seafood chowder 2.0

seafood chowder 2.0 | movita beaucoup

Today I have a guest post over on Cravings of a Lunatic. You should go visit me there. You can find out about how Kim Bee ruined my summer with a huge lie. Also, I tell you about this chowder – it’s pretty badass. And then Kim says a lot of nice stuff about me, and promises to buy me a unicorn. See you there!

(Also, once you fall in love with Kim, you can follow her adventures on facebook, pinterest, and twitter! Trust me, she’ll be the best friend you’ve never met.)

Seafood Chowder 2.0

recipe: inspired by Rose Dyer and Jackie Huskins

print and make

This chowder is very much like Beaucoup Seafood Chowder, but better, because I added a little of 2.0 and his family. (Not to be taken literally.)

• 3/4 cup butter, divided (divide into: 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup)
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • three dashes Tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 lb. haddock*
  • 1/2 lb. cod*
  • 1/2 lb. scallops – fresh or frozen, no need to defrost
  • 1 litre light cream (5% milk fat)
  • 1 cup heavy cream (35% milk fat)

* you could use just haddock or cod if you don’t want to use both – use a pound of whichever you choose

In a large Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter and then sauté the onions, carrots and celery over medium heat – allowing them to soften a little – about 5 minutes. Add the potato and add only enough chicken broth to barely cover (about 3 cups). Stir to combine and then cook until the potato is just barely tender (8-10 minutes).

As the potato is cooking, melt the remaining 1/4 cup of butter in a skillet over medium heat and then add the lobster pieces to the skillet. Cook the lobster until the butter has taken on an orangey-red colour from the lobster, and the lobster has heated through. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Add the basil, oregano, celery salt, paprika, pepper and Tabasco sauce to the vegetables in the Dutch oven and stir to combine. It will seem like a lot of spices, don’t worry. Layer the haddock, cod and scallops on top. Gently press the fish down so it is just covered with liquid. Cook only until fish barely flakes (4-5 minutes).

Add the lobster and every last drop of butter from the skillet to the Dutch oven. Reduce the heat to low. Add the heavy cream and the light cream. If you think you’re going to run out of room in the pot, skimp on the light cream, not the heavy.

Allow the chowder to warm through. Keep on low heat until serving or refrigerate and slowly heat up before serving. Don’t allow to boil.

Notes: I find chowder is best on the second day, so when entertaining, make it the day before – it will save you time and stress on the day as well.

After refrigeration, I put the pot on low and allow 30 minutes it to heat through. Do not allow the chowder to boil – low heat is key.

You will notice that the spices seem to sit on top of the chowder, like an oil slick. Don’t worry – when you serve, give a little stir and then scoop – just the right amount of spice will come up with the ladle.

21 Responses to seafood chowder 2.0

1. shannon August 27, 2012 at 7:52 am #

*omg, finally: i’m the first person to comment. that like, never happens. thankfully i happen to be up at an obscene hour of the morning.*

i’m so thrilled you made me seafood chowder; it’s one of my favorite things to scarf down, but i’ve never made it. why? because i’m scared i’ll ruin it. I’m going to give it a go, i think. I wonder if i can convince mr. table to take me driving through Nova Scotia for fish?

2. Liz August 27, 2012 at 8:29 am #

What amazing chowder!!! Full of the best of the best seafood. Once I find a unicorn, you might find me at your doorstep begging for a bowl! Beautifully done.

3. glutenfreezen August 27, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Mmm….I could have had this for breakfast this morning instead of leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy. Dangit! :)

4. DB-The Foodie Stuntman August 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

I love the hint about making this dish ahead of time.

5. spree August 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Second-day chowder and fresh crusty bread! Does life get better? It couldn’t by much! This is gorgeous!

6. Ann P August 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

I want someone to feed this to me while I read by the fire in a blanket. Is that too much to ask?!

7. Kim Bee August 28, 2012 at 12:49 am #

Multiple unicorns even! I mean once you have one what’s one more right.

I loves ya big time, long time. Thank you oodles and bunches Miss Movita.

On a side note my twitter is whack right now and won’t work so feel free to tweet like mad until mine gets off the crack.

8. Joanne August 28, 2012 at 7:39 am #

This chowder looks so hearty and full of deliciousness! Off to go check out your guest post!

9. Amy August 28, 2012 at 10:17 am #

This chowder sounds great…I prefer broth-based soups to creamy ones so this is right up my alley! Also, your guest post is, as expected, hysterical :)

10. Ashley - Baker by Nature August 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

I’m SO ready for soup season! This chowder looks phenomenal, love!

11. Eggton August 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

That chowder is bad ass. And YOU START BAKING SCHOOL IN FOUR DAYS HOLY CRAP!! Pretty soon you’re going to know 250 different kinds of bread that you could use to sop up that delicious seafood broth. I love that this recipe calls for celery salt. I was obsessed with it as a kid. I used to put it on everything and my mom had to do a celery salt intervention because she worried about all my internal organs. It was the first, and most successful, of many interventions, I might add. Now I’ve switched to lemon pepper. I put it on cottage cheese and that’s about it. Anyhoo, maybe someday you can make me a celery salt bread in baking school. xoxo

12. Emily Lynne / The Best of this Life August 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Your chowder looks perfect for Fall days ahead…keeping this one on file ;) Have a great weekend!

13. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise August 31, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

It is finally cooling down here and that chowder sounds like an amazing meal
    Heading over to your guest post :)

14. Faye September 2, 2012 at 11:16 am #

I really liked your swan lake story Movita! So funny :)

15. wendy@chezchloe September 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

That soup is looking rad and so is the bread… I’d guess potato bread. And the lunatic looks like a lot of fun. This recipe should definitely change her mind about seafood.
    You know you are spending a little too much time with virtual friends when you wake up in the middle of the night and ask yourself… “i wonder when Movita’s starting school’.
    Thinking of you on your special day… with your other thousand bff’s ;-)

16. chindeep3141 September 2, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

looks amazing!

17. Anonymous October 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

I just finished eating this chowder…Amazingly good!! Thank you

18. Patti August 30, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

I’m going to make this soon, but I do have a question about the paprika called for. Do you use just regular Paprika or Hungarian Paprika?

• movita beaucoup August 31, 2014 at 8:11 am #

Hi, Patti! I just use regular paprika. Not fancy, but still good!

• Michelle October 7, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Can you put shrimp in this chowder or does it change the flavor?

• movita beaucoup October 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

I haven’t ever tried it, Michelle, and therefore can’t recommend it. Sorry I can’t be of more assistance!