diy clay gift tags/ornaments

diy clay gift tags and ornaments | movita beaucoup

Lemme start by saying I didn’t invent clay, gift tags, or clay gift tags. But I do cherish any opportunity to make other people feel inferior over the holidays. Crafting my own clay gift tags makes me look super committed to the holiday season without putting in a lot of effort. The fact that they can alternate as tree ornaments is a nice bonus, and makes me look extra clever.

diy clay gift tags and ornaments | movita beaucoup

If you, too, would like to make other people feel inferior you’ll need:

• oven-bake clay (I used white Sculpey, but there are a variety of brands and colours available at craft stores)
  • rolling pin
  • tiny cookie cutters
  • skewer
  • baker’s twine/string
  • parchment paper (optional)

Plus some decorating mediums such as:

• stamps/presses
  • stencils
  • craft paint
  • small paint brushes

diy clay gift tags and ornaments | movita beaucoup

Knead a portion of clay until soft and smooth and then roll out 1/4 inch thick. I rolled mine on the counter and then cut the shapes on scraps of parchment paper. (I found that the clay was easier to lift from the paper without shape distortion.) Use small cookie cutters to cut out your tags – any shape you like. Tiny trees would be adorable. (Why didn’t I make tiny trees?)

I used an 8 oz. package of clay to make 47 ornaments ranging from 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.

diy clay gift tags and ornaments | movita beaucoup

Press designs into the ornaments or leave as is. I left some plain, and pressed others with a small wreath stamp and letters. Do not paint before baking.

Use a skewer to poke a hole for the string or hanging apparatus. Carefully lift and place the ornaments on a baking sheet and then bake according to package instructions (mine required 15 minutes at 275°F). After baking, allow the clay to cool and fully harden before embellishing.

Use acrylic craft paint and/or stencils to embellish your tags. You could even use a Sharpie to write the gift recipient’s name on the back of the tag. Thread with baker’s twine, ribbon or human hair.

diy clay gift tags and ornaments | movita beaucoup

Once finished, kick up your feet and bask in DIY glory. Rolling your eyes at store-bought gift tags is optional but highly recommended.

33 Responses to diy clay gift tags/ornaments

1. Stacy November 13, 2014 at 6:34 am #

I would leave a pithy comment but I am smothering under the heavy weight of my inferiority complex.

2. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 13, 2014 at 8:31 am #

I look at these gorgeous tags and how clever you have to be to think this stuff up and part of me wants to hate you. The other part thinks you’re the bomb. 🙂

• movita beaucoup November 13, 2014 at 11:55 am #

Maybe you should just love to hate me?

3. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen November 13, 2014 at 10:29 am #

I LOVE these! Oh.. time to get my “craft” on!! You make this look so easy.. I’m going to have to get creative and give these a try. I haven’t heard of Sculpey before but I do have that little rolling pin:D xx

• movita beaucoup November 13, 2014 at 11:55 am #

Says the woman with a champagne Christmas tree! You make everything look easy… xox

4. Lan | morestomach November 13, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

you’re so fancy.

5. ain0v1ews November 13, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

I can see you rolling your eyes from here… missed the tags strung on human hair, though. Post those pics as soon as you can.

6. natalie @ wee eats November 13, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

I actually kind of love this idea. And I definitely want to make people feel bad on the holidays. Done.

• movita beaucoup November 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Making people feel bad is the best part of the holidays. Also, eating.

• Stacy November 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

Eating is the best. But making people feel bad comes in a very close second. If your tags were also edible, you could win both categories.

• movita beaucoup November 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

I’M ON IT.

7. Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me November 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Love these! I’ve been tinkering w/ Sculpey lately and this project looks perfect. Looks shmancy, but super easy 🙂 Btw, your other commenters are just as hilarious as you are. I get nervous posting a boring, normal comment, lol 🙂

• movita beaucoup November 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

One day my readers will take over this blog. There will be no stopping them. They’re too clever.

• Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me November 13, 2014 at 11:20 pm #

I don’t doubt a coup in your future 🙂

8. michele neese November 13, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

Wow! You have out done yourself- again!

9. thatskinnychickcanbake November 13, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

Totally envious of your crafty gene!

10. semiswede November 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

These are so great! I’ll have to see if I can figure out the equivalent of scupley in Sweden and get on this project. Or, maybe I’ll buy the clay (provided I can find it) and just let it sit in the drawer with the vintage ballerina cake toppers I “had to have” after your little transformed ballerina posts two years or so ago and I couldn’t find modge podge, or whatever it was called. Maybe I can do both of these projects in 2020 if/when I move back to the states and if/when I get my act together.

11. Melissa November 13, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

I’m glad I met Hadley first. She only made me feel intellectually inadequate. You just make me feel all sorts–crafty, DIY, baking–inadequate!

12. thekalechronicles November 14, 2014 at 1:59 am #

These are so neatly done, so precise. You are already making some of us look bad…

• Stacy November 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Pretty sure that was the point. Just resign yourself to loving to hate her. Or hating to love her. Something like that.

• movita beaucoup November 14, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Love to hate me, people. Love to hate me.

13. Willow @ Will Cook For Friends November 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

I am absolutely doing this. Firstly, because I, too, like making people feel inferior around the holidays (but usually I’m the one feeling inferior, because frankly, I suck at the holidays). Secondly, I have a tendency to lose control of my lower jaw when walking past cute gift tags in the store, and I believe this issue is in direct relation to the price of said gift tags. I’m hoping that once I make some of these, the condition will resolve itself.

14. Charlene November 17, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

What a clever idea! I am gonna steal this to make some Xmas extras for the holidays for friends and family. 😀

15. shannon November 23, 2014 at 9:18 am #

omg making people feel inferior over the holidays? my best thing ever. I actually come from a long line of women who live for that same feeling, and we do it with ease…and crafts. I’m totally making these because i love them.
    i think it goes without saying that Mr. Table will enjoy me adding even more craft supplies to the stockpile.

16. Gaby Bee December 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

These are beautiful! I tried to get my dog to imprint her paw in one of them a couple of years ago, but it didn’t work too well. Can you share where you got the letter stamps? I could not find them that large.

Thank you!

• movita beaucoup December 3, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Hi Gaby! A paw print would have been AWESOME!! The letter stamps are from Wilton. (I think!) They come in a set for cake decorating. I don’t see the exact set on their website, but I got it years ago. It’s something like this: http://goo.gl/tqTWf5, and I bet you could find it any your local cake decorating store or Michael’s!

1. Cool DIY Gift Tags Or Ornaments From Clay | Shelterness - November 25, 2014

[…] Cool gift tags can make your gift even more special and memorable. Let’s make these cuties of clay, you’ll need oven-bake clay, a rolling pin, tiny cookie cutters, a skewer, baker’s twine/string, parchment paper, stamps/presses, stencils, craft paint, small paint brushes. Knead a portion of clay until soft and smooth and then roll out 1/4 inch thick. Use small cookie cutters to cut out your tags – any shape you like. Press designs into the ornaments or leave as is. Do not paint before baking. Use a skewer to poke a hole for the string or hanging apparatus. Carefully lift and place the ornaments on a baking sheet and then bake according to package instructions. Read the next steps here. […]

2. 9 Adorable DIY Ornaments - December 10, 2014

[…] 9. Clay Gift Tag Ornamentsby Movita Beaucoup […]

3. How to Make Leather Gift Tags and Ornaments – Craftivity Designs - November 6, 2017

[…] Clay Gift Tags or Ornaments […]