meet the 2016 ginger panel

ginger is coming // movita beaucoup

Prepare yourselves! Beginning tomorrow, you will see 18 ginger masterpieces on this here blog. Given that there are only three cruddy prizes, it is pretty clear that our participants aren’t in it for the winnings. This almost-friendly competition has become a holiday tradition for a lot of people!

Voting for the People’s Choice Prize begins on Tuesday and will continue until Friday. The (one) ginger creation with the highest total number of votes will claim the prize. There are four groupings of ginger creations; you can cast a vote in each poll. That means you can vote for four ginger masterpieces!

Don’t forget to leave a shout out for your favourite entries in the comment sections – I know it means a lot to our competitors. Let’s make everyone feel like a winner, okay? You can support your favourite entries by encouraging your friend to vote too. If you have more than one friend, good for you. Maybe stop bragging for a second and focus on this competition, okay?

ginger 2016 // movita beaucoup

I’d like to introduce you to the members of the 2016 Ginger Panel, tasked with selecting the 1st and 2nd place winners from a pile of ginger awesome.

Meet the 2016 Ginger Panel!

Adopamop Beaucoup

Adopamop is my brother. He will most definitely take this job far too seriously, and bitch about ginger fundamentals that no one else gives a rat’s ass about. Adopamop currently resides in France. France makes a lot of wine and cheese, and is partially responsible for the popularity of striped shirts and berets.

Jenni Field

Jenni lives in North Carolina. North Carolina has a variety of lovely soils in which they grow a lot of sweet potatoes. The state reptile is the Eastern box turtle. Jenni is a former pastry chef, and blogs at pastrychefonline.com. She also rescues and fosters kitties, which is one of the most important jobs on the planet.

Karen Kerr

Karen lives in California. Did you know that roadrunners are a real thing? They are! And they live in California. Karen has had a number of careers, which makes her an interesting party guest. She blogs at karenskitchenstories.com, and is a self-proclaimed bread geek. Bread isn’t particularly good for birds, so if you meet a roadrunner, try feeding it crickets.

Jo-Anne Lambert

Jo-Anne is a ballet teacher and inspiration to many. She lives in Alberta. Her city has a small trout pond, and has adopted the trumpeter swan as its official symbol. Trumpeter swans are quite loud, though some would argue that they are also musical because their calls sound like trumpets. I guess if you like a bunch of trumpets blasting you in the face, those people might be right.

Katherine Rohrbaugh

Katherine manufactures Kraft Dinner in Chicago. (Kraft Dinner is Canada’s national food.) Chicago is the birth place of ferris wheels. Ferris wheels are one of my greatest fears, but because Chicago is also the birthplace of vacuum cleaners – one of my most favourite things – a sort of balance has been achieved. Katherine has a blog (eggton.com), but hasn’t updated it lately because making Kraft Dinner for Canada is very time consuming.

Shannon Weber

Shannon lives in St. Louis. That’s where 7-Up was invented. It’s also considered the hometown of Nelly, who is a famous rapper. There is some talk of changing the name of St.Louis to Nellyville. (That’s what happens when you are a huge star in the Midwest.) Shannon is a features writer and columnist for Feast Magazine, and blogs at aperiodictableblog.com. Honestly, I think Shannyville has a nice ring.

Mrs. Rutherford

Mrs. Rutherford is one of the best ballet teachers in Canada, and a fellow graduate of Canada’s National Ballet School. She is also my enemy. I thought if you didn’t win Ginger 2016 you might like to have someone to blame. Mrs. Rutherford lives in Halifax with me. Halifax has more pubs per capita than any other city in Canada. We drink because we have to.

13 Comments

1. Eva on December 19, 2016 at 9:03 am

Priceless…goal for 2017…make the ginger panel and put Montreal on the Movita map

2. Eggton on December 19, 2016 at 9:46 am

My son calls the vacuum cleaner “lawn mower!” Maybe I should bring him to Alberta and see if he can vacuum us some dinner out of the trout pond.

3. Christine Arab on December 19, 2016 at 10:02 am

I LOVE Kraft Dinner. This person must rock. I don’t drink and I live in Halifax. But I judge those who do (which may be why they drink??). I eat though, and Pubs have great food so I’m happy about that. Who is Nelly?

4. SnugglesC a.k.a. Cyndy on December 19, 2016 at 12:46 pm

There is so much awesomeness in this panel and with your hostess, I can hardly wait to get the word out about GINGER 2016!!!

5. Stacy on December 19, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Your ginger panel rocks, Movita! I am particularly thrilled to hear from Katherine again. I have so missed her updates on Eggton. So much that I have left her link in My Favorite Blogs, just so I don’t miss it if she posts again. I hope she’s there in the Kraft legal department making sure they keep that orange cheese powder in the original mac and cheese. People have the right to eat foods that evoke nostalgia on occasion, even if they contain ingredients we can’t pronounce. I’d love to hear how her baby boy is doing. And Thunder. I miss Thunder. Yes, I’m pathetic. I also want you to know that I do have at least one real friend. Maybe. And I’m looking forward to Ginger 2016.

6. Stephbo on December 19, 2016 at 10:27 pm

I thought Nelly had already changed the name of St. Louis to Nellyville. At least that’s what he told me when I was driving downtown in my Range Rover.

I, too, have missed Katherine and her blog, so it’s nice to see her here.

Welcome to all the Ginger Judges! I look forward to your impartial judging (and by “impartial,” I totally mean “biased towards my creation.”

7. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories on December 19, 2016 at 10:48 pm

I am soooo excited!! Overly so. Like bread geek excited.

• movita beaucoup on December 20, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Wow… that’s excited!

8. Mike Harvey (@Tw0fl0wer) on December 20, 2016 at 8:01 am

Vacuum cleaners are one of your most favourite things? I knew you were weird, Movita but I never realised you were /that/ weird.

• movita beaucoup on December 20, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Mike! Vacuum cleaners are the best! THEY CLEAN STUFF FOR YOU! And all you’ve gotta do is plug it in and push it around! Instant gratification…

9. Amy @ Elephant Eats on December 20, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Oooh, love this judge list!!! Can’t wait to read the commentary 🙂

10. Jenni on December 23, 2016 at 3:48 pm

An excellent Ginger season! I wielded my judgy power with abandon! Happy Holidays and delicious days to all!