buttercream icing for a six-inch cake

buttercream icing for a six-inch cake | movita beaucoup

A couple of years ago, 2.0 presented me with a golf club and claimed it was an anniversary gift. It was not. (I don’t golf.) My sister, Haddy, was visiting at the time, and told him it was the most thoughtful anniversary gift of all time. It was not. (She just likes to side with 2.0.) So, when 2.0 announced that he had personally selected a birthday gift for my sister, I got pretty excited.

buttercream icing for a six-inch cake | movita beaucoup

2.0: I have something for your sister’s birthday.

movita: Really? What? (Thinking: a golf club. Please, let it be a golf club.)

2.0: Do you think she was serious when she said she wanted sex for her birthday?

movita: Totally. (Thinking: I doubt it, but let’s see where this is headed.)

2.0: Really? I can’t tell with you two.

movita: Yes, she wants sex for her birthday. She never lies.

2.0Okay. Well, I got her a man.

movita: Really? (pausing) Where?

2.0: At work.

movita: What’s he like?

2.0: I dunno.

movita: Is he nice?

2.0: Sure.

movita: Is he single?

2.0: I guess so.

movita: Does he talk about a girlfriend? A wife? Have you seen him with a woman?

2.0: I don’t think so.

movita: What does he look like?

2.0: A dude.

movita: Your eloquent words have painted a vivid picture upon the canvas of this conversation.

2.0:

movita: Did you tell him about her?

2.0: No.

buttercream icing for a six-inch cake | movita beaucoup

movita: Can you help me out here? Can you tell me ANYTHING?

2.0: Um…

movita: Alright, let’s try this: do you think she’ll like him?

2.0: Well, if it turns out he isn’t gay, then she’s really gunna like him.

movita: Wait, wait, wait… what?

2.0: Well, I’m not sure. He just bought a house with a dude. So…

movita: (sighing) I’m pretty sure this isn’t going to work out.

2.0 later told me that the man in question had indeed purchased a house with another man, but more importantly, had also purchased a velour leisure suit.

buttercream icing for a six-inch cake | movita beaucoup

Remember when I told you about that six-inch classic layer cake? How it makes the perfect amount of batter for six-inch pans? Well, this recipe is the perfect amount of icing for that same sized cake – just in case you’re too afraid to make something like German buttercream. This is a classic, American buttercream. It will yield enough to frost a two-layer, six inch cake. There’s not enough for fancy piping – just enough to cover your cake with a few extra swirls.

Did I tell you that on my birthday, I was so exhausted from my day at the bakery, that I DIDN’T EVEN EAT A PIECE OF MY OWN BIRTHDAY CAKE? That 2.0 had a big, buttercream-slathered cake awaiting my arrival, and that I couldn’t even manage a bite? Nope. Instead we ate hamburgers and went to bed. Exhausted, but happy…

Buttercream Icing for a Six-Inch Cake

print and make

Yields enough to frost a two-layer, six-inch cake.

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese (optional), room temperature
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream

Mise en place – begin by getting organized. Measure out all of your ingredients. Be sure your butter and cream cheese are at room temperature.

Note: the cream cheese in this recipe is optional – I like to add it in for a little extra creaminess and to help balance the sweetness. Feel free to leave it out if you don’t have any on hand.

In the bowl of your stand mixer (or with a hand-held mixer), beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth – 2-3 minutes. Be sure the mixture is smooth, or you will have lumps in your frosting. Mix in the salt.

Reduce speed to low, add 1 cup of the icing sugar, and mix until combined. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream, and mix until well combined. Add the second cup of icing sugar and mix on low speed until well combined. Add the additional tablespoon of heavy cream (if desired, for consistency), and beat on medium speed until smooth and floofy.

Additional icing sugar or heavy cream may be added (just a little at a time), until the desired consistency is achieved.

37 Responses to buttercream icing for a six-inch cake

1. cravesadventure May 13, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Beautiful Cake – thanks so much for sharing:) Have a Great One!

2. lorrielorrieb May 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Gorgeous cake…..and fabulous story!

3. Lan | morestomach May 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

all i know is: this conversation was amazing. so does that put me in the always support 2.0 camp or into your camp?

• movita beaucoup May 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I’m starting to think 2.0’s fan base is getting outta control…

4. ibreatheimhungry May 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

gorgeous cake, and I LOVE the egg photo! The 2.0: followed by a blank space really cracked me up too – great post!

• movita beaucoup May 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Thanks! I took that egg photo for my baking school portfolio. Eggs = awesome.

5. musingmar May 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

Such a beautiful cake, and the star-shaped decorations are a whimsical touch. I have a set of 6-inch pans too, so it’s good to have a frosting recipe that’s just the right amount! Stunning photographs, and totally confounding conversation! So fun to have the chance to ‘eavesdrop’!

6. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 13, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Cute story and a lovely cake.

7. Jen @JuanitasCocina May 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

It was the velour suit that would have done him in for me…I mean…if I liked dudes and all.

• movita beaucoup May 15, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Velour suits are the number one reason not to like dudes. I’m pretty sure that’s a statistical fact…

• Eggton May 18, 2013 at 8:45 am #

I know a lady in Alabama who wears velour leisure suits. She’s rolling in money but I saw her at the grocery store buying a $6 bottle of wine in tennis shoes and a velour leisure suit that she probably borrowed from a dude. It was the best grocery store sighting since the time I thought I saw the dude who played Inigo Montoya at the Whole Foods in Manhattan.

8. Renee May 13, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

It’s official. I need more sprinkles in my life. And def not a dude in a leisure suit.

9. Maia@semiswede May 14, 2013 at 3:48 am #

I had no idea raw eggs could be so photogenic!

I need some star sprinkles.

10. Teresa May 14, 2013 at 6:05 am #

I’ve only just stumbled across your blog posts… And I just have to say you are hysterical! not to mention bloody brillant writer. I was peeing myself reading this story and your tutorial on aged painting. You would fit in Australia like a house on fire! Thanks for making me laugh….

• movita beaucoup May 15, 2013 at 8:26 am #

Thanks, Teresa!! Maybe I should move to Australia…

11. shannon May 14, 2013 at 8:17 am #

you know how much i love a six-inch cake. and sprinkles – especially the balls/bars/stars custom mix you have going up there – I’m actually going to make a “movita mix” of sprinkles and keep it in my pantry because of this post.
    I enjoy 2.0’s use of descriptive phrasing in the above conversation. I’ve had similar with Mr. Table, and when we get to the “what does he look like” question (following his “like a dude” response, i always ask if he’s cute. To which Mr. Table gets very blustery and is all “how am i supposed to know? HE LOOKS LIKE A GUY!!! I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU EVEN WANT ME TO SAY TO THAT!!!!”
    solution: “Mr. Table, please ask any of the ladies you work with if THEY think he is cute.” IT WORKS.

• movita beaucoup May 15, 2013 at 8:24 am #

I’ve also been hand tinting sprinkles – it’s so much fun! There’s just something about those little things that makes everything better.

Basically, I’ve decided to devote the next 20 years of my life to sprinkles.

• shannon May 23, 2013 at 9:23 am #

omg: our life plans are EXACTLY THE SAME.

• Anonymous May 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

“Basically, I’ve decided to devote the next 20 years of my life to sprinkles.”
        This might be the best thing I’ve ever read, and I read a lot.

12. shannon May 14, 2013 at 8:21 am #

better yet: have the lady he asks send you an email directly regarding the hotness of said dude, because we all know men can NOT relay information correctly. It’s like asking a zebra to recite poetry.

• movita beaucoup May 15, 2013 at 8:22 am #

This would be a brilliant idea if he worked with any women. (bangs head on counter…)

• shannon May 24, 2013 at 7:55 am #

oh god.

13. Amy May 14, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Aw, I hope this cake was at least as good the second day! And that you caught up on sleep. And that your job is going well!!! I can’t believe you’re working in a bakery…SO EXCITING!!! I hope you leave those little ballerinas cupcake toppers in random spots around the bakery for people to find 😉

14. bakerbynature May 16, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Sprinkles! And Icing! And Butter…! I just love you.

15. Ashley Bee May 16, 2013 at 11:41 am #

I suuuuck at frosting cakes and my buttercream comes out goopy. I need to learn the ways of the cake.

16. Dan from Platter Talk May 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Wow. How can anyone look at this post and not want to take their finger and scrape up some of that frosting?! Beautifully done and delicious looking!

17. Stacy May 24, 2013 at 1:22 am #

I didn’t know they still MADE velour leisure suits! What a narrow escape. Men are never good matchmakers. That little cake, on the other hand, would be perfect to woo the perfect mate. So pretty!

18. Melissa@EyesBigger May 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I haven’t laughed this hard in a long while. I needed that. thanks. And yes, there is a line – and velour leisure suits is it.

19. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen May 28, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Hahaha.. I think I dated that guy once (about 30 years ago;) Seriously you’re so funny, it made my day, Movita.. and so did this icing, I want to just make a batch and get a spoon and eat it. Ok, I should make the cake too:) xx

20. Karen..Natalie's mother-in-law May 16, 2015 at 12:34 am #

I could not live without your stories!

• movita beaucoup May 16, 2015 at 7:29 am #

Squeeeeeeal! Thanks, Karen!!

21. Karen May 16, 2015 at 1:29 am #

Sprinkles are the Best!

22. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:30 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in May 2013. Thanks for stopping by!

1. Cute Cakes: Goldilocks Chocolate Chip Cake | Whisks & Words - May 15, 2013

[…] cakes. Think of the topper of a wedding cake. No one makes a cake that small on purpose (except movita beaucoup, perhaps, but she’s a super legit baking goddess). When I got the Joy the Baker cookbook, I […]

2. Sprinkle Cake for Ada…and a go-to dairy-free chocolate cake recipe - January 21, 2014

[…] You can find the recipe for the perfect amount of buttercream for a six inch cake here.  Again, for a dairy free version I used Earth Balance instead of butter, almond milk instead of regular milk, and left out the cream cheese (sadly, because I’m sure it would be awesome.  If you know of any great dairy-free cream cheese substitutes, I’m all ears!). […]