on freezing cakes

freezing cakes | movita beaucoup

When I’m making a cake for someone, I always bake the cake a day or two ahead of time and freeze it. ALWAYS. It’s a great way to be more efficient on decorating day, and I find a little freezer time gives tender cakes stability and makes them easier to handle when decorating.

I don’t frost or decorate my cakes before freezing. I don’t need the stress of wondering if a bag of frozen peas has crushed my buttercream roses. (When I say bag of peas, I mean: 2.0. And when I say crushed, I mean: munched upon.)

More tips:

After baking, fully cool cakes before freezing. Otherwise they’ll sweat in their wrapping, and that cake sweat will freeze. Frozen sweat crystals? No thanks.

Trim/level/torte your cakes before freezing. That way they are ready to go straight out of the freezer.

Wrap cakes in a few layers of plastic wrap before freezing. Each cake layer should be wrapped separately. The cakes should be wrapped tightly, but not so tightly that you distort the shape. If you have a huge freezer bag on hand, slip them in there for extra protection.

Lay the cakes on a flat surface in the freezer. This helps the cakes maintain their… flatness. I like to stack them once they’re frozen to save space in my freezer for more cake vegetables.

freezing cakes | movita beaucoup

Do not take the plastic wrapping off your cake when defrosting. Set the wrapped cakes on a wire rack (in a single layer) and allow to come to room temperature. That way, any condensation will stay on top of the plastic wrapping and prevent your cake from getting soggy. Have I ever told you how much I loathe soggy cake? You will never see tiramisu or trifle on this blog.

When baking for a special occasion, I only freeze the cake for a day or two before decorating to ensure freshness. Ideally, your cakes should be used within one to two weeks of freezing to ensure perfect taste. That said, I just ate a cake that I found at the bottom of my freezer that was at least two months old*, and it was glorious.

freezing cakes | movita beaucoup

* I’m quite sure the cake was 11 months old.

20 Comments

1. thatskinnychickcanbake on January 27, 2015 at 7:29 am

Keep these tips coming! And I’ll happily eat any of your 11 month old cakes (especially since you’ve gone to such care to keep them void of frozen sweat)!

2. sublimedelights on January 27, 2015 at 10:16 am

Great information! I didn’t know you could do this. I assume it is the same for sweet breads that you don’t put icing on like banana bread, etc?

• movita beaucoup on January 27, 2015 at 10:53 am

I often freeze sweet breads and muffins, and I’ve never had a problem!

3. Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me on January 27, 2015 at 10:50 am

Very useful! Tx Ms. Movita! 🙂

4. Lan | morestomach on January 27, 2015 at 11:45 am

thank you for this. this is so good to know.

5. Sandra R on January 27, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Love this. And this also avoids trying to decorate beyond my limits of patience, resulting in cakes that look like a myopic sleep deprived toddler handled the decorating tip. Great post.

6. allythebell on January 27, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I do this! Now I feel all smart and stuff!

• movita beaucoup on January 27, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I knew I liked you for a reason. (SMARTNESS.)

7. Rachel (Rachel's Kitchen NZ) on January 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm

I don’t bake much but this one tip that ensures for easy decorating and no crumb spread – if I have time (that is think ahead enough) I do this.

8. Cheri on January 27, 2015 at 6:38 pm

From now on, whenever I would have said “hold your horses” I will now say “freeze your cakes”.

• movita beaucoup on January 28, 2015 at 7:36 am

Yes. Let’s start doing that IMMEDIATELY.

9. tworedbowls on January 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Looove these tips. And 11-month-old cake.

10. Stop what you're doing and look at this! on January 28, 2015 at 2:00 am

[…] How and why you should always freeze cakes before decorating them. […]

11. wee eats on January 28, 2015 at 10:38 am

freezing cakes is BASICALLY the best thing ever. I have one question… sometimes I frost the cakes when they are still partially frozen (or, mostly, maybe totally, ya know, who really keeps track of these things) … um, should i NOT be doing this?

• movita beaucoup on January 28, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I know lots of people who do that! I can’t think of any reason to stop doing so – in fact, I believe Deb of Smitten Kitchen does that. So you’re in good company!

12. Holly on January 28, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I plan on making and freezing our wedding cake sponges much sooner than our wedding day decorating day! Love crumb coating on pre-frozen cake! Great post!

13. Lady Schiz NIzzle Tofu on January 29, 2015 at 12:23 am

When are you a having cake decorating/ drinking workshop?

14. shannon on January 29, 2015 at 11:39 am

as always, you’re full of the helpful tips. I will now freeze all the cakes i make, because who has the energy to bake AND frost in the same day? not this girl.

15. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on February 11, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I’ve never frozen a cake layer before frosting but I know so many people who do. I’m going to try it with my next cake. I won’t let 2.0 have a peek in the freezer.

16. movita beaucoup on June 27, 2016 at 7:23 am

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in January 2015.