ginger 2011 – group 1

Okay, y’all. Brace yerselves. Here are your Group 1 entries:

Sydney’s Maritime Shout-Out Lighthouse

Sydney’s ginger lighthouse was the first entry of this year’s competition. It also marked my first mini-stroke of this year’s competition. Because when I saw it I thought: I’m screwed. I read Sydney’s blog on a regular basis, so I knew she had talent. I just didn’t know she’d take it out on me.

Sydney’s entry came with the following note:

Good afternoon Movita,

I would like to thank you for providing me with the motivation to make a Gingerbread house this year. I was going to forgo the entire process altogether until I saw your Ginger 2011. I happened upon the Gingerbread Lighthouse idea thanks to Canadian Living’s November issue. I saw it and just had to do it. So, thank you for your inspiration. This gingerbread lighthouse is for you!

Impressive, right? Look at the details, people. Look!

(Wanna make yer own gingerbread lighthouse? Well, Sydney can help you.)

Cassie & Dan’s Humble Abode(s)

Behold Cassie and Dan’s ginger creation. I imagine these two little houses probably sit at the end of an exclusive cul-de-sac in a wee ginger village. I’m not saying the inhabitants are snobby or anything. Mostly because this entry was sent with the following note:

Please put our humble gingerbread creation on your blog.
Thanks, Cassie and Dan

Consider it done. Look at those liquorice lane-ways! The snow capped roofs. The Christmas tree in the yard. Wait… maybe that’s a garage next to the house… cripes. Um, Cassie? Dan? Is that a garage? Or a perhaps a small ginger meth lab? I dunno. But I’ll tell you this, people. I’m basically a ginger expert, and I think this sugary settlement is awesome.

Yvonne’s Gingerbread House of Pain

Hells yah! Now this is some next level sh*t, people. That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Blood, sweat and tears, baby.

Yvonne’s entry was submitted with the following descriptor:

After spending yet another Christmas Eve together, brothers Sven and Olaf ended the evening with Sven popping a cap into the back of Olaf’s head. Apparently, all that annoying throat clearing finally got to Sven. Sven can be seen here, digging a grave for his brother.

Next Christmas could prove very lonely indeed for poor Sven.

I have nothing more to say. Yvonne’s a freakin’ genius.

Maureen & Sam’s Almost Taj Mahal of Gingers

Maureen sent the following note along with her entry:

Movita,

My daughter Sam and I were all psyched up about building our awesome gingerbread house this year. We opened the box… and there was hardly any candy in the kit! I mean sure there was candy for decorating, but what about the “one for the house, one for me, two for the house, three for me,” rule? Next year I will know enough to have more than some leftover Nerds from Halloween on hand.

Anyhow, we thought it would be loads of fun, but then we both started to feel the intense pressure of the competition. And then halfway through our roof started caving in! In the end we got her done but it is not exactly the Taj Mahal of Gingers. (That would be cool if someone could make that)

Thanks for letting us play along,

Maureen

P.S. I sent in the photo from the box so everyone could see what we were shooting for in the looks department. If only my hands could have done what my brain envisioned.

First off, that box clearly misrepresented the contents, Maureen. I ain’t seein’ no spiky trees on your property. And where the hell did they get that wreath over the front door? That’s blatant false advertising. And if there’s a lawyer among you out there, I’m thinking Maureen might have a case. But like any movita fan would, Maureen and Sam persevered. They found some stale nerds and mini-marshmallows, and they kicked out some ginger magic. That’s the true spirit of Ginger.

There you have it. Get voting!

Votes must be cast by midnight Atlantic Standard Time (11 pm EST). The winner from this heat will proceed to the final round of voting on Thursday, December 22. For more on how the voting is gunna go down, click here.

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the Group 2 heat…

23 Responses to ginger 2011 – group 1

1. IamSimplyTia December 20, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Wow these are all so pretty. It’s hard to choose. Let me cast my vote though

2. teri December 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

::::::::::WHOA….MOVE OVER MARTHA STEWART !!!!

3. carlyloves December 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Oh my goodness! I love them all!

4. emma schultz December 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

What a lieface gingerbread box – what house sprouts greenery on its roof and under its windows? I’m sorry Maureen was led astray, but good thing she persevered, so that she could share the spotlight with a burgeoning meth lab, a dead man, and a beautiful lighthouse that I can’t think of anything else to say about except it’s frickin gorgeous?! Good work everyone!

5. cardsbymo December 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

Damn that awesome death-house Ginger! I couldn’t even vote for myself because I liked that one too much!

However, I did post the following impassioned plea on my facebook account….
    I know you will all want to vote for either the Awesome looking lighthouse or the cool and macabre death house Ginger….but please, please, please remember how nice I am. Remember how I make you laugh and say thoughtful things about you. Remember that someday I will be dead and you will feel guilty that you didn’t vote for me!

6. Eggton December 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

Wwwwwwwoooooooah.

7. Lynne December 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

They are all so freakin’ awesome! Tough call…

8. The Crazy Aisy December 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

These are all amazing. I can’t decide!

9. emmalina73 December 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Ok that lighthouse actually made me want to cry from nostalgia, it reminded me so much of NS and the wonders therein. A ginger house that makes you want to cry? That gets my vote.

Btw I’m really glad that I didn’t actually enter this year. Yes it was due to mental exhaustion, physical exhaustion and ginger exhaustion but now I see the shame fest that would have been inflicted on me and am glad for my christmas ennui.

Ginger 2011 rocks!

10. movita beaucoup December 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Dear friends,

I’m betting the Ginger Geniuses are really appreciating your feedback!

Best. Readers. Evah.

xox movita beaucoup

11. lambvegetable December 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Just pointing out that those Humble Abodes have roof shingles made of cinnamon toast crunch, and I think that is pretty frickin’ genius. Major innovation points.

12. Elza December 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Luv that Lighthouse! Almost voted for Enchanted Estate but realized it is likely the photo from the box. Anyways, Maureen and Sam’s modified blueprint looks more authentic! Good luck to all!

13. Nancy young December 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

Love the lighthouse alot of long hours and hard work goes into making this . I loved it . Good job and good luck

14. Savory Simple December 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

These are all so cute! I think the lighthouse is my favorite.

15. Elza December 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Savory Simple, I agree they “are all so cute”! I think Sydney’s Lighthouse is my favorite also. Now, Humble Abode(s) is just that ….humble! The red shoestring liquorice “lane-ways” are most inviting! It’s festive and I like it!

16. David December 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

Gingerbread House of Pain!

17. Natashia@foodonpaper December 20, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

Holy moly@1 How cool is the murder scene!! Love it. Lighthouse just gets my vote 🙂

18. Anonymous December 21, 2011 at 5:59 am #

I am somewhat loosely tied to a contestant. I just wanted to say that these are absolutely amazing in general. It is really difficult to pick a favorite. They are all imaginative, and each are good in their own way! I really enjoyed them. 🙂

19. movita beaucoup September 13, 2015 at 12:18 pm #

Comments are now closed on this post as it was published in December 2011. Thanks for stopping by!

1. What is Made of Gingerbread and Tastes of Victory? « cardsbymo - December 20, 2011

[…] http://movitabeaucoup.com/2011/12/20/ginger-2011-group-1/ […]

2. Ginger 2011 Cast Your Votes ~ Gingerbread Lighthouse ~ « Sydney'sKitchen - December 20, 2011

[…] It’s a gingerbread contest.  Here is what I need from you, I need you to go and vote for the gingerbread house that looks like a lighthouse.  I don’t want you to pay any attention to what I told you […]

3. Christmas Hors D’oeuvre Idea ~ Cheddar and Pecan Cheese Ball ~ « Sydney'sKitchen - December 20, 2011

[…] Don’t forget to head over to Movita Beaucoup and vote on my gingerbread lighthouse! GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); […]

4. What is Made of Gingerbread and Tastes of Victory? | cardsbymo - September 4, 2013

[…] http://movitabeaucoup.com/2011/12/20/ginger-2011-group-1/ […]