birthday cake {recipe for glossy chocolate frosting}

hang on to your hats

Hold on to your hats! It’s time for birthday cake!

I know it’s not your birthday yet, Haddy. But I also know that you’ve got some special visitors tomorrow, and I’ve seen them eat. Odds are, you’ll be too full for cake tomorrow.

I was going to recreate the cake in that photo up there, but lighting Barbie’s crotch on fire just seemed soooo political. After considering a number of options, I settled on this instead:

birthday cake for haddy | movita beaucoup

I know what you’re thinking: it’s not a very fancy cake, especially given that it’s your 40th. I mean, you’d hardly know I went to baking school, would you?

You probably thought I’d make you a 10 layer genoise topped with French buttercream. Or a life-sized dog cake scultped to look exactly like Lucas J. McSnuggles. Perhaps you were expecting 3D replica of one of your book covers.

birthday cake for haddy | movita beaucoup

Alas, none of those options seemed right. A birthday cake, after all, must be carefully selected. For the look on someone’s face when you bring out the perfect cake, and set it before them on a table? Well, that photo at the top of this post does a pretty good job of summing it up. And when you light some candles for someone you love, and then give them a wish? A wish for anything they want? Priceless.

So, I made you a bundt cake. It’s rich and chocolatey. And I topped that bundt cake with a glossy frosting – made with unsweetened chocolate. The frosting is sweet, but not cloyingly so. Then I topped your cake with a few Smarties and lit two candles on your behalf.

I dunno. I took a chance.

THE cake

Make a wish, Haddy!

birthday cake for haddy | movita beaucoup

For the cake, I used this recipe for Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake at Two Peas & Their Pod. It was decadent and easy to make – I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a rich, chocolate bundt cake.

The recipe for the frosting is below. It is rich and chocolatey, and has a lovely creamy texture.

Glossy Chocolate Frosting

print and bake

Yields enough to frost a bundt cake or a two layer 8 inch cake (with no piping).

• 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (4 Baker’s squares)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 cups icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (35% milk fat)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mise en place – begin by getting organized. Measure out all of your ingredients.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium sized saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat.

Add the icing sugar, salt, heavy cream and vanilla and beat with a hand-held electric mixer. Start on low speed and increase to medium speed as the ingredients begin to incorporate. (You could also use a stand mixer, or beat by hand – this will take much longer.) Beat until the frosting is smooth, glossy and of spreading consistency.

Use immediately, and don’t overwork – it will cut down on the gloss. Re-beating the frosting will bring it back to life and add luster should it be required.

29 Responses to birthday cake {recipe for glossy chocolate frosting}

1. Pacific Merchants September 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Looks great! My go-to glossy frosting is just simple whipped ganache. Semi-sweet chocolate, heavy cream and a pinch of salt melted, chilled and whipped. It couldn’t be simpler! This looks delicious. You’re inspiring me to bake!

2. Stacy September 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I ADORE THIS WEEK of birthday posts! Happy birthday to Haddy but yay for your readers! What a great Bundt cake, Movita. That glossy frosting is celebration enough. Never mind the other 38 candles.

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:02 am #

Ya. I mean, who cares that Haddy is officially middle-aged now? Not me!

3. rosewithoutthorns September 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

hey movita… I didn’t understand if you were making the cake for your daughter or someone else, until i read the previous posts, and I think it’s so cute you’re writing these haddy-inspired posts for her birthday. What a lovely present. And she was so cute as a baby! I especially like the photo of her eating raising on the toilet seat a few posts back! Hope she has a wonderful birthday! 🙂

lots of love,
    felicia

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:03 am #

No, Felicia, NO!!! We don’t allow children into our house! Bleck!

But you’re right, she was an adorable child. (And gorgeous grown up.)

4. Anonymous September 11, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Love your blog. It’s so much fun and good food.

5. Lynne Knowlton (@lynneknowlton) September 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

I need birthday cake too. Can I be related to you? I keep begging you, but the adoption papers haven’t happened yet. Whatupwitdat?

I LOVED the smarties part of the post ! You are a real Canuck :). I cracked a comment at the kids yesterday that I love cake like a fat kid on a smartie. Then… they reminded me that my American friends would never understand what a smartie is. Yes, we have those kinds of convo’s in our household. Fat kids on smarties. White on rice. Am I not going to get the mother of the year award again? Drats.

LOVE this cake. Love love love love love love.

Lynne 🙂 xx

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:07 am #

Phfffffft. Mother of the Year? She’s probably horrid. I bet everyone in town hates her. You don’t wanna be her. TRUST me.

About 90% of my readers are American. (I guess Canadians just don’t get me?) I had completely forgotten that they don’t have Smarties! Which is a real shame, because Smarties are my fav!

Also, I’ve had about 400 requests for admission into The Beaucoup Family this week. I think we should just start calling it what it is: a cult.

6. Jennie @themessybakerblog September 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

This is just the sweetest post ever. I want to steal a swipe of that oh so glossy frosting.

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Thanks, Jennie.

Please stop sticking your fingers in the icing.

7. natalie @ wee eats September 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I think I’ve made that cake and it IS easy & SUPER delicious! A glorious cake for any birthday. The pictures, priceless. You’re so adorable. You’re both adorable. Is it too forward to ask your parents to adopt me so that I can be part of your family too? I can bring some baby pictures with me, we’ll just crop you two in!

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:10 am #

As stated above, I’ve had about 400 requests to join The Beaucoup Family/Cult. So… it’s gunna get crowded. You are, however, the only person who has offered to photoshop us…

8. Willow September 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

D’aww, so cute! The cake sounds awesome… I don’t think looks matter hardly as much as cake, and who doesn’t like dark chocolate and smarties? Totally perfect.

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:11 am #

I agree. If the cake tastes good, it’s a winner!!

9. Amy @ Elephant Eats September 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Awww, I love that you reproduced the cake in that photo! Happy Birthday, Haddy!!!

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:11 am #

It’s not a million layer butterscotch cake, Amy, but it’ll do!!

10. Kelly Neil September 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Just when I thought the Haddy posts couldn’t get any better…

11. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 12, 2013 at 4:18 am #

I’m going to see if USA Foods has unsweetened chocolate in yet. They don’t sell it in the supermarkets here.. weird, I know. Lovely cake for Haddy!

• movita beaucoup September 12, 2013 at 6:14 am #

WHAT? Well, you learn something new every day! It’s so handy – though it’s easy enough to sub in semi-sweet or bittersweet. I’ve seen your blog… you don’t seem to be struggling!! xox

12. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen September 12, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

I’m so loving this series of birthday celebrations for your sister. My gosh, she must be bawling every time she sees these photos and reads your sweet words. What a great sis you are!! xx

13. Meagan September 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

I would have submitted my official request to join The Beaucoup Family, but I now know that I don’t need to: I was clearly simply separated from y’all at birth.

Smocked blue birthday jumpers? CHECK.
    Flaming Barbie bits n’ pieces? CHECK.
    A deep affection for glossy chocolate frosting. CHECK. CHECK CHECKROOOOOOOONY.

Happy birthday to Haddy! I’ll see you at the next TBF reunion!

14. shannon September 12, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Day Three: HaddyWeek. Still want very much to be Haddy.

15. ironwoodfarm September 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

2 questions:
    1)Where did the Beaucoups find all that fabulous wallpaper? Every picture in these posts is another mosaic of colour and texture (and flashback).
    2) Is that a Clinch in the “hold on to your hat” photo? It definitely looks like a Clinch.
    Happy (belated) Birthday, Haddy – welcome to your forties.

• movita beaucoup September 29, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Dear Heatherjay,

Rosie Beaucoup has always had a sense of style. She probably crafted that wall paper herself.

Yes, that is a Clinch. I love his expression.

xox movita

16. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:46 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in September 2013. Thanks for stopping by!