ginger 2013 ~ group 1

ginger 2013 | movita beaucoup

UPDATE: WINNER DECLARED! Cindy’s Cinderella-Worthy Castle has won this heat! Cindy’s creation will move on to the finals – Friday, December 20, 2013.

* * *

Here they are – your first grouping of drool-worthy ginger creations!

Vote for your favourite masterpiece at the bottom of the post!

* * *

Cindy’s Cinderella-Worthy Castle

Cindy's Castle

Cindy's Castle 2

The first entry to hit my inbox this year came from Cindy. And when I opened it, I knew we were in big trouble. Cindy lives in Florida. She has eight grandchildren, and also, might be some sort of ginger savant. In her email, Cindy mentioned that this was her “… 3rd gingerbread house … and it’s amazing that it turned out just as I envisioned it.

What the? THIS IS HER 3RD GINGERBREAD HOUSE? Cindy, I’m not gunna mince my words here: you make me sick. Cindy also wrote, “… really, I’m just so stoked about my gingerbread castle this year, I want to show everyone.” No kidding. If I’d built that thing I’d sell tickets.

So, it turns out Cindy is an administrative assistant by day, and at night she bakes and decorates the crap out of stuff for fun. Basically, she reads a bunch of books and watches videos and then builds castles. She’s had no professional training. And I guess that’s a lesson for you kids out there: YOUTUBE IS GINGERCATIONAL.

At its highest point, this castle is 2 feet high. So, I could live in it. Look at that beast! The masonry! The turrets! The carriage! Every freakin’ detail – totally awesome.

* * *

Pam’s Cabin for Carmen

Pam's Cabin for Carmen

Pam's Cabin for Carmen 2

This ginger masterpiece was submitted by my cousin, Pam. According to Pam, it was made with love AND help from my Uncle Floyd, a Basset Hound named Hushpuppy, and a cat named Dusty. So, to sum: I would not eat this thing.

Pam entitled her entry: Homestead. But I changed the name. Lemme ‘splain. You see, Pam lost her sister (my cousin), Carmen this year. To quote Rosie Beaucoup: Carmen was a unique and extremely independent spirit with a wry sense of humour and the ability and determination to face adversity in her own way. Her loss leaves a heartbreaking gap in the family.

In her submission email, Pam wrote: “… my inspiration came from an Angel above telling me this was the year to do this. She loved the woods and always wanted a cabin to live in. She also tried to convince me to do this last year but I chickened out!”

So, I happily present Pam’s Cabin for Carmen. Made from scratch and topped with a salty log roof. Look at the wee lamp-lit windows! (I bet there’s some dog and cat fur in there as well.) Do you see the reindeer and kids playing in the yard? The sugary coating of snow on the ground? The chomp-worthy forest? Sa-weet!

* * *

Karen’s English Tudor Cottage

Karen's Tudor Cottage

Karen's Tudor Cottage 2

Our next entry comes from Karen. She told me that she’s 49 years young. She also told me that she starts her ginger creations in October of each year, and finishes by mid-November. I guess she told me that stuff so I’d feel bad about a) wasting my 40’s, and b) slapping my ginger creations together at the last minute.

Karen’s husband makes ginger blueprints for her every year. Hear that, 2.0? HE HELPS HER. She makes her gingerbread and frosting from scratch, melts candy for the windows and ponds, and then starts piecing the whole thing together. You know, just 4-6 weeks of work.

People? This cottage is nicer than my house. The closest thing I have to a skating pond is the little dance I do on our slippery steps every morning. I’d happily eat that roof for breakfast, and then munch on some of the masonry for lunch. I’m pretty sure Kate Winslet plans to film her next movie in that cottage… we’re talkin’ ginger curb appeal, people.

* * *

Tonya & Cath’s Up!

Tonya and Cath's Up!

Tonya and Cath's Up! 2

This entry comes from two of my favourite new, real-life pals. That’s right: you can meet people in real life. As in: not on the interwebs.

I met Tonya and Cath during my bakery work-term last spring. Cath is a baker at Dobbit Bakehouse – she taught me all sorts of cool stuff and inspired the crap outta me. Also, she likes crows as much as I do. Tonya works the storefront of the bakery – she basically lights the place up with her smile and giggles. I believe she likes crows as well.

Tonya told me she thought Up! (the movie) would be a great theme for a gingerbread house. She wrote:

I took my idea to the one person I knew would share my joy, my co-worker, Cath! She immediately was on board with it and away we went to work! Three days, countless hours and tons of royal icing later, our creation was complete! To our amazement, our gumdrop balloon stayed afloat as well, yahoo! And as a special added bonus, we decided that the lovable Dug deserved a (dog) house of his own.

Yahoo, is right! When I saw that mother freakin’ gumdrop balloon I ALMOST DIED. How is it staying afloat? Magic? IS IT MAGIC? And look at the icing-laden exterior – so thick! I mean, I bet I could lick some of it off without compromising the structure… The colours! The dudes from the movie! Dug’s house! And that mother freakin’ gumdrop balloon! Squeeeeeeal!

* * *

There you have it! Your first four entries. Amazing, right?

Cast your vote below! Polls will close at 8 am AST, Thursday, December 19, 2013.

The winner from this grouping will go on to compete in the finals on Friday, December 20th. Repeat voters are blocked by cookie and IP address. For more information on how the voting will go down, click here.

17 Responses to ginger 2013 ~ group 1

1. Jenni Field (@PastryChfOnline) December 18, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Too hard to choose!! I know, I know. A total cop out. I will choose. But I’d rather not. Huzzah for the Ginger Competition, MB!!

2. frugalfeeding December 18, 2013 at 8:54 am #

Holy crap Batman that castle is incredible… The Tudor thatch is also magnificent, but where’s the thatch?!

3. Lynne Knowlton December 18, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Seriously? No fair. I don’t know what I luuuurve more. The entries or the story telling that you do for each of them. Maybe it is the time of year. I’m feeling kinda sappy.

Congrats to every.single.entry. I’m still working on getting my toast toasted JUST RIGHT every morning. How do these peeps do such extraordinary gingers? Oh la la !!!

Merry HoHo, my friend. xoxoxo

4. Willow @ Will Cook For Friends December 18, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Holy Gingerness… I’m speechless. Entries one and three astound me on their technical perfection, but number two wins on the story that went into it, and number four wins on creativity (and gumdrop balloonery), hands down. How do I pick just one?!

5. mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry December 18, 2013 at 10:57 am #

My eyes about fell out when I saw that first entry! And of course my favorite part of your competitions is reading your commentary – you did not disappoint this year my friend! Lot’s of lol’s (heh heh) when I read this post. Kudos to everyone who entered, but I think Cinderella’s Castle will finally give the Yehlings a run for their money this year!!!

6. Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes December 18, 2013 at 11:01 am #

These are amazing, but I think I’m going to have to go for the Tudor cottage…I’d totally live there!

7. Carol Waddle December 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Cindy’s Cinderella, although it was a very tough choice!

8. Pam December 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

ok ok, I have entered this awesome contest but seriously they are all amazing. of course I have voted for my own creation but if I did not enter then the tudor style house would win it for me! Congratulations to all the entrants!

9. Rock Salt December 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Wow – you GUYS this is off the chain. Such huge congrats to everyone, they are all beautiful, and represent so much work and love. And icing. More icing than anything.

10. Deb December 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Absolutely delectable contest! So much exceptional gingerness! merry Christmas to all!

11. Michelle Labrie Maple December 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Holy crap! I want to make Cinderella’s castle my home! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

12. Andrew Eisan December 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I also am voting for Pam’s entry, “Carmen’s Cabin”. The others are outstanding, but I think of myself as simple, so a simple cabin does it for me. Very good entries folks!

13. Cindy December 18, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Wow, all the entries are amazing, I voted for myself, but if I hadn’t been entered I probably would have voted for Pam;s cabin for Carmen. The story touched me. The reason I even did my first ginger project in 2010 was as a memorial for my grandmother. She always encouraged my baking and I always said we’d build a gingerbread house together someday…….well, it didn’t happen and I still feel the pain of her passing,…. so each year now I will make a gingerbread project in her honor. I can feel her presence with me as I build and even though she isn’t in this would anymore the gingerbread beings us together again and again. Good Luck to everyone that entered. I know how much time, energy and love goes into the creations.

14. Karen Kerr December 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

This was really hard! I laughed. I cried! Your writing is so good.

15. Kelly NeiL December 18, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

You are awesome and so are all of these gingery delights. Love each and every single one.

16. Sue McNeil December 19, 2013 at 10:11 am #

My favourite place in the whole world is my tiny little cottage. There’s so much love there and so many happy memories. So, because I know that small really can be mighty (ask my 5’0″ sister!) I’m voting for Pam’s cabin.

17. movita beaucoup September 7, 2015 at 7:57 am #

Comments are now closed on this post – it was published in 2013!