a bride’s cake

a bride's cake | movita beaucoup

Here’s a wee cake I made for Heather, a former student and generally awesome gal. Heather’s getting married in August and asked me to make her wedding cake. SHE WANTED IT TOPPED WITH BALLERINAS. But because I don’t have access licensed kitchen (yet), I had to say no. And then I died. But then I became undead when another former student/generally awesome bridesmaid decided that providing a cake and cupcakes for a little pre-wedding gathering would be totally worth living for.

a bride's cake | movita beaucoup

Behold a three layer, six inch chocolate cake, topped with chocolate buttercream frosting and a bridal fairy. The cupcakes were adorned with purple fairies and flowers (the bride’s favourite colour), along with two fairies dressed in black (as the two bridesmaids will be on the big day).

Happy wedding, Heather! I hope your day is epically awesome and filled with monkeys.

fairy cupcakes | movita beaucoup

Have a great weekend, buttercream fiends! Don’t forget to eat some cake…

a bride's cake | movita beaucoup

a bride's cake | movita beaucoup

a bride's cake | movita beaucoup

51 Responses to a bride’s cake

1. Liz July 20, 2013 at 10:46 am #

This cake is beautiful and I’m sure delicious.

2. juanitascocina July 20, 2013 at 10:56 am #

I love fairies. That is all.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 11:40 am #

I always love your comments. That is all.

3. ibreatheimhungry July 20, 2013 at 10:58 am #

That veil? Adorable. Totally makes it! Hope your friend has a beautiful party and wedding! Also, sorry to hear about your undead status. I don’t think there is a greeting card for that…yet.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 11:41 am #

On the plus side, I’m pretty sure zombies are very good at baking.

4. chagrinnamontoast July 20, 2013 at 11:15 am #

This is so sweet!

5. thekalechronicles July 20, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Beautiful cake. But why on earth would you let the lack of a commercial kitchen stop you from making a friend’s wedding cake? Mothers and sisters and grandmothers and aunts have been baking wedding cakes in their own kitchens since time immemorial, or at least since wedding cakes got popular.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 11:40 am #

When catering large events, it’s illegal to do so from a home kitchen. LOTS of people do it, but it’s not a great way to get Sprinkle Toes off on the right foot! Anything considered catering or for cash has to be done in an inspected kitchen – and they’re starting to crack down in these here parts!

• thekalechronicles July 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Sorry — I misunderstood: I thought people baked other people’s wedding cakes out of love (or in lieu of a gift).

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Oh, I’m sure they do! Thus the cake you see up there. (Love.) But when making a cake for 100’s of people, there are legal implications – it is considered catering whether you want to call it that or not. I’ve been doing a lot of research into what is acceptable around here, and it’s all very muddled and confusing. I wish it weren’t so, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Plus, the idea of assembling a massive wedding cake in my wee kitchen? Terrifying!

6. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 20, 2013 at 11:23 am #

What a lovely cake. I’m sure everyone enjoyed it, especially since you had to become undead to make it. 🙂

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Maureen, I always go above and beyond…

7. Monica July 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Beautiful! Ballerina-topped cakes were my ultimate favs as a kid. My mom and I would go into my hometown bakery and I’d stare longingly at the ballerina cakes. When my mom asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday, of course it had to be one of these beauties…with chocolate please.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

This is why my future baking business will be so heavily based on ballet themed cakes: THEY ARE AWESOME. Also, sprinkles are the bomb.

Now I’m wondering if you liked the doll cakes – you know, the ones with the Barbie in ’em? I hear they’re making a comeback!

8. spree July 20, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

oh oh oh! perhaps i should marry my husband again!

9. Mama's Gotta Bake July 20, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

What an awesome cake, I’m sure everyone loved it! I hope Heather’s day was great, and certainly filled with monkeys! Did you mean real ones?

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Um, she REALLY likes monkeys. So, here’s hoping a few show up for the event. (And that they don’t poop on the dance floor.)

10. Eggton July 20, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

SO UNFAIR. I am forging a kitchen license for you right now. Will be in the airmails shortly.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Sometimes I think it’s unfair. And then I remember what some people’s kitchens look like, and I’m okay again.

Maybe send a sheep in the mail instead?

11. trialsinfood July 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

lovely! i’m sure she will be very happy with this cake and cupcakes!

12. natalie @ wee eats July 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Aw! Your cake is so gorgeous!!!

13. cecilia July 20, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

stunnning! c

14. Monique Bartley July 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

This is stunning! I’m in love with the way the frosting isn’t glass smooth, I think it gives it such an adorable rustic feel!

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I’m all about rustic! I believe a cake should make you want to dive into it. (Not peel back layers of fondant to get to the good stuff!)

15. gottagetbaked July 20, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

I love this cake, Movita – that dark, rich frosting is calling my name! I can’t wait until you get your permits and licenses (damn government regulation, although as a lawyer I appreciate your desire to avoid lawsuits). I can only imagine how incredible everything you make will be. I’d have been thrilled to get this gorgeous cake. I hope your friend enjoyed every bite!

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:44 am #

Thanks, friend! I must say, I’m becoming a chocolate cake master. It will probably make me very famous one day. And then I’ll spend weekends with Martha Stewart, and laugh at her when she’s got bits of chocolate stuck in her teeth….

16. Averie @ Averie Cooks July 21, 2013 at 10:19 am #

You made this! You are so talented!!! WOW!!! It’s stunning. It’s too beautiful to even slice into but I bet you did 🙂

I love the bridal fairy on top! So sweet!

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:45 am #

Thanks, Averie! I do believe it was was sliced and enjoyed by a number of women celebrating the event. Chocolate cake is the best…

17. Renee July 21, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Really, really gorgeous. Glad you are still alive! The world needs more cakes like this.

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:46 am #

And candy. The world could always use more candy.

18. Ashley Bee July 22, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

Gorgeous cake, as always 🙂 The cupcakes are adorable!

19. jessieharrold July 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Luuuuurvely! I am going to be making my sister’s wedding cake in a few weeks (please don’t even ask me how I got roped into that one, other than to say, I totally roped MYSELF into that one, because I love to bake and I have a gigantic ego that tells me I can create professional-quality wedding cakes topped with gorgeous succulents ’cause those are totally on Pinterest right now DESPITE the fact that I’m actually not that much of a cake genius at all).
    Okay, so anyways. Suffice to say, I’m inspired. I hope my cake will look even half as lovely as this. Except it’s totally going to be amaretto cake with vanilla pastry cream and banana buttercream. Cross your fingers for me, friend.

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Your sister’s wedding cake sounds AMAZING. I love the flavour combination! Please tell me you’ll be posting pictures when you are done. PLEASE!!

• jessieharrold July 29, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Oh yes, there will be pics! There ARE pics!

20. chindeep3141 July 24, 2013 at 1:30 am #

totally gorgeous! well done 🙂

21. emma July 24, 2013 at 9:56 am #

There must be communal kitchen space you can rent out for a day? That’s what I’ll be doing with my choccie.

• movita beaucoup July 24, 2013 at 10:08 am #

That’s the plan! I’m not quite ready to launch yet, but when I do? Cakes galore!!

22. Jennie July 25, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Those wee little roses are just darling. I can pound some buttercream back. Shh, don’t say anything, but I always save some buttercream after frosting a cake for spatula licking later. It’s what life’s all about.

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:37 am #

If I want buttercream in this house, I have to fight 2.0 for the leftovers.

That’s why I have bulging biceps now.

23. shannon July 26, 2013 at 11:32 am #

a bride who wants a ballerina cake?!? MAGNIFICENT. she obviously has some great taste. I hope katherine gets that forged kitchen license done soon; if it’s good, i need one also.

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:36 am #

Can you even imagine a ballerina wedding cake? Dozens of little fairies all over the cake? Fresh flowers? Soft buttercream? GAH!!

Not to worry – there are lots of kitchens around here that will let me bake – I just have to find the right one. I’m thinking of checking out churches and legions, as then I can also feed old people buttercream. That’s one of my most favourite things to do…

24. Stacy July 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Those are beautiful cupcakes and a gorgeous cake and I would wish cupcakes and cakes like these for every bride. But not monkeys. Trust me. Tell your friend to trust me. When we lived in Malaysia, the monkeys swung from the treetops on a daily basis and tortured the dog by sitting up high, eating fruit and chucking the pits and peels at him. And cackling. They will form a line out your kitchen door and pass out your goods, monkey to monkey, in an organized, efficient manner. They are destructive, horrible creatures, scared off only by air horns and well aimed sling shots. I am not a good aim. I wish your friend a lifetime of fairies and happiness, but nary one monkey.

• movita beaucoup July 28, 2013 at 8:34 am #

My sister has been to Africa three times – her third trip was just a couple of weeks ago. She has similar feelings about monkeys, chimps and baboons (who are major assholes). I’ve heard rumours that there will be barrels of monkeys at Heather’s wedding – the tiny toys that you link together arm in arm. This seems like the best sort of monkey to have at a event such as this, as they are much less likely to grab cake and shove it in your face…

25. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen August 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

This is just so gorgeous! What a lucky bride, movita! How ever did you make those little purple flowers and leaves on the cupcakes? I don’t have a wedding, but I might want to make a few and sit down and eat them all by myself… xx

• movita beaucoup August 4, 2013 at 8:05 am #

I made the flowers and leaves out of fondant. It’s super easy to work with, and you can make anything your heart desires!

26. wendy@chezchloe August 9, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Cecilia totally took the word out of my mouth. Stunning.
    We have a couple of certified kitchens in the hood that people rent out by the hour. Honestly though, the kitchen is one thing. Starting off your career with a cake for hundred’s of people would be quite a stressful undertaking. This offering was the perfect medium to share. Now how about a recipe? xx

27. Anonymous November 4, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Yum. And lovely. Lynne from Design the Life You Want sent me here. What a fun trip. She wants to have din din with you.

28. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:40 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in July 2013. Thanks for stopping by!