blueberry buttermilk sherbet

blueberry buttermilk sherbet | movita beaucoup

Ah, summer. The lazy, hazy days of the sunny season. A time for cookouts, leg shaving and, for some of you, sports.

You should know that the Beaucoups are not an athletically inclined family. We are a short, pale tribe, and we don’t like running (unless absolutely required). My brother, Adopamop, is the one notable exception. He’s taller than the rest of us, and seems less intimidated by athletic wear.

That said, all Beaucoup children were strongly encouraged to spend summers trying to be more athletic. There was bike riding. Some ill-advised tennis lessons. And swimming – there were lots of swimming lessons. Bill and Rosie Beaucoup felt it was very important that we know how to survive in a water emergency, and didn’t want our lives to be limited by a fear of free-stylin’ in the ocean. Yachting and cocktail parties by the pool were to be no trouble for a Beaucoup child.

blueberry buttermilk sherbet | movita beaucoup

Being rather petite children, we did not fair well in the frigid waters of the local outdoor aquatic centre. I have vivid memories of standing poolside early in the mornings, purple lipped and shaking uncontrollably. I also remember paying very close attention to the information provided on the HELP position – Heat Escape Lessening Posture. This is a life-saving technique which involves drawing your limbs in close to the body to prevent the loss of heat from your armpits and… groin. Now, Rosie Beaucoup felt very badly that we were shivering during our quest to become Olympic athletes, and employed the lesser known heat retaining position, SINK – Swaddled In Nordic Klothing. In this method, the frozen child is bundled up in clothing such as sweatshirts or sweaters to keep them warm in the water. This method also makes the child about eight times heavier, thus making the child work about ten times harder to stay afloat/alive, and as a result, the child is less chilled.

I did not become an Olympic swimmer.

blueberry buttermilk sherbet | movita beaucoup

I’m going to assume that you aren’t shivering right now. I’m going to assume that your armpits and groin might require cooling, and that you aren’t currently employing the HEAT position. I’m also going to assume that you might, in fact, be sweating profusely, and that you might like an icy treat. This sherbet is made with blueberries and buttermilk. It is smooth, sweet and incredibly easy to make. Did you know that blueberries are good for your cardiovascular system? That’s got to improve your performance in the pool.

Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

recipe: from Martha Stewart Living, July 2013

print and make

Yields about 3-4 cups.

• 1.5 pints (about 3 cups) fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mise en place – begin by getting organized. Measure out all of your ingredients. Be sure that the bowl of your ice cream maker has been frozen. Chill a loaf pan (or storage container of your choice) for at least 10 minutes.

Purée blueberries and sugar in a blender until smooth. You could also use an immersion blender or a food processor – keep an eye on the fill-line of your food processor, you don’t want blueberry purée exploding over your kitchen.

Pour the purée through a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing the liquid out with a spatula; discard the solids. Stir in the buttermilk, lemon zest, and vanilla.

Chill a loaf pan in freezer at least 10 minutes. Freeze and churn blueberry mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions, then transfer to the chilled pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until hardened, at least 2 hours. Sherbet can be made and frozen up to 2 weeks ahead.

46 Responses to blueberry buttermilk sherbet

1. chagrinnamontoast July 15, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Beautiful! And perfect for the weather!

2. Anonymous July 15, 2013 at 8:12 am #

You can assume I am chuckling right now, and definitely not chilled. Also that I am wondering if this might be the one, the ONLY occasion on which I voluntarily go out and buy buttermilk. Stay tuned…

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 6:47 am #

I really hope you bought buttermilk.

3. Emmalina July 15, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Being British I don’t have a groin and being a lady I don’t sweat, I glow. Right now I’m glowing like a bearch because it is like the surface of the sun round here meaning I’ll be living in the fridge for the next week, occasionally passing out food to my children to take to their early morning swimming lessons. Summer is here at last!

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 7:09 am #

Last night, the studio was hotter than the surface of the sun. But I didn’t sweat. I GLOWED.

4. musingmar July 15, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Oh Movita, this is so lovely! I went blueberry picking yesterday, and we got 13 pounds. I’ve already made 8 jars of jam. Jam making involves a lot of steam, from the canning kettle and from me. I sure could use some of that sherbet! I figure I have 8 pounds of berries left at this point. That’s a lot of sherbet. (PS – my brother and I took swimming lessons briefly as children; they were discontinued because we, too, looked somewhat blueberry sherbet-like in the cold water.)

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 7:20 am #

When we were kids, I can remember standing in fields of berries, picking pounds of them for my mother. Lots of jam and frozen treats! 2.0 have been thinking we should do some u-picking this summer. (But then we usually think about how hot it is in fields, and how lazy we are…)

• musingmar July 18, 2013 at 12:06 am #

It is indeed hot in the berry fields! This may sound most unladylike, but I have never sweat so much in my life as Monday when I returned to pick raspberries. It was much hotter than Sunday when we picked the blueberries. And then I came home and made jam! But, I loved the experience and can hardly wait to go back. TMI?

5. Lan | morestomach July 15, 2013 at 11:56 am #

as always, your childhood stories are so charming.
    and i think being a ballerina is plenty athletic.

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 7:20 am #

Thanks, Lan. I’m going to ballet someone to death later today.

6. Stacy July 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

A friend and I were just reminiscing, and it wasn’t fondly, about swimming lessons at our neighborhood public pool. They made you walk through a foot bath full of chlorine and a shower (no way to avoid either because the only way in was a ceiling high revolving gate) to even get in the pool area. After that, the pool, with its relatively lower level of chlorine, was bliss. Until the coach came out and started shouting. Let’s not even go there. Let’s go towards the light. That beautiful shining orb of blueberry buttermilk sherbet. Ah, all better now.

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 7:32 am #

I forgot about the decontamination stations!!

(shudder.)

7. Dana Staves July 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Well, add this to the list of reasons I need an ice cream maker. Gorgeous photos! I’m not athletically inclined either, though I keep trying to make myself into that girl by getting lost on hiking trails. When will I learn?

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Never. That’s why I own so many pairs of yoga pants. Dream the dream!!

8. juanitascocina July 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

It’s cold here in Texas. It’s been raining for two days. I’m so unathletic that I won’t even go out in the rain because that would require extra effort.

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2013 at 8:09 am #

Dear Jen,

Let’s agree not to put extra effort into anything.

Sincerely,
      movita

9. mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry July 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Looks refreshing and gorgeous! Also, are those lilacs in the background? Because if they are I’m super jealous since they are long gone by now where we live! Swimming fully clothed? That should be an olympic sport in itself. I think your Candy Crush addiction is all about escaping your memories of the past – and now I know why! You poor dear….

• movita beaucoup July 18, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Though our lilacs came out a little late this year, I took these photos a about three weeks ago! Sadly, ours our gone now too, but we’ve got lots of other stuff exploding in the garden!

Candy Crush is going to kill me.

10. natalie @ wee eats July 16, 2013 at 12:29 am #

OHHH MG, adorable. and hilarious.
    I love you
    and this sherbert looks AMAZING. Decadent and refreshing all at once.

11. gottagetbaked July 16, 2013 at 2:21 am #

I would’ve fit in easily with the Beaucoup children in my younger years. Hell, I’m pretty damn useless now – I can’t swim, bike, or skate. I can barely climb a set of stairs without wheezing. But I CAN follow instructions and make your blueberry buttermilk sherbet so it’s a win for me! Y’all can have your yachting and parties by the pool. I’ll be enjoying this gorgeous treat inside my air conditioned apartment!

• movita beaucoup July 18, 2013 at 9:42 am #

Don’t get me started on skating…

{http://movitabeaucoup.com/2012/04/09/a-tale-of-shattered-dreams-and-also-quinoa-salad/}

12. Ashley Bee July 16, 2013 at 10:12 am #

At least you learned to swim–I never did 🙁 Though I’m trying to learn!

Also I am FREEZING right now–office AC is frigid. I need the HEAT position I believe.

Oh and lovely ice cream 😉 Never used buttermilk in ice cream, I should though!

• movita beaucoup July 18, 2013 at 9:43 am #

I must say, I’m grateful to know how to swim!

Of course, I refuse to wear a bathing suit, so there are other problems…

13. Choc Chip Uru July 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

It may be cold in Aus but it would not stop me from making this delicious ice cream 😀

Cheers
    CCU

P.S Because of my exams, I will not be commenting for around 4 weeks – see you afterwards!

14. Amy July 16, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

A time for leg shaving, eh? Nate was just horrified to notice how hairy my legs were yesterday. Am I the only one that goes like almost a week without shaving them? (You don’t want to know how long I go without shaving in the winter). This sherbet looks like a great treat for a hot day. I love the tang of buttermilk so I think I would totally love this 🙂

• movita beaucoup July 18, 2013 at 9:47 am #

I’m not sure how I feel about your legs, Amy.

Maybe frightened?

• Amy July 18, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Hahaha. I wouldn’t do it if my hair was noticeable. Luckily you can only notice if you’re up close.

• wendy@chezchloe August 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Come to Orcas Island. You’ll fit right in:-)

15. shannon July 18, 2013 at 8:18 am #

it is scientifically impossible for me to like this post anymore than i do. I’m not sure if it’s our equivalent athletic abilities (we don’t have an Adoptamop to show us up, but even still, my sister and i know we aren’t sport-friendly) or how much i would love to cool off my body with blueberry buttermilk sherbet. I made a lemon one last year, and buttermilk will never, ever be the same to me. I had no idea it could be so perfect when frozen. it is lovely.

• movita beaucoup July 18, 2013 at 9:47 am #

We should plan some sort of non-athletic Olympics! It would be very low key, and involve a lot of carb loading…

16. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes July 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

My tribe is tall, tanned and very athletically inclined, with the notable exception of myself. I prefer sitting at the picnic table, feasting on Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet, and assuring myself that I got the better end of the deal. This sherbet is GORGEOUS.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 6:53 am #

We did get the better end of the deal, Meagan. No one likes a show off. Everyone likes someone who brings the food…

17. AweMazing Mom July 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

I am baffled yet intrigued by the buttermilk in this recipe. I just added it to my shopping list, we shall see! It looks AweMazing!

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 6:54 am #

I’ve been using buttermilk in a bunch of sherbet experiments over the past two weeks – and it hasn’t let me down yet! Once again, Martha was right…

18. stephbo93 July 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

I’m with Lan– ballet is VERY athletic. So there. And I also happened to follow your post over the running from the bear incident– hilarious!! And the most appropriate, nay, the only appropriate use of running– as an emergency response only. This blueberry sherbet looks perfect for a hot summer day. If I ever buy an ice cream maker, I’ll make it. Until then, it’s going on my Pinterest board so I can look at it and drool.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 6:54 am #

One should never run unless being chased.

I live by those words.

19. emma July 20, 2013 at 8:53 am #

I never pictured you as short.

• emma September 23, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

DAMMIT I read this one. I was focused on the blueberries.

20. Eggton July 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

The only thing I ever liked about swim team was the city-wide meet. After consistently waterboarding myself while trying to complete the 50 meter backstroke, I’d get to join the parents at the yearly potluck. I couldn’t hear anything because my ears were stuffed with water, which meant I got to eat 100 different things in peace. Best meal of the year.

21. Jennie July 25, 2013 at 10:42 am #

You poor dear. If it makes you feel any better, my mom did the same thing to us kids. All we wanted to do is stay home and play bakery in the sandbox, but no, we had to take tennis lessons. This sherbet looks so refreshing.

22. wendy@chezchloe August 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

Loving it. So much actually I just did about the same myself- but try this… i infused the buttermilk (and some cream) with basil. And I used about 6 yolks. Ok really it was a custard based ice cream… but we shared in the buttermilk and blueberries:) Beautiful photos.

23. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:41 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in July 2013. Thanks for stopping by!

1. Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet Recipe - August 19, 2013