oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast

oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast | movita beaucoup

A few days ago, 2.0 announced that we were to start dieting. Twenty seven of you thought it was a brilliant idea, and my mother sent me an email about eating vegetables.

status update | movita beaucoup

Sometimes, as I eat my breakfast and gaze out the window, I can see people frolicking in the out-of-doors. Some of those people are running. Running for fitness. And though exercise might seem like a better option than reducing caloric intake, I don’t run unless being chased.

That said, several years ago, just before meeting 2.0 (and in a fit of insanity), I gave running a try for several months weeks days. One morning, whilst running from nothing in particular, a most peculiar thing happened. As I approached a man on the sidewalk, he cleared it for me. He moved right off the sidewalk and onto the road. He flung his arms out to the side and acted as a human barricade. He kept the path completely clear with his outstretched arms and wide stance. And as I passed, he yelled, “good for you!

oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast | movita beaucoup

I was pretty confused. Mostly because the “good for you” was the kind you expect to hear hollered at someone facing great challenges or adversity in life. It was the kind of good for you reserved for someone learning to walk again after a freak unicycle accident, or a hoarder who has finally managed to find their toilet under 5 million pounds of garbage. Survive a run-in with a garishly made-up clown in a dark alley? Good for you.

oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast | movita beaucoup

The “good for you” was accompanied by a fist pump in the air. And it was yelled very loudly – loudly enough to stop a number of people in their tracks to watch me run by. And as I rounded the corner I could hear a, “you go girl!” in the distance.

That’s why I don’t run for fitness. People get creepy about it. And if you aren’t going to run for fitness, you probably shouldn’t bother with the pretence of dieting. Which brings me to this French toast.

oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast | movita beaucoup

This French toast is soft, sweet and filling. The buttery, egg-infused brioche makes it especially rich, and the oatmeal coconut crusting gives it a little chew. We prefer our French toast swimming in a pool of maple syrup, but it would also be nice with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and some fresh fruit. Brioche has a tender crumb, and works best for this recipe, but I think challah would do nicely as well.

oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast | movita beaucoup

Oatmeal Coconut Crusted Brioche French Toast

print and make

Serves 4-6 – depending on size of loaf, slices and appetites.

• 1 large loaf brioche, sliced
  • 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned, not quick-cook)
  • 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon
  • salt oil or butter for frying

Mise en place – begin by getting organized. Read through the entire recipe before beginning. Measure out all of your ingredients.

Preheat your skillet over medium heat. Preheat oven to 175°F if not serving immediately (to keep French toast warm – see notes at bottom of recipe).

In a dish or plate with lip, combine the oats and coconut. Set aside.

In a large bowl or dish, whisk together the brown sugar and eggs, ensuring they are well combined and smooth. (Your dish should be wide enough to allow for easy bread dunking.) Whisk in the milk, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt, until well combined.

Lightly butter or grease the preheated skillet. Dip two or three slices of brioche in the milk mixture, coating all sides of the bread. Allow the excess to drip off and then dip in the oat/coconut mixture, coating both sides (use your fingers to gently pat the coating down so it will stick).

Place the slices in the warm skillet and cook until golden brown, then flip and cook second side until golden. Transfer the French toast to the oven to keep warm, and repeat until the entire loaf of brioche is cooked.

Serve with maple syrup or garnish of choice.

• I like to re-whisk the milk mixture before dunking each piece of bread to ensure the cinnamon stays evenly distributed.
  • If you run out of the oat/coconut coating, simply add more to the mix at a 1:1 ratio.
  • If not serving immediately, keep your French toast warm in the oven – preheat the oven to 175°F and place a baking sheet or heat-proof dish on the centre rack. Store the cooked French toast in there until serving – no more than 30 minutes, or your toast will be… toast.

31 Responses to oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast

1. Willow @Will Cook For Friends May 9, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Haha, I had a similar experience once. I ran past a driveway where this guy was pulling out in his car, and as I kept running he pulled up beside me and — I don’t remember what he said, but something very similar to “good for you” — and then told me I should enter the Olympics someday. Thankfully he drove on and took his awkwardness with him.

Also, I believe full-heartedly in maple-syrup-drenched-french-toast. I’d rather eat this than run (and run into creepy people) any day.

• movita beaucoup May 9, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

So, is that a no on the Olympics?

2. IgnorantBystander May 9, 2014 at 10:01 am #

I think you’re way overthinking the “good for you” episode.

The simplest explanation is that this man thought you were somehow profoundly disabled and that any sort of running was a significant achievement. I’ve never seen you run but there are lots of “experimental” runners out there who look like they only just figured out the whole “left-right-left-right-left-left…thud…oh crap” thing.

You go, girl.

• movita beaucoup May 9, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

This is extremely helpful. I had been running with a left-right-right-right-left system, which was complicated and made it difficult to build up speed.

Mystery solved!

3. Jennie @themessybakerblog May 9, 2014 at 10:41 am #

I do run for fitness, but it’s only because I eat more than my fair share of cake, ice cream, and sugar-laden desserts. I’d much rather be swimming in a pool of syrup. Yes, people are very creepy.

• movita beaucoup May 10, 2014 at 7:17 am #

Swimming in a pool of syrup burns a significant number of calories, and might make running redundant. (Might.)

4. Lan | morestomach May 9, 2014 at 10:51 am #

if someone were to yell out GOOD FOR YOU while inhaling this breakfast treat, technically they’d be right: BECAUSE IT IS GOOD FOR YOU.

5. natalie @ wee eats May 9, 2014 at 11:35 am #

I would seriously knife someone for this breakfast right now. I had some gross breakfast sandwich from starbucks that I carefully dissected (aka ate the bacon off of) and then threw the rest of it away….

I always think “good for you!” when I see someone running, Idk how they do it out here. All summer long. Even in the triple digits, the people are outside. Working on their fitness. They wear backpacks with water in them. It’s madness. I won’t even go outside when it’s that hot out let alone RUN. F that noise. Good for them, though.

I have not yet tried actually verbalizing my thought, nor accompanying it with a fist-pump. I will put that on my “to do” list for this year, although I would probably have to roll down my car window to do it… and it’s hot out…. so…. maybe I’ll wait until it cools down again. For now I’ll practice with my car window still up. Baby steps.

• movita beaucoup May 12, 2014 at 7:29 am #

I have a theory that a good number of people don’t actually run for fitness – they run to make us feel extra lazy. (Those are the people you see running at high noon on the hottest days of the summer.) F that noise, indeed.

I think I’ll buy one of those backpacks and fill it with gin this summer.

6. Mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry May 9, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

I’d run to the kitchen for some of this French toast! Then I’d have to catch my breath for about five minutes before i could eat it. Then maybe a fist pump or two so I could work out my arms as well. Does that count as exercise?

• movita beaucoup May 10, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Of course it does. You’ve described my ideal exercise routine…

7. Allison (Spontaneous Tomato) May 9, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

You come up with the BEST uses for coconut! (At this point in my comment, I will refrain from adding “you go, girl!”)

I would never run for fitness either. My only fitness occurs in yoga classes where everyone except the teacher is pretty much expected to keep their mouths shut. I would never want to experience having someone tell me “good for you” while exercising, or while doing almost anything else for that matter. I’m sure you interpreted that guy’s condescending intentions correctly, too… And I bet women get that kind of comment way more than men do.

• movita beaucoup May 12, 2014 at 7:34 am #

I’m obsessed with coconut. (They tried to make me go to rehab but I said, ‘no, no, no.’)

I admire people who do yoga. I can’t breathe, quiet my insides AND imagine that I’m the wind blowing through a sycamore tree at the same time. That’s why I do ballet. There’s more yelling and we don’t care if you breathe.

8. kerrycooks May 9, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

Ooooh yeah baby! These look soo good!

9. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories May 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

There’s always Prancercize!

• movita beaucoup May 10, 2014 at 7:13 am #

This is an exceptionally good point, Karen. I’m on it.

10. Lynne Knowlton May 9, 2014 at 7:26 pm #

Whaaaaaatt you don’t jog? LOL.

I jog up my staircase and I need CPR.

Jogging is for crazy people.

Gawd, I love ya girlie. Get ‘yer butt to Ontario and come sleep in my treehouse.

• movita beaucoup May 12, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Yes. Let’s have a treehouse sleepover. Please ensure all spiders have been relocated.

11. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 10, 2014 at 1:32 am #

Running? That’s like walking really really fast, isn’t it? Nup… don’t do that. I would, however, eat every single piece of this French toast swimming in maple syrup. The good stuff. It looks magical on that plate.

Exercise is a word my doctor used last week as in I should consider it. :eyeroll:

12. Elizabeth May 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

I recently downloaded an app to ease me into running since I’ve never done it (for exercise) and I thought I’d like a new challenge. I was wrong. Running phase over after one week. Bring on the French toast.

• movita beaucoup May 12, 2014 at 7:36 am #

This made me snort coffee outta my nose.

13. thekalechronicles May 11, 2014 at 2:23 pm #

The oat and coconut topping you have added to your French toast looks yummy. And you did it to add fiber to your diet and to lower the cholesterol from the cream and eggs, right? Right. Joggers and runners are sick puppies, or else they have some chromosome the rest of us don’t have. I’m a swimmer myself and a walker by necessity since I live on the edge of civilization.

14. auntbeckys May 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Oh ser-i-ous-ly! How can I NOT make this recipe! I am also on a diet, but come on! You had me at coconut!

15. emma May 13, 2014 at 9:40 am #

there’s nothing wrong with running. but there’s plenty wrong with dieting.

every time i try to pick up running, some mysterious ailment befalls me and i get depressed. i’ve had foot trouble, knee trouble, and now this friday i’m going in for my first ever surgery. but maybe this is the last time running gets the best of me. running, i’m comin atcha, y’all best be prepared. in one month’s time. slowly.

• movita beaucoup May 13, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

So, you mean walking. You’re gunna be comin’ at walkin’.

16. Matt May 13, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Oh man….another one of my favorites, French toast. I’m one of those people that could eat breakfast for dinner..or lunch…or second breakfast. Drown those suckers in syrup…(pronounced surrup, not searrup, Mellis)…and pass the butter too. But running? Nay. Maybe if a lion is chasing me, or if I see a tidal wave coming. Of course how far would I get, stuffed to the gills with oatmeal coconut crusted brioche french toast? Exactly.

17. Amy May 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Mmmm, this french toast looks so good! My weirdo husband sadly doesn’t like coconut or french toast (because the insides are mushy)…he also ENJOYS running. The horror!

18. Renee May 25, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

When asked by a potential new beau if I run, as in run for fitness, I said no. I only run if being chased by a pack of wild hyenas. I do like to walk fast though, but not creepy speed walking fast. But with a good gait. He didn’t seemed to bothered by the fact I don’t run. And I’ve since made him French Toast, but with croissants instead of all crusted with coconut and stuff. You keep giving me ideas! And here’s to never running! Unless we are being chased by unfriendly beasts.

19. wendy@chezchloe May 28, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Well hell. Now I don’t know if I should do a cake with petals or make some brioche so I can make some coconut crusted french toast. How’s that diet coming along?

20. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen May 29, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Haha.. I love your segue.. which brings me to this french toast:D I totally agree, only I am so slow I have the opposite problem. People hear me from behind.. they jump aside and then it takes me like five minutes to actually pass them.. and then they (and I) start laughing:D Dearest Movita.. please pass the brioche not the baton!!xx

21. movita beaucoup December 28, 2015 at 11:13 am #

Comments on this post are now closed as it was published in May 2014. Thanks for stopping by!