ginger 2013

ginger 2013 | movita beaucoup

It’s time! Competitive gingering at its best/worst. GINGER 2013.

How to become a Ginger Champ in Ten Easy Steps:

1. Create a gingerbread house. I don’t like rules, so as long as it is a structure zoned residential, agricultural and/or commercial, I’m happy. Slap up some sort of building, people.

2. Send movita a picture (two maximum) of your super-awesome gingerbread house by Sunday, December 15th. No videos, please. Photos shouldn’t include you/your kids/your pets. Please don’t crash my email – downsize your photos a bit, okay?

3. I’m not kidding about the two photo thing. Send TWO photos. If you send more, I will return your email to you and tell you to pick TWO photos and re-submit your entry. And don’t send me some photo you found online and then claim it as your own. Seriously. I don’t like it when my voice sounds like this.

4. Don’t worry if your house looks like crud. Don’t write to say you shouldn’t have to compete against professional gingerers. Oh, and don’t email to say kids shouldn’t have to compete against adults – it’s good for ’em. If you no like, you no enter.

5. Send your name, email, and any other information you might want included with your entry. Personal information (email, last name, weight) will not be posted. Just your first name, your photos, and the stupid stuff you tell me about your “creative process.”

6. If you’re a blogger, please send a link to your blog. Don’t assume I know who you are. I’m super dumb. Send the URL.

7. If you are aged 13 or under, please let me know. There might be a special prize for one of you. (It’s not fake I.D., don’t get excited.)

8. Watch for a picture of your super-awesome gingerbread house to appear on movita beaucoup. I’ll probably make fun of your house. Deal.

9. Watch people vote/not vote for your super-awesome gingerbread house. Voting will take place Wednesday, December 18th to Friday, December 20th. Winners will be officially announced on Saturday, December 21st.

10. Win the respect and admiration of many. And a prize!

crosby's molasses

This year’s prizes have been sponsored by The Beaucoup Empire (me) and the super-awesome people at Crosby’s. Because nobody loves gingerbread more than Crosby’s! (I’m not kidding. They’re, like, completely bonkers about it.

First Place Prize

first place prize

The First Place Winner will receive a $100.00 US gift certificate to shop online at Bake It Pretty, an autographed copy of Ricardo: Slow Cooker Favourites, by Ricardo Larrivée, a copy of Crosby’s Molasses Family Favourites Cookbook, featuring 80 recipes from the Crosby’s Molasses Kitchen, and a $100 donation on your behalf to Family SOS.

2nd Place Prize

2nd place prize

The Second Place Winner will receive a $50.00 US gift certificate to shop online at Bake It Pretty, a copy of Butter Baked Goods: Nostalgic Recipes from a Little Neighborhood Bakery, by Rosie Daykin, a copy of Crosby’s Molasses Family Favourites Cookbook, featuring 80 recipes from the Crosby’s Molasses Kitchen, and $100 donation on your behalf to Family SOS.

3rd Place Prize

3rd place prize

The Third Place Winner will receive a copy of Butter Baked Goods: Nostalgic Recipes from a Little Neighborhood Bakery, by Rosie Daykin and a copy of Crosby’s Molasses Family Favourites Cookbook, featuring 80 recipes from the Crosby’s Molasses Kitchen.

What’s Family SOS? I’m glad you asked. Family SOS is a non-profit organization that has been working to keep kids safe in Halifax Regional Municipality of Nova Scotia since 1978. Bridget (my bff over at Crosby’s) and I decided that helping some kids in need via the magic of molasses and gingerbread would be waaaaaaay awesome. So, we’re donating money on behalf of this year’s winners to the Healthy Kidz & Healthy Teenz programs, which teach kids about eating right, active living, and cooking. Yup, we’re giving kids cooking lessons! And guys? Some of those kids need all the support they can get. ‘Nuff said.

So, it’s settled. Start decorating your sugar shacks, and send me your photos.

Email photo(s) of your entry to movita{at}live.ca by Sunday, December 15, 2013.

Here’s the link to past competitions.

* * *

Hey! You can say “hi” to Bridget & the Crosby’s crew on  Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or the Crosby’s website. Do it. They be good people. Tell ‘em movita sent cha.

If you’d like to support the programming at Family SOS, you can make donations here. Please let me know if you do. I’d love to send you a really awkward thank you note.

35 Responses to ginger 2013

1. Pacific Merchants November 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

I’m inspired! I make a gingerbread house every year, and I’d love to see if I can use photos of this year’s house for a good cause. I appreciate that you’re making donations to charity at this time of the year. Such a great way to distribute the Christmas spirit!

• movita beaucoup November 14, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

I agree – Bridget/Crosby’s and I feel the same way! I hope to see your entry in my inbox this year!!

2. Eggton November 14, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

YESSSSSS!!!

About two months ago we were driving in the car and Scott turned to me and said “I want to do separate entries this year.” I was like, “that sounds about right but can you give me a context clue?”
    He rolled his eyes like I was a child who was asking him to explain why I was not allowed to get a hamster.

He was talking about Ginger 2013, he said. Eventually.

I AM SO EXCITED!!

• movita beaucoup November 15, 2013 at 7:55 am #

I can’t believe you’ll be competing against Scott.

This is going to be the best Ginger EVER!!!

• shannon November 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

wait a minute: did you two just SPLIT YOUR VOTE?!? *yes* 🙂

3. Melissa November 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

As a thank you for making me smile, giggle and laugh out loud, by myself, alone in my
    apartment, I’ve started off your Family SOS donations. Oh, and I thought I’d help you with
    your ‘awkward’ thank-you note writing too. xo

• movita beaucoup November 15, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Melissa, you’re the best. Lemme tell ya, your donation to Family SOS will be appreciate and put to good use. Thank you so much for contributing!

Now, please start building a gingerbread house.

4. Steve Murray (@NPsteve) November 14, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

Having dominated the pumpkin carve-off of 2012 I feel like I might enjoy dominating Ginger 2013, possibly with Hadley.

BTW, the theme will be “domination” and the gingerbread house will have a 50-Shades feel.

-G.Hopper

• movita beaucoup November 15, 2013 at 7:54 am #

I almost look forward to your entry.

5. wendy@chezchloe November 15, 2013 at 1:43 am #

Mama Mia… the pressure. And I was just about to start knitting a hat. Don’t know if I can fit it all in! Holidays are hard work. xx

• movita beaucoup November 15, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Drop the hat.

Make gingerbread.

Problem solved.

6. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 15, 2013 at 6:58 am #

I’ve never made a gingerbread house – ever. I did make ginger ale today but that’s as close as I got. I’ll give it some thought.

• movita beaucoup November 15, 2013 at 9:08 am #

Let me help you: Maureen, you are making a gingerbread house. You will then enter it in my contest.

See? Easy.

7. jessieharrold November 15, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Challenge: accepted.

8. Ang November 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

Call my daughter . . . tell her to do this . . . and have I mentioned . . . you and she must be twins . . . tell your mom . . . we have twin daughters. . . .

9. shannon November 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

oh god.
    consider my competitive hackles…hackled. i’m in. I daresay the Yehlings have been working on their house since last year, so YEHLINGS: if you’re competing this year, just know this: I admire your talent and your ginger-creating abilities, but i hate them at the same time. You must understand.
    My goal this year is to not lose THE MOST.

10. shannon November 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

and ps: my mom is going to be THRILLED, because we basically pulled an all-nighter last year finishing my elfin ginger house. she’s really at her best when she’s had zero sleep.

• movita beaucoup November 19, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Shall I assume that you’ll wait to send your entry until Katherine and Scott are ready, and then you’ll all email them at 11:59 pm on December 15th, thus ensuring that you are all competing against one another this year?

11. Eggton November 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

Oh sweet bearded Jesus (holla!) is the guy on the right of your new, totally festive I-love-it banner drawing 2.0 and are you the one on the right and IS HE GRABBING YOUR BOOB?

That is, like, sooooo typical 2.0

• shannon November 18, 2013 at 10:52 am #

see, now Katherine, i thought it was Bill Beaucoup grabbing Rosie’s boob. but i wasn’t going to say anything. they look the most patriarch/matriarch-ish of the bunch.

• movita beaucoup November 19, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Dear Katherine and Shannon,

Thanks for making me vomit a little. Especially you, Shannon.

Sincerely,
      movita

12. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen November 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

You’re an inspiration, Movita! When I grow up I want to be like you;) Gifts, contests, it must be Christmas!!

13. Stephbo November 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Can I lie and say I’m in the 13 and under category? ‘Cause that’s where my skills would be. Who am I kidding? My skills would be in the 5 and under category, and even then, I’m sure I’d have some tough competition. All I know is there no way I could ever compete with the blazing Buckingham Palace from the past. That was stupendous. So I won’t enter. But I’ll vote. You all can start bribing me now. I like desserts and sparkly things.

• movita beaucoup November 19, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Don’t think of it as competing against Buckingham Palace. Think of it as beating a few kids. That’s what carries me each year…

14. Amy November 18, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Sooo, I just don’t think I’m going to have time for this, or room in my little kitchen…BUT, next year when I’m in my new house with my new huge kitchen, I’m totally participating. So watch out! 😉 Can’t wait to see the entries this year!!!

15. Choc Chip Uru November 22, 2013 at 5:20 am #

Haha ginger inspired recipes? I would love to enter this with pear and gingerbread cake but I am going on holiday – maybe I will make it later and just for you 🙂

Cheers
    CCU

P.S Unfortunately, I have lost around 1000 subscribers on my blog, and I have no idea how, so if you were subscribed, would you be able to resubscribe? Thank you!

16. Hope November 22, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Dooooone.

17. Willow @ Will Cook For Friends November 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Okay, first: cartoon banner at the top? Best thing ever.
    Second: you have the most entertaining comments of any blog I’ve ever read. Hands down. (No offense to anyone else who thinks their comments section is the bomb.)
    Third: I wish I were competing in Ginger 2013, but alas, I don’t even know how I’m going to survive the impending holidays as they are. I’ll have to put on my big girl pants and rock some gingerbread next year. You’ve been warned.

• carla November 28, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Totally agreeing with you regarding the comments in this blog. I rarely read the comments section in the other blogs that I read but here in Movita’s I look forward to reading them.

18. mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry December 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

It’s statements like this: “Personal information (email, last name, weight) will not be posted. Just your first name, your photos, and the stupid stuff you tell me about your “creative process.” that fuel my blogger crush on you. Can’t wait to see all the entries and watch Shannon, Katherine and Scott duke it out (no offense to the other contestants!)

• movita beaucoup December 12, 2013 at 9:15 am #

I think Scott is planning something EPIC.

We could all be in trouble…

19. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:56 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in November 2013. Thanks for stopping by!

1. There’s An Onion In The Bed | eggton - December 11, 2013

[…] other news, I made a gingerbread house using this recipe.  I’m going to enter it in movita’s annual competition for goofballs.  This is the competition I lose every year, usually to a 6-year-old with advanced motor skills. […]

2. random things + a Just One Question Project-inspired experiment. | A Periodic Table - December 14, 2013

[…] Just One Question Project post is up, and this weekend, I’m trying to make a Ginger house for Movita Beaucoup’s Ginger 2013 competition. If I have something done by entry deadline (that’s tomorrow, by the way) it’ll be an […]