chocolate pudding

This is not a lava cake. It is not a molten cake. I don’t care what you say. It’s chocolate pudding. That’s the proper name. I’ll go so far as to call it chocolate pudding cake for you, but that’s it. This perfect confection doesn’t need a trendy name. Nope. No way. It needs an old fashioned name. A name that confuses people. “Chocolate pudding?”  That’s what you’ll ask. You’ll be all, “but there’s awesome chocolate cake in there. Bill Cosby never said nuthin’ about cake livin’ in his pudding.” And I’ll say, “yah, I know. Deal with it.” Because sometimes chocolate can teach you a lesson. Today’s lesson is: trust movita.

Hey, have you noticed that I’m really into italics these days? It’s like I can’t stop myself. Well, I could stop myself, but I don’t feel like it.

This is an easy dessert to throw together at the last minute. Like, say, when you’re having an almost-nervous-breakdown about something. Chocolate can fix that. Or maybe you make it when some stupid plonker just stops by because he/she was thinking of you and happened to be in the neighbourhood. (Actually you probably shouldn’t encourage that sort of behaviour with chocolate pudding. You should probably say, “hey, doofus, next time just send me an e-card.”)

When this pudding comes out of the oven you’ll hear the chocolate sauce bubbling away under the cake. That’s the sound of the sauce trying to run away from your face. But the chocolate cake holds the sauce down. It’s holding the sauce down until you can get there. It’s holding it down while people start yelling, “fight, fight, fight!” And then you eat it. And you are happy.

The cake is chocolatey and soft. The sauce is warm and sweet. I think you should make this.

(I’m not kidding. Make it now.)

Chocolate Pudding - inspired by Jackie Huskins and Adele Smith (Jackie’s cousin) - print and bake

Serves 4-6. When baked, this pudding has chocolate sauce on the bottom with cake on top.

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cocoa into a medium sized bowl.

Add the milk, melted butter and vanilla and mix until just combined. Stir in the pecans.

Spread the batter evenly in the bottom of a shallow 1 quart baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons of cocoa. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over the batter in the baking dish.

Then pour the boiling water over the top of the contents of the baking dish. Do not mix.

Bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is a delightful garnish!

37 Responses to chocolate pudding

1. Emmalina November 27, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I ruv you Shaggy.

2. frugalfeeding November 27, 2011 at 10:04 am #

Movita, that looks absolutely divine. SO chocolaty… I want to eat it all up :D

• movita beaucoup November 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Right? Right? You need this pudding. You need it in your belly.

3. Karen November 27, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Whatever you call it, I think I will call it delicious.

4. The Neighbour November 27, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Oh My God…..how delicious looking is this!?!?!?

• movita beaucoup November 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

I’ve made chocolate pudding TWICE this week. I’m surprised you couldn’t smell it. Oh wait… you’ve got fancy new doors. You probably can’t smell any of your stinky neighbours now.

• The Neighbour November 28, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Aren’t the fancy new doors purdy? Not only can I NOT smell my neighbours, I don’t hear them either….well, except for the large fellow across the street panting and gasping for air when he shovels…..keep 9-11 on speed dial for that one.

5. teri November 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

YoU are so funny.
    How can I delete your messages + recipes when YOU are too KooL for words?
    What a spicy girL you are!!!
    Thanks over + over for sharing
    your
    spicy
    & sweet heart.

Cheers!!!
    ps. ok. ok. I’ll make this tonight. thanX again.

6. Mama's Gotta Bake November 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

Comfort food at its best! Can’t wait to try it!

7. Just A Smidgen November 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Hmmm, I’m thinking that your “plonker” is not as stupid as you think.. I suspect he knows that dropping by your home brings out all sorts of magical chocolaty heavenliness… I think I would like to become a plonker too:)

• movita beaucoup November 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

Good point. If only I could control my own need for baked goods…

8. Eggton November 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Wow this looks good. How on Earth do you resist the urge to mix the boiling water into the contents of the baking dish? To me, that’s like putting a Haribo gummy bear in my mouth and then telling me not to chew it. But I could probably control myself if the outcome looks as good as these “puddings.”

• movita beaucoup November 27, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

I’m pickin’ up what you’re puttin’ down. When a server tells me not to touch a hot plate at a restaurant, it takes every fibre of my body to resist doing so. It’s a problem.

9. Savory Simple November 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

I would like to eat this. It looks way more exciting than my version of pudding!

10. Pushpa@tasteasyoucook November 27, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Delightful treat,looks delicious.

11. pencilkitchen November 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

oh this is just mouth-watering… >.<

12. Barb B. November 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm #

Now, this recipe is THE one i have been searching for…until today!!!

• movita beaucoup November 28, 2011 at 6:23 am #

Yay! (Wait… now you’ll have to find a new quest…)

13. Ann November 28, 2011 at 1:03 am #

absolutely amazing. must eat now!

14. Anna November 28, 2011 at 4:06 am #

I think Chocolate Pudding Cake suits the dish pretty well. So tempting…I want to have a bite, I am making one now!!! Yum!Yum! Thanks for sharing!

15. the purple spoon November 28, 2011 at 7:50 am #

oh wow! this looks amazing! yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ll be making this :)

16. Dave November 28, 2011 at 8:46 am #

The recipe for our raisin pudding contains my favourite instructions ever written in the history of food. “Add a piece of butter the size on an egg.”

• movita beaucoup November 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

I will try to work that measurement into one of my next recipes. Because it is AWESOME.

17. Barbara Kelley November 28, 2011 at 10:15 am #

I surely will be making this…this week! There was one complaint that I had no chocolate desserts at Thanksgiving.

• movita beaucoup November 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

WHAT? No chocolate? But, but… I don’t even know what to say. Wait. Yes I do: make a chocolate dessert next year. (Tee hee!)

18. Cayla December 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

i think this might satisfy my never ending sweet tooth!

19. Julia December 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

When I saw that first picture I hyperventilated a little bit. I think it’s because it looks AMAZING.

20. notoula December 23, 2011 at 2:57 am #

Hello from Greece! I made yesterday your chocolate pudding!
    It was fantastic!!!

• movita beaucoup December 23, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Yay! Thanks for taking the time to stop by to let me know! I’m so glad you liked the pudding…

21. laila Alive December 28, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Your post made me giggle. And drool. It was quite the scene.

22. iani January 4, 2012 at 12:58 am #

I’ve made this stuff about three times in the past two months. It is divine, everyone loves it! =D

• movita beaucoup January 4, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Yay! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. Now I’m craving some…

23. Can't live without.... January 24, 2012 at 11:39 am #

wow…drool!!!! i have to make it now…or maybe when i get home from work!

1. justbesplendid: Chocolate pudding by Movita Beaucoup Serves 4-6. When baked, this pudding has chocol » Children of Isis - December 13, 2011

[...] Chocolate pudding by Movita Beaucoup [...]