jackie’s spicy chicken wings

spicy chicken wings | movita beaucoup

On September 11th, 2.0 and I celebrated our third anniversary. We celebrated by eating 31 chicken wings. That’s how we do romance. Chicken wings followed by a good flossing of one’s teeth.

jackie's chicken wings | movita beaucoup

I’ve been hearing about these wings for a while. 2.0’s mummy, Jackie, passed the recipe on to us. 2.0’s sister, Kim, told me they were like, the best chicken wings ever. Spicy and tasty, and the best chicken wings ever. When someone gets all up in my face and says something is the best thing ever, I’ve gotta have it. So, another visit with the Ocean Family was spent scribbling down recipes in the kitchen.

jackie's chicken wings | movita beaucoup

These wings are so easy to make that even 2.0 could do it. He made the sauce. And there was limited supervision. I remember him calling from the kitchen, “this sauce doesn’t taste very spicy…” And I told him that I remembered Kim being very specific about the spiciness of the wings. But we were filled with doubt. I wondered if Kim was one of those people who thinks black pepper is terribly exotic and too hot to handle. This seemed unlikely, but still, we were doubtful.

The recipe is pretty straight forward. You bake some chicken wings, let them cool, and then cover them with the sauce to marinate. The key to success is the marination – for the day or overnight. The original recipe then tells you to heat them under the broiler before serving, but I found that the wings were getting a little too singed. So I baked the little buggers to reheat them instead. (Keep an eye on your wings – make sure your first bake has cooked them through, and that you don’t overdo it on the reheating.)

jackie's chicken wings | movita beaucoup

I know this isn’t a traditional method – baking then marinating – but it’s how Jackie does it, so it’s how we do it. Guess what? The wings were spicy. Our noses got a little sniffly. The chicken was tender and tasty. Our fingers were covered in ooey-gooey goodness, and our faith in Kim was restored. They had just the right amount of kick, and honestly? They were the best wings I’ve had in ages. Maybe the best wings ever.

Jackie’s Spicy Chicken Wings

recipe: adapted from a recipe from 2.0’s mummy, Jackie, original source unknown

print and make this romantic meal

Yields 2 lbs. chicken wings.

• 2 lbs. chicken wings
  • 1/2 cup Heinz 57 sauce
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mise en place – begin by getting organized. Measure out all of your ingredients. Line baking sheets with foil.

Pre-heat oven to 475°F. Place chicken wings on foil-lined baking sheets, and then bake for about 30 minutes. The wings should be browned and the juices should run clear. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.

As the wings are cooling, make the sauce. Combine the Heinz 57 sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano and black pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Dip and roll the wings in the sauce. Place the wings in a large baking dish (spread any leftover sauce on top of the wings), cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight (or for at least several hours). You could also marinate the wings in a ziplock bag if you need to save space in the refrigerator. I like to cover loosely in the fridge until completely cooled (to allow steam to escape) and then tightly seal once chilled.

Pre-heat oven to 450°F. If your wings were marinating in a baking dish, remove the cover/wrap and put directly into the oven. If your wings were marinating in a bag, transfer them to a large baking dish to bake. Heat the wings (turning at least once) until browned and hot – about 10-15 minutes.

21 Responses to jackie’s spicy chicken wings

1. Kelly September 28, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Wow these look incredible, what a great recipe!! Love your blog, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

2. maudiemaudie September 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I have a very important question, seeing as how I’m your self appointed chief taste tester and all – what is Heinz 57 sauce? Cos I thought you meant ketchup and then that was next on the list. I need to know – and can I get it in France?

• movita September 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Here’s the info (no way France would stock stuff like this!) http://www.heinz57.com/
      Do you want me to mail you some? (I’m not kidding!)

• maudiemaudie September 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

That looks delish! I’m going to see if I can get my family in the UK to source (sauce geddit!) some for me, otherwise, you never know I might take you up on your offer (or turn up on your doorstep). Maybe I could make some myself – a French version. I guess there’s spices and tomato purée and maybe tabasco or something like that in it. Hmm… off to have a think.

• maudiemaudie September 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

PS I just discoverd I can buy it on Amazon UK!!

• Adopamop September 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

I see you’ve found it on Amazon (assuming they’ll ship to France, I’ve had more benign things refused!) but otherwise a decent sized “hypermarche” could very well have it in the “produits du monde” section. I’ve found things I’ve never heard of before there!

• movita September 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Heinz is going to owe me big…

• maudiemaudie September 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

What a kind family you are! I’ll look in Leclercs next week or failing that have a look in Carrefour next time I’m there. I find big hypermarchés overwhelming now. I’m used to sauce – red or brown, veg; cauliflower or carrot, in my local, I can’t cope with choice anymore. And visiting the UK now – I could spend a whole day in a supermarket looking at the choice.

• movita September 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

One day The Beaucoups will run the world. Because we’d be good at it.

Hope you find the sauce – you NEED to make yourself some chicken wings!

3. emmalina73 September 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm #

Being a civilised British type I’ve never understood the allure of chicken wings. But those, well they look rather good. I might just come over all Canadian and give them a try. Eh?

• movita September 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Okay, normally you tell me all about British things, and I’m all: wow, British people are so smart and stuff. And now I’m thinking: wow, what kind of person isn’t into chicken wings? Oh, wait, BRITISH PEOPLE.

I’ll still like you and everything, but… try the wings.

4. Jen at The Three Little Piglets September 29, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

Those look awesome! My idea of a hot date is one that I can wear jeans on, and just about anything to do with food – a beer, a farmer’s market, eating cheese… Happy anniversary!

• movita September 30, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Thanks, Jen! (Our lives here at the Cat Farm are pretty food centred, so why should we change on special occasions? Tee hee!)

5. Z Joya September 30, 2011 at 6:54 am #

now I’m hungry:)

6. thebountifulplate October 3, 2011 at 5:32 am #

Oh I love the romance in your marriage! We’d have done the same… 🙂

7. Kelly Neil June 26, 2013 at 8:51 am #

We LURVE wings!! Making these on our next date night.

8. Beth September 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Why don’t you marinate the chicken wings before you bake them? Just curious.

• movita beaucoup September 30, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Because that’s not how Jackie does it!

9. movita beaucoup May 12, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in September 2011. Happy cooking!

1. Chicken Wings Recipes–Best of the Best from Pinterest | iPinnedIt.com – I Pinned It - July 16, 2013

[…] Jackie’s Spicy Chicken Wings {source: Movita Beaucoup} […]