the winner and a thank you

bake my cake 2013: mellissa's cake | movita beaucoup

Hey there, cake fans! I’m pleased to declare Mellissa (of I Breathe… I’m Hungry) the 2013 Bake My Cake champ! Congrats on your sweet victory, lady! I hope bacon appreciates all you have done in its name. Your cake is a wonderful representation of what every graduation should be: a celebration. I can’t wait to send your prize!

I’d like to send a huge thank you out to all of this year’s competitors. A lot of time and effort goes into creating cakes like the ones we’ve seen this week, and I appreciate all you have done to support my blog and annual competitions. Thanks for your creativity and enthusiasm, for letting me make fun of you, and for being so supportive of your fellow competitors. It restores my faith in the awesomeness of people. As always, the entries were incredibly varied, and I hope this never changes. Hooray for cake diversity! Some of you have competed time and time again – you know who you are. These contests simply wouldn’t be the same without you.

Voters, we appreciate the time you took to head on over here to cast your votes in this epic buttercream battle. I know the words of support you left for the competitors all over the interwebs were appreciated.

And finally, I’d like to thank each and every one of you who stops by my little corner of the internet here. So many of you have offered words of encouragement this year – it was wonderful to have you all cheering me on. I haven’t been around as much as I would have liked – baking school combined with work made for a very exhausting, albeit exhilarating, year. I haven’t properly expressed my gratitude – mostly because I haven’t had the time to sit down and absorb it all. I have appreciated each and every kind word you have sent my way. And when I walk across the stage at Convocation this afternoon, I’ll take a little part of all of you with me.

I am touched by the generosity you’ve all shown, and I am honoured to count you among my friends.

Let’s go graduate, shall we?!

21 Responses to the winner and a thank you

1. shannon June 18, 2013 at 8:14 am #

oh good! i get to be the first person to congratulate mellissa on her big win – she beat the CRAP out of me yesterday. I mean, someone had to do it, so i’m happy it was melissa. and oh, lots of other people.
    if i didn’t love movita so much, i would say these contests are just my worst nightmare coming to life every time i participate. i make something, fail, make something, fail…and so it goes. But i love her. So i guess i’ll keep doing that as long as everyone is willing to really be inspired by my loser status. 🙂
    have such a great graduation today, Rachael!

• ibreatheimhungry June 18, 2013 at 9:41 am #

Thanks Shannon, winning was bittersweet I’m not gonna lie. I loved your cake, and last year’s cake too – you are no “loser”, that’s for sure! I wish we could have both won. I guess in a way we all did, because we got to show our support for the awesome Movita, and her truly amazing accomplishment of graduating this year. I had a great time getting to know you guys better through this whole experience! Looking forward to using your wee donut tutorial with my 6 year old son and his friends next week – they are going to love it! 🙂

2. Monica June 18, 2013 at 9:08 am #

Congratulations on this great accomplishment, Movita! Love your humor, love your blog.

• Eggton June 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Mellissa, your cake was RAD. Totally rad. That was a well deserved win, my lady! I always love your submissions.

And Movita, you’re graduating!!!

I hope you’re celebrating by wearing fancy underwear and sipping a mimosa before the ceremony. We’re so proud of you.

• ibreatheimhungry June 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Thanks so much Katherine, that means a lot coming from you! 🙂

3. Lan | morestomach June 18, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Congrats the winner!

as always, so fun to participate.

• ibreatheimhungry June 18, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Thanks Lan, I LOVED your peanut butter mousse cake! XO

4. ibreatheimhungry June 18, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Dear Movita, congratulations again and I hope you pirouette across that graduation stage with mad pride today! We are all so proud of you and your inspiring accomplishment. Not many would have the guts to go after their dream with as much gusto (and humor) as you did. We loves ya!

Thanks to everyone who voted for my magnum opus, the bacon cake! *pageant waves* I had a great time entering this year, but I think I’m going to retire from Bake my Cake while on top. As much fun as it was to make a cake and submit it to the contest, I think I’m more comfortable cheering from the sidelines than actually being in the trenches with the other contestants. Plus it’s likely that I peaked with my unfair bacon advantage (bacon may be banned from Bake my Cake forever now, sorry about that), and it’s all downhill for me from here. Also these contests are mad stressful, yo!

Thanks again to Movita for hosting this contest, and Bake it Pretty, where I will be shopping all morning to spend my bacon acquired winnings! XOXO 🙂

5. craftytammie June 18, 2013 at 10:54 am #

happy happy graduation day movita! and congrats to the winner. i missed participating this round, but loved all of the entries!

6. Cravings of a Lunatic June 18, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Miss Movita I am so very proud of you and I sure hope we get to see some pics of you in your cap and gown. You are amazing, way to go for your dreams lady.

Congrats to Mellz. You did it girl. I knew once I saw bacon and ice cream cones you were a lock.

So impressed by everyone’s cakes. Movita sure knows how to draw in some serious talent. And some of us crazy people. We love you Movita.

7. rockandwool June 18, 2013 at 11:59 am #

I feel like a kid in a candyshop::::::::sweetened / intoxicated with all this L O V E.
    Movita definitely has made our world smaller + much more delicious!!

I simply can’t get enough of her words, the recipes and the contestants.
    Every morning I wake up to hopefully find another MOVITA BEAUCOUP posting in my email box.

Carry on, everybody,
    and remember :::::::::::::::LET THEM EAT CAKE ——x
    Teri in Oregon

8. frugalfeeding June 18, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

What a ridiculous cake (in a good way). I’d like a slice. Yes please. I would.

9. Jennie June 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Hats off to you, my friend. You should be very proud of yourself. I hope your future is full of colorful and shimmery sprinkles. I hope to one day eat an original Movita muffin, cake, or brownie. That cake is perfect for celebrating such an amazing success.

10. Bonnie June 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Movita, you have such a great blog, with your wit, your way of expressing yourself, your humour, your pictures. I love dropping by just to see what you have to say, and I, dare I admit it, am not a culinary person, and that is an understatement. Keep up the great blog, (if you have any time), since you are a very busy ballet baker. Congratulations again on the big graduation.

11. gottagetbaked June 19, 2013 at 1:18 am #

This cake is incredible! Way to go, Mellissa! And way to go, Movita! Congratulations on your graduation – a very hard fought and well deserved accomplishment. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you girl. Now go and drink – LOTS! You deserve to celebrate.

12. Ashley Bee June 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

It was awesome to watch! Had I been any better at cake decorating I would have put my name in 😉

13. Choc Chip Uru June 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Ooh congrats on graduation my friend!
    And Melissa you deserved to win without a doubt, this cake looks like heaven!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

14. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 10:32 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in June 2013. Thanks for stopping by!

1. Bacon Chocolate Mocha Ice Cream Cake - Low Carb & Gluten Free - I Breathe... I'm Hungry... - June 18, 2013

[…] Meet the winner of Bake my Cake 2013! Thanks for all of your votes Peeps, together we (and bacon) crushed the sugar-lovin’ […]

2. Low Carb Coffee Ice Cream - I Breathe... I'm Hungry... - June 29, 2013

[…] ice cream recipe from the Bacon Chocolate Mocha Ice Cream Cake  (winner of Movita Beaucoup’s Bake My Cake 2013 competition). In my frenzy to get the IBIH Summer Recipes 2013 e-zine published, I haven’t […]

3. Strawberry Mug Cake (Low Carb and Gluten Free) - I Breathe... I'm Hungry... - July 3, 2013

[…] spent on a gajillion vintage paper straws I don’t need but couldn’t resist) for winning Bake My Cake 2013, she also sent me all this other fun loot (and a lovely card) that will (supposedly) take my baking […]