easy summer pasta {crap no. 3}

easy summer pasta | movita beaucoup

Here’s some more crap I’ve been meaning to tell you about:

Summer has finally hit here in Nova Scotia. After about 40 days straight of rain, it’s hot and humid. Naturally, the first hot day in ages prompted the ancient boiler at the dance studio to kick in at full tilt, and the radiators blasted heat for several hours. That means the studio was approximately 400°C (1000000°F) last night, and smelled like leg sweat. I burst into flames midway through the first class.

easy summer pasta | movita beaucoup

There are spiders everywhere in our yard, which means I’m going to have to stay inside this summer. It’s a shame, really, because our gardens are pretty awesome this year.

I’m obsessed with Candy Crush. I was stuck on Level 29 for freakin’ ever, stonewalled by the son-of-a-bleepin’ Candy Crush Clock (a spirit-squashing system which forces you to wait 30 minutes between rounds). Naturally, I did what any other addict would do, and got 2.0 hooked. Now he’ll say things like, “slow down, that’s why you’re not getting the level,” and I want to kill him dead.

I injured my back buying strawberries at the grocery store. Actually, it happened somewhere between the parking lot and home. Whenever I move the wrong way, I yell, “ouch, my strawberry injury,” really loudly, so people will know how much I’m suffering. It mostly just hurts when I breathe though, so I should be fine.

easy summer pasta | movita beaucoup

I got a new camera – the Canon 7D. I’ve named it Alice. One day I’ll actually figure out how to use it, and then Life magazine will probably want me to do a spread.

Twice this week I’ve gone out to fetch laundry from the line and mistaken a neighbour’s tabby cat on our deck for a raccoon. That means that on two separate occasions I’ve screamed as loudly as I did when I completed Level 29 on Candy Crush. Which, incidentally, is loud enough to make the people in my neighbourhood think I’m being bludgeoned to death.

Speaking of cats: do your cats jack your facebook page in the middle of the night? Maybe you need PawSense.

cat-like-typing-detected

(image via BitBoost)

PawSense will help you cat-proof your computer. It “quickly detects and blocks cat typing,” because “they can enter random commands and data, damage your files, and even crash your computer. This can happen whether you are near the computer or have suddenly been called away from it.” Now, I’m not sure what kind of doofus would stand there watching a cat delete precious family photos from a hard-drive, but man, I’m suddenly getting called away from my computer all the time! This super-sophisticated technology “keeps the cat from entering lots of commands to your programs or operating system.” Cripes, cats are getting smarter every day! According to the FAQ page… well, just go to the FAQ page. It’s pretty awesome.

I’m obsessed with this video. You should watch it. Skip ahead to the 4:50 mark if you’re short on time, but the whole thing is pretty awesome.

This here recipe is for the easiest pasta ever. Perfect for a summer’s day when you’d rather be taking in a sunset dozen beers than slaving over a stove. Fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil. It’s like your garden got off its arse and made dinner for you. You can make this pasta with any sort of tomatoes, really. I’ve made it with heirloom, cherry, grape, roma, plum, vine… Simple, fresh, delicious.

So easy, a computer-savvy cat could make it.

easy summer pasta | movita beaucoup

Easy Summer Pasta – print and have your cat make this for you

• 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 5-6 medium sized tomatoes, diced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely (about 1 tablespoon or more)
  • healthy pinch salt and pepper
  • 375 gram package of linguine (or other pasta)
  • freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)

Mise en place – begin by getting organized. Measure out all of your ingredients.

In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, tomatoes (seeds, juices and all), garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, and toss with the awaiting ingredients in the bowl.

Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

42 Responses to easy summer pasta {crap no. 3}

1. themessybakerblog July 5, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

I’m stuck on level 35. I want to murder my phone and my husband. He acts like a 5 year old, taunting me about how he’s on level 85 or some crap. I want to slug my iPhone right at his head. Spiders… Eww! I’m not a fan. This summer pasta looks so simple and delicious.

• movita beaucoup July 7, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Because we refuse to pay for anything, 2.0 and I have been stuck on quests for three days waiting to unlock the next levels. IT HAS BEEN TORTURE.

2. wannabeabaker July 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Hi Movita….I’ll say it again…(well, if I haven’t said it before)…your blog rocks!! I honestly have to say I love “blog jumping”. It’s wonderful to get ideas from “real” people who share their own “well, I burnt this the first time-so here is what I figured out to do”-See-we can now let other people burn (blow up, make it unedible, loss friends over food poisoning..) the food first…and then teach us the RIGHT way to do it! I learn how to cook good food and I didn’t lose friends in the process! BUT-you have got to be the best (in blogging that is-not poisoning people) on the web-if not in the top 3. Your so honest-so-well, yeah-normal. Haven’t we all had strawberry injuries?? Also, Movita-in addition to learning how to cook, sharing a good laugh and a damn I’ve been there moment-I also learned how to distress and antique furniture-ALL IN ONE PLACE! I haven’t been through your whole blog-but I have a feeling that there are pages on how to make your own shoes and ways to deflea your cat!! Speaking of cats-I gotta get Pawsense-I know my darn cats are up to something no good. Anywho. Thank you Movita-keep it real 🙂

3. Lan | morestomach July 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

congrats on your new camera! i am so jealous. though, technically, i’m a Nikon girl but i would like a new camera regardless.

also, i’m on level 65 on candy crush. i’ve been on this level for about a week. i went through a phase, in the beginning where i would not allow myself to advance to the next level until i got 3 stars. now i will be dag on happy if i could get past 65. dw is on level 160something right now and he laments about how hard the levels are and i want to toss my phone at his face but i can’t, BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO GET PAST LEVEL 65!!!!

PS. what in the hell does LEG SWEAT SMELL LIKE? LEGS SWEAT???? i’m gagging.

• movita beaucoup July 7, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Maybe you should set up a wedding registry to get a new Nikon. Or some other sort of crowd sourcing type deal? I mean, do you need more towels? No. Do you NEED a new camera? Of course.

When you are dancing, most of you sweats – no surprise. In the summer, as the heat and humidity rise, parts of your body that you forgot could sweat, sweat. Your disgusting body will make the dance studio smell like a giant armpit. It is most unfortunate. And totally gag-worthy.

4. Allison (Spontaneous Tomato) July 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I second Lan’s congrats on your new camera! New cameras are so fun and frustrating and exciting all at once. Also, these photos are gorgeous! (I guess I am a sucker for any photos with beautiful, shiny, multi-colored tomatoes in the background… or foreground… or chopped up in pasta.)

I am a newer reader here than over at Eggton’s, but I’d say your blog ties with Eggton for the entertainingest!

5. Stacy July 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

If only I had a garden that would make dinner for me. I arrived back in Dubai from a few weeks in the US to discover that the rosemary is fine but the basil, oregano, thyme and mint have passed on. God rest their formally green souls. I had been told not to plant mint because it takes over. Liars.

Your pasta looks very fresh and tasty. Just the thing with summer tomatoes. I don’t have cats and Beso rarely attempts to use the laptop but I have passed on the link to a friend who can surely use your advice. My good deed for the day. Thank you.

6. Jenni Field (@PastryChfOnline) July 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

You are the hilariousest. But I’m sorry about your back. And the heat. And the spiders.

We have some lovely grape and pear tomatoes, and I had planned something very similar to this for our dinner tonight! For real! I hadn’t thought to ask the cats to make it; I shall check with them.

Great video, too. Thank you for sharing it!

Have fun with the new camera. If you want, I shall write to Life Magazine on your behalf. =)

7. mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry July 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

This post had me cracking up earlier in the long line at the McDonald’s drive thru waiting for my iced coffee! That cat thing? It’s genious! Our cat makes a bed out of Mr. Hungry’s laptop ALL THE TIME and I just looked over and there she is – I’d submit photo proof if I could! Most of the time we remember to shut it, but when we don’t she just curls up right on top of the keys and eventually if I don’t find her and kick her off in time, there is scary loud beeping and weird noises that come from it. And even that doesn’t deter her, she’ll sleep right through it. So this family will definitely be downloading Pawsense – thanks for that public service you’re doing by spreading the word! Spiders = bad. Strawberries = good, except when they kick you in the back. I’m with Lan – leg sweat scent sounds disgusting. Also, I have so far avoided playing Candy Crush in spite of multiple invites, but I’m feeling the pull thanks to this post, so I may actually take it up in which case I’ll have you to thank/hate for it. I will thus have to email you personally every time I pass a level (or don’t). Goodbye free time, all five minutes of it….

8. lorrielorrieb July 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

Damn you candy crush! I think it will be the demise of the civilized world! Or at the very least break up a bunch of people! I was stuck on level 35 for ages so I asked the Chef if he wanted a go at it on my iPad to see if he could bust the level for me. This was while we were on holiday and so then he had is face in the damn iPad for the rest of the week! Since we’ve been home it has caused many arguments until finally I have had to resort to hiding iPad and told him I deleted the game. But in truth, I am now at level 65. Soon there were be 12 step groups for it!

• movita beaucoup July 7, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Sometimes I worry that Candy Crush will destroy 2.0 and I.

And then I remember that it would be totally worth it.

9. musingmar July 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Pawsense! Almost makes me want to get another cat. Almost got one the other night … My screen door has some flaws, in that animals can walk through it. Heard a noise the other night, late, and there was a cat in my office with me. I screamed. It left. I felt foolish. Wish I’d had some of that ‘garden off it’s arse’ (I do declare, you make me laugh) pasta to settle myself down!

10. The Baking Lawyer July 5, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

thanks for the video … needed it today!

11. Juls July 6, 2013 at 12:03 am #

I think I need Pawsense – not for the cats, but because type pretty sloppily at times and my act needs straightening up.

12. Sharon July 6, 2013 at 2:31 am #

I was going to leave you a complimentary comment, but Pawsense prevented me. You should have thought about that, Ms. Smartypants. xxoo Sharon’s Cat p.s. strawberry injury. Good one!

13. Food,Photography & France July 6, 2013 at 3:10 am #

Great pasta, great post.

14. mostlynoodles July 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

I actually don’t know what Candy Crush is (although research will commence shortly while eating this pasta), but I am now obsessed with Pawsense….. It seems however that Mac owners have better behaved cats….

• movita beaucoup July 7, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Sadly, no. We are an Apple household. Our cats are total slobs.

15. Renee July 6, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

What is it with cats and the computer? Finally a solution! Thanks for the the heads up. Also, your pasta looks all amazing like. Glad summer has finally hit in you in the face, but boo to your boiler issues. Hope it gets sorted before the next class. Nothing worse than leg sweat.

16. Jas@AbsolutelyJas July 7, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Oooh. Do they have a similar app for puppies and iPads? I snapped a photo of my dog who had fallen asleep on my iPad after managing to navigate to ‘the Voice’ homepage and a video of one of the (aussie) contestants, Danny Ross. I instagrammed it (of course!), and now have instagram stalkers asking me if I know Danny. Yep. My dog’s iPad usage has gained me stalkers. Ridiculous!

17. Choc Chip Uru July 7, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Haha so many people have tried to make me candy crush but if I did, I would fail my exams this years haha
    This was such a brilliant post and that video made me smile!
    I hope the spiders don’t come too close to you and hope your back feels better soon! 🙂
    Lovely summery pasta, so refreshing and delicious!

Cheers
    CCU

18. Isabelle @ Crumb July 7, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Psssh… Halifax summertime weather is like Halifax traffic – it only seems bad until you’ve experienced the Toronto version. (Of course, the inverse applies to lobster rolls, dive bars and beaches, all of which are WAY better out east.)
    Also, big huge spiders make me scream like a little girl. Thankfully, we don’t seem to have many this year, but I think that’s just because they’re hiding out until I have big tomato plants. For some odd reason, I always end up with humongous spiders in my tomato plants. Ugh.

19. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen July 8, 2013 at 12:13 am #

I can just picture you spinning pirouettes round faster and faster and your point shoes bursting into flames.. I didn’t know legs could smell?? Feet yes.. but my legs, good lord, I hope I haven’t exposed my family to this unknowingly:D Love your pretty, pretty pasta dish.. it’s just the sort of dinner I love most because of the fresh garden flavors. I’m off to see your Ted Talk now! Have an awesome week! xx

20. shannon July 8, 2013 at 8:00 am #

i won’t even let myself play candy crush because i KNOW i will become obsessed with it. and quite frankly, i don’t need anything else to be obsessed with (because i obsess over so many things.) great….and now i’m thinking of playing candy crush.
    omg…leg sweat. class dismissed.
    i need to make that pasta. just because everyone has by now and i really feel like i’m missing out.
    i love this video; i can’t even tell you how many times i’ve watched it, but it’s a great way to begin the day, so thank you. 🙂

• movita beaucoup July 12, 2013 at 7:26 am #

Don’t play Candy Crush. IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE.

Or so I’ve heard.

21. glutenfreezen July 8, 2013 at 9:43 am #

I wish you were my next door neighbor, I would never have another boring day..EVER! ha! Sounds like you’ve invented hot ballet, which by the way is leaps and bounds above hot yoga.

The pasta looks fabulous. I’ll have to make it when my husband is out of town because he thinks slathering all of his food in mountains of sauce is a must.

LOVED the video, brought tears to my eyes. 🙂

• movita beaucoup July 12, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I’m liking the concept of Hot Ballet. I’m going to use it to make my dancers feel better as they melt in the humidity…

We would be the best of neighbours. THE BEST.

22. Willow July 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

I don’t even know where to begin… this entire post is just incredible. I love that video! And the PawSense thing is just hilarious. I have had many a cat-typing mishap that it could have saved me from. I bet it works for small children, too. Also, jealous of your new camera! I keep thinking about an upgrade, but it will probably be a little while still. As for the pasta, a love to keep things simple, and this sounds perfect for the summer. I’m actually eating a big bowl of pasta with pesto right now… yum! Oh, and I hope your strawberry injury gets better… those strawberries can be dangerous!

23. Ashley Bee July 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

I’ve avoided Candy Crush, but I’m all into Scramble. I am late to the game on many things. The cat proof typing thingie is perfect for me, my little Finn likes to crawl all over my when I’m on my laptop.

24. natalie @ wee eats July 11, 2013 at 12:28 am #

SPIDERS?! Sorry, I just really wanted to use caps to express my emotions.

I’m the designated spider-killer in this house. Aaron screams like a tiny little girl when he sees them, no matter how small. I would totally come and kill your spiders for you!

My Candy Crush addiction has died down significantly, since I’ve reached what I’m pretty sure is an impossible level. I say that about every level when I get to it, but this one I barely even bother playing anymore. So, consider this your warning, Level 208, unbeatable. I mean, maybe beatable if I didn’t refuse to buy power-ups and didn’t only play on my phone, but still. When you get there, you’ll see. I’ve been stuck for like 80-some days.

Also, I died over your strawberry injury. I may get a Movita injury from laughing so hard. I hope that you also shake your fist whilst yelling, “CURSE YOU, STRAWBERRIES!” and when you get old you can tell your grandkids that “Oh, that’s just the old ‘strawberry injury’ acting up.” 🙂 But seriously, back injuries are so bad! Luckily, it only hurts when you breathe, so I’m sure you can barely tell it’s there! I assume it’s improved by dancing?

I totally need to cat-proof the lappy, although luckily she prefers just to lay on my hands WHILE I’m trying to type, as opposed to just clumsily prancing around on top of the keyboard.

Fresh veggie pasta really is the best for the summer, too, isn’t it?

• movita beaucoup July 12, 2013 at 7:24 am #

Candy Crush is going to kill me. I’m sure of it.

(And then the spiders will feed on my body.)

25. Amy July 11, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Ok, I HATE SPIDERS!!! Oh sorry, I’m not supposed to yell. But I really really hate them. Also, I’ve been seriously addicted to Candy Crush for the last few weeks and I’m up to level 60 something. My obsession is bordering on ridiculous and it keeps me up every night…thank goodness they limit the amount of lives you have or I fear I’d never go to sleep. And your pasta looks awesome and perfect for summer!

• movita beaucoup July 12, 2013 at 7:23 am #

I am currently stuck on a Candy Crush quest (because I refuse to pay to advance). I will probably die here.

26. Donalyn@The Creekside Cook July 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

This is my favorite kind of pasta – easy and so fresh tasting! I’m not a big fan of spiders either – ew!

• movita beaucoup July 14, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Oh, Donalyn! You should know that yesterday I saved a teeny tiny spider from my crafting room! I scooped it up on a very long piece of paper and released it in our garden. I felt very virtuous despite yelling, “don’t come any closer, don’t come any closer,” during the rescue mission.

27. Emily Smith // The Best of this Life July 12, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

I love fresh pasta dishes like this – they are perfection, just like yours. And Alice, well, she sounds lovely! (The 7D is one nice camera!!)

• movita beaucoup July 14, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Oh, I think Alice and I are going to be friends for a very long time…

28. gottagetbaked July 15, 2013 at 2:14 am #

I refuse to play Candy Crush because I know that I’ll become obsessed and will forego things like showering or brushing my teeth in order to continue playing. “That means the studio was approximately 400°C (1000000°F) last night, and smelled like leg sweat” <– I tried hot yoga once and the entire time I was in the room, it smelled like feet. I wanted to die. Other things that make me want to die: spiders. I'm absolutely phobic. One time I was home alone and there was a spider on the wall. I couldn't even get close enough with it to vacuum so I watched it for two hours until someone came home. As for this pasta: love. It's the perfect summer meal!

29. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:41 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in July 2013. Thanks for stopping by!

1. Easy Summer Pasta | 3CityGirlsNyc - July 8, 2013

[…] easy summer pasta […]

2. Easy Summer Dinner Recipes — Eat Well 101 - July 11, 2013

[…] For Food 2. Miss Shortcake-Gordough’s Donuts by:  Ohsweetbasil 3. Easy summer pasta by: Movita Beaucoup 4. Watermelon And Cucumber Cooler by: Zoom […]