ginger 2016: winners declared!

Are you ready? Would you like to know who won Ginger 2016 – the sweetest battle on the planet? Excellent. And we’ll get to that, but first I’d like to delve into the history of gingerbread. We’ll begin in ancient Greece and then tour through centuries of spiced baked goods and construction techniques.

A favourite treat at medieval European fairs and festivals, gingerbread has evolved considerably with the passage of time –

No? Not interested?

Well, after some serious deliberation, the 2016 Ginger Panel has selected our champions:

1st place: lisa’s ginger brothel

ginger 2016 // movita beaucoup

Sex for the win! Shannon (Ginger 2016 panelist) wrote:

… it’s a brothel made of ginger, which, hey – not a bad idea to consider making actual brothels out of ginger to make them more appealing and less entirely… ew. Although I suppose logistically, it could be hard. Bet they could do it in Vegas: everything else looks like it’s constructed from gingerbread there, so if anyone could do it, the Las Vegasans could.

Good point, Shannon. A number of panelists also indicated that Lisa’s piping skills had wooed them like a… well, like a brothel employee might charm a customer. (Gosh, I love this competition!)

2nd place: barb’s christmas wishes

ginger 2016 // movita beaucoup

Adopamop (Ginger Expert) wrote:

Barb’s Christmas wishes figures highly on our list mainly due to the (exploitative?) invocation on “cute” animal imagery – well played Barb – well played.

Believe me, Barb, Adopamop doesn’t hand out almost-compliments like that very often! I’d like to add that the mind-blowing stonework was mentioned by more than one panelist when casting their votes. Well played indeed, Barb!

2016 people’s choice prize: kerri’s firehouse of heroes

ginger 2016 // movita beaucoup

With a total of 792 votes, Kerri’s sentimental favourite received more online votes than any other creation in Ginger history! I’m going to assume that every firefighter in Fort McMurray pitched in to secure Kerri’s sweet victory! Well deserved, Kerri, and an absolutely wonderful tribute to the first responders serving our communities with courage and compassion.

Congrats Lisa, Barb and Kerri! It should be noted that Lisa and Barb also took 2nd and 3rd place respectively in online polling. These three ladies obviously won a lot of hearts this week!

I’d like to send a huge thank you out to the members of the Ginger Panel. These poor people were placed in the unenviable position of picking a winner from 18 glorious entries, and received nothing in return. Thank you for your service!

I’d like to congratulate myself for reading another one of Adopamop’s ginger essays on the various attributes that make up a PROPER ginger creation. (Someone took his position on the Ginger Panel very seriously again this year.)

And finally, I’d like to thank all of this year’s competitors. I can personally attest to the amount of time and energy that goes into creating ginger masterpieces like the ones we’ve seen this week, and I appreciate all you have done to support my blog and annual competitions. I thought this year’s ginger essays and festive notes were the best we’ve seen to date! You have inspired the masses with your ingenuity and humour. Thanks for being such good sports, for letting me make fun of you, and for being so supportive of your fellow competitors. I hope you had as much fun as I did!

In an online world so often filled with negativity, I am incredibly proud to have had the opportunity to share some good cheer and incredible gingering. I can’t wait to do it all over again in 2017.

Happy holidays!

12 Responses to ginger 2016: winners declared!

1. Stephbo December 23, 2016 at 1:39 pm #

Congratulations to all of the winners! The competition was fierce, and the accolades are well deserved. Thanks for sponsoring this competition, Rachel!

• movita beaucoup December 23, 2016 at 6:09 pm #

You are most welcome, my gingery princess!

2. Cyndy December 23, 2016 at 1:40 pm #

Thank you for hosting this event and I am looking forward to seeing more amazing things throughout the year! Nice job everybody!

• movita beaucoup December 23, 2016 at 6:12 pm #

Cyndy, in his judgemental ginger essay my brother wrote of your entry: … execution is on another level and attention to detail is off the charts… In other words: you impressed him! Well done! (We can’t wait to see what you come up with next year!)

3. Rosie Beaucoup December 23, 2016 at 2:47 pm #

Voting was soooooooo hard. I wanted to vote for just about all of them!

4. Jenni December 23, 2016 at 3:51 pm #

Congratulations to the winners! Judging was really hard. Lots of wonderful entries, as always! A propos of nothing, I passed judgment while getting my hair dyed pink and purple. My hairdresser was duly impressed with the entries as well!

• movita beaucoup December 23, 2016 at 6:14 pm #

I think your hair made you extra Ginger smart!

5. thatskinnychickcanbake December 23, 2016 at 5:12 pm #

What spectacular creations! Since I’m incapable of piping a straight line, I’m in awe of all the entries and especially these winners.!!! Merry Christmas!!!

6. Lisa December 23, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

Wow, I’m speechless.. – thanks for this great honor, guys! Congrats to Barb & Kerri, too! Y’all are amazing. This competition was a hoot, and exactly what I needed to get through the holidays (well, 2016..)

What the photos don’t show is there is a water wheel feature in the back of the house. I tried to think of the essentials, as hygiene is paramount in this profession. Just keeping it clean, ladies.. Thanks to Rachael for hosting such a fun event. Looking forward to next year!

• movita beaucoup December 23, 2016 at 6:16 pm #

Just thinking about the hygiene required has… just a sec… *gags*… made me even happier that your entry took top prize.

I’m gunna go wash my hands now…

7. Mellissa Sevigny December 24, 2016 at 10:34 am #

Another incredible year of fantastic ginger entries! The most all around entertaining competition on the inter webs for sure! Congrats to the winners!!!!

8. Cindy Walton December 27, 2016 at 7:00 pm #

Thank you for hosting this fantastic contest, and huge congratulations to the winners (all well deserved!), and a big thank you to the judging panel. Y’all are my new best friends!