weekend salmon

easy to make poached salmon

Hello, friends. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’ve slowed down on my posts a little. Not because I don’t want to be here; quite the opposite, actually. I love you in a way that makes other people very uncomfortable. But I’m having a wee problem with writer’s block. Well, not writer’s block exactly. You see, normally I do a lot of dumb stuff, and then I tell you about it. Or I tell you about the dumb stuff 2.0 does. Or the ridiculous crap my family does. And all that stuff adds up to about 80% of this blog’s content. Our combined ineptitude is pure gold for a blog writer. But lately? We’ve been making rational decisions. Things are running smoothly. It’s a real pain in the ass.

So, I got to thinking about what I could do for you. What little gem I could pass on to you to make up for my relentlessly boring life. You know, until I can start doing some more dumb/exciting stuff. So I give to you: Weekend Salmon. Because even an idiot could make it.

easy to make poached salmon

(Uh, there’s no rosemary in this recipe. I just thought it would look pretty. Deal.)

I titled this recipe Weekend Salmon because there’s vodka in it. Apparently, some people just drink alcohol on the weekends, so there’s the tie-in. Also, it’s easy to make. So, when you get home from work on a Friday night, ready to chug back some vodka, you can just throw the ingredients (and a little of your precious hooch) in a skillet and walk away. If you have a rice maker, you’re really in luck. Cuz’ you could just chuck some rice in there and dinner will have basically made itself.

You’re welcome.

Weekend Salmon

recipe: inspired by exhaustion and a recipe found in the Liverpool Priva-Cheer Cookbook (2009)

print and make this ridiculously simple meal

You will need a large skillet with a tight fitting lid.

• 1 can (28 fl. oz) whole tomatoes
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons vodka
  • 1 teaspoon horseradish
  • few splashes Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • salmon fillets, only as many as will fit with space between each in your skillet (I’m guessing 4-6 maximum, and you’ll want them to be of a similar thickness so they all finish cooking at the same time)

In a large skillet/sauté pan (you will need a lid), over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, shallots, vodka, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, celery, and pepper and bring to a gentle simmer. Break up the tomatoes with the back of your spoon.

Once simmering, lay the salmon fillets over the top of the sauce, cover with a tight lid, and let the salmon poach for about 10-12 minutes, until just cooked through. (Salmon takes about 10-12 minutes per inch of thickness to cook. To avoid overcooking, remember that fish will continue to cook for a minute or two when coming off the heat. Cooked salmon will be opaque in colour.)

Serving suggestion: with potatoes or over rice.

29 Responses to weekend salmon

1. Eggton January 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Dude, I hear you. Maybe you should join a cult just to ensure that weird stuff keeps happening? Or pretend you’re pregnant and enroll in a birthing class and report back to the rest of us. Or tell 2.0 you’re just going to have to set up a profile on a dating service JUST FOR A LITTLE WHILE. FOR YOUR WRITING.

This salmon looks terrific. I just got some to throw into an israeli cous cous salad, but yours looks way better. So good that it almost makes you look like you have your life together. Which, thankfully for us readers, you do not.

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

2.0 can be a real jerk about my online dating. It’s a real pain in the ass, because it really would help my blog. Also, I’m glad that SOMEONE out there appreciates that I’m a complete disaster. (I do it all for you.)

2. Bonnie January 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Uneventful? Boring? I don’t think so. I don’t know how you do all you do and still have time to share on your blog. I think you are a very talented lady!!!

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Aw, thanks Bonnie! That’s why I loves ya so!

3. bocafrau January 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Have to try this one. Hubby just bought a hunk of salmon at Costco and I love eating it… and a new recipe is what we are always looking for. Thanks. Have a great weekend.

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

I’m loving’ the phrase “hunk of salmon!”

4. Ann January 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

“We’re making rational decisions. Things are running smoothly. And to be frank, it’s a real pain in the ass.” HAHAa, you have summed up the sentiment that I feel 70% of the time. 🙂 This salmon looks terrific BTW. boozy entree = always a good thing!

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Booze + anything = a good thing!!

5. Nicole @ Bake Me Blush January 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Ah well, writer’s block happens. It can take a long time to pass. I love salmon, and yours looks delicious — nice and simple, too. That’s the way I like it.

6. Kelly January 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

This looks amazing, what a gorgeous presentation! LOVE your blog, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

But you’re a blogging goddess! (I’m. Not. Worthy…)

7. Isabelle @ Crumb January 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

My suggestion? Toss back a couple of shots of vodka while making this salmon. Then toss back a couple more shots while you eat this salmon. Finish with one last shot of vodka for dessert.
    Hilarity will ensue. And possibly also puking, but that can sometimes be hilarious (in retrospect, that is). 🙂
    (BTW, that salmon looks awesome. I may make some during the week, because I’m a rebel like that.)

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Aaaaand this is why I follow your blog. Because you are very, very wise.

8. Kristi Rimkus January 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Now this is a salmon recipe like none other that I’ve ever seen. Love the horseradish, vodka and tomato combo!

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

AND… wait for it… I ate some of the leftover salmon and sauce over pasta. It was yummers!

9. freespiriteater January 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

I had salmon for dinner earlier, but never prepared like this, wow! Completely blows away what I just ate lol. I have to try this recipe out sometime, it looks incredibly delicious! Gorgeous photos too! Have a good one =]

• movita beaucoup January 22, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

Why, thank you! But I’ve seen your blog, so I’m thinking dinner at your place is a pretty sa-weet deal on most nights!

10. spree January 23, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Are you Kidding me? You’ve been doing all this fabulous stuff – making beautiful blushing chairs from roadside finds, making catbird seats for the window, making gorgeous plates of food, doing silly things just to make people laugh and I’m just NOW finding you? (Thank you, FrugalFeeding for pointing me here!) love your blog, and happy to be following! At last!

• movita beaucoup January 23, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I’m glad to have found you too. It’s like When Harry Met Sally. But without Harry and a lot more food…

11. Kim Bee January 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Lol I hate when life runs smoothly and I have nothing to write about too. Luckily you saved yourself with this brilliant recipe.

12. Alexis @ There She Goes January 24, 2012 at 9:42 am #

this looks awesome! ive had a serious salmon craving lately too

13. emma schultz January 25, 2012 at 10:13 am #

I HAVE NO VODKA. OR BUTTER. Not that the butter part matters for this recipe, but it matters for lyfe, since it’s a full-blown crisis.

Love your salmon and boringness. Why do you think British cooking folk call it Worcester sauce while the rest of us saucy peoples call it Worcestershire? I assume all your ho-humming writer’s block will allow you to come up with a stellar answer to this conundrum.

• movita beaucoup January 25, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Pondering… pondering…

Nope. Nuffin’.

14. Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) January 28, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

This looks amazing! you have so much delicious stuff on your blog 🙂 so glad to be a new follower!

15. The Conservative Hill Billy January 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Reblogged this on theconservativehillbilly and commented:
    This looks awesome!

16. Jany@SuperCuteCookies February 3, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Thank you for sharing, I have to try this recipe!

17. movita beaucoup June 2, 2015 at 7:32 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in January 2012. Happy cooking!