crap no. 12

gingerbread house | movita beaucoup

Welcome to Crap I’ve Been Meaning To Tell You About, 12th Edition. This edition features photos of the gingerbread house I made last year. Ebony was sick over the 2013 holiday season, so I didn’t get around to finishing my gingerbread house until April. So, though you could think of its completion as four months late, you could also argue that I finished it eight months early.

Speaking of Ebony, in the final year of her life, I developed a ground breaking system of communication which I call: Hand-to-Paw CCSL (Canadian Cat Sign Language). Because she was deaf and almost blind, I felt the need to develop a means of communicating with her. It was a Helen Keller/Anne Sullivan type of situation. I created a system of finger taps, swipes, excited gesturing and very loud yelling to converse with her. Unfortunately, Ebony despised having her paws touched, so our training sessions often ended in bickering (not that she could hear my side of things). I’m sad to report that Ebony passed away before I could complete my research and share my discoveries in a veterinary journal of medicine.

gingerbread house | movita beaucoup

This year, I’ve learned that 2.0 falls asleep the second I start talking about my dreams and aspirations. Even if standing up. Here’s hoping I can finally tell him about my life in 2015.

Speaking of falling asleep, I hate The Notebook and Titanic. So much so that when people tell me they like those movies, I immediately think: I never want to look at your face again.

gingerbread house | movita beaucoup

Remember when I told you that 2.0 is an Erections Specialist? He uses these forms at work:

crap | movitabeaucoup.com

To the person who invented that form: You’re probably a drunk, but I like you anyway.

Effie staged a short hunger strike this week when we began attempting to feed her some vet-prescribed food. After a few incredibly stressful days and a number of conversations about nutrition and doing things because I say so, she is now gobbling up her new food. To celebrate this small victory (and Caturday), I made this video in which Effie is finally permitted to play with my apron strings:

Lastly, don’t forget to enter Ginger 2014! The deadline for entries is Monday, December 15th. If you’re afraid to bake something from scratch, buy a kit and trick something out!

gingerbread house | movita beaucoup

• find information on Ginger 2014 here
  • hang out with me on Facebook by clicking here
  • read about the time I ate moths here

19 Comments

1. rosiebeaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Such a beautiful house. I’d like to live there.

• movita beaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm

That’s exactly why it’s called Rose Cottage.

2. sublimedelights on December 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I love the rose cottage! great detail and I definitely want to live there too. Very inspiring. Making gingerbread today 🙂

• movita beaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I love that you referred to my house as Rose Cottage, as that’s exactly what I named it! Great minds…

3. natalie @ wee eats on December 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm

We call our kitties paw pads their jelly beans. They also hate it when we touch their jelly beans. Must just be a cat thing.

• movita beaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Effie and Niles don’t mind having their jelly beans massaged, but I’ve been doing that since they were born to teach them not to scratch. Ebony, on the other hand, was trained by 2.0. Trained to rule the streets. She was a badass.

4. thatskinnychickcanbake on December 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm

What a gorgeous gingerbread house…maybe someday I’ll graduate past the graham cracker/canned frosting version 🙂

• movita beaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Do it! I’ve seen your skillz – you’d be a Ginger savant!!

5. Paul Caskey on December 7, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Movita, you phreak me out with your baking. So much so that I’m contemplating a reinvention of self as a baker, but then there’s you with your gingerbread and buttercream and tutued poodles, and, well, you’ve raised the barre high. Speaking of barre, because I like your cakes so much, I’d like to offer you a pair of tickets to Ballet BC on February 11. You can award them to a reader, console a Ginger 2014 wannabe, whatever you want. Just keep the cakes coming!

• movita beaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 7:24 pm

OHMYGOSH! This is exciting on so many levels! First, thanks for making me like a Baking SuperWizard – it’s nice to know my poodles are appreciated. Second, Paul, go to baking school! It’s the best! You’ll wanna throw up every morning AND you’ll get to eat the best stuff ever (which makes up for the initial feeling of barfiness). Reinventing oneself is terrifying – but oh, so sweet! I highly recommend it.

Also, I have a very special use for your generous ticket offer – I’ll email you with the Top Secret Deets!

6. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on December 7, 2014 at 7:38 pm

THAT’S what we have to compete against? That will definitely lose the craptastic prize. I love the cats’ video. My cats don’t do cute stuff. Yesterday I could have filmed a cat with a dead mouse and another cat with a lizard who’d had his legs chewed off. Not cute!

• movita beaucoup on December 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Oh, Maureen! I don’t compete. For a time there, I lost every one of my competitions. One year, my pumpkin got ONE VOTE. That means even my FAMILY didn’t vote for me. Thus, I leave it to the pros now. (It’s more fun being the Ginger Boss anyway.)

Your cats sound badass.

7. Willow @ Will Cook For Friends on December 8, 2014 at 9:48 am

That gingerbread house is rockin! I finally finished mine, but I’m not sure it can compete with all those wee roses. Also, I could watch that cat video all day. I love how Effie is so playful while the other cat (Niles?) couldn’t care less. “What’s that? Apron strings? Not interesting.”

• movita beaucoup on December 10, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Well, it’s a good thing I don’t compete in my own competitions any more! Though your teaser photos make me think your ginger creation is gunna be pretty awesome!

Effie is OBSESSED with my apron strings. It’s a real problem. Niles is obsessed with everything but. That video captures him at his most uninterested.

8. Jenni Field (@PastryChfOnline) on December 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

The cat video is the best. So is the Rose Cottage. The Erection Form made me very…something. I haven’t come up with a descriptor yet. The movie Titanic makes me want to stab myself, and I’ve never even wanted to see The Notebook. And, for the record, I read the blog post title as “Crap! I’ve been meaning to tell you about…”

9. Nancy @ gottagetbaked on December 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Having never seen the Notebook is a source of pride for me. I refuse to give in and drink the kool-aid. In fact, Nicholas Sparks is a blight upon the planet. Stop posting photos of your perfect gingerbread house to make all of us hacks feel bad! It’s absolutely gorgeous. I wish I lived in it and could slowly eat myself out of house and home.

10. Sandra R on December 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Love the cat video!! The music is wonderful too. I can tell, you are into minimalist modern. White walls, white curtains, white bed linens…..unless this is a mental institution? No, they wouldn’t let you have cats!!!! The light on the cats was beautifully ?recorded/ photographed.
    And your gingerbread house, sigh. I know better than to attempt this. I have seen those “nailed it” things on Pinterest. That is where I would wind up. But you!!! Lovely.

11. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen on December 11, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Oh my gosh.. that is the most beeaauuuttiiifffuuull gingerbread cake I’ve ever seen!! You must do a video showing how to make those sweet little roses too!! I’m swooning, this is just my sort of gingerbread house and you know I want one:D Oh, well.. I will make a boring one from a kit.

12. Marlene Cornelis on December 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Your gingerbread house is utterly charming! And I enjoyed the cat video too, although the proximity of the bed to the daily erection report was somewhat … unsettling. I’m not going to think about that too much. Instead I’m going to go back to wondering how you made those delightfully curly roof tiles