nova scotia hodge podge

nova scotia hodge podge | movita beaucoup

If you’re a Maritimer, you have probably stuffed your face with lots of fish chowder. Maybe some Screech. Or maybe some Chicken Bones. But at this time of year, it’s all about the hodge podge.

If you look for a hodge podge recipe on a recipe site like, say, Allrecipes, you might find some… weird information. You might read something like, “this is an old favourite vegetable stew from Nova Scotia. Is typically made in the fall as gardens are just harvested. It is important that the freshest veggies are used.” And that same recipe might tell you to cook the bejeezus out of your vegetables. Whatiddy what? I’m sure the person who posted that recipe is totally awesome, but also, a victim of The Conspiracy. Because some of the information in that recipe has clearly been planted by someone from a big city. Why are big city folk conspiring against Maritimers? Because they know, on some level, that we are way cool without even trying. And that kinda pisses them off. Also, they want our lobster.

nova scotia hodge podge | movita beaucoup | beans

I don’t know very many Maritimers who would call hodge podge a stew. Generally, it’s not that thick. It can be kinda soupy. Also, we harvest our gardens in the spring and summer. Just like lots of other people. And since “it is important that the freshest veggies are used,” waiting until fall seems pretty silly. Most people round here would agree that hodge podge is a summer staple. As soon as the new potatoes, carrots, peas and beans hit the farmer’s markets, we’re into hodge podge season.

I’ve seen some variations in the ingredients for hodge podge. Some recipes call for bacon or salt pork. That sounds pretty awesome, but no one I know has ever used either of those things. However, I think it’s pretty clear that a Maritimer came up with that idea. Someone from a big city would probably add quinoa and rose water. Some recipes suggest substitutions for the butter and cream. Good grief. Those things aren’t optional. Other recipes call for you to use flour to thicken the broth. Those people are probably from a big city. They might also suggest that you put turnip, cauliflower, and broccoli in there. TURNIP? Get real.

nova scotia hodge podge | movita beaucoup

Hodge podge is a celebration of fresh vegetables. No. It’s a party. A kitchen party. Because that’s what we do here. You cook your market-fresh veggies in a big pot. Not all at once – you start with the veggies that take the longest, and then keep adding in more. Peas don’t take as long to cook as potatoes – no matter what someone from a big, fancy city tells you. Then you drain off most of the water, and dump some cream and butter in there. The starch from the potatoes will thicken the cream and butter a little, but it won’t get as thick as a stew. Some of that depends on how much butter and cream you throw into the mix. Do you see the balance, people? The healthy vegetables are slathered in something… less healthy. And when you think about how long this recipe has been a Maritime favourite? It makes sense. It’s all stuff we could find in our freakin’ yards. Just kidding. Most of us don’t grow butter in our yards.

nova scotia hodge podge | movita beaucoup | carrots

Simple. Fresh. Delicious. No hiding behind fancy schmancy ingredients, or seasoning the crap out of it. Just a little salt and pepper to round things out. If you’re looking for a recipe that is brimming with complex flavours and seasonings, this isn’t it. Hodge podge is all about the vegetables. We like to let ’em shine.

Once you’re done scarfing down the veggies, I think most Maritimers would tell you to sop up the extra broth with some hearty bread. I’m also betting that 2.0 would like me to mention that hodge podge is just as good – if not better – on the second day. And that it tastes mighty fine alongside a juicy steak.

nova scotia hodge podge | movita beaucoup

You’ve been schooled.

Nova Scotia Hodge Podge

print and make for city folk

Makes enough for 4-6 people.

I’ve included some notes that I hope y’all will find helpful.

• 10-12 new potatoes – scrubbed/not peeled, and halved – quarter any large potatoes, and don’t cut the small ones – you want the potato pieces to be about the same size
  • 2-3 cups chopped new carrots – scrubbed/not peeled, cut into bite sized pieces (yah, you can peel them if you like)
  • 1 cup chopped yellow beans – 1 inch long pieces
  • 1 cup chopped green beans – 1 inch long pieces
  • 1 cup shelled pod peas – you want just the peas, not the pods
  • 1 cup blend – I believe blend is called half and half in the US – you want something around the 10% fat mark (FYI – some people use a higher fat cream, and up to 1.5 cups of it)
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup butter (I use 6 tablespoons)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Note: the cooking times listed below are what I use. Generally, you want the veggies – especially the beans – to be tender crisp. Some people like their veggies softer, and will cook longer – thus the frequent use of the word “about.”

Fill a Dutch oven about halfway with water, and salt lightly (about 1/2 teaspoon of salt). Bring to a boil.

Add the potatoes to the boiling water. Cook for about 7 minutes.

Add the carrots to the pot, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.

Next add the yellow and green beans to the pot, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.

Finally, add the peas, and continue cooking for about 3 minutes.

Drain off most of the water – leave about an inch of water (no more) in the bottom of the pot with the vegetables. Return the pot to the stove, and reduce burner heat to low. Add the blend and butter, and some salt and pepper (I start with a 1/4 teaspoon of each). Gently stir to combine, allowing the the blend and butter to heat through. As you’re stirring, the potatoes might break up a bit. Not to worry. As the the blend and butter heat through, the broth may begin to thicken. This is normal. Don’t allow the mixture to boil.

Once the mixture has heated through, it is ready to serve. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bread to sop up the extra broth.

Store any unused portions in the refrigerator, and re-heat before serving.

116 Responses to nova scotia hodge podge

1. Ellenberry June 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

From one Maritimer to another, ‘Thank you’!! This reminds me so much of my childhood. I am going to stop at the local market on the way home from work and have some for supper tonight!

• movita beaucoup June 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Yippie!! I hope you manage to find all of the ingredients – some markets don’t have everything in yet. But we’ve had some for the past two weekends, so it CAN BE DONE!

• Kathie MacDonnell July 22, 2015 at 10:27 am #

I love the article accompanying the recipe…hilarious!!! If you aren’t a writer, you should be. Thanks for the chuckles and the recipe.

• movita beaucoup July 22, 2015 at 3:42 pm #

You are most welcome, Kathie! Thanks for your kind words…

• Anonymous July 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Just back from Kempt Shore maritime Acoustic festival – where a vendor was selling hodge podge. Today spend some time copying and pasting recipes for hodge podge, and was surprised about the turnip, corn, flour, and order of cooking the vegetables. Until I found your recipe. Sounds very authentic and will be off to the supermarket for the makings. Thanks Ontario Sue

• movita beaucoup July 27, 2012 at 7:54 am #

Thanks, Ontario Sue! I hope you’ve gobbled up a big batch of hodge podge!

2. emma June 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Now, ahem, wait a tic here. Errmmmm, movita? You live in a city. Yes, I know it’s technically a…. former city…. whatever the hell that means. But although you may be some fancypants Regional Municipality, or some such nonsense… you can’t hide behind your strange geographically-based buzzwords.

And that’s what I have to say. But only because I’m really just jealous that you get to have the amenities of CITY life. I’ve been there, I know this.

Now to dream up a garden that will grow butter.

• movita beaucoup June 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

But Emmmmmmmma! It’s a small city. By the ocean. And small city folk are different from big city folk. That’s a scientific fact. And Maritime cities are WAY different than other cities. That’s more science for you.

Now, when you figure out how to get that butter sprouting, let me know.

• emma June 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

It’s way bigger than anything in Maine, which, I will scientifically admit, is near-Maritime. Not that it’s any comparison or consolation, I’m just saying…

It all has to do with successful germination rates. That’s science, too. I’ll let you know once I’ve run some annual trials.

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 8:53 am #

You know, I grew up in the Annapolis Valley. With a lot of farmers. You’d think I’d know more about germination rates. But I guess that’s why I’ve got you…

3. Ann June 26, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

I am from the opposite sides of the continent from you–big city San Diego, and I’ve never heard of Hodge Podge before in my life! Thank goodness I have been schooled, b/c this looks deliciousssssss!

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 8:54 am #

I ate about 4 pounds of it yesterday – left over from the weekend. It. Was. So. Good. And it thickens up a little in the fridge, and just keeps getting better and better. Man. I’ve gotta make some more…

4. frugalfeeding June 26, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

This looks delicious, Movita! Those beans are absolutely gorgeous!

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Why, thank you! I actually don’t like beans. As in: I hate them. But I DO like them in hodge podge. It’s a Maritime Miracle.

5. The Neighbour June 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Dear Movita,
    I have a cookbook you should borrow titled: Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens (A collection of traditional recipes of Nova Scotia and the story of the people who cooked them). If you’ve never seen said cookbook, you must read!!!! Recipes such as: Colcannon, Molasses Pie, Fried Eels, Vinegar Pie, Rappie Pie, Turtles in Shells (yes, real turtles. “If you have tiny turtles and wish to serve them in an interesting way, save the top shells”)
    Despite the turtle recipe – it’s a wonderful book!

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 8:56 am #

How is it that I haven’t seen this book? I looked it up on amazon – it’s still in print! I think I need to order it. (Though I probably won’t be making the turtles.)

• Anonymous June 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

It’s printed local, and I have seen it in Chapters…It’s a LOVELY cook book

6. emmalina73 June 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Sounds like a delicious party of veggies, which is something I can get super happy about any time of the year. Plus Allrecipes really scares me, a can of mushroom soup or a package of vanilla pudding is not an ingredient people. I’ll stick with the carrots and butter, you know where you are with them.

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 8:59 am #

You’re a farmer. You could be the queen of hodge podge! Stephen might not mind the beans in here – because they don’t bother me. In fact, they are downright tasty in hodge podge. Because normally? I think beans should be stomped upon.

7. lorrielorrieb June 26, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Well how embarrassed am I?? I honestly never knew that Hodge Podge was something that you eat!! Although it makes sense I guess, because I’ve always known it as a “bunch of stuff” all mixed together…but not necessarily food related. So I guess that’s where it comes from?

I also know it as some fancy shmancy glue used for making decoupage!

The things you learn! Thanks Movita!

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 9:04 am #

You are exactly right – that’s how hodge podge earned it’s name – it’s a bunch of stuff all thrown into a pot. I’m assuming that back in the day, when money in a lot of households was scarce, this recipe would be fairly economical to prepare. (Today’s economy ain’t much different.) Nova Scotia has a lot of fishing and a lot of farming – so traditionally, local ingredients were easy to find. Of course, nowadays, butter costs more than bloody lobster!

Now, the fancy schmancy glue? That’s MOD Podge. But I think I’ll call it Hodge Podge from now on…

8. msginge June 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I think I may live under a rock, or it hasn’t made it’s way to Ontario. Either was it looks yummy!

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 9:07 am #

As far as I know, hodge podge is a Maritime thing. Though I’m pretty sure it has some origins in France and England. Clearly, you’ll have to take Ontario by storm. With all of the amazing farms out there, you should have no trouble at all!

9. wendy@chezchloe June 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

That does look good and I think it might be also asking to have a ham hock or thick slab of bacon cooked with it 🙂

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 9:12 am #

The other day 2.0 told me that when his family had leftover hodge podge, they would cut up some steak (usually leftover from a BBQ) and stir it into the hodge podge. I think he drooled a little…

• sheilaGoldsmith July 17, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Don’t ruin the hodge podge by putting meat in it !YUCK.

10. DogsDontPurr June 27, 2012 at 1:23 am #

I don’t even like vegetables….but what did I buy today? Vegetables. Because of you! I think you might have some sort of subliminal, psychic,esp, vegetable vibe…or something like that…going on.

Now if I could just sit back and get you to cook it for me!!

• movita beaucoup June 27, 2012 at 9:14 am #

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! That is way awesome! I hope your body doesn’t reject them…

11. Mama's Gotta Bake June 27, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Beautiful dish Movita! Love the photos too!

12. musingmar June 27, 2012 at 11:34 am #

This sounds delicious! I’m ashamed to say I’d never heard of hodge podge before – how could I call myself a Canadian?! Well, I can now! I may be all citified now that I’ve left the farm, but I still felt pretty smug when you pointed out the pea pods do not go into the pot. I knew that! Now I’m feeling better …

• movita beaucoup June 29, 2012 at 7:15 am #

That’s how I take care of big city folk. I tell them they don’t have to eat pea pods. I hope they appreciate me.

13. Savory Simple June 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Great photos!

14. Amy June 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

I’ve never heard of hodge podge before but it sound delish! Thanks for educating me 🙂 I will definitely be making this soon.

• movita beaucoup July 27, 2012 at 7:57 am #

I hope your American body doesn’t reject my Maritime recipe. I mean, don’t you live in New York? Your über cool body probably isn’t familiar with peasant recipes such as this… (tee hee!)

15. allythebell June 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Hooray for the Maritimers! We love our hodge podge with my mom’s beer bread (only Canadian beers allowed, of course): http://alidoesit.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/nova-scotia-hodgepodge-with-beer-bread/

Thanks for the extra shout-outs to Nova Scotia!

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2012 at 8:04 am #

That bread looks awesome!

• Edie July 7, 2013 at 11:31 am #

But your hodge podge recipe is definitely not the Maritime recipe. We never put turnip into it and no thickening. sheesh

16. Jennie June 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Okay, don’t listen to the big city folk. Gotcha! I’m on team Maritimers. I like butter, and I like cream. Seriously, who gets rid of the fatty deliciousness? Not me. This hodge podge looks creamy and delicious. All it needs is a big hunk of crusty bread. None of that whole wheat, seven grain stuff, either.

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Nope. Don’t be using what my brother calls “bird seed bread.” A nice hunk of crusty bread will do yah just fine. And that way you can sop up the fatty deliciousness!

17. Sherrie June 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

AMEN. The perfect, accurate hodge podge post. (Those not from the Maritimes would probably call it a vegetable chowder. Weirdos!) 🙂

18. shannon July 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

*sigh*
    i’ve decided i need to become some sort of honorary Maritimer. i like too many things that go on up there. and i love boats and shippy things. also docks. and baby lambs and seafood. and especially this hodge podge, which i have never heard of and have to make this instant.

so…who can i see about that. i didn’t know who made those types of decisions.

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Oh, and those things are just the tip of the iceberg! We’ve got ocean, farms, city and all things in between. We party in kitchens – well, not all of us – just the cool Maritimers. We’re really festive. We’re warm and friendly – which freaks some city folk out. And we’re way funny. Trust me. People From Away don’t want to leave. You’ve got to get your butt over here. I’ll see if I can get some strings pulled…

19. Just A Smidgen July 2, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Love this whole post today.. your humor, the name of your recipes.. the fresh from your garden ingredients and your beautiful photography!! Win . win. win. win.!! xo from out west where we don’t have a Hodge Podge

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Sending some x’s and o’s back at cha from the East Coast!

20. spree July 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Hodge Podge is new to me Movita so I’m all over your version like butter on toast! And “letting the vegetables shine” – naturally! and do we really need a recipe for overcooked veggies? No we do not. We need to make Hodge Podge just like Movita does and eat it tomorrow just like 2.0.

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2012 at 8:15 am #

We’ve had an awful lot of hodge podge here recently! So good, and completely addictive – you’ve been warned. On Friday, we had hodge podge with a side of bbq’d steak, and then on Saturday, we chopped up the leftover steak, and put it in the Day Two Hodge Podge. It was deeeeeelightful!

21. Christine July 6, 2012 at 3:01 am #

I’m seriously digging on this piece of Canadiana! I’ve made Nova Scotia blueberry cream cake before, but never hodge podge! I have a feeling this will make it to the dinner table (read: desk in front of a computer) sometime this summer, because, seriously — if you don’t get the best veggies in Canada during the summer, say hello to “local” canned goods and potatoes until June… our weather — sheesh!

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2012 at 8:16 am #

What about blueberry grunt? Have you made that? I bet you’d like it! (It goes very well with hodge podge…)

22. Katy Stanford July 17, 2012 at 2:04 am #

Movita,

I have had the best time reading your tutorials (or whatever they should be called) from ‘Sand the B*tch to “print and make for city folk’ You have the best sense of humor and some great how to’s and recipes. Cant wait to try the African Chicken!
    I Googled “How to distress furniture using wax” as I have a few pieces of it out in my garage that I am experimenting with. Anyway, I came to your tutorial so thanks!

• movita beaucoup July 27, 2012 at 7:58 am #

Thanks, Katy! I’m happy to have you here! And I hope you’ll let me know how your furniture turns out…

23. Ross Ward July 27, 2012 at 7:29 am #

In the first half of 20th century Nova Scotia all of the ingredients for hodge podge could be found on the family homestead in rural areas. Most people kept a cow and had their own cream and butter to go with all the fresh vegies they grew in their gardens. Now if you will excuse me I have to go to the garden before it rains and get the fixings for my own hodge podge.

24. reg lock June 30, 2013 at 10:07 am #

I know what you mean about people having different versions/misconceptions of this amazing recipe!! I was shocked & somewhat disappointed to buy a “Celebrity Cook Book” and find a “Hodge Podge” recipe from Ann Murray – after reading her version I wondered if she really is from Nova Scotia. HaHaHa –Just sayin’ !

• movita beaucoup July 2, 2013 at 11:04 am #

I bet Anne got all high falutin’ once she hit it big, and then changed her hodge podge recipe!

25. cindy stepper July 1, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

I am a transplanted Maritimer now living in Indiana. Coincidentally I was just telling my neighbor how we fixed vegetables as soon as we could in the early summer. It brought back such wonderful memories of scarfing down copious amounts of my Grammie Bent’s delicious Hodge Podge some 40+ years ago. Thanks so much for sharing this…your version of this recipe is exactly how my Grammie fixed it! From another former “Valley girl!”

• movita beaucoup July 2, 2013 at 11:00 am #

So nice to hear from you, Cindy! I was just thinking about making some hodge podge, as the veggies will be hitting the markets here in Nova Scotia. Hope you’ll be making some in Indiana – and spreading the Maritime way down south!

26. Anonymous July 2, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Your recipe is very similar to my Nanny’s Hodge Podge (except hers was less precisely measured 🙂 and has been a summer staple at my place. I’m not much of a cook, but summer just isn’t summer without u-Pick strawberries made into jam and hodge podge. And after making my jam last week with a combination of local berries bought at the Seaport Farmers Market and local berries bought at Sobeys, I’m not only convinced local is better, I’m now convinced straight-from-the-farmer is better.

now for a tip for all the city dwellers out there…I found seeds this year that grow carrots and beans IN A POT on your deck! So you can even grow your own on your deck, if you don’t have a yard.

• movita beaucoup July 3, 2013 at 7:16 am #

I hear ya! The Maritimes rock!

I’m very curious about these potted veggies – seems way easier than tilling a field…

27. Anonymous July 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

I have been eating Hodge Podge all my life…it is only eaten in July / August when you have access to the veggies out of your garden……..it is a South Shore tradition….having my mothers family from Cape Breton, my dads extended family in Halifax, and the Valley …….they never heard of it until moving to Lunenburg County…… the recipe you have here is not exactly how it was made by those of us Bridgewater area……..NO SALT in the water it ruins the flavor……….if you use new baby veggies…. potatoes, carrots, bean green and yellow and peas…all get cooked together, no chopping required just freshly washed if you use only new baby veggies they are the correct size already.( and sweetest ) should only boil for 8-10 minutes . Fully drain….put back in same pot, on medium low heat the add one stick of real butter about 1-1 1/2 cups let butter melt by stirring gently then a full can of milk (its creamy and thick on its own) gently stirring until all is coated…once milk has heated about 1-2 mins then its ready to eat. grab some fresh homemade bread and enjoy.

28. Erica LeBrun July 9, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Ahhh, so here I go…. a girl from New England, originally from Cape Cod, living in New Hampshire… and a lover of all things Maritime and Nova Scotia. You can be sure I checked the recipe closely, got my vegies from our local farmer’s market and ready to make it today. I’ve been known to alter “some” recipes to suit my needs or tastebuds but I know better than to change up a great recipe with such “honorable” roots, lolll. I believe in those great old recipes that have reason and purpose rooted in the lives of people throughout the seasons. It just feels and tastes so right to do it the way they have done it over the years. TY movita for posting this. Next to my discovery of Colcannon a few months back, this Hodge Podge recipe I’m really looking forward to trying out.
    BTW, my love of Nova Scotia and the Maritimes comes from not only that I was born and grew up on Cape Cod but also, I’ve visited Nova Scotia and PEI and immediately fell in love… with your lovely land…. hopefully to visit again. I love my best friends from Nova Scotia. You all are such wonderful folks. <3

29. Brad July 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Hi,
    I remember eating Hodge Podge as a kid in Canning (Valley). I haven’t had it since moving away in ’86. I am back to the valley regularly nowadays, seeing a woman again I knew as a kid. “Happy Days are here again”. My mother made it but we didn’t, as I remember, use cream. I think it was whole milk, yes I know whole milk! Today we got the stuff but couldn’t find any yellow beans! I am making it following your instructions, not the quantities but the sequence. We decided to get some ham to have with it but I don’t remember having any meat with it as I kid. A great read btw, too bad you turned out be a city dweller. I am from Canning, Windsor is a city to me.
    Thanks movita

• movita beaucoup July 14, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Brad, I grew up in KINGSTON. Smallest place on earth. So, though I’ve lived in both Toronto and Halifax, I’m a Valley Girl at heart! I remember driving to New Minas and thinking it was very metropolitan. And Kentville? I thought that place was so ritzy! (And just so you know, I often have whole milk in my fridge for baking. Long live whole milk!)

Hope you enjoyed your hodge podge – it’s great any way you make it!!

30. Nicole July 17, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

I too am a Kingston girl but sadly, my mother never made hodge podge! I see the signs at the local farmer markets advertising for the veggies every summer but never seem to get around to it. Today seems like the perfect day to make it! Thanks for the recipe – I’ll be following it nice and close 🙂

31. Cec August 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

I just read ‘that’ recipe for hodge podge and wondered about cooking green/yellow beans for 1/2 hour then adding something else and cooking for another 1/2 hour. To get bean goo, perhaps?
    Yikes. Going with your recipe and thank you.

32. Dawn February 14, 2014 at 11:35 pm #

Looking for an authentic recipe for years. Had it with 1.0’s family but never got the “recipe”. So glad I finally found one, thanks so much…it looks amazing, YUM!!!

33. Lynda July 4, 2014 at 6:37 am #

Last year when visiting NS, I had Hodge Podge for the first time (I can’t believe that no one had served it to me before then). It was wonderful! I do a recipe column for our community newsletter and I wanted to share this great recipe with everyone but kept coming across ‘authentic’ recipes that made no sense at all. Then I found this one with all of the wonderful stories. I will be quoting you in my article and sending people here for more Nova Scotia. We are heading down again next week. I hope someone is making Hodge Podge.

• Jan Morrison July 5, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

I’m just about to make hodgepodge. We’re supposed to be having a hurricane here in Nova Scotia but really not. The recipe I use is mainly in my head – South Shore, Chester area. Very like yours only we did use salt pork (or bacon). I’m a slackatarian and don’t usually eat meat but I was going to for my early summer feed of hodgepodge. Now I’m not sure… the way we always had it was a bit like chkwder without the fish. I loves it. Thanks for putting your memories out there for others to enjoy. Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens has a recipe I think. Also Dutch Oven, a Lunenburg cookbook.

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2014 at 7:23 am #

I have both of those books, Jan, and survived yesterday’s hurricane here in Halifax! I have met a number of people recently who remember salt pork in their hodge podge – it sounds divine, and I think I should try making it that way some time. My partner’s parents are from the South Shore, and we make our hodge podge exactly as they did and still do – I love family/traditional recipes! (Don’t you just love the illustrations in the Dutch Oven book?)

• movita beaucoup July 6, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Thanks, Lynda! I hope your belly gets filled with hodge podge when you are here…

34. Cherie July 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

Thank goodness there is a REAL Maritmer out there. Except for the carrots, the recipe is just exactly as I remembered it. My summer memories from B’Water, NS are laced with lobster, corn boils, and hodge podge sans the carrots but with full cream and salted butter. (A corn boil was just that, lots and lots and lots of corn on the cob.) I have some lovely little colourful carrots in my garden, though, so will use your recipe. Sadly, I cannot eat wheat so Mrs. F.’s wonderful oatmeal brown bread will not be added to my feast. BTW, Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens does have a hodge podge recipe that uses salt pork. Not my idea of the best summer dinner out there. Thanks for the recipe and for the memories of summers in Pleasantville, N.S. From Duncan, BC.

• Phyllis tougas July 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

Solution to the butter problem: keep a cow in your backyard 🙂

• Darrin Licely July 16, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

The great hodgepodge has been a summer tradition in my family since my brother and I were old enough to shuck peas! Also we had to have Herverd not sure if I spelt it right corn beef alongside with homemade rolls. Yummers!

• Darrin Lively not Licely(lol) July 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

Actually to elaborate further.Half of the enjoyment of hodgepodge was the gathering of vegetables out of the garden and preparing them.We would have three pots one for potatoes,one for string beans and finally one for green beans. Unlike other families we didn’t include carrots don’t know why we just didn’t. Anywho I can still remember Sunday mornings my brother and I would be busy snipping the end pieces off the beans and shucking the peas.no pods for us lol.

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2014 at 8:29 am #

Darrin Lively Not Licely (made me laugh out loud), I’ve got fond memories of picking veggies as a child too. I think that’s why I love hodge podge so much – it’s simple, tasty, and just as everything was in the old days!

• sheilaGoldsmith July 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Cherie my home was just down the river by the Yatch Club. We had a dairy farm there.

35. Brenda Leyenaar July 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

Exactly what I do.. I DO NOT put onion or corn in mine, (some of my friends doooo) and I use blend .. AND butter!!!!!! Made it Monday night (FOR 7) with strawberry shortcake for dessert!!!

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2014 at 8:30 am #

I know a few people who add onion and corn as well, but I must say, I like this version best. My partner’s family is from South Shore (NS), and they know their hodge podge!

• sheilaGoldsmith July 17, 2014 at 10:14 am #

I grew up on the South Shore(West LaHave). Hodge Podge season started early July and continued throughout the summer as long as we had the fresh veggies.We had our own cream and butter, a neccessity for hodge podge. And no onions corn or turnip!! I still make this but put all my veggies in the pot at the same time. Hodge Podge season is followed by Blueberry grunt season.This is a grunt with dough boys, not a biscuit or cobbler..After eating a bowl of this you will literally GRUNT getting up from the table.Hope everyone has a chance this summer to enjoy both, I will be filling up for sure.!!

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2014 at 10:58 am #

I have a blueberry grunt recipe here on the blog – you’re preachin’ to the choir!!

• Cherie July 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

My father belonged to the Yacht Club for a couple of years in the mid-50s which is when we lived in B’Water. He owned an old wooden boat, and we had a wonderful time on it. Their closest friends were Mabel and Walter Feindel. Mary, their daughter, and her husband still have a cottage on the LaHave (Pleasantville) and David, their son, owns the family cottage now which is right next door. I will always miss Nova Scotia and New Brunswick even though I have lived in BC since 1979! Our N.S. years were the best of my childhood.

• Rob MacGregor July 7, 2015 at 12:16 am #

And Mary and Jim’s family still sit around the cottage eating it along with there grand children being introduced to the dish as soon as they are on solid food. Walter and Mabel were my grand parents and I learned to sail at the Yacht Club in the 70’s and my son is heading down to the cottage next month (August). So I understand completely Cherie we used to tour the strawberry socials and fire halls for lobster dinners with the excuse we were supporting charities. I dream of living on the south shore and when I am ready to retire I will be in the market for a little cottage over looking the Lahave River. And probably eat myself to unhealthy proportions but what a way to go.

• Cherie Oke July 7, 2015 at 2:22 am #

Hi Rob Mary and I keep in touch regularly. My husband, Kevin and I spent a happy few hours with Mary and Jim at the cottage a couple of summers ago. Mary kindly had lobster, and many other of my favourite foods from the cottage days. She and I went swimming in the river for old times sake. David was at the old cottage so managed to see him, too. Love that place.

36. Tammy July 16, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

You got her, Pontiac! As a valley girl, I can attest to its authenticity. Dead bang on in the recipe.

• movita beaucoup July 17, 2014 at 8:31 am #

I’VE NEVER BEEN CALLED PONTIAC BEFORE! (And I really, really like it.)

37. Matt July 19, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Looks great, and it makes me really miss clam chowdah.

• movita beaucoup July 20, 2014 at 7:11 am #

Aaaaaaand now I want clam chowdah.

• Sandy Lerette July 20, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

I made Hodge Podge (my way which happens to be your way , other than the timing)on Thursday last for my future Mother in law from Ontario.She had just arrived for my wedding(this Saturday). She absolutely loved it!

38. Phyllis Collier July 29, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

Love the way you put those city slickers in their place. I’m a country girl from Hants County and we did not add onions or corn as both were not available fresh when the peas and beans and new potatoes were ready. For my family this was a rite of passage, proof summer was really here and the garden doing well. We always had a meal with the peas and beans and new potatoes with a roast of beef or pork for ‘dinner’ which is at noon in my Valley, and used the left over peas, beans, and small carrots for ‘supper’. There was always a little apprehensive about digging up a hill of potatoes early and pulling the carrots far too soon to have them when they were small, rather than harvesting them in the fall when they would provide so much more yield. We used cream skimmed from the milk of our Jersey cows and there was always lots of butter floating on the top. I make it every year and my Dutch husband loves it. They have a similar tradition with diced veggies but it is thickened with flour, so I suspect some of the Dutch farmers that settled in the Annapolis Valley in the 40’s and 50’s may have added that twist.

Thanks for keepin’ it real!!!

39. Cathy M. September 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

First time this Ontarian in Nova Scotia…at sixty, I wonder why I put if off so long. Anywayzzz…I worked with an East Coast girl who would bring Hodge Podge in for lunch all the time, so I had heard of it. Well, my friend in Canning made it for hubby and me and she gave me the recipe…which BTW, is your recipe to a T! WE LOVED IT! We live in the Niagara region and we can get lots’n’lots of this good stuff down there too. I’m writing this while we are still travelling. I had to google the recipe in our hotel room…and I love your blog as well…

40. Joanne Skelhorn July 20, 2015 at 7:58 pm #

Looks tasty and very authentic! My Grammie and the folks in our little area never used carrots and it was referred to as “peas, beans and potatoes”. Inland a few kms and it was called “hodge podge” and carrots were used..tasty either way and I now refer to it as “hodge podge” if I add the tasty fresh, tiny carrots! Nothing better and it is definitely not stew.,…. no meat anywhere in sight!

• movita beaucoup July 21, 2015 at 8:06 am #

We just had some hodge podge on the weekend, Joanne! Our first of the season (which is always the best), and lots of carrots!

41. Carla July 21, 2015 at 4:34 am #

Ii have eaten many a hodge podge in my many days growing up on the farm! We never put carrots in as I found they over powered the other vegetables! I’m 56 and my children make hodge podge some with carrots and some without. Delicious either way

• movita beaucoup July 21, 2015 at 8:07 am #

Agreed! The best part about hodge podge is that you can vary it easily. Every family has a slightly different version or different proportions!

42. Janet Curry July 22, 2015 at 10:07 am #

Thanks for the recipe. I love the comment, “Plus Allrecipes really scares me, a can of mushroom soup or a package of vanilla pudding is not an ingredient people.” –Not that I don’t use them as ingredients, well, not the pudding. 🙂

• movita beaucoup July 22, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

You are most welcome! I’ve always felt that pudding is meant to be eaten straight from the pot – no need to add it to anything or fancy it up. Hot and from the pot!

43. Jilly July 28, 2015 at 10:14 am #

I love this! Your recipe looked the best out of my Google of “hodge podge” (incidentally, do not search for it on Pinterest, as Mod Podge is what’ll come up…). It’s a dreary NS day here, and I’m excited to make this for supper! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!

• movita beaucoup July 29, 2015 at 7:19 am #

You’re right – Mod Podge is the Queen of Pinterest. And probably isn’t safe to eat in large quantities. I hope your belly is full of hodge podge and that your craving has been satiated!

44. Pat Walters August 4, 2015 at 6:27 pm #

This is a great article. I grew up in N.S. and had this dish often in the summer. My mother used salt pork (but years ago one could get decent salt pork). I guess one could substitute bacon. I have had to do that with baked beans. Got all ingredients except peas today so will make this tomorrow. Yum.

• movita beaucoup August 5, 2015 at 6:09 am #

We made it a couple of weekends ago, and had the tiniest peas ever! The shells looked big, but the peas hidden inside were fairy sized! Still, it was absolutely lovely and a great way to eat your veggies!

45. Kathy Fairfield August 11, 2015 at 4:26 pm #

Barbara, I knew about Hodge Podge from your posts on our Ruby Team, but this explained it much further and I just loved reading everything that was in this post. It makes it look all the more delicious and one day I am going to make it. Thank you so much

• movita beaucoup August 11, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

Dear Kathy,

I don’t know who Barbara is, but I sure am glad you plan to make hodge podge! I bet you’ll love it!

xox movita

46. Faye August 24, 2015 at 11:47 pm #

Thank you. I have a VERY old recipe card for hodge podge from my grandmother. She recommends boiling the veggies for about one hour. They really used to do that. I like your version much better but I do recall most of my older NS realitives overboil things.

• movita beaucoup August 25, 2015 at 5:25 am #

You’re right, Faye! My grandmothers were notorious over-boilers! I can even remember pots of tea stewing on the stove for hours at a time…

47. Felicia September 5, 2015 at 11:20 pm #

How long would you guys say it is good in the fridge ?

• movita beaucoup September 6, 2015 at 7:29 am #

We keep ours in the fridge for a couple of days – it never lasts longer than that!

48. NS born and bred September 6, 2015 at 3:17 pm #

Absolutely love hodgepodge! My Mom always made hers with a pinch of summer savoury…adds a bit more yum to the taste 😊

49. Kristi H September 12, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

I grew up in the valley of Nova Scotia and this is one of my favorite summer meals. I always look forward to my parents making it but now I make it myself. This recipe is perfect and I have made it many times this summer. Your measurements are perfect! Thanks again!

50. movita beaucoup December 1, 2015 at 7:58 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in June 2012. Happy baking!

1. The Pilgrims with Beautiful Feet Books | At The Well - December 8, 2013

[…] make the meal ourselves. Food is just a great hands on project for history. I found this recipe for Nova Scotia Hodge Podge and made it for the crew. I have no idea if this is what was actually served in Holland in the […]

2. “Secret Garden” series review | Noonas Over Forks 포크보다누나 - May 21, 2014

[…] Side dish: A random plot deserves a corresponding dish: Nova Scotia Hodge Podge. You will find the recipe and some pretty photos at Movita Beaucoup. […]

3. Warming Up For Food Day Canada ❂ Cream of Fresh Pea Soup | Life Through the Kitchen Window - July 2, 2014

[…] like maple syrup, back bacon, Nanaimo bars, poutine and Nova Scotia Hodge Podge (check out this recipe by the inimitable Movita Beaucoup). But really, Canadian food includes everything that is grown or […]

4. Hodgepode…My New Favourite :) | My Body. His Home. - September 3, 2014

[…] Source: Motiva Beaucoup […]

5. “Secret Garden” series review | Noonas Over Forks - October 7, 2014

6. Nova Scotia Dinner Recipes | We Get Healthy - December 6, 2014

[…] nova scotia hodge podge | movita beaucoup – Dear Movita, I have a cookbook you should borrow titled: Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens (A collection of traditional recipes of Nova Scotia and the story of the …… […]