’s good at construction. Can’t find the keys to his truck to get to the site, but good after that. But I don’t want you to believe any of the crap my mother is saying. Any fibre optic services he was able to provide to my parents was a FLUKE. Trust me. I live with the man. He doesn’t even know what fibre op is. Guess who had to hook up our Apple TV? Me. BECAUSE YOU HAD TO PLUG ONE MOTHER FREAKIN’ USB CORD INTO THE TELEVISION AND THEN ANOTHER CORD INTO THE WALL.

That is all.

3. Carol Anne @ Rock Salt March 22, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

I’m sure 2.0 wouldn’t be best pleased by these revelations… However as the chances are that he’ll never read this, that’s probably OK.

2.0, if you are reading this, that was an example of light humour. Banter, if you will.

Blueberry cake?

• movita beaucoup March 23, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Let’s eat cake in Toronto this summer. I’ll bring my sister. We’ll banter and stuff. Even though she says that cake can be “too sweet” sometimes. (I mean, that’s totally ridiculous.)

4. Anonymous March 22, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Those last two sentences were a crack-up. As well as the last sentence about 2.0 on Eggton’s post. Thanks for the chuckle.

• semiswede March 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Shoot! Ididn’t mean to be anonymous. It appears I could use some computer lessons along with 2.0.

• movita beaucoup March 23, 2013 at 8:27 am #

We’ll be starting some sort of summer session in the coming months. We’ll begin with turning the computer on and off (because some people find this hard) and how to save an email so you don’t have to print them all off.

• Stacy March 24, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Please tell me where to sign my mother up for that one! She prints just about everything and it makes me crazy!

5. Lynne March 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

A. Your blog looks bloody sexy. Totally love it.
    B. I am all over this blueberry loaf like white on rice. Can’t wait to bake it.
    C. You are the icing on my cake. xx

• movita beaucoup March 23, 2013 at 8:29 am #

I’m assuming by blog, you meant me, and I thank you for thinkin’ I’m so bloody sexy.

You are the cake under my icing. (Which is an important job, as icing has yet to learn how to suspend itself in the air.)

xox

6. PattyAD March 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Oh, that looks good. I feel the need to bake this this weekend.

7. natalie @ wee eats March 22, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

hahaha! Sometimes I wonder how our boys have made it THIS far in life. I think the phrase “adorably helpless” would sum it up? haha – I totally bought a huge thing of blueberries LAST week to make a (different) blueberry loaf… but then I accidentally ate them instead.

Rather I ate some and realized that after stealing “a few” for snacking … a few separate times… I no longer had enough to justify throwing them into a whole loaf.

I think I shall restock my supply and try again… with THIS lovely-looking recipe!

8. natalie @ wee eats March 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

BF will actually mention after he says or does something, “You better not write about that on your blog” … it’s so sad bc there is SO MUCH HILARIOUS that everyone else in the world is missing out on…

• Amy March 22, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

Why are you honoring his request..post that stuff, stat!

• movita beaucoup March 24, 2013 at 8:57 am #

2.0 often says, “DON’T PUT THIS ON YOUR BLOG!” But I think what he really means to say is, “put this on your blog, because the peeps be lovin’ it.” Soon he’ll need his own facebook fan page.

9. Emmalina March 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

Ok, look, sometimes computers are CONFUSING ok, and it’s not just because some people (not me) are quite Amish and so think computers are plotting against them. Ok? I’m just saying that some people are better at making cakes than at making computers work. Don’t judge.

• movita beaucoup March 24, 2013 at 8:58 am #

Dear Emma, people should have two skills in life: cake and computers. Let’s work to ensure that you and 2.0 are competent at both.

10. juanitascocina March 22, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

I just thought that you should know, that in addition to this lovely loaf on this here blog, the ads running at the bottom of your page for me are for some sort of “increase your brain power” thing. Made me laugh. Like, a lot.

P.S.~ Need a slice. Not because of frustration. But, because I’m frustrated that I’m not frustrated enough for a slice.

11. spree March 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

dear girl…i’ve learned a few things recently…never drink hot liquids while reading Movita Beaucoup; never drink cold liquids while reading Movita Beaucoup; never rush a good bread, especially one with frozen blueberries in it; always always have a freezer full of bursty berries; and patience of the highest order merits nothing less than heavenly cake. you’re a wise little baker!

12. ibreatheimhungry March 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Men! Mr. Hungry and I each have our own computers for a reason – he’s always breaking his (hey look free stuff I can download just by giving my password to this totally legit looking site with lots of spelling and grammar errors – hey why did my screen freeze and how come our bank accounts are all empty?) and so I don’t like him touching mine – ever. We both love blueberries though so this recipe seems like it could smooth over most of our computer related arguments. I’ll have to try it next time he does something epic – and I can assure you it will be soon! In fact he’s over there clicking away right now – he’ll probably sell our kid to some black market adoption agency without even realizing it, in five, four, three, two….gotta go!!!!

13. Amy March 22, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

Hehehe, I can just imagine this conversation going on. Luckily my husband is pretty computer literate, but I def have these convos with my mom on a daily basis…except she lives a plane ride away so I can’t just point where things are on the screen, I have to explain on the phone!!! OMG I’m getting frustrated just thinking about it. I think I need some of this blueberry loaf NOW! 🙂

14. mydearbakes March 23, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Yummy! Your post is making me so hungry now! =D

15. msginge March 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Teaching 2.0 the computer sounds more frustrating than teaching my FIL the computer, which is also….frustrating. Blueberry bread sounds like a great reward.

16. lorrielorrieb March 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I didn’t even get to read this post before I ran to the kitchen and started baking it!! I have an iPad now so I can bring the recipe with me!! But now I just read the part about the 65 minutes of baking! So I had plenty of time to go back and read the rest!

• lorrielorrieb March 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I totally made it and it was great! Thanks for the inspiration!

17. thekitchenboudoir March 23, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

I have freezer envy – mine currently boasts a motley collection of a bag of peas from 2006, unopened. Also, a bag of Edamame I bought on a whim and promptly forgot about. Some frozen cubes of Toronto Tap. A brownish black lump of old bananas just short of a loaf, and a lonely, neglected KitchenAid ice cream maker bowl. No on-call blueberries. If I had them, (which, starting now, is a must), this loaf would be baking as I type.

18. Emily March 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I have some blueberries in my freezer that are practically begging me to make this. The pictures make it look so good! I’m going try adding in meyer lemon juice instead of the vanilla.

19. themessybakerblog March 23, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Movita, this post cracked me. I think it has something to do with the fact that Squirrel is completely clueless when it comes to computers (especially my Mac). It’s exsaperating sometimes. Your loaf looks amazing, and those photos…stunning!

20. musingmar March 24, 2013 at 12:43 am #

Oh my that blueberry loaf looks so tempting! We need to organize a courier service between my house and yours!

When couples get together we’re advised to check out various aspects of compatibility (toilet paper over or under the roll? squeezing toothpaste from the bottom or middle of the tube?). But what about technological savvy compatibility? Actually, as long as one of you has it, that’s a good thing. Seems pretty clear who doesn’t have it at your house!

21. Stacy March 24, 2013 at 8:41 am #

I was going to ask the same question as Wendy because this loaf is just too perfect with its blueberries all nicely spaced. I think thick batter is probably key! And maybe the blueberries being frozen helped. I can’t wait to try this beautiful cake. P.S. Tell 2.0 that a guy who isn’t a computer geek is refreshing for a change. Although after your mother’s comment, I tend to think he’s sandbagging you and acting like he doesn’t know so you will do the thing, like hooking up the Apple tv. So torn.

22. frugalfeeding March 24, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Absolutely gorgeous! Shame I’m on a no cake… spree. I’m dying for a bite… 😀

23. Karen March 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Your blueberry loaf is terrific looking. I’m like everyone else, the blueberries seem to be perfectly spaced.

24. Renee March 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Movita, I love coming here. You always make me laugh – sometimes out loud and sometimes just to myself. But you do. And you also make me hungry looking at your fabulous baked goods. What an absolutely perfect blueberry loaf!

• movita beaucoup March 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

Renee, I just want you to know that when I read comments from you I do a victory lap around my house. Or, in the case of this most recent comment, I run around 2.0’s mummy’s house. Because you are a wicked cool blogger. WICKED COOL.

25. Ashley Bee March 25, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Oh dear, that sounds like a conversation with my mom. She’s very computer-illiterate. Also this loaf looks gorgeous…

26. Cravings of a Lunatic March 27, 2013 at 1:39 am #

I think 2.0 and hubs are related. Which means we’re sis in laws in my book. So since we’re sis in laws you should totally stop by for a visit. And bring this blueberry goodness with you. I’d suggest bringing two. Or maybe three. You can vacuum up cat hair while I scarf lots of loafy goodness.

27. emma March 27, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

I was all ready to say something snarky, but then I saw the comment about the Amish.

And now I’m sitting here in this unfinished basement that clearly floods regularly, probably has lead paint floors, and contains a crap ton of filing boxes and a fire extinguisher from 1972, just thinking about how much I love the Amish.

28. shannon March 30, 2013 at 8:54 am #

You know, 2.0 sounds like one of those people who’s just really quite good at their own things; so good, in fact, that they don’t have the brainspace for other things, like how to google, or find the comments section in a blog, or figure out what exactly a blog even IS. It’s how i explain away Mr. Table’s ability to do a multitude of high-level things in his field and yet seemingly can’t quite find the dishwasher at night for his late-night coffee. Or how he can’t seem to fix a curtain rod without a massive overthinking of the project (it’s a curtain rod.) Mr. Table may be 2.0’s exact opposite in that way.
    The first thing i said to myself when i saw this loaf was “holy cats! those blueberries are huge!” and indeed, you confirmed that. We’ll have those too this summer, and hopefully Stella is old enough to go blueberry picking when we do; i know kids are gross, but let me tell you; my mom had it easy come summer berry season, because hey…child labor. two of us in the fields. Our freezer was FULL of berries, and they weren’t all from her.

29. stephbo93 March 30, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

My DH and I have the exact same sort of conversations, usually ending with me saying, “Oh for love of God, just let me do it. (Yanking computer out of his hands and pressing one button). HERE!” He’s good at lifting heavy stuff and not much else. Unless you want to know intricate details about how people dressed in 1765 or what some insignificant character in an awful movie you saw one time 20 years ago said. He’s good at that stuff. Now I need to go make up some of this here blueberry yumminess to cope with my frustrations.

30. Nanette March 31, 2013 at 12:40 am #

I have nothing witty to say only: “YUM!”
    I made this today (I had some blueberries that looked better in the store than they tasted when I got home that I needed to use) and it was a HUGE hit. We are going to pretend it is a muffin for Easter-morning-brunch tomorrow, but it looks/tastes/feels fancier than a muffin.
    (I used almond extract instead of vanilla (only because I have TONS of almond extract) and my (fresh, flour-dusted) blueberries sank – a problem I have never had before but saw in other’s comments.)
    And, as an added bonus, my oldest child says the house now smells like blueberry pancakes!!

• movita beaucoup March 31, 2013 at 10:53 am #

This is so exciting! I’m so glad you liked the loaf. I have a theory that my berries might have floated because they were frozen. This almost-scientific-theory is based on the notion that the icy berries freeze the batter around them, thus suspending them in the cake. I’m thinking about writing an article for a scientific journal…

• Anonymous April 8, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I have somewhat-scientifically proven your theory!! I made the loaf again with frozen blueberries (I am POSITIVE all other variables were unchanged) and sure enough: evenly distributed berries. It wasn’t quite as pretty this time, since, even though I flour-dusted the berries and was oh-so-gentle folding them in, they streaked the batter.
        P.S. Hubby has added it to his MOST-loved-baking list – high praise indeed.

• movita beaucoup April 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

This is so exciting! FROZEN BERRIES RULE! And so do you…

31. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen March 31, 2013 at 1:18 am #

You should know now that this is a very skilled and practiced technique in which men endeavor (and usually achieve) to persuade the woman in their life to do those “niggly” sort of things that they really, deep down have absolutely no interest in learning. You watch.. first it’s the computer.. then.. it’s making the bed (how is that done, he says scratching his head), frying eggs and making toast, making a sandwich.. the list goes on.. and on.. my dear.. on and on.. and there is no The End. The clue was when you wrote: (It’s like he’s not even trying to learn about computers.) Yup.. he’s not trying, Movita.. I know I have the older version of 2.0.. kind of like those little Macs with the green blinking cursor when they first came out?
    ps Love your lovely blueberry loaf:D

32. glutenfreezen April 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Well that’s the best looking Blueberry Loaf I’ve ever seen! Mine usually ends up purple and takes forever and a day for the middle to cook properly.

Eggton cracked me up. Wish I was witty! 😉 Really did make me laugh out loud. And bless your sweet, sweet, momma for sticking up for 2.0 ~ April

33. movita beaucoup December 27, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in March 2013.

1. Lunatic Loves May 1 | Cravings of a Lunatic - May 1, 2013